2014 CBJ Offseason Thread III (All proposals, "blog" rumors, speculation in here)

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
A deal with Frattin should be a 3 way deal giving us the option to send him to the ECHL where I am sure he will be a star.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site

IHeartZherdev*

"Adding skill" must have meant something to do with upgrading skill on the scoring lines. IF it meant letting Derek Mackenzie go then Jarmo needs to be fired and fired quickly. D-Mac is skilled for a 4th liner. Realistically Jarmo doesn't think that Mackenzie should go to accommodate skill, but I have to wonder what he is thinking.

Players like D Mac are a dime a dozen and easy replaceable. There is no reason to sign an aging fourth line ham and egger to a multi-year deal.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Title of the article should be "Summer Buzzkill." I guess I just don't like our roster as much as GMJK does.
This is my concern as well. Show me a team thats won the Stanley Cup recently with nothing but home grown talent. Save the Hawks, which are the exception to the rule, you have to bring in top talent to go along with your homegrown talent. Even the Hawks brought in Hossa, and Sharp, the Kings brought in Williams, Carter, Richards, Gaborik etc. We just made the playoffs and showed promise, now is the time you add top talent to compliment it all IMO.

Instead we're choosing to stand pat, only slightly upgrading (Hartnell over RJ) and actually possibly downgrading on the 4th line (should Mac go elsewhere). Banking on Horton could be risky given his injury history. Missing the playoffs could be disastrous to the momentum we built with the fan base, we're going to need Bob to have a massive year, which if he does its going to cost us a lot since giving the bridge contract. Certainly rougher waters then I would prefer

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
not being a player in free agency isn't a bad thing...we have plenty of options available if we want to trade at any point...

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Title of the article should be "Summer Buzzkill." I guess I just don't like our roster as much as GMJK does.

Agreed. So far we've added one guy and subtracted 4. I'm fine with the plugs being gone but we need to add some skill in their place. Penciling Boll in on the 4th line and expecting youngsters to make the team and contribute immediately is dare I say Maclean-esque.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
No offense, but I hate that 4th line with a burning passion.

I guess I just don't like our roster as much as GMJK does.

I agree and the issue seems to be with the fourth line as the roster is currently configured. There are at least three scenarios to resolves this:

1) Sign clear top 6 upgrades and bump some guys down. Calvert, I guess, could be slated alongside Letestu and Boll, for example. Or even Foligno, although it doesn't seem like a good idea.

2) Sign players not currently in the organization to handle fourth line duty, supplementing existing depth in Letestu and Boll. Legwand, who's been rumored of interest, might fit this bill, for example.

3) "Save" spots for younger players to supplement that depth. There is no shortage of candidates, but not only will 1-2 of them have to prove worthy, but if your depth becomes your roster, who is your depth?

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
This is my concern as well. Show me a team thats won the Stanley Cup recently with nothing but home grown talent. Save the Hawks, which are the exception to the rule, you have to bring in top talent to go along with your homegrown talent. Even the Hawks brought in Hossa, and Sharp, the Kings brought in Williams, Carter, Richards, Gaborik etc. We just made the playoffs and showed promise, now is the time you add top talent to compliment it all IMO.

Instead we're choosing to stand pat, only slightly upgrading (Hartnell over RJ) and actually possibly downgrading on the 4th line (should Mac go elsewhere). Banking on Horton could be risky given his injury history. Missing the playoffs could be disastrous to the momentum we built with the fan base, we're going to need Bob to have a massive year, which if he does its going to cost us a lot since giving the bridge contract. Certainly rougher waters then I would prefer

Hartnell and a healthy Horton are expected to be the big changes from last year. If they go out and spend big bucks on another free agent, you are in an even worse situation regarding Bob's contract.

I am fine standing pat, and if we need to make a move we have the assets to do it via trade rather than free agency.

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012
A deal with Frattin should be a 3 way deal giving us the option to send him to the ECHL where I am sure he will be a star.

Haha. Lets build some organizational depth!!

In fairness, Matt Frattin will almost have to be a superstar here to make people forget he was the schlub included in the Gaborik deal.

Tony Quinn

May 20, 2014
I agree with the previous few comments. I think they are missing a golden oppurtunity to add a nice piece that could make them a force in the playoffs rather than battling it out for the 8th spot again.

Counting on the young guys is risky at best. These guys could just as easily turn out to be the next Alexander Picard as they could a Boone Jenner. Even the slightest step back from what McKenzie and Nikitan gave will likely result in missing the playoffs.

To me, there is just too much talent sitting out there to sit idly by and hope/count on a Wenneberg or Rychel to make a difference.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
DMac is being allowed to test the market, that doesn't necessarily mean he's gone. It may, of course, but he's still free to re-sign here, if that's what both parties want. I'd like to see him back, of course, but I'll be happy for him if he get a nice raise elsewhere, because he deserves it - one of my favorite Jackets, always gave every shift everything he had.

This exactly.

People need to relax. DMac won't be signed out of the gate. This is the type of guy teams take their time with after they get their Top6/4 sorted and use remaining money on. So he's going to sit and wait a bit and see what the offers are. It gives him something to compare to and it gives JK something to compare to for market value so maybe they come to an agreement later or someone pays Mac nicely and the guy gets to keep cashing in.

IHeartZherdev*

Carter, Richards, and Gaborik all went to the Kings through trades, not as overpaid UFAs.

Every team needs a combination of youth, veterans, pieces acquired through trade and free agency. If you go out and sign the "name" UFA's every summer you end up with a bunch of overpaid guys not to mention an unhappy locker room (see Buffalo signing Leino and Ehrhoff, or the Rangers signings of Drury, Redden, Gomez, etc).

We already have Wiz and Horton on huge overpaid UFA deals. We don't need a Niskanen or a Stastny one as well.

There is still plenty of time to make trades this summer and during the season if need be. We have plenty of picks, prospects, and young roster players so we certainly have the ammo to trade for an impact player if the chance arises, which is a much better idea than signing a decent player to a superstar UFA contract

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Agreed. So far we've added one guy and subtracted 4. I'm fine with the plugs being gone but we need to add some skill in their place. Penciling Boll in on the 4th line and expecting youngsters to make the team and contribute immediately is dare I say Maclean-esque.

Agreed. He REALLY needs to bring back Mackenzie, there's no question. I wouldn't even consider Mackenzie a "plug" as he brings a level of defensive ability and speed that is hard to find in most 4th line centers (same goes for Letestu).

Let Wennberg or Rychel or someone else EARN the spot over Derek Mackenzie, don't free it up for them.

Further, I'm expecting Horton to be injured most of this season too. That's just irrational gut instinct for sure, and probably not even worth discussing, but my feeling is that he'll be like what Gaborik was (big acquisition, big contract, never in the lineup).

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Jarmo also said "We'll look at all options to improve our team. If something makes sense, we'll explore it." But unfortunately I don't see any good players knocking on Columbus' door to play with us for a discount.

As for Mackenzie, it seemed like he always got hurt(but he would man up and return during the game but nonetheless, got hurt). Maybe they feel his body is breaking down and is afraid to commit to a multi year deal? Perhaps it's not about money but more about term. Maybe Jarmo is offering a 1 year deal and Mackenzie wanting 2 or 3 like some of you mentioned?

Not sure how many UFA's will be left over but I wonder if they offer some players an camp invite. They said they want to see how players like Wennberg, Rychel, and I will add Hjarmarson will do. If they're not ready for the NHL, maybe they just sign one of the NHL vets that they end up inviting to camp if they do well?

lionshockey43

Jun 28, 2014
Carter, Richards, and Gaborik all went to the Kings through trades, not as overpaid UFAs.

Every team needs a combination of youth, veterans, pieces acquired through trade and free agency. If you go out and sign the "name" UFA's every summer you end up with a bunch of overpaid guys not to mention an unhappy locker room (see Buffalo signing Leino and Ehrhoff, or the Rangers signings of Drury, Redden, Gomez, etc).

We already have Wiz and Horton on huge overpaid UFA deals. We don't need a Niskanen or a Stastny one as well.

There is still plenty of time to make trades this summer and during the season if need be. We have plenty of picks, prospects, and young roster players so we certainly have the ammo to trade for an impact player if the chance arises, which is a much better idea than signing a decent player to a superstar UFA contract

Wiz would get Niskanen money in UFA today, not sure how that is an overpaid deal now, although i agree with everything else.

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012

You nailed it. Nice post

If you're gonna throw out rediculous contracts to average players I usually prefer its a defenseman at least as those guys tend to play longer and usually enter their prime in their late 20's. For a lot of forwards entering UFA, their best days are behind them.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I don't believe we have the assets to trade for an upgrade. In a year or two, yes, but not now. If we trade Cam for example and we get back another RW we haven't made much progress. If its a 2 for 1 deal we are down a roster player with no one to replace the 2nd guy. If we trade highly touted prospects that is a very bad option.

Once Wennberg, Rychel, et al get a year or two under their belts then we will have room to trade and improve the roster.

I still think we could add a guy like Mason Raymond on the cheap <3 mill and bump Calvert to the 4th. Makes the 4th line much better and kicks up the offense on the third. Same with adding a guy like Vrbata to play RW ,bumping Foligo or Jenner down a line and Calvert to the 4th.

We'll see.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC

Home grown? That would be guys like Jenner, Johansen, Murray, Atkinson, Calvert, Savard, Prout, and Boll? Other than Boll, I have no complaints with those guys being on the roster. Everyone else came from other systems. This team is far from home grown, many of the key pieces - Dubi, Foligno, Bob, Horton, Hartnell, Anisimov, JJ, Tyuts, Wiz - all were brought here, as was DMac, for that matter. As usual, many are off the deep end long before the ship is taking on water!

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I agree and the issue seems to be with the fourth line as the roster is currently configured. There are at least three scenarios to resolves this:

1) Sign clear top 6 upgrades and bump some guys down. Calvert, I guess, could be slated alongside Letestu and Boll, for example. Or even Foligno, although it doesn't seem like a good idea.

2) Sign players not currently in the organization to handle fourth line duty, supplementing existing depth in Letestu and Boll. Legwand, who's been rumored of interest, might fit this bill, for example.

3) "Save" spots for younger players to supplement that depth. There is no shortage of candidates, but not only will 1-2 of them have to prove worthy, but if your depth becomes your roster, who is your depth?

#3 makes the most sense, logically speaking. And I don't have an issue with a team using the fourth line as a sort of apprenticeship for younger players just to get them into the lineup and exposed to the NHL.

The issue, though, is that there tends to be a mismatch between what the front office wants and what the coaching staff wants. A coaching staff has no incentive to give a young unproven player 8-10 minutes a night on the 4th line (plus PK time) in the hopes that it would pay dividends in three years on the 2nd line. And when there's always the risk of losing your job with an extended slide, it would require a clear mandate from the front office that it has to be done and that there's no employment risk for doing so.

If that's the case, then I think there'd be a lot less consternation if an actual statement were made publicly from the front office. Thank Derek MacKenzie, wish him well, and move on.

FreeBoomer61

Feb 8, 2011
would you trade picks for Bobby Ryan? 1 yr left on deal...just a thought...

Very intriguing, I'd only fear that he would bolt to Philly at first chance (next July 1st). IIRC, we have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds next summer, so picks could definitely be moved without hindering the franchise.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
would you trade picks for Bobby Ryan? 1 yr left on deal...just a thought...
Do we have the roster space to add him?

I'd think we would need to send one of our current top-6 back for him. Atkinson or Anisimov would be prime candidates (in addition to the pick or prospect). The team is making a pretty big deal about not overcrowding the team at forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad