2014-2015 General Wild Discussion Thread II (MOD WARNING POST #645)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Jarick: Haula's line may have almost as many SOG as Koivu's, but that's with 2nd-tier competition at best, and with Koivu's line having possibly the worst possible winger for that kind of use. Same for the 1st line. It's a hell of a lot easier to generate offense when you have worse competition and you could even get more offense out of Koivu's line with more suitable personnel.

Haula has done zip to earn a promotion, he has not passed Koivu in any area. Therefore he doesn't get more TOI even if Vanek is out with him, which will then reduce Vanek's TOI too. I would only go there if there were no more options left (as in that he had already been tested with Granlund and Pominville), because the way I see it, it would be like admitting signing him was a mistake because he doesn't fit in. It should be a last resort, at least until Haula actually shows significant improvement.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Nino Koivu Coyle
Parise Granlund Pominville
Vanek Haula Zucker
Cooke Brodziak Fontain

Suter Spurgeron
Brodin Dumba
Scandella Folin

PP1

Vanek Granlund Parise

Spurgeron/Folin Zucker

PP2

Pominville Koivu Nino

Dumba Suter/Brodin

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Jarick: Haula's line may have almost as many SOG as Koivu's, but that's with 2nd-tier competition at best, and with Koivu's line having possibly the worst possible winger for that kind of use. Same for the 1st line. It's a hell of a lot easier to generate offense when you have worse competition and you could even get more offense out of Koivu's line with more suitable personnel.

Haula has done zip to earn a promotion, he has not passed Koivu in any area. Therefore he doesn't get more TOI even if Vanek is out with him, which will then reduce Vanek's TOI too. I would only go there if there were no more options left (as in that he had already been tested with Granlund and Pominville), because the way I see it, it would be like admitting signing him was a mistake because he doesn't fit in. It should be a last resort, at least until Haula actually shows significant improvement.

I never said Haula should get promoted, I was more thinking why we wouldn't bump him to the fourth line.

Another thing that occurred to me is that Coyle got a longer deal and more money than Nino while producing less offensively with better linemates and more PP time. That's a trend we're going to see continue, because they will want to justify that contract.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He got more money because it was a longer deal. And it's marginally more at best. I don't really know how contracts translate and all, but if Coyle took $3.2m for 5 years, I have a hard time thinking that he would've gotten more than Nino if it was only a 3 year deal.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
This was posted in the previous thread by someone else right before it closed, but it's worth re-posting.

The Wild's Jared Spurgeon: Big in stature if not in size

A few snippets:

How caught off-guard were the Wild’s equipment guys? On the road, they bring a bunch of extra preprinted jerseys of minor leaguers who might be called up.

Spurgeon’s sweater wasn’t in the bin.

Why would it be? His training camp jersey number was 78! Assistant equipment manager Rick Bronwell grabbed a No. 46 jersey, his lettering kit and sewed Spurgeon’s name above the number.

Why 46?

“It was one of the already numbered jerseys in the trunk that wasn’t assigned and was the correct size for him,” chuckled Bronwell, who learned a valuable lesson. Today, because of that Spurgeon scramble, the Wild’s equipment guys bring preprinted jerseys on the road for every Wild player under contract in Iowa.

“I’ll never forget me, [Sydor] and [assistant coach] Brian Wiseman watching the Calgary game and cheering like we were huge fans just because Spurge did everything right to get that opportunity,” Yeo said.

Their glee lasted a few moments until Sydor said, “We’re not getting him back.”

Casper

30 goal grinder
Mar 23, 2010
MN
He got more money because it was a longer deal. And it's marginally more at best. I don't really know how contracts translate and all, but if Coyle took $3.2m for 5 years, I have a hard time thinking that he would've gotten more than Nino if it was only a 3 year deal.

Exactly. Nino's deal was a bridge deal. Like Granlund, nino expects to increase his production over the next few years and hit a home run with his next contract. It was a choice by nino, same reason that Granlund is seeking a shorter term deal.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Can we all agree that Pominville should NEVER play the point on the PP?

Unless Suter, Spurgeon, Scandella, Brodin, Dumba, Folin are out. Then , maybe...

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
This was posted in the previous thread by someone else right before it closed, but it's worth re-posting.

The Wild's Jared Spurgeon: Big in stature if not in size

A few snippets:

Another great article from Russo.

I've been very impressed with Spurgeon the last year or so - I recently nominated him as the most underrated NHLer (more than Pascal Dupuis), but he is so underrated, nobody responded.

Smart, smart player.

Still marvel that this kid is an NHL defenseman:

mikerusso_1298438572_spurgeon.jpg

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Another great article from Russo.

I've been very impressed with Spurgeon the last year or so - I recently nominated him as the most underrated NHLer (more than Pascal Dupuis), but he is so underrated, nobody responded.

Smart, smart player.

Still marvel that this kid is an NHL defenseman:

mikerusso_1298438572_spurgeon.jpg

And that he has a 4 year old kid!

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Hey, our season finally is getting started for realz now... this time we have only 1 day off between games, then 1 day off before the one after, then it's no days off for the 3rd of those, then 1 day off after the back to back before the one after!

After such long breaks between games, we're not going to be able to breath anymore!

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Brodziak needs to get back in. This is ****ing ridiculous.

Funny how the "we need to play our guys" rhetoric for Prosser and Ballard doesn't apply to Brodziak.

He must have shown up out of shape and made Harding break his foot or something.....

Edit: just saw the thread on the board - right on.

Last edited:

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I want to see Zucker on the 3rd line with Haula and Nino

I would rather see

Parise-Granlund-Poms
Vanek-Haula-Zucker
Nino-Koivu-Coyle
Cooke-Brodziak-Fontaine

That 2nd line has everything it needs to succeed IMO. 3rd line would be a damn force.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I would rather see

Parise-Granlund-Poms
Vanek-Haula-Zucker
Nino-Koivu-Coyle
Cooke-Brodziak-Fontaine

That 2nd line has everything it needs to succeed IMO. 3rd line would be a damn force.

The Koivu line would be the "2nd" line in that scenario. It would likely score more, play more and play against tougher competition. But I wouldn't be opposed to trying those lines.

jimbowman

Mar 19, 2013
From the preseason game I went to (home against the blues), I think I remember Dumba being really active at the point on the PP. Could you put him on the left point with his right hand shot, have him cheat down and feed him one timers? Also could walk right from the point to the middle and take some shots or make some passes from a differnet angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad