OT: 2014 football thread iv: falcons docked pick for being dumb.

NYGBleedBlueNYR

Mar 16, 2010
I don't think Reese will pay the cost to move up for Leonard Williams but it's a rumor that keeps coming around that he really wants to

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Awful trade for the Jets. Why get Kaepernick when you can get Rivers? Plus Rivers to the Niners makes no sense as that team is about to get blown up again. Wilkerson is a great player. You don't give those away, worst case you franchise him. Your front 7 is the strength of your team.

If I'm the Jets my real weakness is QB and unfortunately imo even Winston and Mariota are not good enough to lead a playoff team. They need to trade for a vet. Although if you are gonna pick that high make the trade and get the QB. I just don't think either of them could handle NY. I don't think any of their WR are long term solutions. I take Amari Cooper or Kevin White with that pick.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Have been pushing this for a couple of weeks, claim ownership by bernmeister unless someone else documents prior....

Kapernick and DE Aldon Smith (a stop gap) to Jets

Rivers to 49ers

Muhammad Wilkerson and Geno Smith to Chargers for solid OT/OT prospect + a pick.
EDIT: that prospect + pick/OT is to Jets also

Think that works best...

Can't just make it a 2 team trade getting one of the QBs. Gotta make it a 3 team deal just to make it more crazy and complicated? Just don't get it.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Awful trade for the Jets. Why get Kaepernick when you can get Rivers? Plus Rivers to the Niners makes no sense as that team is about to get blown up again. Wilkerson is a great player. You don't give those away, worst case you franchise him. Your front 7 is the strength of your team.

If I'm the Jets my real weakness is QB and unfortunately imo even Winston and Mariota are not good enough to lead a playoff team. They need to trade for a vet. Although if you are gonna pick that high make the trade and get the QB. I just don't think either of them could handle NY. I don't think any of their WR are long term solutions. I take Amari Cooper or Kevin White with that pick.

Can't just make it a 2 team trade getting one of the QBs. Gotta make it a 3 team deal just to make it more crazy and complicated? Just don't get it.

yeah, i don't want kaepernick unless we are basically getting him for free.

It's about the fit...
Kapernick is a better fit for Jets, Rivers for SF

Kapy is younger, more raw talent, multi-dimensional. Would give 6ish yrs of production, IMO
Rivers is pro w/out issues, would give 2-4 years solid QB for SF

Also, making it 3 team helps NYJ, because we can demand a little more from SF and a lot more from SD. Those adds help!

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
At this point, I would give the #6 pick, our 2016 first plus another mid round pick to get Rivers from the Chargers if he showed any willingness to sign with us. I just think this team is really built to win now and Rivers would make us not only contenders but favorites out of the AFC.

If we keep the pick, I reallly really really want Fowler but that probably won't happen. I think basically the options for our pick at #6 are Fowler, Beasley, Dupree, Cooper, White, Mariota, Scherff and Williams and I have no idea who we'd pick from that group (obviously depends on who falls as well).

If we trade down, I think it will be for Peat because that is what the hot report seems to be. With Ivory, Ridley, and Powell I don't think we need to be drafting Gurley in the first round.

I don't even know where to start with this one.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
It's about the fit...
Kapernick is a better fit for Jets, Rivers for SF

Kapy is younger, more raw talent, multi-dimensional. Would give 6ish yrs of production, IMO
Rivers is pro w/out issues, would give 2-4 years solid QB for SF

Also, making it 3 team helps NYJ, because we can demand a little more from SF and a lot more from SD. Those adds help!

Kaepernick is a better fit how? And he is not really a good QB and has been on a downward trend (defenses are catching up to him). In the last 3 seasons (45 games), he threw for 8400 yards and 50 TDs. Philip Rivers in his last 2 seasons (32 games) he threw for 8700 yards and 63 TDs. To be fair to Kaep he also ran for 1500 yards and 10 TDs. So lets compare TDs. Kaep 60 in 45 games, Rivers 63 in 32 games.

Kaep also had the benefit of a much better defense and running game.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Johns top 10
1 Tampa-QB Winston DUH
2 Tennessee-QB Mariota If they dont make a trade
3 Jacksonville-WR Cooper DUH
4 Oakland DE Williams. Could go second.
5 Washington WR White
6 NY Jets OLB Dante Fowler
7 Chicago CB Waynes
8 Atlanta OL Scereff
9 NY Giants RB Todd Gurley. Gamebreaker. Win now while Eli still young
10 St Louis WR Parker

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I don't care how good a RB is in today's league they just don't warrant first round picks let alon top 10 picks.

Marshawn Lynch has been a dominant performer for Seattle and was acquired for a 4th and 5th rounder. Gurley is one of the few picks that would piss me off.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I don't care how good a RB is in today's league they just don't warrant first round picks let alon top 10 picks.

Marshawn Lynch has been a dominant performer for Seattle and was acquired for a 4th and 5th rounder. Gurley is one of the few picks that would piss me off.

Agreed. I don't think you could even spin picking Gurley as addressing a need. Especially after spending money on Vereen this offseason.

BarbaraAlphanse

My dream scenario would be to draft Cooper at 6 and then trade back into the first for Melvin Gordon.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
My dream scenario would be to draft Cooper at 6 and then trade back into the first for Melvin Gordon.

If Amari Cooper is available at 6, the Jets would be stupid not to take him. Brandon Marshall will only be good for another couple of seasons. Cooper has a very high ceiling moving forward.

NYGBleedBlueNYR

Mar 16, 2010
Cooper has a very high ceiling moving forward.

I like Cooper but I don't think his ceiling is that high. I'd say of the top 4 WR he actually has the lowest ceiling. He's got a tremendously high floor though. He's probably a Marques Colston. A consistently very good WR.

I think Cooper is getting overrated somewhat because he's good at what most college WRs need to work on. He's polished already, which automatically lowers his ceiling imo.

I think people think he's gonna be OBJ-esque & I think they'll be very disappointed.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Kaepernick is a better fit how? And he is not really a good QB and has been on a downward trend (defenses are catching up to him). In the last 3 seasons (45 games), he threw for 8400 yards and 50 TDs. Philip Rivers in his last 2 seasons (32 games) he threw for 8700 yards and 63 TDs. To be fair to Kaep he also ran for 1500 yards and 10 TDs. So lets compare TDs. Kaep 60 in 45 games, Rivers 63 in 32 games.

Kaep also had the benefit of a much better defense and running game.

Rivers has the experience and maturity.
But he has more of the typical wear and tear from that.
And while he likes CA, he's a family guy (Peter Griffin:laugh::naughty::D:amazed::nod:) who may not be too enamoured w/NYC. SF is loud and proud, but it is also reclusive and exclusive enough to be a good fit.

=======

I am now thinking
Ten says they are committed to their guy, a pocket passer
Other teams can't offer a difference maker at 6, plus a Wilkerson blue chip.

6OA
Wilkerson
Geno Smith (not with the Mariotta toolbox, but with some similar tools, makes a nice contrast, pushes the other guy without being overly threatening, potential trade asset thrown in if he matures)
next year's 4th, upgradeable to next year's 2nd based on Mariotta performance

for 2OA = Mariotta

THEN do a different deal w/SD for Rivers
Rivers for Kapernick
[of course, adds on all sides to both]

then Kap-meister to NYJ;
competition of 2 comparable style QBs
Kap wins on experience, Marriotta is groomed
then after 1-2 years w/both
trade 1 for assets at a profit.

Could see with Mariotta the seed today better developed at end of year, that desperate Chip Kelly and Eagles would seriously OVERPAY, even more than today.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Would be happy with the Jets getting a pash rusher or an offensive lineman. Probably favor taking an offensive lineman, play him at guard for a year, and then release Brick and let them take over tackle after next season. Probably make a case a rookie could start at the other tackle position for Giacomini this season who is about as average as they come.

I know that sounds pretty boring, but the Jets oline looks very similar to last years, and that is not a good thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad