Olympics: 2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part VIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectricDreamMachine

Nov 5, 2013
Carter-Crosby-Perry
Couture-Stamkos-St.Louis
Giroux-Tavares-Sharp/Nash/Ladd/E.Staal
Bergeron-Toews-Duchene
Getzlaf

Keith-Weber
Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo
Vlasic-Doughty
Subban

Luongo
Smith
Price

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
No point in doing a Stamkos - Crosby - St. Louis line

Nobody does the dirty work on that line

Both Crosby and St. Louis are the type that will scroll to the sideboards and be the playmaker

Crosby has shown that he can do the dirty work. Crosby has also shown to be a sniper, too. He can do anything basically that coach asks him.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Since when did Stammer and StLoo avoid working the corners and walls?

WhiteLight*

7 TURRIS, Kyle
9 DUCHENE, Matt
10 PERRY, Corey
12 MARLEAU, Patrick
14 BENN, Jamie
15 GETZLAF, Ryan
19 TOEWS, Jonathan
20 TAVARES, John
26 ST. LOUIS, Martin
37 BERGERON, Patrice
39 COUTURE, Logan
87 CROSBY, Sidney
89 SEGUIN, Tyler
91 STAMKOS, Steven

2 KEITH, Duncan
4 BOUWMEESTER, Jay
6 WEBER, Shea
8 DOUGHTY, Drew
27 PIETRANGELO, Alex
44 VLASIC, Marc-Édouard
58 LETANG, Kristopher
76 SUBBAN, PK

29 FLEURY, Marc-André
31 PRICE, Carey
50 CRAWFORD, Corey

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
GREAT NEWS!!! Rick Nash skated, and is week to week according to Darren Millard (Who's usually spot on)!!! Hopefully kiddo stays healthy and we have Tazor and Nash rekindle their magic!!~!! :handclap:

jgoud*

7 TURRIS, Kyle
9 DUCHENE, Matt
10 PERRY, Corey
12 MARLEAU, Patrick
14 BENN, Jamie
15 GETZLAF, Ryan
19 TOEWS, Jonathan
20 TAVARES, John
26 ST. LOUIS, Martin
37 BERGERON, Patrice
39 COUTURE, Logan
87 CROSBY, Sidney
89 SEGUIN, Tyler
91 STAMKOS, Steven

2 KEITH, Duncan
4 BOUWMEESTER, Jay
6 WEBER, Shea
8 DOUGHTY, Drew
27 PIETRANGELO, Alex
44 VLASIC, Marc-Édouard
58 LETANG, Kristopher
76 SUBBAN, PK

29 FLEURY, Marc-André
31 PRICE, Carey
50 CRAWFORD, Corey
LOL Turris on Team Canada.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I think it's fair to say Giroux has played his way off the team.

How much does Giroux hate Crosby? Enough to go goalless for the 2013/14 season and skip the Olympics. Kidding of course, but man... and I don't buy that his injury in the summer was suffered while playing golf.... not for a second.

but yes, I would leave Giroux off the team.

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
Not seeing much love on this board for Mike Richards who is quietly having a good year out in LA where he gets minimal exposure to the eastern press or eastern fans.

However, Looking at the list of players invited to the HC orientation camp, there's a few players who should be shoo-ins at forward: Crosby, Couture, Duchene, Getzlaf, Perry, Stamkos, Tavares, Toews. That leaves 5 spots. Of those, I'd give spots to Bergeron, Nash (if healthy), Eric Staal (having not a great year), St Louis and Richards, maybe Nugent-Hopkins finds a spot. Spezza's likely in the mix too, having a good year with a mediocre team, even though he wasn't invited to camp. Of the other invitees; Thornton's way too slow, he looks good in the somewhat plodding western conference but on Olympic ice yikes, Carter's ok but way too streaky for my liking, Giroux's basically horse-manured his way off the team, Kunitz' claim to fame is playing with Crosby and unless team officials can guarantee him with Crosby the whole way, he's not making it, Neals' hurt, Ladd, Lucic, Marchand, Jordan Staal and Sharp- sorry boys. And Taylor-Hall and Jordan Eberle, too bad the Oilers are crappy- next time for them. So to summarize:

Crosby
Couture
Duchene
Getzlaf
Perry
Stamkos
Tavares
Toews
Bergeron
Nash
St Louis
Eric Staal
Mike Richards

Maybes- Spezza and Nugent-Hopkins

Starting line-up:

Richards, Toews, Nash
Getzlaf, Crosby, Perry
Couture, Tavares, Duchene
St Louis, Stamkos, Eric Staal
Bergeron

burf

Mar 27, 2012
LOL Turris on Team Canada.

He's got 15 points in 15 games despite getting some of the least favourable zone starts of anyone in the league and despite getting the toughest matchups on his team.

The kid's playing against other teams' top lines every night, getting worse zone starts than 97% of other players in the league, and he's still putting up a point per game and noticeably dominating the competition while doing it.

If guys like Duchene, Couture, Benn, Giroux, and Seguin are getting consideration, I see no reason why Turris shouldn't get that same consideration.

(Also, anyone proposing Spezza on the team over Turris clearly hasn't watched the Sens this year.)

DyerMaker66*

Not seeing much love on this board for Mike Richards who is quietly having a good year out in LA where he gets minimal exposure to the eastern press or eastern fans.

However, Looking at the list of players invited to the HC orientation camp, there's a few players who should be shoo-ins at forward: Crosby, Couture, Duchene, Getzlaf, Perry, Stamkos, Tavares, Toews. That leaves 5 spots. Of those, I'd give spots to Bergeron, Nash (if healthy), Eric Staal (having not a great year), St Louis and Richards, maybe Nugent-Hopkins finds a spot. Spezza's likely in the mix too, having a good year with a mediocre team, even though he wasn't invited to camp. Of the other invitees; Thornton's way too slow, he looks good in the somewhat plodding western conference but on Olympic ice yikes, Carter's ok but way too streaky for my liking, Giroux's basically horse-manured his way off the team, Kunitz' claim to fame is playing with Crosby and unless team officials can guarantee him with Crosby the whole way, he's not making it, Neals' hurt, Ladd, Lucic, Marchand, Jordan Staal and Sharp- sorry boys. And Taylor-Hall and Jordan Eberle, too bad the Oilers are crappy- next time for them. So to summarize:

Crosby
Couture
Duchene
Getzlaf
Perry
Stamkos
Tavares
Toews
Bergeron
Nash
St Louis
Eric Staal
Mike Richards

Maybes- Spezza and Nugent-Hopkins

Starting line-up:

Richards, Toews, Nash
Getzlaf, Crosby, Perry
Couture, Tavares, Duchene
St Louis, Stamkos, Eric Staal
Bergeron

:shakehead Why is RNH still being brought up? He's not a grinder, he doesn't play wing, and he's 24th in scoring by Canadian forwards: By what merit should he be on the team?

DyerMaker66*

Stamkos - Toews - St. Louis
Kunitz - Crosby - Bergeron
Couture - Tavares - Duchene
Richards - Getzlaf - Perry
Staal
Giroux

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
Staal
Giroux

Damn, I like this one. Great players, great chemistry, great lines. Giroux doesn't even deserve to be the extra forward though. Maybe Nash instead.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
Staal
Giroux

I'd replace Spezza with Giroux. Does Richards normally play wing?? I'm not sure I'm sold on Richards but I don't watch him play often anyhow.

Ugh off topic, but I don't really see myself being interested this year because I know one way or the other I will find out the score from someone at work by the end of the day before I even watch the games.

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
I'd replace Spezza with Giroux. Does Richards normally play wing?? I'm not sure I'm sold on Richards but I don't watch him play often anyhow.

Ugh off topic, but I don't really see myself being interested this year because I know one way or the other I will find out the score from someone at work by the end of the day before I even watch the games.

You don't remember the line of Richards-Toews-Nash from the last Olympics? They scored the first goal in the gold medal 3-2 game (Toews) against the US and was one of the best Canadian lines throughout the tournament. Richards normally plays centre with Carter on one wing and almost anybody from Carcillo to Frattin on the other. But he has played wing when called on with Carter at centre and they both take face-offs depending on the circle location. I think Team Canada will take the absolute best players available for the roles needed- won't matter where they actually play during their normal NHL routine. The team will be loaded with "normal" centres.

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
Damn, I like this one. Great players, great chemistry, great lines. Giroux doesn't even deserve to be the extra forward though. Maybe Nash instead.

If Giroux continues his current play, he won't even be considered for Team Canada- he may be outside the bubble already. Even if he elevates his game somewhat, I don't give him much of a chance of making the squad.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Staal
Giroux

I don't mind this lineup at all, I really like the ,one combinations as they all make sense. Personal preference, but I'd rather replace Perry with someone like Richards, Sharp, or Kane.

DyerMaker66*

I missed Hall, so have him replace Giroux.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Undecided on the forwards but here's my suggestion for the defense and goalies:

Keith - Weber
Subban - Doughty
Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo

Luongo
Price

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Yeah Duchene and Seguin are starting to steal his spot at this point.

Duchene yes...but I can't imagine that Seguin will get a glowing recommendation from Peter Chiarelli who is part of the evaluation (scouting) team for Yzerman.

but in addition to Giroux and Nash (injured), the list of players that are failing to impress is growing. E. Staal, I think his game is nowhere close to where it needs to be and this goes beyond a slow start now. Bergeron has not looked great..still feeling the effects of last season's injuries. Weber has been just average, nothing that screams #1 d-man on an Olympic level. Kieth can't score a goal.

This whole Subban is too risky story-line sounds like a Kevin Pendergast evaluation; are we sure that when he was fired from the junior program he wasn't reassigned to evaluating Olympic prospects? B/C that guy is beyond hockey dumb and a remark like that is right up his wheelhouse.

And if Towes injured his wrist (forearm) in last night's game, that could be something of a nagging injury for a while.

Anyway, I'm seeing some troubling signs...

Add to that the fact that Hockey Canada will leave Duchene off citing inexperience as the key deciding factor and instead name C. Perry to the team who couldn't get up to speed even if he was skating downhill. They'll leave Subban off claiming risky play in favor of Dan Boyle and his veteran leadership..plus 3 other boneheaded roster selections that Hockey Canada is notorious for ....and folks, there you have it, 2006 Torino all over again. After there'll be complaints from many as to how we can't play in Europe, lost on the big ice, can't skate like the Americans or European teams and blah blah blah.

I love ripping on the guys at HC (Calgary HQ) and a few of the NHL guys they associate themselves with (K. Lowe) these guys are way under qualified and over-paid for the positions they hold.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad