Speculation: 2014-15 Stars Trade Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Jamie and Jordie don't do initials

That'd be a good reason to hold off acquiring Campbell until the summer ... but you might not have that option unfortunately. Fortunately if you aren't interested in Campbell ... I don't think there's anyway in hell Dallas pulls a trade this early in the season for a D. If Florida moves him quickly .... Dallas' likelihood of landing him is virtually zero.

Regardless ... as much as I doubt he actually makes it to FA, he's a guy I would hope they'd pursue via free agency. I don't think the Islanders are going to stumble this year, and I think they put major, major money on the table for him. I doubt he's making it to July 1st. Would be nice though.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Joe Thornton playing 3C

Cmon G

How is that any different than 2008 when Dallas had Richards, Ribeiro, and Modano (before he really fell off)? It's a minimal 2 year commitment when Shore and Dickinson belong on the AHL, and Faksa could step in on the 4th line after next year.

Dallas' 2008 team was great because they had 3 scoring lines and a defense playing over their head. That team could be good for the same reasons with hopefully a better defense.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Obviously with Thornton ... you're banking on the Sharks and that situation getting worse. You know they want him gone, but he controls every aspect of the situation, as he should, with the NMC.

If he never really gets too uncomfortable in SJ, he's not leaving, but if he went searching for a team, there aren't many options out there that can afford his cap space and give him a chance to compete for a Cup. Being in a 1C situation with a potentially improved D would give him that with Dallas.

I'm not optimistic he leaves SJ, but if he opened up to the idea, I think Nill and Dallas are a very attractive option.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Care to elaborate? IMO Goose has been very good for us and took his game to the next level last season

I was hoping Goose would be a PP QB....able to effortlessly set up and power play, have a powerful shot from the point, etc.

Thus far, he's failed to do that with any kind of consistency.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
6'0 and 190 is considered small these days?

I don't share Cin's exact opinion on Goligoski. I'm not his number one fan, but I appreciate his quality of work we've seen since late last year.

Yes the hockey world considers that small ... and it's actually kind of strange. Txomisc has brought this up several times. 5'11" which is probably what Goligoski is closer to and even 6'0 are small. Honka is downright a midget at 5'10". 6'2" and 6'3" or above and you're a giant.

There is about 4" to 6" between tiny and big in the NHL ... right or wrong.

Taller guys like Klingberg and Jokipakka are considered undersized because they're so light. In some cases ... many will call 190 lbs. small, but 210 or 215 is just right.

It's a very strange thing when you consider how small the gap often is. Is there really something to this? I honestly don't know. I've never seen a study by anyone showing a larger percentage of big men reach their potential than the smaller guys (Not talking the Gerbe's or St. Louis' of the world - that small of player obviously does often struggle and rarely make an impact).

One thing is for sure though ... Ruff likes them big. He's said he wants a big minute eater, and he's often talked about how valuable side is on the back end. It is a bit weird though to think 20 or so pounds makes that significant of a difference. Maybe it does.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Just for example ... some of my favorite linebackers and running backs were not big men.

MJD standing up a roided out Merriman on a blitz pickup is still one of my Top 10 NFL highlights.

The NFL is just as fascinated with size as the NHL is though, and I think in reality, being smaller in the NFL might be more difficult than being in the NHL.

aloonda*

Just for example ... some of my favorite linebackers and running backs were not big men.

MJD standing up a roided out Merriman on a blitz pickup is still one of my Top 10 NFL highlights.

The NFL is just as fascinated with size as the NHL is though, and I think in reality, being smaller in the NFL might be more difficult than being in the NHL.

jones-drew isn't small, he is short

same thing with msl

those guys are fireplugs

haf

Mar 3, 2008
I don't share Cin's exact opinion on Goligoski. I'm not his number one fan, but I appreciate his quality of work we've seen since late last year.

Yes the hockey world considers that small ... and it's actually kind of strange. Txomisc has brought this up several times. 5'11" which is probably what Goligoski is closer to and even 6'0 are small. Honka is downright a midget at 5'10". 6'2" and 6'3" or above and you're a giant.

There is about 4" to 6" between tiny and big in the NHL ... right or wrong.

Taller guys like Klingberg and Jokipakka are considered undersized because they're so light. In some cases ... many will call 190 lbs. small, but 210 or 215 is just right.

It's a very strange thing when you consider how small the gap often is. Is there really something to this? I honestly don't know. I've never seen a study by anyone showing a larger percentage of big men reach their potential than the smaller guys (Not talking the Gerbe's or St. Louis' of the world - that small of player obviously does often struggle and rarely make an impact).

One thing is for sure though ... Ruff likes them big. He's said he wants a big minute eater, and he's often talked about how valuable side is on the back end. It is a bit weird though to think 20 or so pounds makes that significant of a difference. Maybe it does.

As important as height and weight are, as important is what generally comes with those traits. With height generally comes length, (longer arms, longer stick, longer stride) which can really help in the defensive zone. When jockeying in front of the net, even at the same weights, taller players seem to do better, just because of leverage. Board battles and pinning, harder to get around, size offers a lot of benefits.

Of the top 25 minute defensemen so far this year, only two are under six feet; daley and goligoski. Duncan Keith is 6'1" 200. Not a ton bigger. But bigger. Most were in the 6'2" or bigger category. Erik Karlsson is an outlier at 6'0" 180. Really light for the back end. But his game also looks like it.

There is no question either way that most of the big minute eating d-pairs with quiet games come with at least one hefty body back there. The biggest thing i learned from having Daley and Robidas for so long is that while smaller defenseman can play like legitimate number 1 defenseman at times, they can't do it at 26:00 a night every night in the NHL. They will break down. Which is the biggest thing I think size gives you, you can get the job done using less energy.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
Screw it, its clear what we need to do, keep Spezza at RW and and go get Joe Thorton for second line Center with hemsky and Nichushkin... Joking, but maybe not that crazy

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
They'd have to take one of Gonchar/Cole but curious if they'd be interested in one of Garbutt/Sceviour + a prospect. I'd be super reluctant to move Ritchie and doubt they want another prospect defender coming back. Hmm...what's fair value that I'd be okay with Dallas giving up?

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
Much interested in Gormley than Campbell.

They have to give away either top prospect (Ritchie, Faksa, or Shore) or a high draft pick (1st or 2nd). Can't imagine the Stars moving their 1st, so one of the top prospects has to go.

I remember their was a similar situation with Turris-Rundblad few years ago. Worked fine for Ottawa.

And I highly doubt the Stars would be getting Thornton...would be pretty funny if they do though lol.

Stars90

Sep 24, 2013
Toronto
I'd like Gormley but not at the price I imagine it would take to get him. I think at this point we should be keeping our assets for a bigger fish on D. Aim for Seabrook ideally, but tough to imagine them trading him here.

MetalGodAOD*

If only he was a RHD.

I'd still probably offer a lot for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad