2014 CBJ Offseason Thread III (All proposals, "blog" rumors, speculation in here)

Boomshakalaka

Why do I do this?
May 1, 2014
Columbus
I still think we need to sign a couple of lower tier fa's to tighten up that 4th line. sucks about Mac but I don t understand why we are letting go of talent on our bottom line when we haven t critically improved our top lines or defense. I know about the log jam of forwards we have but these guys gotta earn their spots. Looks like we are walking into a new season with pretty much the same team we had last year. Scary when we had to really turn it on late to make the playoffs.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I'm not a huge Howson fan, but I feel like I need to mention that the Spezza deal highlights how good of a return we ended up getting.

Yes, Nash had more years on his deal than Spezza, but contrast the returns. Spezza just returned Chiasson + Guptil + Paul + a 2nd vs. Dubinsky + Anisimov + Erixon + 1st. That's looking like a very good return for a guy who was only interested in going to a few places.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
ok, we have not "let DMac go" we can, you know, still sign him...there are just other pressing issues to address for the team than a 4th liner...

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
SHOTS FIRED

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 2m
RT @trumarvel: @Aportzline Will MacKenzie be this years Prospal if not re-signed. // No. He'll be missed in the dressing room.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
SHOTS FIRED

RT @trumarvel: @Aportzline Will MacKenzie be this years Prospal if not re-signed. // No. He'll be missed in the dressing room.

Ouch. Guess the fan favoritism ended at the dressing room door.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I'm not a huge Howson fan, but I feel like I need to mention that the Spezza deal highlights how good of a return we ended up getting.

Yes, Nash had more years on his deal than Spezza, but contrast the returns. Spezza just returned Chiasson + Guptil + Paul + a 2nd vs. Dubinsky + Anisimov + Erixon + 1st. That's looking like a very good return for a guy who was only interested in going to a few places.

After seeing the bumbling ineptitude of the Spezza and Kesler sagas, both of which involved a minimal return relative to the value of said players, I can't see how anyone can argue that the Nash deal got far and away the best return.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
SHOTS FIRED

I think the club proved last season that Prospal was not missed one bit. MacKenzie is different, he's a heart and soul guy and I'm going to guess part of the leadership group of that club. I hope they re-sign him, if they don't, I have to agree it's a big mistake.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
After seeing the bumbling ineptitude of the Spezza and Kesler sagas, both of which involved a minimal return relative to the value of said players, I can't see how anyone can argue that the Nash deal got far and away the best return.

I'm still thrilled with the Nash return.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
SHOTS FIRED

Damn straight (not about Prospal, but about MacKenzie being missed).

Question: What would be needed to be added to Anisimov in order to return Bobby Ryan (who has one year left)? Anisimov would step in to the 2nd line center role at Ottawa and help fill the gap left by Spezza while Turris steps up into being the #1. I'm assuming a good pick or prospect would be added which would further aid Ottawa in their rebuild.

Ryan meanwhile epitomizes what it means to be a Blue Jackets. Yes he has 1 year left and has injury concerns, but he'd really bolster our top-6.

Look at this beastly top-6 that NO ONE would want to play against:
Ryan - Johansen - Horton
Jenner - Dubinsky - Hartnell

That would leave Atkinson and/or Calvert in case one of them gets injured. That top-6 would combine for about 200 goals and would leave opposing teams battered and bruised.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things

Question: What would be needed to be added to Anisimov in order to return Ryan (who has one year left)? Anisimov would step in to the 2nd line center role at Ottawa and help fill the gap left by Spezza while Turris steps up into being the #1. I'm assuming a good pick or prospect would be added which would further aid Ottawa in their rebuild.

Ryan meanwhile epitomizes what it means to be a Blue Jackets. Yes he has 1 year left and has injury concerns, but he'd really bolster our top-6.

Ryan - Johansen - Horton

I'm loving that second line.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
As for Mackenzie, it seemed like he always got hurt(but he would man up and return during the game but nonetheless, got hurt). Maybe they feel his body is breaking down and is afraid to commit to a multi year deal? Perhaps it's not about money but more about term. Maybe Jarmo is offering a 1 year deal and Mackenzie wanting 2 or 3 like some of you mentioned?

Even when he's hurt, Mackenzie is still very fast and effective. 2 or 3 years should be okay for a guy if he routinely outraces 22 year olds.

It's about numbers and budget. We still have plenty of guys who can slide down into a 4th line role. You can't sign a Cammalleri, Vrbata, etc if you already have 18 forwards in house. Putting DMac's potential money toward a more skilled guy is fine with me.

Who? Maybe Calvert, and even that I think is a waste.

And if we don't sign a big name and slide folks down, do you still think its okay to let D-Mac go? Because at this point it looks like we aren't signing another scorer and it looks like the fourth line will be a weakness next year.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I'm loving that second line.

It's also a second line I'd feel comfortable throwing someone like Wennberg into if we feel he's ready and/or Dubinsky is on the 3rd line between Calvert and Atkinson again.

Jenner and Hartnell protect Wennberg and also provide leadership.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
It's also a second line I'd feel comfortable throwing someone like Wennberg into if we feel he's ready and/or Dubinsky is on the 3rd line between Calvert and Atkinson again.

Jenner and Hartnell protect Wennberg and also provide leadership.

Agreed.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Dear Twitter: Please stop notifying me randomly of things like so-and-so following so-and-so and things of that ilk. It's weird. Kthxbye.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Question: What would be needed to be added to Anisimov in order to return Bobby Ryan (who has one year left)? Anisimov would step in to the 2nd line center role at Ottawa and help fill the gap left by Spezza while Turris steps up into being the #1. I'm assuming a good pick or prospect would be added which would further aid Ottawa in their rebuild.

Ryan - Johansen - Horton

That would leave Atkinson and/or Calvert in case one of them gets injured. That top-6 would combine for about 200 goals and would leave opposing teams battered and bruised.

He does? Then why was he left off of team USA?

I honestly don't know the truth, but people have been questioning Ryan's spirit for a long time. His GM wanted him gone from Anaheim and he wasn't wanted on team USA.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things

I honestly don't know the truth, but people have been questioning Ryan's spirit for a long time. His GM wanted him gone from Anaheim and he wasn't wanted on team USA.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you here, but you did see how Team USA performed didn't you?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

Jack Johnson didn't make Team USA and I think he's an excellent example of being a Blue Jackets player.

Besides, I was referring more to style of play than off-ice behavior.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Cammy to New Jersey... This sucks sitting by as other teams improve :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad