Olympics: 2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part VIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonFournier

Dec 17, 2006
It's only normal that Luongo gets the starting spot since he won in 2010. If he fails or looks shaky Price will replace him as Luongo replaced Brodeur last time.

Last edited:

TOML

Oct 4, 2006
Walnut Grove
Frankly it doesn't matter which goalie they put in. It's the health of their defense that'll matter much more.

I'd probably shy away from Price and Subban though, only because you never know what guy will show up from game to game. And consistency issues are just one factor. You don't want any lone wolves in a tournament such as the Olympics.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Price goes on stretches of pretty bad hockey where he lets soft goals in. Thats why people dont trust him.

As for this thread.

Habs fans: Price

Everyone else: Not Price.

You habs fans might as well stop over flowing the thread pumping up Price's ego. As you can see, no one is buying it.

So what I'm basically seeing is a bunch of outraged Montreal fans trying to convince everyone Price should be the starter...is that correct?

Price 12-8-2 2.00 GA .937 Sv% 44 GA on 694 shots

Lu 11-8-3 2.41 GA .911 Sv% 56 GA on 630 Shots

enough said really....

Disappearing Semin

Oct 18, 2012
I don't get the outrage. It's common sport philosophy to use the more experienced player when all else is equal. Luongo is just as good as Price. Price having better stats after two months on a much better defensive team isn't going to erase Luongos 10+ year career. I don't think people realize just how bad Vancover's team has been compared to years past. Price will have steal the job from Luongo in the preliminary rounds IMO.

Edler,Garrison,Hamhuis,Bieksa, Tanev are worst than Subban,Markov, Emelin , Gorges, Diaz? If they are its not by much. And thats not even talking about the 22 first games who were without emelin. Mtl were playing for 500 and Price had .930+

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Price should be and will be the #1 goalie in Sotchi. How is that even a question?

If Price/Subban played for any other team then it wouldn't even be a question.

I think a lot of fans, particularly Leafs/Sens fans, don't like the idea of Habs players leading Team Canada and them having to cheer for them.

MontrealFans

Apr 4, 2004
It's only normal that Luongo gets the starting spot since he won in 2010. If he fails or looks shaky Price will replace him as Luongo replaced Brodeur last time.

I would be fine with this is it was a 7 game series where if you sink team can recover but it's not and such reasoning could be the downfall for TC. Lets pick players that won it 4 years ago... because that's the best way... This also goes for forwards and defencemen. I hope this is not how we plan to pick our team :shakehead

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
Luongo will start, it is obvious to anyone but some Habs fans in here. It's ok guys, we all think our players are the best. However, 20 decent games by Price do not erase Luongo's body of work.
If he falters (which he might), then it's Price's job to steal.

ThankYouBasedGod

Oct 25, 2010
Saskatoon
Price goes on stretches of pretty bad hockey where he lets soft goals in. Thats why people dont trust him.

As for this thread.

Habs fans: Price

Everyone else: Not Price.

You habs fans might as well stop over flowing the thread pumping up Price's ego. As you can see, no one is buying it.

And Luongo doesn't? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA ok then. This is a Wings fan AKA Everyone else saying Price should clearly be the starter.

MontrealFans

Apr 4, 2004
Luongo will start, it is obvious to anyone but some Habs fans in here. It's ok guys, we all think our players are the best. However, 20 decent games by Price do not erase Luongo's body of work.

What body of work.

Losing his job... nobody wanting him, haven't been impressed since florida, I would much rather have Scrivens, Harding, Price and Crawford fight for it. Say what you want but if Vancouver had a different goalie to me they would have won that cup. Louuuuu did not help

ThankYouBasedGod

Oct 25, 2010
Saskatoon

Yeah Luongo's .911 save percentage this year and BEASTLY .907 save percentage last year sure are an impressive body of work. Stellar!

Polo*

Yeah Luongo's .911 save percentage this year and BEASTLY .907 save percentage last year sure are an impressive body of work. Stellar!

Great job talking about last years save %

Might wanna look at the other guys too

yay Price has better stats in 22 games so far!

Great argument

:facepalm:

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
What body of work.

Losing his job... nobody wanting him, haven't been impressed since florida, I would much rather have Scrivens, Harding, Price and Crawford fight for it. Say what you want but if Vancouver had a different goalie to me they would have won that cup. Louuuuu did not help

:shakehead Check out his career stats and international play. That is a body of work. 20 games this season doesn't change anything.
PS> If Vancouver had a different goalie, theywould not have made it to game 7, much less win the cup. Luongo had 3 shutouts in the finals. In other words, you don't know what you are talking about and just regurgitate that same garbage people spew on these boards.

Wow...Do you even know what the phrase "body of work" means? Maybe look it up :laugh: Maybe even look at Price's stats for last year if you think they are so relevant and come back and eat some crow. I doubt you will though.

Polo*

:shakehead Check out his career stats and international play. That is a body of work. 20 games this season doesn't change anything.
PS> If Vancouver had a different goalie, theywould not have made it to game 7, much less win the cup. Luongo had 3 shutouts in the finals. In other words, you don't know what you are talking about and just regurgitate that same garbage people spew on these boards.

Wow...Do you even know what the phrase "body of work" means? Maybe look it up :laugh: Maybe even look at Price's stats for last year if you think they are so relevant and come back and eat some crow. I doubt you will though.
Anytime someone wants to argue with a habs player about this, just quote this post.

Thanks for the post

/thread

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
Habs fan here, no problem with Luongo starting game 1.
Price starting game 2.
Price will takeover for the rest of the olympics.

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
Great job talking about last years save %

Might wanna look at the other guys too

yay Price has better stats in 22 games so far!

Great argument

:facepalm:

I followed Luongo for his entire career from when he was playing with the Foreurs in the Q up until now. He WAS a stellar goaltender, but he isn't playing at the same level that he was in Florida and we've seen quite the decline in performance since the last Olympics.

As far as I'm concerned the only thing he has on Price is the 2010 Olympics. When it comes to skill and performance, it's all Price, after a third of the season he is showing no sign of slowing down and it looks like this will be a career year for him so why the hell wouldn't TC put their hopes on him?

Anyway, I know it's an old boys club and I know Luongo is probably going to get his chance even if there are quite a few keepers that are playing WAY better than he is. I just hope that Luongo's Sotchi experience stops at one game if even that.

Jerk Store*

Price is a certified choker. Can't play in big games. Pre tty sure Hockey Canada knew he wouldn't start for them regardless of the season.

Luongo starts cause there's nothing better.

School of WristShot

Jan 14, 2011
Price is a certified choker. Can't play in big games. Pre tty sure Hockey Canada knew he wouldn't start for them regardless of the season.

Hmm.. to limit enraged Habs fans, I will add on to this. Both are certified chokers but Luongo would lead the team to the final game. :sarcasm:

Polo*

I followed Luongo for his entire career from when he was playing with the Foreurs in the Q up until now. He WAS a stellar goaltender, but he isn't playing at the same level that he was in Florida and we've seen quite the decline in performance since the last Olympics.

As far as I'm concerned the only thing he has on Price is the 2010 Olympics. When it comes to skill and performance, it's all Price, after a third of the season he is showing no sign of slowing down and it looks like this will be a career year for him so why the hell wouldn't TC put their hopes on him?

Anyway, I know it's an old boys club and I know Luongo is probably going to get his chance even if there are quite a few keepers that are playing WAY better than he is. I just hope that Luongo's Sotchi experience stops at one game if even that.

If Luongo blows, Put Harding or Price in. But Luongo should get the start

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal

His 2007 World Junior MVP, Calder cup MVP say hello.

Put a team like TC in front of him and he will be lights out. The guy's been playing for a fringe playoff team his entire NHL career.

Anyway, i friggin hope he lands the job so everyone in here can see how idiotic it is to label him a "choker".

Jerk Store*

Hmm.. to limit enraged Habs fans, I will add on to this. Both are certified chokers but Luongo would lead the team to the final game. :sarcasm:

Oh I don't give a rats ass if they're enraged or not. We're going there as a country, I don't care if the pkayers are from my favourite team or not. His body of work in the post season is brutal. Nobody cares about that one good series vs Boston.

Luongo has at least been to the finals and won gold, so he's proven at least he won't have a meltdown to the point where he costs us the game.

I'm already discouraged enough about recent performances at the world juniors...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad