Prospect Info: 2014/15 Marlies/Prospects Thread v.5 - Now with more Leipsic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
I wouldn't be shocked to see more prospects shipped out either before the trade deadline or before the draft, much like Broll and Ashton already were. There is only so much space for players to begin with, and more will be coming in. Plus, a decent prospect can help to sweeten the pot in a deal for Bozak, or Dion etc.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
Alright going to give a half scouting report if anyone cares

Was at the game tonight.

Brown was the best forward on the ice. He was trying to make things happen even though we got dominated. Doesn't give up the puck easily and always seems engaged.

Nylander. He's an incredible talent and he really does look like Kane when he caries the puck. He looks disinterested when he doesn't have it though. It's not like he doesn't try or anything but you can tell he's not in to it. When the puck gets near his stick though he turns on another gear its unreal. So talented. Just hoping he can make his defensive game work in the NHL.

Percy is increedibly talented, but didnt play well today IMO. Way too many giveaways and bad passes. It was weird to see because you can tell by watching that he might be the best player on the ice.

Other note Abbott looked absolutely ****ing terrible. Bibeau was good, def not his fault.

The team in general got dominated. Seriously it just seemed like we were outplayed all game.

Leafed

Jan 28, 2009

Was at the game tonight.

Brown was the best forward on the ice. He was trying to make things happen even though we got dominated. Doesn't give up the puck easily and always seems engaged.

Nylander. He's an incredible talent and he really does look like Kane when he caries the puck. He looks disinterested when he doesn't have it though. It's not like he doesn't try or anything but you can tell he's not in to it. When the puck gets near his stick though he turns on another gear its unreal. So talented. Just hoping he can make his defensive game work in the NHL.

Percy is increedibly talented, but didnt play well today IMO. Way too many giveaways and bad passes. It was weird to see because you can tell by watching that he might be the best player on the ice.

Other note Abbott looked absolutely ****ing terrible. Bibeau was good, def not his fault.

The team in general got dominated. Seriously it just seemed like we were outplayed all game.

Maybe you meant Loov? Loov is #50 on the Marlies, like Percy is on the Leafs. I did a double take at first too. Percy's actually out injured right now.

Otherwise, thanks for your thoughts. I agree with the sentiment that we were 'outplayed' all game. They look more disorganized and disengaged compared to other years I've watched them. Maybe it was a matter of Brennan being able to turn the game around from shift to shift... It generally seems like only Brown seems confident enough to believe he can make something happen.

Frattin is clearly a step ahead of the AHL level, yet the chemistry with the rest of the team just isn't there.... Leivo leaves a lot to be desired as our closest forward prospect... Hopefully Leipsic can provide a spark.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Was at the game tonight.

Thanks for sharing man.

I can already see people calling for Nylander's head for not being "engaged defensively" in 2 years time.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Nylander is definitely a floater... If you watched the WJC you know this already. Which is fine, i mean hes usually in the right position defensively just a bit of a floater. He does have good pick pocketing skills though.

Not harping on him, i love his game. Just saying hes a floater and needs guys who work hard on his line. He is no Phil though, he can actually be useful on the forecheck.

HockeyNightInBelfast

HockeyNightInBelfast
Mar 28, 2011
Belfast
www.facebook.com
Re Leipsic trajectory - remarkably similar career thus far to a certain former Leaf fave who was also undersized, had a prolific junior career & a tendency to play "outside the line"…

Nice pickup - give the lad time & if he ends up anything like a Gallagher, Marchand & turns into a nasty wee "tucker", then awesome..!

Last edited:

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Nylander is definitely a floater... If you watched the WJC you know this already. Which is fine, i mean hes usually in the right position defensively just a bit of a floater. He does have good pick pocketing skills though.

Not harping on him, i love his game. Just saying hes a floater and needs guys who work hard on his line. He is no Phil though, he can actually be useful on the forecheck.

He is a floater but I dont know if I agree as other have said that he isnt defensively engaged.

He is just going to play different, the bolded is important. Players like Datsyuk are gifted defensively but get like 30-40 hits a year, the rest of the time they are just using their stick to strip pucks. I saw this a ton with Nylander and I think he will only continue to build on it, very few players with his skill-set play a sound defensive game, its not something I am worried about for a few years.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Re Leipsic trajectory - remarkably similar career thus far to a certain former Leaf fave who was also undersized, had a prolific junior career & a tendency to play "outside the line"…

Nice pickup - give the lad time & if he ends up anything like a Gallagher, Marchand & turns into a nasty wee "tucker", then awesome..!

Exactly if Leipsic can turn into a full time NHL "wee tucker"/Marchand/Gallagher than I'm all for it. We're going to need guys like that down the road. Can't wait to see him on the Marlies

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
Maybe you meant Loov? Loov is #50 on the Marlies, like Percy is on the Leafs. I did a double take at first too. Percy's actually out injured right now.

Otherwise, thanks for your thoughts. I agree with the sentiment that we were 'outplayed' all game. They look more disorganized and disengaged compared to other years I've watched them. Maybe it was a matter of Brennan being able to turn the game around from shift to shift... It generally seems like only Brown seems confident enough to believe he can make something happen.

Frattin is clearly a step ahead of the AHL level, yet the chemistry with the rest of the team just isn't there.... Leivo leaves a lot to be desired as our closest forward prospect... Hopefully Leipsic can provide a spark.

Was that loov? Wow I should have caught that.

Hes good out there but I definitely noticed some turnovers against bing. He has so much more skill than I thought though and if he can put it together he'll be good

mikebel111*

Leipsic not playing today as all players need to report and get medicals done

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Yeah technically the trade isn't official until all players involved take medicals. Unfortunate he can't play yet but it is what it is.

natephil

Feb 13, 2010
I'm so sick of Leafs TV not offering any Marlies games for people like myself, who have bell and don't have Rogers TV. They play at the ACC today... How do they not have the game available and i went to get HockeyStreams and have to wait for them to email me to sign up which I recall people saying could be up to 24hrs. My family is boring and I don't want to hang out with them on Family Day. Rant over. LeafsTV sucks. That is all

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I've been watching Viktor Loov's game a lot lately.

Over the season, he's gradually jumped up into the play more and more. I think that he's got more and more confident and that's a great sign.

His physical play continues to impress me as well.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Our Marlies defence is disgusting. Mikkelson is awful.

He'll be gone next year. Same with Marshall.

Loov-Nilsson
Finn-MacWilliam
Valiev-Knodel
Everson

That's how I see it. Plenty of veteran depth still (MacWilliam and Knodel are both 24 or 25, and MacWilliam has had the 'A' for a while), but good combinations. Knodel and MacWilliam are both very versatile and trained to play on the right side. That's why I like them, and I think both will be breakout candidates for next year (along with Loov, Nilsson and Finn). Percy and Granberg should be the 3rd line next year.

On a separate note, why isn't Leipsic playing today?

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
This is about yesterday's game, posters said Nylander was invisible, did I watch the same game? He was pretty decent and created a lot of chances and had very solid zone entries. I think some posters are expecting too much from an 18 year old in the AHL

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Leafs TV is bad
They should carry ever Marlies game live now that they lost the Leafs games

I'm not 100% on this, but I think a lot of it has to do with the rights for broadcast.

Regardless, even if it's a jumbotron feed, they should still put something up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad