2014 Memorial Cup Location

Wiley Old Vet

Oct 8, 2011
I guess the league is just rigged :shakehead

Take your blinders off buddy. It's common knowledge that the more successful teams in every type of league get the accusations. Some calls can go our way, I admit. Then again, some go the other way. That's hockey. Don't understand this "diving their way to the Memorial Cup".

Knights earned their Memorial Cup in 2005, just like they earned their OHL championships these past 2 years. So did Owen Sound, and Windsor, and Kitchener...

Stop trying to discredit success.

I think you might have to take the blinders off. I did not see all the games but saw enough to notice a pattern and have noticed in other years a similar pattern. This year it looked like an anti Barrie bias. Barrie lost 7 games in the playoffs. Every game they lost except game 7 vs London was officiated by Ferguson. Ferguson impacted that game too by being the official who made the Camera call and ignored the hit on Scheifelle. For a team that had over 130 PIMs less than London they were called for an amazing 20 minutes more in the 3 and 2/3 games he officiated (including 5-5on3's). And if you take out the comeback game it was even worse. It could have been looked at like he gave 3 extra penaties to London when he thought the game was won. In Belleville he gave them 13 minutes more than Belleville in 3 games while the other officials penalized them 14 minutes less in the other 4 games.
Not that I am a conspiray theorist.
That makes me think maybe Branch is not on the up and up. Or he may have an agenda.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
You and other London fans spent 3-4 months trashing Saskatoon and how they weren't any good. That same Saskatoon team went out and dominated one of the best teams in Canada for 45-50 minutes. That's my point nobody knows who the best is you have to prove it on the ice. The Knights were the best in the OHL the past 2 years but haven't shown they are the best in the CHL. Next year they don't even have to show they are the best in the OHL they have already been awarded the championship to host.

Why shouldn't it be an I told you so situation? You did the same thing with Saskatoon this year.

Any team can beat any other team...on any given night. You know that the best team doesn't always win, right? The Erie Otters have beaten the Knights before... doesn't surprise me that Saskatoon can "compete". I think there's a lot of teams that could compete in this tournament. Plymouth, Barrie, Belleville, Owen Sound could give any of these teams a run for their money.

But the thing is... Saskatoon hasn't earned their spot there. That's why most people, not just Knights fans, hate when the host gets to play...or even worse...does well. They're getting their second bite at the apple. In a short tournament like this, sure they could win. Have they earned it? No. It's not a knock on Saskatoon, it's a knock on the format. How many people really considered Shawinigan the champions of North America last year?

Only uneducated fans were saying that Saskatoon would get stomped. In a short tournament like this, the win is up for grabs.

By the way, do you seriously think the 05 team needed home advantage to win the Memorial Cup? One of the best junior teams of all time.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
"If London won next year and were in the tourney no prob.but giving it to them to be in it for the 3rd time is ludicrious.What happened to Branch boosting smaller market teams or getting more exposure in the GTA??"

Aren't you one who said Windsor got screwed in not hosting in a year where could go 3 straight and now argue a against it.? Interesting your view changed.
I'm done. London got it. Going to be haters. No worries.

My view hasnt changed, Windsor didnt get it because if I rememeber the quote they didnt want the Spits in 3 times in a row and wanted it moved around to other teams for the good of the league.

Now a threepeat in the tourney is good for the league.What a *** joke.

Anyone but the F% Knights!!!!!

Go Wings!!!!!!!! btw

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
They didnt want the spits in 3 times in a row was the quote?

Kinda doubt the league would say that, but hey anythings possible in conspiracy land.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
That's why most people, not just Knights fans, hate when the host gets to play...or even worse...does well.

I love it when the home team does well. It shows the parity in the CHL. When a team that won 44 reg season games can come in and beat a team that won 55+, it shows the trophy really is up for grabs. It's not just a three-team race.

How many people really considered Shawinigan the champions of North America last year?

They beat Edmonton (west champ), Saint John (Q champ), and London (O champ) in four days. If that's not championship material, what is?

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Because they have a much larger budget and play 34+ games a year in a 9000 seat arena which is almost sold out every game. I am sure 19 other OHL teams could have brought Zadorov over from Moscow for the import draft, right? When you make more money it enables you to spend more money and make a better effort. Do you believe if Mark Hunter just left London to become GM of Peterborough or North Bay he would have the same success he's had in London? I'm sure Mark would get the next Pat Kane to play in North Bay.

How would you have any idea what costs what, and what budgets are. To do the dance and be 'everywhere', it costs roughly 10k. OHL team budgets generally are around $1 million.

If that cost is 'to much' for one single OHL GM to pull off, I question the ownership commitment to winning.

Again, its not a cost thing, its a question of 'who wants it more'. There are some in the league who are not willing to make those sacrifices.

cujoflutie

I think you might have to take the blinders off. I did not see all the games but saw enough to notice a pattern and have noticed in other years a similar pattern. This year it looked like an anti Barrie bias. Barrie lost 7 games in the playoffs. Every game they lost except game 7 vs London was officiated by Ferguson. Ferguson impacted that game too by being the official who made the Camera call and ignored the hit on Scheifelle. For a team that had over 130 PIMs less than London they were called for an amazing 20 minutes more in the 3 and 2/3 games he officiated (including 5-5on3's). And if you take out the comeback game it was even worse. It could have been looked at like he gave 3 extra penaties to London when he thought the game was won. In Belleville he gave them 13 minutes more than Belleville in 3 games while the other officials penalized them 14 minutes less in the other 4 games.
Not that I am a conspiray theorist.
That makes me think maybe Branch is not on the up and up. Or he may have an agenda.

Re-watch the 2011 playoffs and you'll notice a similar pattern to what has been pointed out; all the Finals games and the round robin game between Missisauga and Owen Sound had heavily favoured officiating towards Mississauga. Even the biggest haters of the Attack will admit an officiating bias.
2008 the officials were biased towards the Rangers in the Soo series.
2005 it was pretty much every London series, the officials were their 7th man. Peter DeBoer even pointed it out after a Rangers win in game 2 and got fined for it.

The league has an agenda, everyone who follows it closely save for London fans know this, the only debate being how far they will go to carry out their agenda.

From the recruiting standpoint I will defend London on that one; I’m sure they probably made some under the table promises in the past to players they were attempting to lure but much like the NFL’s spygate, there is a huge difference between doing it before the league established their crackdown and later. Windsor is the only team to get caught and thus the only team which has been proven to do it. No clue whether or not London has attempted it since, I can’t accuse them as it’s easy to make the argument that on ice success is a completely legal carrot they can dangle in front of these prospects. But I also am not naïve to believe it would not be within the character of Dave Branch to make it go away quietly should the angelic Knights get caught doing something illegal.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
(Shawinigan) beat Edmonton (west champ), Saint John (Q champ), and London (O champ) in four days. If that's not championship material, what is?
I can acknowledge Shawinigan's great performance last year while at the same time acknowledging that they should not have been there in the first place. Just like the Blades this year, only their case is much worse since they didn't win a single playoff game. I understand why the format is what it is, but it has this downside as the last two years have shown.

I'd prefer there was some minimum bar that the host team had to clear to earn their spot; the league semi-final seems about right. That means that they're still top-4 in their league's postseason and that they've got a minimum of 12 playoff games under their belt. Of course it won't happen, but a fella can always hope.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
How would you have any idea what costs what, and what budgets are. To do the dance and be 'everywhere', it costs roughly 10k. OHL team budgets generally are around $1 million.

If that cost is 'to much' for one single OHL GM to pull off, I question the ownership commitment to winning.

Again, its not a cost thing, its a question of 'who wants it more'. There are some in the league who are not willing to make those sacrifices.

You just gave an example of what it cost earlier and that was just for one prospect to see him a couple times (maybe more than a couple guys). You can question the commitment to winning to an extent but if you can't even comprehend the difference between operating budgets and revenues teams generate then I don't think there's much I can say. Here's an example I run Rogers Communications, you open up Tigers Communication company. Your company fails and goes into the crapper. Is it fair to say that you failed because lack of commitment to success or does it have to do because Rogers, Cogeco etc.. just swallowed you. This is what is happening in the OHL but you're blind to it. The big test will be the new rule with the import draft we get to see now whether the imports will go to any team or choose not to report to the not so good teams.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
You just gave an example of what it cost earlier and that was just for one prospect to see him a couple times (maybe more than a couple guys). You can question the commitment to winning to an extent but if you can't even comprehend the difference between operating budgets and revenues teams generate then I don't think there's much I can say. Here's an example I run Rogers Communications, you open up Tigers Communication company. Your company fails and goes into the crapper. Is it fair to say that you failed because lack of commitment to success or does it have to do because Rogers, Cogeco etc.. just swallowed you. This is what is happening in the OHL but you're blind to it. The big test will be the new rule with the import draft we get to see now whether the imports will go to any team or choose not to report to the not so good teams.

For the second time you've ignored the number thou. To make a full time commitment on the road, to be at between 400-500 games is less then a 10k. I outworked some full time GM's and only spend 4k. I get that you want/need there to be some sort of inequity here, but that's a small budget for a GM. Kyle Dubas is at more games than alot of GM's and he needs to fly in half the time. I think his budget is probably closer to 20k. If he can do it from the Soo, why can't others? 10k is generally 1 percent of a hockey teams operational budget.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
For the second time you've ignored the number thou. To make a full time commitment on the road, to be at between 400-500 games is less then a 10k. I outworked some full time GM's and only spend 4k. I get that you want/need there to be some sort of inequity here, but that's a small budget for a GM. Kyle Dubas is at more games than alot of GM's and he needs to fly in half the time. I think his budget is probably closer to 20k. If he can do it from the Soo, why can't others? 10k is generally 1 percent of a hockey teams operational budget.

And you ignored my question if Mark Hunter ran Peterborough would he have had the same success, it goes both ways. The inequity is there for all to see with the likes of Harrington and Domi dictating where they go, Scheifele a Saginaw draft pick not reporting and being dealt to Barrie and therefore reporting. I don't see the upside in spending a lot of money in scouting when kids are going to dictate where they go. I would rather spend my time talking to agents and building those relationships as opposed to spending 5k or whatever it is out of my own pocket to scout some player that wouldn't touch the team I am a scout for. You're failing to account for some draft classes not being as strong as others, furthermore not accounting for these kids seriously looking at NCAA schools. There are some organizations that simply cannot compete against top OHL programs and top NCAA schools. It's not so much about scouting players anymore it's about building relationships and greasing palms of people.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
And you ignored my question if Mark Hunter ran Peterborough would he have had the same success, it goes both ways. The inequity is there for all to see with the likes of Harrington and Domi dictating where they go, Scheifele a Saginaw draft pick not reporting and being dealt to Barrie and therefore reporting. I don't see the upside in spending a lot of money in scouting when kids are going to dictate where they go. I would rather spend my time talking to agents and building those relationships as opposed to spending 5k or whatever it is out of my own pocket to scout some player that wouldn't touch the team I am a scout for. You're failing to account for some draft classes not being as strong as others, furthermore not accounting for these kids seriously looking at NCAA schools.
There are some organizations that simply cannot compete against top OHL programs and top NCAA schools. It's not so much about scouting players anymore it's about building relationships and greasing palms of people.

FYI: Schiefele was rated a 'B' by OHL Central Scouting. He wasn't drafted with an NCAA commit, and only signed with Barrie after they rolled the dice on him in the Parks trade. Had he been drafted and offered an education package right away, he would have came to any time. That said, may not have been the same player. Need to know the background on players before throwing them out there.

With regards to players playing the NCAA game, how often has that happened in the past three years. Sure, Domi was London or bust, but after that, the 2011 draft was all fair game. Anyone could have drafted Horvat, he almost went 4th. With the new rules, there hasn't really been to many games played. There are some who don't really put the work in, don't pay attention to the draft who make assumptions, but there has only been 1 player on the past three years, and none in the last two, its a dead issue.

And you ignored my question if Mark Hunter ran Peterborough would he have had the same success, it goes both ways.

Sure he would. Look where London was when he went there. A broken franchise, with good history but a frustrated fan base. Sounds similar to Peterborough. The Petes have never had an issue with players reporting, its drafting in the 3rd, 4th and 5th round, bringing in the players that can play roles.

I don't see the upside in spending a lot of money in scouting when kids are going to dictate where they go.

But again, over the last two years, who's dictated anything? We use to have 2-3 a year, now? Nothing...the new rules have made it too attractive for teams to pick them (a la Kingston) and NCAA schools arn't committing too many players before the OHL draft anymore. Its corrected itself.

It's not so much about scouting players anymore it's about building relationships and greasing palms of people.

What players and what pams have been greased. I get that at one point there was an issue, and I get that you perceive there still is, but unless your in the rinks, talking to kids and their reps, how can you know what the culture of the draft is today?

Back to my original point, you suggested that there was a financial inequity with regards to scouting, that it wasn't financially viable for 'smaller market teams'. You since have changed your stance that its 'not worth it' to scout. What changed your mind?

Here is a quick tip from my time as a Scout/Coach/Etc. Those teams that win, the ones that keep winning playoff series, that are in the playoffs, are lead by GMs who put their work in and are at games. Its not a 'grease palms' situation, its working.The teams who fail, the ones who rarely make the playoffs and have poor systems and poor internal depth, are the ones who don't have GMs who put their work in. They sit at home and are not willing to make the same sacrifices as guys like Mark Hunter. The turn around in Guelph isn't because Mike Kelly came in and 'greased palms' its because they have made intelligent picks, and Mike is always in rinks. Its so easy, but so few GM's are actually willing to do it. No one wants to make that sacrifice.
The GM's who stay until 8 or 9pm are the ones who always seem to have the best teams, the ones who leave a 3-4pm are the ones who struggle to put together strong teams. You think thats chance?

If your GM is allowing himself to be outworked by Mark Hunter, that's a massive issue. You can control your work ethic and your ability to find those guys in the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds. You can control your ability to go to a Midget game and find a Josh Anderson, he was out there for anyone, but Mark Hunter went to a Midget tournament, one that no one else went too, and found him. You can control all these things, but not many are willing to do so. Until you do, London will continue to win.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I can acknowledge Shawinigan's great performance last year while at the same time acknowledging that they should not have been there in the first place. Just like the Blades this year, only their case is much worse since they didn't win a single playoff game. I understand why the format is what it is, but it has this downside as the last two years have shown.

While I respect the reason you don't believe they should be there (didn't win the league), you have to admit that, like Saskatoon, their record showed they can play with the best. They were 45-16 and 1st in the East. That's impressive, no matter how you slice it. Sure, the Blades lost out in the first round, but that happens. It shouldn't, but it does; teams get hot at the right time and Saskatoon simply choked. This is their time to prove they belong and, so far, so good.

As for greasing palms and all that - I think there is some politics involved (I'd be shocked if there wasn't), but when you can draft a kid like Eric Locke in the late rounds, that's just good scouting.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
As for greasing palms and all that - I think there is some politics involved (I'd be shocked if there wasn't), but when you can draft a kid like Eric Locke in the late rounds, that's just good scouting.

Yup, sometimes a bit of luck, but definitely a situation where Windsor targeting him. Their GTA guy was on him hard all year. Rychel came to see him play 2-3 times. Windsor wins (was a good trade asset). That wasn't that expensive, a tank of gas.

How anyone thinks that that's not important, working hard and getting out there, I dont get it.

Last edited:

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Because sadly that's the way our society works nowadays. Blame everyone else for your issues and look for handouts

Maybe, or create conspiracies in order to deal with failure?

End of the day, hard work trumps. It may be a bitter pill to swallow for some, but its true in almost every industry.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
FYI: Schiefele was rated a 'B' by OHL Central Scouting. He wasn't drafted with an NCAA commit, and only signed with Barrie after they rolled the dice on him in the Parks trade. Had he been drafted and offered an education package right away, he would have came to any time. That said, may not have been the same player. Need to know the background on players before throwing them out there.

With regards to players playing the NCAA game, how often has that happened in the past three years. Sure, Domi was London or bust, but after that, the 2011 draft was all fair game. Anyone could have drafted Horvat, he almost went 4th. With the new rules, there hasn't really been to many games played. There are some who don't really put the work in, don't pay attention to the draft who make assumptions, but there has only been 1 player on the past three years, and none in the last two, its a dead issue.

Sure he would. Look where London was when he went there. A broken franchise, with good history but a frustrated fan base. Sounds similar to Peterborough. The Petes have never had an issue with players reporting, its drafting in the 3rd, 4th and 5th round, bringing in the players that can play roles.

But again, over the last two years, who's dictated anything? We use to have 2-3 a year, now? Nothing...the new rules have made it too attractive for teams to pick them (a la Kingston) and NCAA schools arn't committing too many players before the OHL draft anymore. Its corrected itself.

What players and what pams have been greased. I get that at one point there was an issue, and I get that you perceive there still is, but unless your in the rinks, talking to kids and their reps, how can you know what the culture of the draft is today?

Back to my original point, you suggested that there was a financial inequity with regards to scouting, that it wasn't financially viable for 'smaller market teams'. You since have changed your stance that its 'not worth it' to scout. What changed your mind?

Here is a quick tip from my time as a Scout/Coach/Etc. Those teams that win, the ones that keep winning playoff series, that are in the playoffs, are lead by GMs who put their work in and are at games. Its not a 'grease palms' situation, its working.The teams who fail, the ones who rarely make the playoffs and have poor systems and poor internal depth, are the ones who don't have GMs who put their work in. They sit at home and are not willing to make the same sacrifices as guys like Mark Hunter. The turn around in Guelph isn't because Mike Kelly came in and 'greased palms' its because they have made intelligent picks, and Mike is always in rinks. Its so easy, but so few GM's are actually willing to do it. No one wants to make that sacrifice.
The GM's who stay until 8 or 9pm are the ones who always seem to have the best teams, the ones who leave a 3-4pm are the ones who struggle to put together strong teams. You think thats chance?

If your GM is allowing himself to be outworked by Mark Hunter, that's a massive issue. You can control your work ethic and your ability to find those guys in the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds. You can control your ability to go to a Midget game and find a Josh Anderson, he was out there for anyone, but Mark Hunter went to a Midget tournament, one that no one else went too, and found him. You can control all these things, but not many are willing to do so. Until you do, London will continue to win.

I just don't believe it's worth it to invest the money if other big markets pour more money into scouting. By all accounts Tyler Seguin picked his spot and that's what I was told by a few people. How does Marner last until the final pick in the 1st round?

I know we are on different pages that's quite evident but let's be realistic with London that their most offensively talented forward played the draft game in Domi, one of their other top forwards was a 19 year old OHL drafted forward drafted by the Hawks where McKellar works. Their best defenseman played the draft game and goalie was a free agent signing. I know you love Mark Hunter but the top tier talent all came to London via draft games, free agent signing, NHL connection. Had very little to do with putting miles on the car to see these guys.

If all these inequities don't exist why have 3 teams won the last 5 OHL championships? I'm not blind to believe that it's not all on the up and up. The OHL is now becoming like the NBA it's all about 3-4 super teams being able to compete and nobody cares about the other 14-15 teams.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
I just don't believe it's worth it to invest the money if other big markets pour more money into scouting. By all accounts Tyler Seguin picked his spot and that's what I was told by a few people. How does Marner last until the final pick in the 1st round?

Great, regarding Seguin, did you see how I said it had not happened in the last 2 years? And only 1 player in the last 3 years? Seguin draft was 5 years ago....

Marner was rated 31st by OHL Central Scouting. Did you see him play this year? If not, how can you have a feeling for 'where he should be rated'. Most where surprised he was a 1st...again, context is needed here.

You keep saying that there are all these 'favors', but go back to guys who are 92's, 93's and 95's. My first comment to you was to ask about what players in the past three years, outside of Domi, have done this. So far your only comment back was that an forward rated 31st went 19th. That's a favor? If you didn't know where Marner was rated, how can you say 'how did he fall'.

I get what you believe, but you should come out to the rinks and see the evidence. You honestly think its pure fluke that the hardest working GM in the league has the best team? That the next hardest working teams have the next highest, and that the GM's who you never see usually struggle to compete?

You have said your jagged, but honestly, just think about that for a second...

The team that London built, through the draft with 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks playing impact roles...., guys who every other team passed on, never played the NCAA game and where simply smart picks, you HONESTLY think that those nights in the rinks have little to do with it??? Staying later then anyone and getting more views in? The work is secondary???? I don't know what else to say...

Bo Horvat could have went anywhere...happy to play where he was picked. I think he was rated in the 20's by OHL Central, London believed in him, did their homework, and are now reaping the rewards. Whats the favor there? What favour was Josh Anderson? Undrafted kid who Mark found in a Midget tournament...happy to go anywhere, but again, Mark did his work, missed some meals with the family and found the kid. See a trend here?

I just don't believe it's worth it to invest the money if other big markets pour more money into scouting.

It costs Mark Hunter roughly 10k to do what he does. That's about 1 percent of the AVERAGE OHL's hockey operations budget. Its easily matched. Kyle Dubas plays almost double. Its not an investment issue, its a work ethic issue.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Marner was rated 31st by OHL Central Scouting. Did you see him play this year? If not, how can you have a feeling for 'where he should be rated'. Most where surprised he was a 1st...again, context is needed here.

First rule of internet debating - "facts must never be brought into a debate." :laugh:

Tigers, the info is greatly appreciated. Windsor has had some serious hard work put into drafts in the past and, as much as we've had some bombs, we've had some great finds. Do I believe that London is completely on the up-and-up? No chance. I don't believe many times are, either. That said, they clearly put their due diligence in and I respect that.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
First rule of internet debating - "facts must never be brought into a debate." :laugh:

Tigers, the info is greatly appreciated. Windsor has had some serious hard work put into drafts in the past and, as much as we've had some bombs, we've had some great finds. Do I believe that London is completely on the up-and-up? No chance. I don't believe many times are, either. That said, they clearly put their due diligence in and I respect that.

My whole point with this whole debate was, how can you complain about Mark Hunter having unfair advantages when most if not all GM's don't compete with him on the easiest thing there is, work ethic. You can't control your population or the supply and demand for your product, but you can control how many games you go to.

The Domi and Harrington picks are shady, no doubt, but the picks in the 4th and 5th rounds are where they win. Everyone shied away from the Ruperts in 2010, thinking that where too small and couldn't cut it in the OHL. Hunter did his work and got them together. Look at how that worked. Once GM's are willing to match his work ethic, and still come up short, then we can talk.

There was one GM this year who I only saw at the OHL Cup, his only job is to be the General Manager, hes not a coach. Why does he allow himself to get outworked when his team hasn't won a championship in years?

Last edited:

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Thanks, as always, for the insight Tigers

I'm at my whits end. I've never been part of a debate that seems so straight forward. The GM who is at the most games is the most successful. The next GM's, the ones who put in a decent amount of work, are fairly consistent. The next level of GM's, the ones that we rarely see, struggle to make the playoffs consistently. But the issue is the GM who works hard?

I'm shocked Razor isn't upset at the other GM's who don't put their work in and allow London to continue to find players. Hes a draft expert now too?

Refuses to acknowledge the posts about the Josh Anderson's, the Rupert's, the guys who Hunter put extra work in on and found.

I get the need to have a team to 'hate', but id hate the team that is lazy and goes about it half way, not the team that does it the right way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad