2014 Deadline Extravaganza

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Here is Patrick Roy talking about the organizational vision for the Avs.

http://www.1043thefan.com/podcasts/

The Caps are light years behind organizationally.

I cant imagine there wont be full-on house cleaning in Washington....its a mess, compared to what it should be

The deadline moves, to me, point to that as well. I like the moves but nothing big given up combined with a decent pick and prospect seems like its another roll of the dice for this season and being setup as a attractive position for a new front office

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I cant imagine there wont be full-on house cleaning in Washington....its a mess, compared to what it should be

The deadline moves, to me, point to that as well. I like the moves but nothing big given up combined with a decent pick and prospect seems like its another roll of the dice for this season and being setup as a attractive position for a new front office

I hope you're right.

This guy sure doesn't think so.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Because who needs defense.

Not this guy!

340x.jpg

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Fixing the D.

My plan is simple.

1. Fire Calle Jo.
2. Think about firing Oates. I hope this is done not by McPhee.

3. Move Orlov to the 3rd pair by getting top-4 LD in the offseason (if Orlov will sign here ofc). Trade players, prospects and picks for that D (Edler, Ehrhoff and so on). I don't mind his cap hit.
4. Think about Mike Green again. If there is a good hockey deal - you maybe deal him. This subject is complex and I will leave it as "think about".
5. Upgrade Carrick for some adult 3RD.

6. Implement the system that will be suitable for Holtby (I guess Grubauer plays in kind of similar way).
7. Profit.

Why it is not happening?

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
This roster would have fared better in the late 80s and the late 80s Caps would have fared better now.

Monty

Aug 31, 2004
How do we know that Ted hasn't already renewed GM's contract?

There is no requirement that teams publicize a renewal contract for their GM, GM is notoriously tight-lipped about new contracts, but has no choice with player contracts because the player and his agent will publicize it anyway, or it is a star player and the team wants to report it as a successful signing. None of these reasons apply to simply renewing GM's contract.

I could have sworn there was an instance back in the early 2000s that after one season, the question came up from a media member about whether he was renewing GM's contract, and Ted responded that GM's contract had already been renewed a few months earlier.

Given the lame local media coverage, I doubt any reporter has asked GM or Ted if there have been any contractual renewal talks - I certainly have not seen any instance where GM or Ted had to talk about GM's contract status, and absent the right question by the media, there is nothing stopping GM and Ted from simply saying nothing at this point.

Burakovsky95*

Anyone else want Penner and Halak re-signed this offseason? Cant be our only moves this summer but I'd love to have them stick around and we do have to worry about Grabo still.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Brown-Kuz-Wilson = solution to the Kuz's place in the roster problem.

I do think Oates can get Kuz into top-6 only if Ov will ask him very hard. Oates needs points.

Kuz is not ready to provide wins for this team, not yet. He can score some points in PP but he'll hardly play better than Penner. Do you believe Oates will place Kuz above Mojo, Penner and Laich? I do not.

So logically Oates will place him onto 4th line with Wilson. Our current 4LW is Brown (maybe). Why not? There should be a place for Kuz. 4C is low risk and kinda more familiar for Kuz than LW. Also less boardwork required. Also he's shielded from bad guys by Willy.

Penner, MJ, NB, AO, Brouwer and some form of Grabo/Laich = top-6. 3C is Fehr. Do you think Kuz will play above Fehr? I dont.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Brown-Kuz-Wilson = solution to the Kuz's place in the roster problem.

I do think Oates can get Kuz into top-6 only if Ov will ask him very hard. Oates needs points.

Kuz is not ready to provide wins for this team, not yet. He can score some points in PP but he'll hardly play better than Penner. Do you believe Oates will place Kuz above Mojo, Penner and Laich? I do not.

So logically Oates will place him onto 4th line with Wilson. Our current 4LW is Brown (maybe). Why not? There should be a place for Kuz. 4C is low risk and kinda more familiar for Kuz than LW. Also less boardwork required. Also he's shielded from bad guys by Willy.

Penner, MJ, NB, AO, Brouwer and some form of Grabo/Laich = top-6. 3C is Fehr. Do you think Kuz will play above Fehr? I dont.

That seem fine for Kuz to get 6-7min a game. He will develop just from the practice time in the NHL.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
a big part of his NHL development may involve staying healthy

first game, start slow, so how he fits in. Is he getting run, is he holding up. Quickly ramp up his TOI if all looks good.

And get him some PP time over Chimera or others to get that goose cooked early and get him rolling. Lord knows we could use a hot player.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Trade DL is over

Here's the trades so far:

Montreal sends 5th rounder to Florida for Mike Weaver

Washington sends a 4th to Anaheim for Dustin Penner

Anaheim sends the 4th to Dallas for Stephane Robidas

Edmonton sends Bryz to Minnesota for a 4th

Edmonton acquires Fasth from Anaheim for a 5th and a 3rd

Philadelphia acquires MacDonald for a 2nd, 3rd, Matt Mangene

Florida acquires Roberto Luongo and Steven Anthony for Jacob Markstrom and Shawn Matthias

Phoenix acquires a 2nd round draft choice in 2014 from Chicago in exchange for Dmen David Rundblad & Mathieu Brisebois

Washington acquires a 4th, Klesla, and Chris Brown for Erat and J. Mitchell

Can we unlock the old roster thread? Time to get back to that one please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad