2014-2015 General Wild Discussion Thread II (MOD WARNING POST #645)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Didn't you just said that some of the players should be on AHL but you want to sell veterans? Something doesn't add up.

Except I'm saying that the Wild should have sold off earlier on in Fletcher's tenure and rebuilt the team. Parise and Suter should have been part of the final pieces to the build, not the first part of the build.

Also; rebuilding means developing young players slowly and not rushing them into the AHL.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Sounds a lot like a certain captain of ours, which is exactly why he should be stripped of it. Koivu plays when he wants to play. And when he does play, Russo and the fan boys think it's the greatest thing ever. "Look how inspired he's playing these past two games. He's got a little fire tonight!" Then he disappears. We've come to expect poor from Koivu so when he's playing well it's a shock. Parise brings it every game, 110%. And that's why no one ever talks about him. We know what we're getting from him.

I'm a fan and I'm interested in who the captain is. Many other fans are as well and I'll tell you why. Parise is one of us, a Minnesotan. He choose to leave New Jersey to come home and be a savior to his home state's franchise. He's the best player on the team, the heart and soul. And now a completely inferior player is preventing Parise from finishing this sort of fairy tale. If the Wild ever won the cup, I want Parise to be the first to lift it. It's something we all dream about, what Parise is doing; to come back to soemthing you love and be loved back.

From a "fan" perspective, that's one reason I care. From a hockey perspective, Parise is a better captain and that's why I care.
Are you kidding? That is completely irrelevant. Who the #$@!@ cares that he is one of "us." I never understand why it's so damn important to some people that this player or that player is a hometown boy. I couldn't care any less about where a guy is from as long as he is doing his job. News flash: Parise didn't rush right over just to sign here, because he's a Minnesotan who had this great master plan to return home to save this team. BS! The fact that he's from here shouldn't even be mentioned when it comes to why a player should be wearing a "C."

Like others have already said. Some are putting way too much emphasis on the letter. It's not stopping Parise and anyone else from stepping in that lockerroom and trying to turn the ship around. And yet, nobody....NOBODY has stepped up to get control of the situation. Not even Parise. He's been great on the ice. But we have no voice in that room right now, which is sad because ANY player can step up and take control. But nobody has. You could get rid of the C and the A's altogether, and we'd still be in this #$@!storm right now.

Last edited:

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
Are you kidding? That is completely irrelevant. Who the #$@!@ cares that he is one of "us." I never understand why it's so damn important to some people that this player or that player is a hometown boy. I couldn't care any less about where a guy is from as long as he is doing his job. News flash: Parise didn't rush right over just to sign here, because he's a Minnesotan who had this great master plan to return home to save this team. BS! The fact that he's from here shouldn't even be mentioned when it comes to why a player should be wearing a "C."

Like others have already said. Some are putting way too much emphasis on the letter. It's not stopping Parise and anyone else from stepping in that lockerroom and trying to turn the ship around. And yet, nobody....NOBODY has stepped up to get control of the situation. Not even Parise. He's been great on the ice. But we have no voice in that room right now, which is sad because ANY player can step up and take control. But nobody has. You could get rid of the C and the A's altogether, and we'd still be in this #$@!storm right now.

I agree. The letters mean nothing at this point. It is something else. I can't stand the Koivu hate. This locker room is a mess trying to put things together right now. Stripping letters would do more harm than good imo.

I had a thought that maybe a lot of the players have put too much pressure on themselves and it's gotten into their heads.

Parise- His father is sick. He's been great but it probably weighs heavily on him.
Vanek- Is he fitting in? Is he putting too much pressure on himself or did we swing and miss on him all together?
Granlund- Due for a new contract. Is he over thinking it?
Coyle- Too much pressure on himself to justify a 5 year extension?
Haula- Sophomore slump. Too much pressure on himself to shine after a great playoffs?
Darcy- Him getting rattled is a huge problem. Maybe this short break gets him in the right mindset. If not, a sports psychologist needs to be brought in asap.

These players and everyone else needs to put the personal goals aside and just play their game we know they are capable of. The character of the team is going to be tested big time coming out of the Christmas break. Will they continue to struggle? Are they just not as good as we thought? Or will they step it up and show us what we know they can do?

As far as trades, we need a bottom pairing Dman. Prosser is hot garbage and should have no place on a team that wants to be seen as elite. The goalie situation is what it is. We need one of them to string a few good games together. Hopefully that motivates the other and we can get on a run. We're 9 games from the midway point. They need to go 6-3 or better to be on a 94 point pace. With how bad it's been i'd be comfortable with that pace knowing they certainly can improve.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I hope the next coach implements a rotating captaincy so we don't have to talk about it anymore.

People will go from complaining about Koivu to complaining about who gets the C that month AND that they think XXX should be made permanent Captain.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
I hope they take Captaincy away completely and just refuse to put letters on anyone. Or C on Yeo and A's on assistant coaches.

Slick Willy*

Reading some of the comments I wonder if we shouldn't just tank at this point for McDavid. If we got him at least then we'd get a Winter Classic. :laugh:

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
There's no way we get a top-3 pick. Team has too much talent to out-lose Buffalo, Edmonton, Carolina, etc.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Getting a top ten pick isn't out of the question, as much as I don't want it.

Then winning the lottery would be somewhat possible, if however unlikely.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
There's no way we get a top-3 pick. Team has too much talent to out-lose Buffalo, Edmonton, Carolina, etc.

Um, hate to say it but Buffalo is only 6 points away from Minnesota. Minnesota is essentially +/-5 games from the 2nd overall pick to a playoff spot.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Um, hate to say it but Buffalo is only 6 points away from Minnesota. Minnesota is essentially +/-5 games from the 2nd overall pick to a playoff spot.

That's an indication about how much we're underachieving. Don't see how any other assumptions can be made just by looking at standings. It's pretty clear our roster isn't in the same tier as Buffalo.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Wild will probably finish between 8 and 12, depending on when they go on their late season run. Last year it was early enough to get into the playoffs.

I could see them finishing around the 11th. I'm still hopeful for a turnaround, but the quotes from the players are not something that strike me as optimistic of their chances. Doesn't help the division is absolutely stacked this year either. We haven't even gotten hardcore into it yet either. Only played Chicago once and Nashville once IIRC. Winnipeg 2 times so far I think??

Getting a top ten pick isn't out of the question, as much as I don't want it.

Then winning the lottery would be somewhat possible, if however unlikely.

Do they still have the rule where you can only move up 2 spots where you finished or whatever the hell it was? IIRC New Jersey had that issue a few years ago.

That's an indication about how much we're underachieving. Don't see how any other assumptions can be made just by looking at standings. It's pretty clear our roster isn't in the same tier as Buffalo.

Agreed. As cliche as it is, I fancy it with Herb Brook's quote from the movie: "I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the right ones." Everyone on this board has said it for years that the team can compete heavily on paper, but it is real life where they have issues. I recall after Seto and Heater were acquired how excited we all got because it appeared we had a legit Top 6 after years of the top line being Bruno-Koivu-Mittens and Brodziak-Clutter on the 2nd line.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
It's bad enough they are underachieving, but now the flu after the mumps. Illnesses are gonna save Yeo's job when we miss the playoffs.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Problem is though that they'll probably finish in the middle of the pack. Only option would be to possibly make a trade and move up closer.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Anyone truly believe we're not done at this point?

I have absolutely zero optimism right now. Season's over IMO.

Slick Willy*

Season's like half way done.

Hard to say how the rest plays out. I'd say we could probably make the playoffs - we need a Josh Harding type goalie though. Need to trade or pick someone up who can give a chance night in, night out.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Man, you guys are a depressive bunch. There is not a chance we miss the playoffs if we play like we did tonight. Our defensive structure was there and the energy was elevated. 2 of those goals should never go in. Kuemper could have honestly had a shutout tonight.

If Brodin is out indefinitely and it's long-term, then we might be ****ed. We'll be able to survive without Granlund, but we absolutely need Brodin.

If Granlund is out, what lines do we roll with?

Zucker - Koivu - Nino

Parise - Coyle - Pominville

Cooke - Haula - Vanek

Carter - Brodziak - Fontaine

Actually not that bad of a line-up.

If Brodin is out, we're ****ed though.

Suter - Spurgeon

Scandella - Folin

Falk - Bickel

no bueno

Edit: Went up the thread a bit, are we seriously talking about the lottery? :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad