2014-2015 General Wild Discussion Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Be interesting to see some of the goals, and what kind of chances they are. The D core in Iowa is rough at best right now with Folin and Dumba up, and Olloffson injured.

Fun Fact: Justin Falk was on the ice for all 6 goals against Iowa tonight.

Yeah, it appears to be quite the dumpster fire down there.

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
It wasn't going to be good for Kemp's when he got a tripping penalty within first 3 mins of the 1st and they score on the PP.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
If we sign Duby there is no way we sign Niemi too. Buying out Backstrom is not completely wiping his contract and cap hit away. We don't wanna be paying 4 goalies again... Duby, Keumps, Niemi and Backs. Curry, Gustaffson and Michalek will have to handle Iowa.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
If we sign Duby there is no way we sign Niemi too. Buying out Backstrom is not completely wiping his contract and cap hit away. We don't wanna be paying 4 goalies again... Duby, Keumps, Niemi and Backs. Curry, Gustaffson and Michalek will have to handle Iowa.

Doubt we would be on the Niemi train anyways. 7 spots to sign/replace internally and about 10 million to play with for the coming offseason. Granlund taking up 2-2.5 Million of that for sure.

Decent shot guys like Graovac and Sutter have a shot at 4th line minutes, but I can't see us making a goalie splash baring us trading a large salary. And Niemi will be 3+ million

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Where did Niemi come from? Of course we wouldn't sign both of them. Buy out Backs, sign Dubnyk for ~$2.5m, Kuemper backs up.

Baring Dubnyk getting us into the playoffs with a .930+ the rest of the way, he's not getting 2.5m.

A lot closer to 1.5m.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Alright here are the 5 goals on Kuemper, in chronological order. I think 4 of them were PPG, but I was scrubbing through pretty quickly so I wasn't really listening. Also sorry for the quality, blame AHL live.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Y'alls getting way ahead of yourselves with Dubnyk extension talks - let's take this slow and easy.....

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I don't know. If he plays well, he'll have a nice bit of leverage on us. Goalie market isn't that great.

Really tough to wash off that Edmonton stank, and who else is looking for a guy to get prime minutes? I literally can't think of another team outside of Buffalo and Edmonton(God knows he's not going there again), and team's don't pay 2.5m for backup goaltenders.

I just went through the list of teams. Everyone except Buffalo/Edmonton/Minnesota either has an established starter making good money under contract, or a young guy on the cusp under contract.

Goalie Market isn't great for the goalies either. Its either the Wild, or two bottom feeders if you want a chance to start. As the Wild have at minimum a decent team with average goaltending, thats leverage for a goalie that wants to win and start.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
So 1, 3 and 4 were quality chances and 5 looked liked it was tipped.

2 was clown shows.

But similar story, sometimes you gotta make the big save.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Man, Kuemper.

Brutal team or not, it's gotta be kinda demoralizing to give up 5 and get pulled in an AHL game.

thanks for the gifs, tgf.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Y'alls getting way ahead of yourselves with Dubnyk extension talks - let's take this slow and easy.....

If I was Fletcher, i'd legitimately offer him a 1 year deal at 1m right now to see if you can get him locked up for next year. He's had far more average/good in his career than bad, most of it is simply hidden by god awful Edmonton teams.

Last year was the only season he's ever been below .914 Save Percentage. This team is solidly in the playoffs with a .914 save percentage this year.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
2nd Kuemper goal was awful. He's never been able to play the puck. 4th goal he's out way too far and not able to come back across.

The other three he didn't get much help. One-timer that nobody picks up. A complete yard-sale where nobody's playing defense. Screened by his defenseman.

If anything, just confirms my thought that Iowa has no defense at all. Been that way for years.

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
Another reason why ya just can't win being a GM. If Dubnyk keeps playing well, and gets us into the PO. and maybe win a round or two everyone will be begging for Fletch to sign him and if he does most likely Duby gets decent contract, and then if his play regresses then fans will say how stupid he was to hand out that contract and will ask Fletch's head. If he doesn't sign Dubs people will still want his head. Tough gig

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Depends on the contract.

Keep the term short and the money low, and it's fine. I don't think you can complain about the Kuemper contract, even though he hasn't played well. He's cheap and signed for two years.

Now, if he gives a contract like Coyle, something at $3-4m for five years, that's a huge mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad