Speculation: 2014-15 Stars Trade Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brand New Stars

Maybe I'll get killed for this, but if people truly believe in Faksa as 3C then how about Eakin for Gormley as a base?

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I'd do Eakin for Gormley but we'd have to eat some salary and send a defender, Gonchar or Connauton back or in a separate deal. Dallas can't have 9 defenders, 8 of whom are on one way contracts.

Stars90

Sep 24, 2013
Toronto
I think I'm a lot higher on Eakin than some people around here so I wouldn't do it. Not the worst proposal I've heard though. I can see why people would want to jump on it.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I'd like Gormley but not at the price I imagine it would take to get him. I think at this point we should be keeping our assets for a bigger fish on D. Aim for Seabrook ideally, but tough to imagine them trading him here.

Gormley isn't very physical is he? We need someone that is very solid defensively, big, and physical. Think a Shea Weber type...maybe not possible to get that caliber, but he's the type we need. We don't need another Jokipakka, Connauton, Goligoski, or Daley.

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
Gormley isn't very physical is he? We need someone that is very solid defensively, big, and physical. Think a Shea Weber type...maybe not possible to get that caliber, but he's the type we need. We don't need another Jokipakka, Connauton, Goligoski, or Daley.

Isn't he a Shea Weber type defenseman?

That's what a lot of scouts compared to him back in 2010.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
With Daley moving onto the first powerplay unit and Nemeth, Jokkipakka, Klingberg, and Oleksiak all requiring waivers next year, I wonder if we will be looking to trade Goligoski at some point.

What do you guys think he could return on the trade market?

MetalGodAOD*

I'm not ready to crown Daley the 1st unit guy after one game. Also both him and Goose were on it last night.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'm not ready to crown Daley the 1st unit guy after one game. Also both him and Goose were on it last night.

All but about out PP on opening night, Daley was on the unit over Goligoski. I agree that it's too soon to say he'd hold Goligoski off the entire year, but it's been mostly 5 games he's been on the top unit. Goligoski has only played on the top unit 1 game and 1 or 2 shifts in 2 other games.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Oh yeah ... did anyone else catch Razor saying the coaching staff believes Daley could be a premier two-way defender in the league? The PP time right now might not be enough to move him ahead of Goligoski on the depth chart, but that statement, if true, seems to carry a ton of weight.

It did immediately make me wonder if Daley had pushed himself past Goligoski. I still believe they only keep one likely.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I don't know, for me, I wonder about Dillon's future. The contract thing, his lack of a major step forward offensively. If the coaching staff/player management had to choose right now which of Goligoski/Daley/Dillon had to go to make room for the new guys...I wonder if Dillon would be one of the first out the door.

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
Goligoski goes to UFA next season. If they don't want to pay him more than he is making now I could see them exploring moving him at that point. With that said I don't really understand why discussion around our D always assumes one of these two guys has to be moved. We will have lots of cap space, they are making at or below their market value at the moment, and they are by far the two best D on the roster. Their pairing is the closest thing we have had to a legit top pair since Zubov+Norström. I think Dillon is more likely to be moved because we already have multiple d-men in the system that can do what he does. I mean sure I am all for dealing Goligoski in a move for a better d-man but it doesn't seem trades like that happen all too much. The other option, moving Goligoski for futures, just makes this team worse. I think its far more likely that if we are acquiring a top pair D at some point teams will demand one of our younger (cheaper) d-man instead. That means Oleksiak, Dillon, or Nemeth (I don't see them dealing the brother of the franchise player/captain).

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
They'd have to take one of Gonchar/Cole but curious if they'd be interested in one of Garbutt/Sceviour + a prospect. I'd be super reluctant to move Ritchie and doubt they want another prospect defender coming back. Hmm...what's fair value that I'd be okay with Dallas giving up?
We'll swallow Gonchar's cap hit if you'll hop on a Southwest flight and bring a briefcase with $6m in loose bills to West Glendale, but there's no way you're sending a cap dump out here. We can't even afford to send our one-way scrubs to the AHL and pay our two-way guys their NHL salaries.

Actually not opposed to another defensive prospect coming back. You guys have a ton of them who are NHL ready or nearly so: Klingberg, Jokipakka, Bystrom, Oleksiak, maybe Honka. How do you rank their value? If the rumors about Gormley are true, I wouldn't totally hate something like:

To DAL: Gormley
To ARZ: the worst defensive prospect in that group + something else
I'd do Eakin for Gormley but we'd have to eat some salary and send a defender, Gonchar or Connauton back or in a separate deal. Dallas can't have 9 defenders, 8 of whom are on one way contracts.
Send Gonchar to Austin. If you're lucky, someone will claim him. Neither him nor Connauton are of much interest in ARZ.
I remember their was a similar situation with Turris-Rundblad few years ago. Worked fine for Ottawa.
Apples and bowling balls. Turris was IN Phoenix, actively dogging it in games and *****ing about the coaching / his playing time / being in Arizona. Also, Rundblad was pretty highly rated at the time of the trade, and what's happened to him since is a whole other discussion :biglaugh:
I'd like Gormley but not at the price I imagine it would take to get him. I think at this point we should be keeping our assets for a bigger fish on D. Aim for Seabrook ideally, but tough to imagine them trading him here.
Agreed for you guys. Gormley would be the best of the Nemeth / Klingberg / Jokipakka / Oleksiak group, but he's in that group, he's not a first-pairing guy yet.
Maybe I'll get killed for this, but if people truly believe in Faksa as 3C then how about Eakin for Gormley as a base?
I would like to send you guys Antoine Vermette in exchange for Eakin, but Vermette / Hanzal / Gagner / Vitale down the middle is the strongest part of our forward corps. Gormley is our only valuable defenseman not currently in the NHL, so trading him for another center would be odd.
Isn't he a Shea Weber type defenseman? That's what a lot of scouts compared to him back in 2010.
Pretty much. Good skater. Positionally sound. Good puck mover. Physical but not an alpha-hoss or anything like that. He's been the #1, every situation defenseman for our AHL team the last 2 years, and there's nobody in forum=40 who doesn't think he belongs on the big club.

Last edited:

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
Apples and bowling balls. Turris was IN Phoenix, actively dogging it in games and *****ing about the coaching / his playing time / being in Arizona. Also, Rundblad was pretty highly rated at the time of the trade, and what's happened to him since is a whole other discussion

I was trying to say if the Stars were to swap top prospects, there was a similar situation in Ottawa.

Wasn't really "comparing" Turris-Rundblad to Gormley.

usefulfiction

Jan 10, 2006
Prosper, TX
Actually not opposed to another defensive prospect coming back. You guys have a ton of them who are NHL ready or nearly so: Klingberg, Jokipakka, Bystrom, Oleksiak, maybe Honka. How do you rank their value? If the rumors about Gormley are true, I wouldn't totally hate something like:

To DAL: Gormley
To ARZ: the worst defensive prospect in that group + something else.

What kind of something else would you be looking for?

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
So Nemeth?

The only thing we "need" on defense is talent and high hockey IQ.

Nemeth isn't a top pairing D. Could, should, will, won't....doesn't matter because he isn't...he's not even a #4 for us right now because he's hurt. Why I had to explain that to you is a mystery. You can go on pretending we don't need a true top pairing defensemen with size though, I'm sure Connauton will step up ;)

Last edited:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Too much to just quote ... so I'll just say this ... you can't waive Sergei Gonchar to send him to Austin because he has a NMC until January. When that does expire, sending him to Austin gives you zero cap relief because he's on a 35+ contract.

The only way to clear cap space with Sergei Gonchar is to trade him. You have no other options other than LTIR, and to this point he does not have a season ending injury.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Gromley does seem like a pretty reasonable option early in the season, but he's going to cost a premium young asset at forward. Probably Ritchie, and maybe you could convince them to take Dickinson instead, but I wouldn't count on it.

There is no reason for them to move him right now just because he's a bit unhappy in the AHL. Personally, I think his upside is higher than Rundblad's probably, and I'd be surprised if he didn't bring back a pretty significant and equal upside forward back for the Yotes.

IMO ... if you're realistically going to target Gromley, the question is are you willing to give up Ritchie? I don't think that's the way to go, and I don't see much reason in them not expecting a close to NHL ready forward in return.

This early on, it just seems much more likely that Dallas is very patient and gives Oleksiak and Jokipakka every opportunity to succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad