2014 Free Agency and Trade Discussion Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandforks

Dec 14, 2011
BillD:

Dude you're old!!!
I might be the only one here who remembers Johnny Mize. Quite The slugger.

Lol. My parents weren't even in kindergarten when Mize retired. But I do enjoy baseball history, and Mize is one of the all-time greats.

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
I'd be 100% down for a Bailey-Petry swap given our recent signings. Why Edmonton is keen to trade Petry is beyond me, they need to hold on to what defense they have. It'd be like the Isles considering moving de Haan/Hamonic for top-6 LW for example...makes no sense.

IIlya4Life

Jun 6, 2014
Id trade bailey for a 7th, unfortunately we couldn't even get that cause noone would want to take that awful contract on, bailey is awful.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
I'd even add a lower spec for Petry. Talked to Jay about it, decent advanced stats in a bad system. Kid is still relatively young, 6'2 RHD puck mover. Some size too. Bailey for Petry would be a fair swap.

we definitely can afford to deal an upper level prospect in the right deal. Reinhart and Pulock will get every opportunity to make the team the next couple of years. Hamonic and (hopefully) DeHaan are already longterm pieces. Someone like Pokka, Mayfield, or Sundstrom could definitely boost any potential trade package.

ledzep1212

COYB
Apr 5, 2007
Lindenhurst
Id trade bailey for a 7th, unfortunately we couldn't even get that cause noone would want to take that awful contract on, bailey is awful.

qDwsPML.gif

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

After this season's TDL, both Goring and Staple reported other teams tried acquiring Bailey.

The isles front office nixed moving Bailey, with some in the front office pointing out Okposo's inconsistent play and eventual breakout.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I'd be 100% down for a Bailey-Petry swap given our recent signings. Why Edmonton is keen to trade Petry is beyond me, they need to hold on to what defense they have. It'd be like the Isles considering moving de Haan/Hamonic for top-6 LW for example...makes no sense.

From what I have read it is a combo of Perry's bad 2013-2014 season and the Oiler's new additions also playing a shutdown style.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I'd be fine with a Bailey/Petry swap but the Oil just dumped a bad contract in Gagner, i don't see them taking on another one in Bailey...

But, the Oilers recently tried acquiring Bailey at the last TDL. Clearly , his contract is not an issue for them. With Gagner now traded, they need a #2 center or may be forced to play the 18 year old Draisati( sp) in that role. Brings back memories of the isles rushing Connolly and Bailey:shakehead

Also, both Schultz and Petry are rfas, looking for sizeable raises. Justin Schultz is a train wreck in his own end of the ice, But, like the Oilers other big name youngsters, he wants a contract based on his potential. He indicated Staal's $4.7m per, won't be enough to get him signed.

I am not sure what Petry's salary demands are. If they are as unrealistic as J. Schultz's.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007

I have said this before: If a 25 year old, 6 year veteran center, who plays two ways, kills penalties, and scores .5 ppg, was a UFA this week, it would not be unreasonable to see a 4 year @ $3.3M deal. That's Josh Bailey and the remainder of his contract. There will absolutely be a market for him and his contract.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I have said this before: If a 25 year old, 6 year veteran center, who plays two ways, kills penalties, and scores .5 ppg, was a UFA this week, it would not be unreasonable to see a 4 year @ $3.3M deal. That's Josh Bailey and the remainder of his contract. There will absolutely be a market for him and his contract.
Exactly! I wouldn't be in such a rush to dump Bailey.:handclap:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
What's with Pitkanen still on the UFA board?
This guy is a #2 or 3 defenseman only 30 years old. I know he was injured most of last year. Is he done at age 30?

Pitkanen hasn't been able to stake or do anything since he broke his heel. His career might be over and it's highly unlikely he gets back to being the player he was prior to the injury.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
Pitkanen hasn't been able to stake or do anything since he broke his heel. His career might be over and it's highly unlikely he gets back to being the player he was prior to the injury.

I think the report from earlier in the week was that he is still unable to put his foot in a skate

Drivefor5

Jul 31, 2010
NJ
Interesting read to further the rumors for a trade with Oilers for a defenseman. Not sure it has been posted already anywhere else or not. My apologies if it has been posted already.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2014/07/05/if-the-edmonton-oilers-are-targeting-a-new-york-islanders-forward-josh-bailey-shouldnt-be-no-1-on-their-list/

Seems like from what I am seeing in the article Jeff Petry, (pictured but not mentioned), would be the guy coming our way.

Come on Garth make up for your other trade blunders on this one and get this one done on the cheap, Bailey+ pick ?

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
I'd do a Bailey for Franson or a Bailey for Petry deal. I dont mind either Franson or Petry though because I think Reinhart and Franson/Petry could be a really nice bottom pair until Reinhart adjusts to the NHL game then I could definitely seem them moving up to become our 2nd pair.

de Haan - Hamonic
Hickey - Visnovsky
Reinhart - Franson/Petry

We would be a much bigger defensive unit with another natural right hander added to the team in Franson or Petry.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Interesting read to further the rumors for a trade with Oilers for a defenseman. Not sure it has been posted already anywhere else or not. My apologies if it has been posted already.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2014/07/05/if-the-edmonton-oilers-are-targeting-a-new-york-islanders-forward-josh-bailey-shouldnt-be-no-1-on-their-list/

Seems like from what I am seeing in the article Jeff Petry, (pictured but not mentioned), would be the guy coming our way.

Come on Garth make up for your other trade blunders on this one and get this one done on the cheap, Bailey+ pick ?

That rumor has to be this year's version of Bigfoot. A team with a blue line where every player is in a spot at least one level above their capabilities moving their best two way player? I can't say it is impossible because Milbury happens, but it is 99.999999999999% unlikely because logic. IMO, this is a case of a story being driven by a plethora of voices looking for something to write about.

We are spared this kind of nonsense because we have 1 beat reporter and an occasional rant from Brooks.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

That author has had a hard on for Isles players for a while. He's the same guy that did that 'Griffin Reinhart sucks, but the Oilers could use him' piece a while back. He's no better than an Oilers homer on HF.

If we're acquiring Petry, that means he'll need to be locked up to a contract as he's still unsigned. He's 26 and nearing UFA status, it's not cut and dried with him as a player due to the contract status. The Oilers defense is worse than ours, why would they deal Petry? His name coming up in rumors should raise an eyebrow.

He's a good player stuck on a crap team, but do we want him locked up long term while we have a ton of developing d-men that should all reach maturity within the next several seasons? I prefer getting a real veteran on a short term deal.

Drivefor5

Jul 31, 2010
NJ
That rumor has to be this year's version of Bigfoot. A team with a blue line where every player is in a spot at least one level above their capabilities moving their best two way player? I can't say it is impossible because Milbury happens, but it is 99.999999999999% unlikely because logic. IMO, this is a case of a story being driven by a plethora of voices looking for something to write about.

We are spared this kind of nonsense because we have 1 beat reporter and an occasional rant from Brooks.

Certainly a valid point that it is more rumor then reality but the bigger points from the article IMO are a few things:

• That the rest of the league are starting to take notice of our depth down the middle and potentially trying to get some of those assets in trade for their own teams.
  • What the potential value is for Bailey, Lee, Nelson.
  • Who we would consider untouchable from an outsiders perspective.
The worm is turning, we are entering an era where we can dictate term better then the past when it comes to trades, (salary cap, offensive roster, and defensive prospect depth), we just need a GM that knows how to use that to his advantage.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Certainly a valid point that it is more rumor then reality but the bigger points from the article IMO are a few things:

• That the rest of the league are starting to take notice of our depth down the middle and potentially trying to get some of those assets in trade for their own teams.
  • What the potential value is for Bailey, Lee, Nelson.
  • Who we would consider untouchable from an outsiders perspective.
The worm is turning, we are entering an era where we can dictate term better then the past when it comes to trades, (salary cap, offensive roster, and defensive prospect depth), we just need a GM that knows how to use that to his advantage.

Ugh. Until Snow adds a top four or Petry is dealt, Isle fans can expect more articles like the one below. No interest in Brock Nelson for Petry or Lee for Petry.:shakehead
If Nelson was headed to Edmonton, then I expect he woukd the key player in a package for Hall.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...d-josh-bailey-shouldnt-be-no-1-on-their-list/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad