Prospect Info: 2014 Draft Discussion II (June 27-28 in Philadelphia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
McCann reminds me a bit of Brayden Schenn.

Is that a fair comparison, or is he not that good?

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Here is the direct link to where Savage is referring to. There's definitely some reaches/fallers in the draft.

http://nesn.com/2014/05/2014-nhl-mock-draft-updated-projections-conference-finals-edition/

Interesting to see Barbashev so high in this one. I thought he was pretty comparable to McCann.

Since the draft never quite plays out as expected, I'm interested to see who is this year's Nichushkin, Teravainen, Mantha, etc. that falls below their projected spot.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Interesting to see Barbashev so high in this one. I thought he was pretty comparable to McCann.

Since the draft never quite plays out as expected, I'm interested to see who is this year's Nichushkin, Teravainen, Mantha, etc. that falls below their projected spot.

From all accounts, everything after the top 5 seems to be a crapshoot.

Have a feeling one of Ehlers, Ritchie, Virtanen will fall and be left for us at 15. If so I hope we pull the trigger without much hesitation.

I think Scherbak could be a guy like Nichuskin, Kuznetsov, Mantha the is taken much later than they should based on their talent level.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
From all accounts, everything after the top 5 seems to be a crapshoot.

Have a feeling one of Ehlers, Ritchie, Virtanen will fall and be left for us at 15. If so I hope we pull the trigger without much hesitation.

I think Scherbak could be a guy like Nichuskin, Kuznetsov, Mantha the is taken much later than they should based on their talent level.

It still seems strange to me how few defensemen are ranked highly this year. Besides Ekblad and Fleury, no one else seems to be rated in the top 15 or top 20 by many scouting services.

I wonder then, even if it is a weak year for defensemen, if we're going to see a couple teams go after guys like Sanheim and McKeown earlier than expected just based on organizational need. It seems to defy historical trends that out of the first 15 picks, 13 of them are going to be forwards.

Could be a good thing for us if some forward talent gets pushed down a few spots.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
MOD
McCann reminds me a bit of Brayden Schenn.

Is that a fair comparison, or is he not that good?

Poor mans Brayden Schenn. Not as physical and not as talented. When you think back to what Schenn was entering his draft year he has been fairly disappointing. My guess is he goes easily in the Top 3 this year, might be the #1 forward off the board.

Really both the Schenn's have disappointed, though I still like both because of the physicality they bring to the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Where is Ryan Mantha gonna fall? 6'5 D-man weighs in at 225, who shoots right and is from Michigan plus he has a last name we all enjoy.

He's going to either be heading to the University of North Dakota or Sault St. Marie depending on who drafts him.

He probably goes in the second, I am a pretty big fan. A lot like another UND alumni and Michigan native in Greene. We will see, I don't think he has much in the way of offensive skills, but he is a hard hitting stay at home type. An intriguing selection should he slide to us in the third.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Poor mans Brayden Schenn. Not as physical and not as talented. When you think back to what Schenn was entering his draft year he has been fairly disappointing. My guess is he goes easily in the Top 3 this year, might be the #1 forward off the board.

Really both the Schenn's have disappointed, though I still like both because of the physicality they bring to the game.

Figured as much.

Who would be a good comparison?
Derek Stepan?
JT Miller?

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
He probably goes in the second, I am a pretty big fan. A lot like another UND alumni and Michigan native in Greene. We will see, I don't think he has much in the way of offensive skills, but he is a hard hitting stay at home type. An intriguing selection should he slide to us in the third.
Plus, we could troll the **** out of the trade board.

Value of: Mantha

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Some late round guys that might be interesting are Hunter Smith at 6'7 and fairly inexperienced at the junior level. Had decent production this year. Alex Schoenborn is a rugged winger as well that shoots right and could be had later in the draft. Played a role on a really good team in his first full season with Portland.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
For the second time: THIS IS A DRAFT THREAD, NOT A JARNKROK TRADE THREAD!

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
I think we should be a bit worried since this is the first draft with a new director, who knows what kind of picks this guy will approve, we have no idea we can only hope he's as good as Jim Nill but there's no guarantee.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think we should be a bit worried since this is the first draft with a new director, who knows what kind of picks this guy will approve, we have no idea we can only hope he's as good as Jim Nill but there's no guarantee.

I think his last 3 drafts in Columbus were very good. I'm optimistic he'll do well.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
To be fair, last draft was with a new director, too. Jim Nill used to run that show before McDonnell stepped up.

But if we want to know what kind of picks Wright will make, we can look at the two drafts he did in Columbus. He was in charge for 2010 and 2011. He consulted for 2012, although Jarmo largely ran that one like Nill used to. Of note, he got Boone Jenner, who looks like a great young guy. Josh Anderson is another one. Late-ish rounder (4th), big winger who played on the WJC team.

It's also worth pointing out that Holland has a lot of influence on the first rounder. He's a longtime scout and is more involved in the process than most, so there are parts of the draft process that haven't changed at all.

Also, the European scouting staff is all the same. Plus, they still have the same WHL scout, the same Q scout, and the same college scout. It looks like the Wings lost McDonnell, who was head of amateur scouting, and Mark Leach, who did OHL scouting. No coincidence at all, the Wings brought in Tyler Wright and Andrew Dickson from Columbus to do head of amateur scouting and OHL scouting. So it looks like they've got it covered.

They've actually brought in two additional scouts on top of that: Kelly Harper, who's doing OHL, and Sam Lites, who's doing college.

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I think his last 3 drafts in Columbus were very good. I'm optimistic he'll do well.

To be fair, last draft was with a new director, too. Jim Nill used to run that show before McDonnell stepped up.

But if we want to know what kind of picks Wright will make, we can look at the two drafts he did in Columbus. He was in charge for 2010 and 2011. He consulted for 2012, although Jarmo largely ran that one like Nill used to. Of note, he got Boone Jenner, who looks like a great young guy. Josh Anderson is another one. Late-ish rounder (4th), big winger who played on the WJC team.

It's also worth pointing out that Holland has a lot of influence on the first rounder. He's a longtime scout and is more involved in the process than most, so there are parts of the draft process that haven't changed at all.

Also, the European scouting staff is all the same. Plus, they still have the same WHL scout, the same Q scout, and the same college scout. It looks like the Wings lost McDonnell, who was head of amateur scouting, and Mark Leach, who did OHL scouting. No coincidence at all, the Wings brought in Tyler Wright and Andrew Dickson from Columbus to do head of amateur scouting and OHL scouting. So it looks like they've got it covered.

They've actually brought in two additional scouts on top of that: Kelly Harper, who's doing OHL, and Sam Lites, who's doing college.

wright wasn't in charge 2011. it was 2012 and 2013 though jarmo likely had very big say in latter year.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Except the difference between the 10-12th overall and 16th overall isn't worth however much we made from those 2 home games.

I'd say the 10th-12th overall plus the 42nd overall plus Jarnkrok is more valuable than revenue from two playoff games, but I can see why ownership would view that differently. Doesn't mean it's wise.

However, I think we drop down to like 17-18 and acquire a late second round pick. I think we'll be just fine doing so too. I was reading earlier that there will be a lot of steals in the late first and second round, so I'm sure we're poised to make a good pick regardless. McCann is a safe pick though.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
wright wasn't in charge 2011. it was 2012 and 2013 though jarmo likely had very big say in latter year.

Holland has had big say in the drafts for quite some time. If we are going to be worried about this.

It will be interesting to see, but by the way we have trended towards a new directive in terms of bigger and some other factors lately. Some new scouts might not be bad. Hurts that for the first time in forever we were doing well in the OHL, but we should see what the new guy does, keep in mind we scouted that league pretty terribly for most of his tenure with the Wings.

The Wright hire was interesting, but if I have one belief it is that Holland understands how to hire good people. He has proven that time and again. This is a guy who has been his neighbor on his lake house for a while. Some might take that as him getting the job unfairly. But the way Osgood who has also talked a lot of hockey with the guy talks about him is interesting. I think he could bring an interesting look and we have changed some of how we do that anyway, I am excited for his next couple years.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I more wonder how you know this test is coming. In terms of Bennett he has been a top 60 player in his age group for a while. Don't you at least once go through some of this stuff. I get the big oxygen test would be tough to pull off training for, but some of this stuff, come on young man.:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad