Proposal: 2014/15 Season Trade Rumours and Proposals vol. V

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
If I was a rich owner I sure would.

Not saying Melnyk won't based on money but this move has better implications for for the future of the team. MPS has MUCH higher upside than Greening; why not give it a shot?

Here is the thing no owner is going to do that. Not for mps

He would lose millions for a player who hasn't done anything in the NHL just like greening

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I'd welcome MPS with open arms. He's like a better Smith/Greening.

Legwand/Pageau should remain as our number 3/4 centers so bring in MPS to play with the likes of Chiasson or Michalek or Condra in the bottom 6.

However, if we wanna make any knows, we gotta get Sekera/Gorges/whoever.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

He would lose millions for a player who hasn't done anything in the NHL just like greening

MPS is a 23 year old who once scored 34 points in a season as a 19 year old on a third line. Greening is a 28 year old who once cashed second assists off of Spezza.

GMs see a lot more potential in one of those players.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
I'd love Sekera if he were available.

Sadly you're right. I think we're all trying to imagine a magical scenario where Greening is whisked off the books and onto that island of misfit toys.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
MPS is a 23 year old who once scored 34 points in a season as a 19 year old on a third line. Greening is a 28 year old who once cashed second assists off of Spezza.

He had all of eight secondary assists. I know people like piling on Greening, but when a guy's primary assists outnumber the secondary ones, I'm pretty sure saying he was a product of secondary assist isn't a valid criticism.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
whatever needs to be done, commit to it. The absolute worst thing this org can do is to trade for a rental #4/5 D man or a top 9 winger and hope they make the playoffs when anyone with half a brain can see they wont.

Either start stripping this team down, I'm sure someone like McArthur or Cowen has value. Or commit by spending some damn money and bringing in more money than sending out and trade some of our prospects for decent talent.

I find myself watching less and less hockey and becoming extremely apathetic about this team, at least a team like the Leafs is entertaining in how they tease you with making it before they collapse, this team just sits in 11th all season and then finishes 10th.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

Is that worth spending millions on?

It's easy to say it when it isn't your money but no owner is doing that for mps

Even edm didn't want Roy for free instead traded a body and salary out

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
whatever needs to be done, commit to it. The absolute worst thing this org can do is to trade for a rental #4/5 D man or a top 9 winger and hope they make the playoffs when anyone with half a brain can see they wont.

Either start stripping this team down, I'm sure someone like McArthur or Cowen has value. Or commit by spending some damn money and bringing in more money than sending out and trade some of our prospects for decent talent.

I find myself watching less and less hockey and becoming extremely apathetic about this team, at least a team like the Leafs is entertaining in how they tease you with making it before they collapse, this team just sits in 11th all season and then finishes 10th.

1) you don't just spend money for the sake of spending.... You end up like the leafs an average team with no cap space

2) I am sure Murray is willing to do any other Ryan type deal.... There just isn't much high end talent avaliable

3) why trade Macarthur when he is part of the solution. U can't just keep trading players like that for prospects it gets u nowhere

4) if u can get a player who is a UFA but u believe they can be resigned then to me he is as good as any trade. People believe UFA is a bad I look at is as a tryout

5)again the leafs? Really go read their boards they are frustrated out of their minds and worst part being they are a cap team... U can't seriously be fine with getting outshot 20-4

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
1) you don't just spend money for the sake of spending.... You end up like the leafs an average team with no cap space

2) I am sure Murray is willing to do any other Ryan type deal.... There just isn't much high end talent avaliable

3) why trade Macarthur when he is part of the solution. U can't just keep trading players like that for prospects it gets u nowhere

4) if u can get a player who is a UFA but u believe they can be resigned then to me he is as good as any trade. People believe UFA is a bad I look at is as a tryout

5)again the leafs? Really go read their boards they are frustrated out of their minds and worst part being they are a cap team... U can't seriously be fine with getting outshot 20-4

Agree with mostly everything.

Concerning 5, I think his point was the leafs go for it every single year. And spend to the cap to do it (which we can't). And we get outshot all the time.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
MPS - Ottawa doesn't need another soft perimeter player taking up a roster spot when he isn't scoring which is all this guy is suppose to do. He either needs to play in the top 6 or play in the AHL or SEL, he brings nothing to the bottom six that we don't already have. BTW if they bring in MPS then that takes away an opportunity from Prince & Puempel or at the least make them wait a little longer.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Concerning 5, I think his point was the leafs go for it every single year. And spend to the cap to do it (which we can't). And we get outshot all the time.

4 games in a row with under 30 shots against, we seem to be moving in the right direction, while Toronto is closing in on last in the league for shots against.

I'm pretty happy with how the team has played since the coaching change, love that the young guys are getting some ice time (albeit thanks to injuries to Smith and Neil).

I don't see any need for drastic change to an already young team, we just need a Methot replacement and to let the young guys develop.

I think Phillips will continue to be in and out of the lineup or at least 3rd pair once the blue line gets healthy, which is a step in the right direction, and I hope management realizes that Neil is not needed anymore.

Smith might be salvageable, but I'd be fine moving him.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
4 games in a row with under 30 shots against, we seem to be moving in the right direction, while Toronto is closing in on last in the league for shots against.

I'm pretty happy with how the team has played since the coaching change, love that the young guys are getting some ice time (albeit thanks to injuries to Smith and Neil).

I don't see any need for drastic change to an already young team, we just need a Methot replacement and to let the young guys develop.

I think Phillips will continue to be in and out of the lineup or at least 3rd pair once the blue line gets healthy, which is a step in the right direction, and I hope management realizes that Neil is not needed anymore.

Smith might be salvageable, but I'd be fine moving him.
I think everyone has a different idea/definition of drastic change

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
MPS - Ottawa doesn't need another soft perimeter player taking up a roster spot when he isn't scoring which is all this guy is suppose to do. He either needs to play in the top 6 or play in the AHL or SEL, he brings nothing to the bottom six that we don't already have. BTW if they bring in MPS then that takes away an opportunity from Prince & Puempel or at the least make them wait a little longer.

This is what jumps off the page. I'm hoping to see Prince get some games this year and both of them to make the team next year.

Also hoping Pageau stays up when Lazar returns. For that to happen someone has to go, or Lazar returns to junior. I'm 50/50 with that idea, knowing its only for a few months to get his scoring punch back and take his team possibly to another MemCup run. But I like him here as well because of his smarts and work ethic.

Smith, Michalek, Greening can all go away to facilitate this.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think everyone has a different idea/definition of drastic change

Fair enough. But to me, upgrading the top line or adding a top pair d (on top of whatever we do about method) would be pretty substantial. Any talk of trading Anderson and tanking for a pick would be pretty drastic too.

I still believe this would be a playoff team with a healthy methot, but I respect that some disagree.

I'm hoping last night's game is enough to get an extended look at wiercioch with Karlsson, despite a solid game from Phillips I'd still rather see him on the bottom pair. Every time wiercioch and karlsson play together we get lots of chances. I can deal with the occasional running around in our end as when the do get the puck it tends to get out of the zone more effectively.

WhiteLight*

Fair enough. But to me, upgrading the top line or adding a top pair d (on top of whatever we do about method) would be pretty substantial. Any talk of trading Anderson and tanking for a pick would be pretty drastic too.

I still believe this would be a playoff team with a healthy methot, but I respect that some disagree.

I'm hoping last night's game is enough to get an extended look at wiercioch with Karlsson, despite a solid game from Phillips I'd still rather see him on the bottom pair. Every time wiercioch and karlsson play together we get lots of chances. I can deal with the occasional running around in our end as when the do get the puck it tends to get out of the zone more effectively.

I like Wiercioch with Karlsson. Karlsson doesn't need to play with a bruiser, he needs someone who is good positionally, and a little bit of skill, passing ability and long reach is always good. Karlsson was real good with Kuba, Wiericoch is really similar to him

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
I'd say I'm suprised we didn't pick up MP, but over his time here Murray is seemingly adverse to the waiver wire

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Why would we pick up MPS when we have 15 forwards and are looking to give guys like Prince and Puempel looks sometime this season....

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Why would we pick up MPS when we have 15 forwards and are looking to give guys like Prince and Puempel looks sometime this season....

14 forwards, smith and neil are injured (and the way they were playing they shouldnt be in the lineup to begin with)

so we have 12 forwards right now, picking up an extra forward is not the worst thing in the world and frankly i would have him over greening quite easily

no point in calling up prince/peumpel for 4th line minutes

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

we havent been getting out shot much since mac was fired

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
14 forwards, smith and neil are injured (and the way they were playing they shouldnt be in the lineup to begin with)

so we have 12 forwards right now, picking up an extra forward is not the worst thing in the world and frankly i would have him over greening quite easily

no point in calling up prince/peumpel for 4th line minutes

Sorry, what does MPS bring that is better than Greening? There is a reason this guy did not get picked up by anyone...

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Sorry, what does MPS bring that is better than Greening? There is a reason this guy did not get picked up by anyone...

both are pretty useless, but mps atleast what i have seen of him recently uses his speed and is pretty good defensively

MPS hasnt shown any offensive talent recently (like greening) but considering he actually uses his speed and is good defensively means he is already two steps up from greening

its an improvement, and i rather give another player a chance to improve since greening hasnt really shown any signs of improvement

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario

This is way too rational thinking, stop it before it becomes contagious. :nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad