Salary Cap: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster Building Part XVII (MOD Post 859)

Status
Not open for further replies.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Heard it on espn 8... The OCHO

Let me tell you, a double-fault final-play elimination hasn't occurred since the Helsinki episode of 1919, and I think we all remember how THAT turned out!

BarbaraAlphanse

Let me tell you, a double-fault final-play elimination hasn't occurred since the Helsinki episode of 1919, and I think we all remember how THAT turned out!

Dodgeball to you = the other guys to me.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Interesting. You prefer Hannan to Irwin while another poster thinks Hannan is done.

I'd be perfectly content with Hejda. Price should be inexpensive and he might really solidify Boyle's game if they intend to keep him on 3rd pair.

I was mainly thinking Sather might get a better price on a package deal. One-stop shopping at Sharks discount bin.

My guy would be Hejda, but those two SJ players wouldn't be bad options. Hannan has had a couple of monster playoff runs but the odometer on him reads very high. He isn't a big minute eater at even strength. Playing him over 15 a night 5v5 is a risk. Rangers have 2 LD that can easily eat 25 a night, but in a l9ng playoff run that will cause fatigue.

My preference for Hannan over Irwin is simply that Hannan can kill penalties and would be a grizzled vet looking for a cup.

Irwin is a better skater but doesn't give you much over Moore except that he can play more effectively against bigger bodies.

They both sucked against LA during the collapse last year. Plan C imo.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
For the price, can we really find someone who would be better than John Moore as a #6?

My only move would be grabbing a 4th liner to effectively end Glass's time with the Rangers.

Also, Extend Zuccarello.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Btw for the Sharp off ice talk.. The worst Ranger trade of all time came about due to off ice issues and a certain lady.

The Middleton for Hodge deal.

At the time the Rangers knew what they had in Rick, but those Rangers at the time were big party animals. Rick say involved in the night life and was involved with a woman who threatened to go to the media about Ricks extracurriculars. Which included things that were more illicit than Josh Gordons habits.

The Rangers then hastily made the trade for Hodge in the hopes that his old chemistry with a guy named Phil would click.

Rick cleaned up his act and became a perennial 40 goal scorer.

These things happen in hockey.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
For the price, can we really find someone who would be better than John Moore as a #6?

My only move would be grabbing a 4th liner to effectively end Glass's time with the Rangers.

Also, Extend Zuccarello.

I am sure we could get someone solid half cheap. Like Hejda. Hejda is solid. What's Oduya's status in Chicago after they getting Timmonen? Need room to pick up a forward? Oduya is a D used to playing man-man down low and playing long in the POs, awsome attitude guy. I wouldn't mind getting a junk-yard D like Oduya to the team, who stll can make a good first pass. Oduya can also play both sides if a RD goes down. Jordan Leopold might be a bit too slow nowadays, haven't seen him in a while, but he could be had. And so forth.

I think the problem here is that AV is asking for someone that really can pass the puck up ice, but what will the pairings be? Does that D have to play with Boyle? In that case we are looking for a 7m D not a 6th D (someone that can both pass the puck and cover for his partner).

If AV plans to split up Staal-Klein and go with Boyle on the 2nd pairing, its easier to find someone to pass the puck on the 3rd pairing next to Klein.

But I also think Moore brings a bit of an energy into the lineup that shouldn't be underrated. Along with a bit feistyness. But you know, that speed game we play definitely benefits from having a D roar up ice along the boards like Moore does. Chicago benefitted from getting that from Leddy too. Its like the other team takes care of the offensive talent on the top 2 lines, then when the 3rd line hits the ice all of a sudden a D comes roaring down the ice against you and you have to handle 4 attacking players on a line almost, it makes it harder to fall back and play comfortable D against a team like that.

jskramer83

Nov 11, 2011
Ok take this with a grain of salt. But I was thinking, Slats loves to be bold. What kind of bold moves can we make? Get Joe Thornton? Get both Vermette and like a get D to be UFA? Nah, don't make any sense. The cap will just kill us next year, and we can't give up our kids.

But from my POV, there is actually a bit of room for Slats to be "bold" in one area, that is to get a player now -- that we can trade again at the draft.

Take Keith Yandle for example. There are so many teams looking for a top D, we could always get a good return for him at any time. Right? Would we get a lesser price at the draft than what we would have to pay for Yandle today? You know, not necessarily. Not necessarily at all. Could actually be a pretty good investment.

So what it really comes down to is if we are willing to give up the known assets it would take to get him, in favor of a SC run with gamble and the price we would get for him in late June, that to a large extent would be unknown parts? Yandle is just an example, there are other players like this (IE guys on a contract that we could trade youth for now, then move elsewhere for "new youth" at the draft).

But let's take Yandle, a scenario that could be somewhat interesting would be if we could get him for like Duclair and McIlrath now, use him during he POs, and then swing him to say Detroit for Antony Mantha at the draft. Half ridiculous I know.

But my point is this, if Slats pulling of a "bold" move it probably is for a player that he intends to move again at the draft. We just don't have room to take someone on. There are a few players out there that we could get now and move at the draft without any problems.

It's a great idea, but even better would be keeping Yandle, trading for zach bogosian, prying Richard Bachman from Edmonton, then bring up Chris and Ryan Bourque from Hartford.

This will all culminate with us changing our team name to Cushing Academy

Cyclones21

Easily Triggered
I am skeptical that there is a team that would give the Rangers a 6th rounder for Tanner Glass. I think if the Rangers move Glass, they have to sweeten the trade. The team acquiring Glass is acquiring a burden (high cap hit for an underwhelming player). The only way Glass can likely be moved is as part as a bigger trade to make cap hits work.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I am skeptical that there is a team that would give the Rangers a 6th rounder for Tanner Glass. I think if the Rangers move Glass, they have to sweeten the trade. The team acquiring Glass is acquiring a burden (high cap hit for an underwhelming player). The only way Glass can likely be moved is as part as a bigger trade to make cap hits work.

I'm not sure the team wants to get rid of Glass as evidenced by him playing all the time with a healthy lineup (as rare as that healthy lineup is).

SLE17

Dec 21, 2011
NJ
Ok take this with a grain of salt. But I was thinking, Slats loves to be bold. What kind of bold moves can we make? Get Joe Thornton? Get both Vermette and like a get D to be UFA? Nah, don't make any sense. The cap will just kill us next year, and we can't give up our kids.

But from my POV, there is actually a bit of room for Slats to be "bold" in one area, that is to get a player now -- that we can trade again at the draft.

Take Keith Yandle for example. There are so many teams looking for a top D, we could always get a good return for him at any time. Right? Would we get a lesser price at the draft than what we would have to pay for Yandle today? You know, not necessarily. Not necessarily at all. Could actually be a pretty good investment.

So what it really comes down to is if we are willing to give up the known assets it would take to get him, in favor of a SC run with gamble and the price we would get for him in late June, that to a large extent would be unknown parts? Yandle is just an example, there are other players like this (IE guys on a contract that we could trade youth for now, then move elsewhere for "new youth" at the draft).

But let's take Yandle, a scenario that could be somewhat interesting would be if we could get him for like Duclair and McIlrath now, use him during he POs, and then swing him to say Detroit for Antony Mantha at the draft. Half ridiculous I know.

But my point is this, if Slats pulling of a "bold" move it probably is for a player that he intends to move again at the draft. We just don't have room to take someone on. There are a few players out there that we could get now and move at the draft without any problems.

Be BOLD Slats! I like what you are thinking Ola. Make big moves for a non RFA player or two at the deadline to help us now and give us known NHL talent to trade over the summer for additional picks or prospects.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Not gonna pretend it's not at least intriguing...

I was against trading Callahan too, but for the right return (something young, not old please), I'm certainly open to it

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Why the hell would you trade one of your best forwards in the middle of a ****ing playoff push?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad