2014-2015 Manchester Monarchs - 2015 Calder Cup Champions!

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Continue.

On to the conference finals! Can't believe how strong of a performance our forward corps put up vs. a strong D and goalie. Really made them all look pretty pedestrian.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Not sure why I misjudged it, but I thought they needed one more win, but they don't! Keep it rolling boys!

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
Wow! Just finished watching the game. Man, was that 3rd period nerve racking. I haven't felt that nervous since last year (sigh). But the boys got though it! Onto the conference finals!! Woooo!!! :yo::yo::yo:

I think Ken Cail tweeted that the series would start on May 21st.

cali101

Nov 23, 2014
21st seems like such a long time away! hope they don't lose momentum/get rusty.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Wow! Just finished watching the game. Man, was that 3rd period nerve racking. I haven't felt that nervous since last year (sigh). But the boys got though it! Onto the conference finals!! Woooo!!! :yo::yo::yo:

that would be excellent if it started on the 21st. I would likely be able to get to game 2.
only 2 times they went to the ECF they lost to Hershey. once in a sweep in 2006/07 and most recently losing in 6 in the 09/10 season.

Last edited:

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
If the Monarchs make the Calder Cup Finals, those games are televised, right? Imagine watching the Monarchs in HD! :amazed:

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

that would be excellent if it started on the 21st. I would likely be able to get to game 2.
only 2 times they went to the ECF they lost to Hershey. once in a sweep in 2003 and most recently losing in 6 in the 09/10 season.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
Highlights

http://ahl.neulion.com/ahl/video/wbs-penguins-vs-manchester-monarchs/12326

What an incredible effort by the Monarchs to go up against the leagues top goaltender, and chase him twice in the final two games. The Monarchs were even better in this round then the 1st. But, as we all know. It only gets tougher. Hershey and Hartford are both very good teams! Monarchs probably match up a little better verse Hartford then Hershey. The Monarchs went 3-0-1 verse the Wolf Pack and 2-2 verse the Bears this season.

Tomorrow nights game 7 in New York, will actually have some impact on the Monarchs. Since Hershey and Hartford are the Caps and Rangers affiliates. In many ways we'll want the winner's AHL club to also advance, as the team will likely have keys players still on their NHL clubs.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
If the Monarchs make the Calder Cup Finals, those games are televised, right? Imagine watching the Monarchs in HD! :amazed:

I wouldn't get your hopes up. I don't believe it has been in the past couple seasons. However, they have made the series available on AHL Live for free. That's probably your better bet. With that said, I'm pretty sure they have televised it before. It would be awesome if they did!

BUT they still gotta get there first. Hartford or Hershey will be a tough opponent.

Last edited:

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
From Portland's announcer, a passionate and classy guy:

From the opposing blog, chirpsfromcenterice.com:

If you would have told me a week ago that the Manchester Monarchs would dismiss the Wilkes-Barre / Scranton Penguins in five games, I wouldn’t have believed you. I don’t think if you told anyone that they would have believed you.

I said that the Penguins had the advantage in goal because of what Matt Murray accomplished. I forgot to tell Manchester because they tore Murray to shreds.

http://chirpsfromcenterice.com/2015/05/12/man-handled/

KINGS OF PAIN: Monarchs Eliminate Penguins

“When you look at their high-end offensive players, they’re some of the most competitive players on the ice. That’s the difference. You don’t see that with most teams,” coach John Hynes said. “That’s what made them so difficult to shut down. You try different pairing and match-ups, but when those guys compete like that, night in and night out, shift in and shift out, it’s a real credit to their team.”

Manchester has specialized in quick starts in the first two rounds of the playoffs, scoring in the first three minutes of six of their 10 postseason games so far. Tuesday night was no different.

http://citizensvoice.com/sports/kings-of-pain-monarchs-eliminate-penguins-1.1880523

Last edited:

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
It's like reading about the Kings, isn't it? That's the value of using the same "system" throughout the organization. The Kings style works on the NHL stage at the highest level. Makes sense it would work at the lower levels as well.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I like hearing about the effort of the high-end players. That bodes well for their futures.

Especially Weal, the guy has to have a chip on his shoulder the size of LA at this point.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
Jordan Weal and Brian O'Neill were insane last night with their puck possession and cycling. It's like having Patrick Kane and Johnny Gaudreau on the same line. They just kept spinning off defenders and passing back and forth with one another.

I won't be one bit surprised if one of those guys is on the Kings opening night roster (probably Weal). I really think the Kings roster needs a player like that on the roster. Obviously, they won't be as skilled as a Gaudreau or Tyler Johnson, but they won't be bad players either.

But in the mean time, it's a joy to watch these guys playing together as Monarchs. 8 more wins, baby!

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Also cool to see both the Kings' AHL and ECHL affiliates are in their respective Conference Finals. Let's hope they both win the Calder Cup and Kelly Cup.

burnstick

Jan 7, 2015
I like hearing about the effort of the high-end players. That bodes well for their futures.

Especially Weal, the guy has to have a chip on his shoulder the size of LA at this point.

I like hearing about the team effort
Scoring is so important but ******** Down the opposing teams top lines is so important to winning.

I like to recognize the lunch bucket ,heart and soul players who bring it every night!!

cali101

Nov 23, 2014
well i hope the wolfpack win because they won't be getting any "pinch hitters" and because we have a better record over them.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Hopefully Weal will get some NHL minutes next season. Dont want to jump on the bandwagon but those hands look so smooth. Right now I just cant believe he wont succeed in the NHL. I think O'Neill is one of those great AHL players but thats about it.

Still remember Weal's junior days, when he had twice as many points as the 2nd leading scorer. People thought he was a product of Eberle (which was logical to be honest) and than he had those two monster seasons without Eberle.

I hope the Kings stick to their gameplan/body of thought because I think they can easily be a playoff contender again next year. Though I hope they are open for little changes, like a skilled player of under 6'0''.

Soon enough, you will notice if Weal is NHL material yes or no. When he is not, than at least we gave him a shot.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Hopefully Weal will get some NHL minutes next season. Dont want to jump on the bandwagon but those hands look so smooth. Right now I just cant believe he wont succeed in the NHL. I think O'Neill is one of those great AHL players but thats about it.

Still remember Weal's junior days, when he had twice as many points as the 2nd leading scorer. People thought he was a product of Eberle (which was logical to be honest) and than he had those two monster seasons without Eberle.

I hope the Kings stick to their gameplan/body of thought because I think they can easily be a playoff contender again next year. Though I hope they are open for little changes, like a skilled player of under 6'0''.

Soon enough, you will notice if Weal is NHL material yes or no. When he is not, than at least we gave him a shot.

I think he'll be in the NHL next year whether it's with us or not. The whole staff has had seats to see what he's been doing, they know it's his time; either they call him up with us (like they wanted to earlier in the season, damn you Slava) or they trade him at the draft.

Kid has a giant chip on his shoulder and has been doubted at every level since juniors as you point out. He has to be frothing at the mouth for a shot at this point.

scramble91

Jul 6, 2010

I agree. I wouldn't even say his hands are the best part. His IQ and positioning are solid while playing at a fast pace. There is no doubt in my mind that he is better than shore offensively. The one glaring hole in his game is face offs. He will struggle with that until he finds his groove. (His board play against Portland was surprisingly good, and he kept his cool with the goons taking runs at him)

I hope he continues his development trajectory and works even harder in the offseason, as it looks like he has the heart and brain for the next level.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I think what is turning heads with Weal is his compete level and turning it up in the playoffs. Lombardi and co LOVE that.

He will have to pass thru waivers...so unless the Kings plan on dealing him, I would think he is a lock next year. I hope so too.

Drop MR, and let Shore, Weal and Andreoff battle for the #3 and #4 center positions.

The Kings have shown in the past that the injection of youth wins them Championships after tough times....in 2012 they called up Nolan and King and in 2014 Pearson and Toffoli were full time players.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Weal has to be signed first (as does Shore and some others). It wouldn't surprise me if some other team made him an offer, and then LA would have to decide whether to match. Another team that would seriously want him would offer him a one way contract. He's had the kind of season where his stock has risen, albeit all games in the AHL! But I wouldn't be surprised if some teams wouldn't hold that against him.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Weal has to be signed first (as does Shore and some others). It wouldn't surprise me if some other team made him an offer, and then LA would have to decide whether to match. Another team that would seriously want him would offer him a one way contract. He's had the kind of season where his stock has risen, albeit all games in the AHL! But I wouldn't be surprised if some teams wouldn't hold that against him.

Yup, being an RFA makes the situation scary. That's why I think he's either on the team or traded at the draft, and I'm certain he gets a one-way contract either way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad