Speculation: 2014-15 Offseason Roster Discussion Thread (Cap, Roster, etc) - Part IV (Mod Warning)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Sorry but a poor finals doesn't make him worthless

He actually was solid for Rangers in regular season and he is faster then Handzus

If effectiveness on PP is how we judge players then many of Hawks best players must be terrible

20 goals + 31 assists this past year with Rangers. No reason to think he cant be a caretaker #2C

Teuvo is likely not ready for role and a vet like Richards at affordable cost is a major upgrade over Handzus and anything else Hawks could slot into that role

Agreed. If Richards was willing to take a lower salary because of the buy out and chase a ring, I'd love to get him on an affordable 2 years deal.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Richards already has his name on the Cup. I think he stays in the east on the biggest FA deal possible.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I'm a big B. Richards fan but I don't think he helps Chicago win games for what he's likely to get paid. Too slow, not good enough defensively, and too much regression in too short of a period of time for me, unless he takes a real cheap and short contract. He's 35 next may so I can't imagine him accepting less than 3 years on a deal.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Richards already has his name on the Cup. I think he stays in the east on the biggest FA deal possible.

Ten years ago. A lot of players have said that winning it once makes you want to win it again like nothing else.

It's worth a shot, at the very least. Richards would be perfect. Still a quality playmaker and is responsible in his own zone. He'd be a great fit between Sharp and Hossa.

Definitely worth it on a cheap, short term deal. It really all depends on him.

EDIT: Wait, why is someone saying he's not 'good enough' defensively? The guy isn't Toews but he's certainly not going to hurt you on D.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Sharp - Toews - Hossa
Saad - Shaw - Kane
Bickell - Kruger - Versteeg
Bollig - Fiddler - Smith
Morin

Keith - Seabrook
Hammer - Oduya
Leddy - Brookbank
Rundblad

Crawford
Raanta

That's probably what we are looking at, and it will be good enough to win a Cup again, whether they do or not is another question.

Your team has
- A 3rd line winger pretending to be top 6 talent
- A very questionable 3rd line
- horrid 3rd pairing again come playoff time
- No NHL capable backup
- And piss poor depth as Q will not play Morin he has shown and Rundblad is waste of NHL spot

That team isn't beating the Kings in a 7 game series

nickynick001

Jun 3, 2014
Ten years ago. A lot of players have said that winning it once makes you want to win it again like nothing else.

It's worth a shot, at the very least. Richards would be perfect. Still a quality playmaker and is responsible in his own zone. He'd be a great fit between Sharp and Hossa.

Definitely worth it on a cheap, short term deal. It really all depends on him.

EDIT: Wait, why is someone saying he's not 'good enough' defensively? The guy isn't Toews but he's certainly not going to hurt you on D.

I feel like 6-7 million over 2 years is the max for him for the Hawks. But it depends on the market for him. Personally I like the idea, but it has to make sense finically for the Hawks.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
I see

So Toews and Kane already have names on cup ,, Why should they sign with Hawks?

Take the big money FA route and enjoy it

Toews and Kane have only played for one team their entire careers. Its a different situation than a guy like Brad Richards who has now been discarded by 2 teams in his career that he helped get to the SCF. I see him not settling for anything less than 4m and I don't think he's worth it to the Hawks to acquire him at much more than 2m.

Does he have any ties to any players/coaches on the Hawks or the city itself that I have forgotten about that would suggest he'd have a strong desire to come to Chicago besides just for a chance at a cup favorite?

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I don't think Montoya would be the answer too...

I'd much rather have a backup that is used to play 20 games a season with going 3 weeks without a start. That would be Greiss.

Greiss is the goalie I would want if it's not Raanta

I don't get why Richards wouldn't fit in with us. If he accepts 3.5 or less he'd be perfect for us behind Toews. Not as much pressure being "only" the 5th or 6th best forward on the roster.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Bubba, why do you think he would take so little?

I mean in a market where Dave Bolland is getting $5 m most likely... I just don't see that discount from a player with no ties to chicago.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
winning the cup, getting money from the buyout, playing next to Hossa or Kane

if he doesn't accept this, he can become the next failure like Vinny in Philly.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Capgeek has him with both a NMC and modified NTC. Did the nmc expire?

The NMC prevents him from being sent to the AHL or being waived.

Sorry but a poor finals doesn't make him worthless

He actually was solid for Rangers in regular season and he is faster then Handzus

If effectiveness on PP is how we judge players then many of Hawks best players must be terrible. Also Richards had 5 PP goals and 14 A on PP which would put him 4th on Hawks this past year (Ahead of Toews , Hossa , Saad and Shaw)

20 goals + 31 assists this past year with Rangers. No reason to think he cant be a caretaker #2C

Teuvo is likely not ready for role and a vet like Richards at affordable cost is a major upgrade over Handzus and anything else Hawks could slot into that role

Sorry, but I expect a lot more than simply not being useless.

Signing Richards up for 3-4 years at $4m is just idiotic. Hopefully Stan isn't this stupid

I'm a big B. Richards fan but I don't think he helps Chicago win games for what he's likely to get paid. Too slow, not good enough defensively, and too much regression in too short of a period of time for me, unless he takes a real cheap and short contract. He's 35 next may so I can't imagine him accepting less than 3 years on a deal.

That's because he won't..nor will he be signing a cheapie contract. All that's happening is the same fantasizing as every year when people pretend there are a bunch of desirable UFAs just dying to come and play in Chicago for less money and less term than they can get elsewhere...even though this never happens!

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If they are making a big splash it has to be sharps slot leaving. This actually makes sense to me more then most trade proposals thrown around this board. The guys here who hate bickel and have him moving in all trades makes me laugh. Big heavy who for the second year in a row finished playoffs on the hawks top line aint the piece getting moved in a conference with the blues, kings, ducks all looking to get bigger. Sharp also has slipped below saad in my mind because saad is another fairly big boy who can skate and he showed dominance toward then end of the playoffs. sharp is moving in any deal that returns a big piece.

Guaranteed they aren't making a big splash, they don't need to.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Your team has
- A 3rd line winger pretending to be top 6 talent
- A very questionable 3rd line
- horrid 3rd pairing again come playoff time
- No NHL capable backup
- And piss poor depth as Q will not play Morin he has shown and Rundblad is waste of NHL spot

That team isn't beating the Kings in a 7 game series

My team has
3rd line winger playing on the 3rd line
A solid 3rd line
an OK 3rd pairing that can be improved at the TD.
an NHL capable backup
good depth as Q will paly Morin if he improves his all around game and consistency, (or they will trade for depth)

The team could very well beat the Kings in 7 games, like the weaker team this past year almost did.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
The NMC prevents him from being sent to the AHL or being waived.

Sorry, but I expect a lot more than simply not being useless.

Signing Richards up for 3-4 years at $4m is just idiotic. Hopefully Stan isn't this stupid

That's because he won't..nor will he be signing a cheapie contract. All that's happening is the same fantasizing as every year when people pretend there are a bunch of desirable UFAs just dying to come and play in Chicago for less money and less term than they can get elsewhere...even though this never happens!

Thank you. :)

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
My team has
3rd line winger playing on the 3rd line
A solid 3rd line
an OK 3rd pairing that can be improved at the TD.
an NHL capable backup
good depth as Q will paly Morin if he improves his all around game and consistency, (or they will trade for depth)

The team could very well beat the Kings in 7 games, like the weaker team this past year almost did.

- Saad and Kane play on 3rd line now? Shaw as #2C is waste of another year of Kane's career
- Sure solid if Steeger is better , Bickell actually shows up and Kruger finally shows something when not playing on 4th line
- A mediocre 3rd pairing with a absolute trainwreck in Leddy who cant play playoff hockey
- Raanta is not an NHL capable backup ,, He was one of the worst backup goalies in NHL last year
- Give up the Morin dreams

Hawks aren't beating the Kings anytime soon with that horrid 5-7 D and a collection of #3/4 C's behind Toews

Kings have 4 better centers then Shaw/Kruger/Fiddler

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
- Saad and Kane play on 3rd line now? Shaw as #2C is waste of another year of Kane's career
- Sure solid if Steeger is better , Bickell actually shows up and Kruger finally shows something when not playing on 4th line
- A mediocre 3rd pairing with a absolute trainwreck in Leddy who cant play playoff hockey
- Raanta is not an NHL capable backup ,, He was one of the worst backup goalies in NHL last year
- Give up the Morin dreams

Hawks aren't beating the Kings anytime soon with that horrid 5-7 D and a collection of #3/4 C's behind Toews

Kings have 4 better centers then Shaw/Kruger/Fiddler

Thought you were referring to Versteeg.

Kane doesn't need a top 6 C, he needs a guy to go to the corners and the front of the net and who is responsible defensively. he carries the puck the majority of the time. Not a waste whatsoever.

3rd line could be very good if Bicks and Versteeg come 100% healthy into the season. Kruger is there for defensive purposes.

Leddy isn't a train wreck, he had a mediocre playoff, just needs to show slight improvement.

Raanta is a capable backup

Morin will be fine

Hawks have 4 better wingers than the Kings.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Kane doesn't need a top 6 C, he needs a guy to go to the corners and the front of the net and who is responsible defensively. he carries the puck the majority of the time. Not a waste whatsoever.

3rd line could be very good if Bicks and Versteeg come 100% healthy into the season. Kruger is there for defensive purposes.

Leddy isn't a train wreck, he had a mediocre playoff, just needs to show slight improvement.

Raanta is a capable backup

Morin will be fine

Hawks have 4 better wingers than the Kings.

1) Sounds like same reasoning Q used for Handzus in that role ,, Shaw is not defensively responsible all the time and often does stupid thing. Worst type of fit for Kane.

We saw that line trapped in own end often in limited time it was together. Not a single one of those 3 can win a faceoff either so you have a major problem there

2) And what if Steeger doesn't improve and Bickell doesn't do anything in regular season again? Also everytime Kruger has been used in top 9 role he has faltered so giving him 3rd C spot is major risk.

3) 3 straight years of Leddy being disaster (4 if you hold his rookie year against him) with no signs of improvement. Hawks cant afford to waste every year hoping that Leddy somehow gets it now

4) Capable backup for the Hogs maybe but as an NHL netminder he was horrendous

5) Sure playing with Islanders or Panthers when they pluck him off waivers like Stanton

6) C > Wingers and most of the Kings centers outplayed Hawks top 6 wingers last playoffs

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Antti Raanta = 13-5-4 with 2.71 GAA and .897 sv pct
Scott Clemenson = 6-7-1 with 3.09 GAA and .896 sv pct
Anders Nilsson = 8-7-2 with 3.11 GAA and .896 sv pct
Devan Dubnyk = 11-17-2 with 3.36 GAA and .894 sv pct
Reto Berra = 9-18-3 with 2.95 GAA and .893 sv pct
Anders Lindback = 8-12-2 with 2.90 GAA and .891 sv pct
Kevin Poulin = 11-16-1 with 3.29 GAA and .891 sv pct
Dan Ellis = 5-11 with 3.62 GAA and .879 sv pct
Jacob Markstrom = 2-8-3 with 3.39 GAA and .873 sv pct

The only guys to be worse then Raanta and get significant playoff time were usually Islander/Panther or Oiler goalies

Outside of Berra none of these goalies is likely to be in NHL next year ,,, Yet people want Raanta back

He was pathetic behind a far better team then guys on this list

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007

Is it any different than all the people calling for these huge trades for Thornton or Kesler? Those really do never happen; not with the Hawks, anyway.

But I'll answer my own question. Well, yes, talking about Richards is different from talking about Thornton/Kesler. It's more realistic. It's very conceivable that a veteran like Richards - a guy who is being paid a ton of money via a buyout in addition to whatever cash he gets with his next contract - would take less for a chance to win.

Add in the linemates he'd get in Chicago and it becomes a very attractive proposition.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Is it any different than all the people calling for these huge trades for Thornton or Kesler? Those really do never happen; not with the Hawks, anyway.

But I'll answer my own question. Well, yes, talking about Richards is different from talking about Thornton/Kesler. It's more realistic. It's very conceivable that a veteran like Richards - a guy who is being paid a ton of money via a buyout in addition to whatever cash he gets with his next contract - would take less for a chance to win.

Add in the linemates he'd get in Chicago and it becomes a very attractive proposition.

Richards already has a cup - so it's not like he hasn't been there before.

I guess we'll find out soon enough who is right, but I would be shocked if he ends up in Chicago and with a contract for anything less than 3 years and about $4 - 4.5m aav

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Antti Raanta = 13-5-4 with 2.71 GAA and .897 sv pct
Scott Clemenson = 6-7-1 with 3.09 GAA and .896 sv pct
Anders Nilsson = 8-7-2 with 3.11 GAA and .896 sv pct
Devan Dubnyk = 11-17-2 with 3.36 GAA and .894 sv pct
Reto Berra = 9-18-3 with 2.95 GAA and .893 sv pct
Anders Lindback = 8-12-2 with 2.90 GAA and .891 sv pct
Kevin Poulin = 11-16-1 with 3.29 GAA and .891 sv pct
Dan Ellis = 5-11 with 3.62 GAA and .879 sv pct
Jacob Markstrom = 2-8-3 with 3.39 GAA and .873 sv pct

The only guys to be worse then Raanta and get significant playoff time were usually Islander/Panther or Oiler goalies

Outside of Berra none of these goalies is likely to be in NHL next year ,,, Yet people want Raanta back

He was pathetic behind a far better team then guys on this list

Except Raanta is still a prospect? What would have been an appropriate expectation for his performance in his first year in North American hockey to you?

SLarmer28*

Brad Richards is slow as molasses. The Chicago Blackhawks do not need another Handzus redux from the 2013-14 NHL Season.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Except Raanta is still a prospect? What would have been an appropriate expectation for his performance in his first year in North American hockey to you?

Hasek was older than Raanta and we launched him under the same circumstances. I'm not saying he'll be Hasek but we need another year to find out if he has improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad