Prospect Info: 2014 Draft Discussion II (June 27-28 in Philadelphia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
If we're going the famous gene route, Id rather go for Ryan Macinnis. **** Claude Lemieux, and his offspring too.

:laugh:

I just spit water all over my keyboard. I agree with you 100%.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ho-Sang.. isn't that like Korean, he doesn't look korean

The Canadian-born 17-year-old’s father is a black Jamaican of Chinese descent, his mother is Chilean with Russian and Swedish bloodlines, and is Jewish. It’s not unusual to hear Spanish spoken in the Ho-Sang household, where Chanukah and Christmas are celebrated.
http://colorofhockey.com/2013/10/25/josh-ho-sang-a-diverse-star-in-the-making/

Also, the name Ho-Sang comes from his grandfather, who was from Hong Kong.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Interesting comment by Dave Conte, NJ's head scout:

"I think there are some very unique and special players who will have long successful careers coming out of this draft class," Conte said. "I'm excited. Because there's not a consensus pick, there is a chance of getting players that you greatly value at a reduced price compared to years where there is a consensus."

I bet the Wings feel the same way. When you know you've got a strong scouting department, this kind of wide-open draft is great to you. Especially since you know a number of teams ahead of you have bonehead scouting departments and are going to whiff bigtime.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
our strong scouting might be in texas. except for håkan.

One of the strongest scouting minds in the NHL in the last 40 years is our GM. You know the guy that has been above Rockstrom, Nill and Hakan all of these years and given them directives and ultimately has more say than they do in the process.

Not saying that we have not lost some talent and certainly losing our OHL scout when we finally have hit on a few OHL players for the first time in what seems like forever hurts. But Holland has proven particularly great in this area. His two greatest strengths in my opinion are his ability to evaluate front office or off ice personnel and place them around him and his understanding of amateur talent and the feedback he receives from his talent. It is an area we have only really struggled at for a five year period that is well documented around here. Even then he found NHL talent just not to the level of our liking.

What the Wings do well is they go to undervalued markets. They hit the Q hard when people stop looking there. They seem to be all over Czech Republic and Slovakia for players when we are being told they aren't producing as much talent anymore. We will see, but this has always been a strength in my opinion that is overlooked, the Wings have always had a bigger plan at play then a ton of luck. A part of it in my opinion is they have a very good understanding of what is being undervalued.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Guys, let's not use this thread to debate the Jarnkrok trade again.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If you really want a second round pick in this draft trade back. I don't think this is a particularly good draft. I am warming up to a couple of the first rounders around us, but I still don't think this is a cry over it kind of draft. In fact moving the 1st pick with Tatar for the D-man is probably worth it in terms of getting that big fix. I would offer it to Washington for Green. I hope he would cost a little less but I doubt it.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Fair enough, so do we look to address center depth at 15th ?

I generally prefer the BPA route but I will be slightly worried if we don't address our organizational center by either drafting a C at 15 or trading down and using at least one of the picks on a center. We failed in my opinion to adequately plan for the departure of Lidstrom and I hope we don't make the same mistake with Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

I don't know how realistic the STL swap is -- the value seems relatively close but has there been any indication that it's something STL would be open to, or is it just speculation at this point?

Since we're unlikely nowadays to find a high-octane center in the mold of Datsyuk or Zetterberg (or Yzerman or Fedorov) someone had mentioned earlier that the next best thing is to adopt a Boston model. Find a guy who is capable of playing a strong two-way game and putting up 60 points, and let Mantha and Nyquist do the rest.

If they think McCann or Fabbri at 15th is that guy, I'll put my faith in our scouting and be content with the pick.

The only other option I think would be taking BPA and using existing assets (Tatar, Pulkkinen, and/or a defenseman who doesn't fit our future plans) and trading for a young center. I think the overall cost will be higher if we pursue this method given that young centers on the upswing are valued so highly.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
But would it be worth drafting him if you know you're not going to see him in the pros for 4 years? I could've worded my original question better, I apologize.

3 or 4 years is perfect. Not much room in the next 3-4 years with Z, Dats, Sheahan/Helm, Weiss (lol) occupying top 9 spots for the foreseeable future

We need to start drafting/developing guys down the middle for when Dats and Z retire. As much as we hate to think about it. I think Sheahan is good enough to become a 2nd line center. I don't know that we'll be able to get a legit #1 center without a top 5 pick. But I'd be happy with two legit 2nd line caliber centers that are two way players to go along with the talent we have at wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad