2014-15 Manitoba Bisons/CIS Thread

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Didn't Alberta lose a couple of game to the Dinos as well? Probably familiarity has a lot to do with it. They know what strategy to employ. Just like X knows what it takes to beat UNB.

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Didn't Alberta lose a couple of game to the Dinos as well? Probably familiarity has a lot to do with it. They know what strategy to employ. Just like X knows what it takes to beat UNB.

Including playoffs, Calgary beat Alberta 2 of the 6 meetings, UBC 1 of the 6.

UBC was able to push 1 of the 2 playoff games to OT after Alberta had been off for roughly a month.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007

In regard to UBC, I was actually referring to playoffs.

During the season, Calgary beat them twice one weekend to briefly create a race for first. They also lost once each to MRU and UBC. They beat Manitoba four times but twice were by one goal and twice by one plus an empty-netter.

And they lost in pre-season to Augustana, UBC, and Edmonton Oilers prospects.

In all cases they outshot their opponents, usually by a fair bit. The key has always been to let them shoot from the outside and keep them from the slot. A big strong defence capable of moving the puck on a counter-attack can handle them.

This year, the Monkeys have been very good at keeping their opponents' shots down. It is something people sometimes overlook. They gave up 25 shots per game, lowest in the CIS. (UNB were 2nd.) That dropped to 18/game in the CW playoffs and 14/game so far in the U-Cup.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Just taking a quick look at the CIS Team Stats page...Alberta gave up 21.89 shots/game in the regular season and UNB gave up 22.25/game. So not too much of a difference.

dale 1919

Jun 9, 2009
Wow, you got off the tractor to post!
Hard work on the farm these days??:D

It's Bear season out here and there's a grizzly on the loose.
Not so easy to trap a grizzlly, so Bearpaw thinks.::help:

Ha, out here the tractors are built like a modern living room! Big screen HD TV, satellite and GPS to drive them!
No need to get off is what I am saying.
Have watched all the games with great interest! As a matter of fact, I have watched all the CIS Sportsnet weekend games. Have you guys?
I run and find a TV in between periods to see who is beating who in men's and women's basketball. wHOC not so much.
I was really against the 8 team formats and really didn't care that they were all on the same weekend but it might have a chance!
We still have that bronze medal tilt this am .....hate it.
And basketball play a consolation side to see who (cares) gets to be fifth! Please tell me we won't be doing that any time soon.
Fred Miami Adam Holly and every one I can't wait to see U of A and UNB this afternoon it should be a dandy.
You Vred sand baggers and stuffer,the king of the sand bag radio tough guy from the west.....you all just don't want to jinx your boys today.
These two teams have been the best two teams for at least the past decade or more.Sure some years there is an upset but the rest of the CiS is below Holly's A- grading.
Face it, these two program are the A standard and the rest for the most part are what ever Holly wants to call them. And I for one can't wait to read his rankings and comments every week, take it for what it is. Any stuff on the CIS is good stuff IMO.
The OUA all were big and slow here again this year,and uQTR was like they are every year, couple of good guys a decent goalie and then nothing else. However I was just about to get up and leave when that come back started vs the Axemen. Yikes didn't see that coming
Calgary got off to another slow start and then their goalie let in a softie that killed any momentum and territory advantage they were building....they wouldn't have beat UNB ...neither would have MRU, UbC or sask and or Man, no scoring depth
Depth is the key and U of A and UNB have it. They can play four lines and 6 d , and no Bob they won't be less rested. If anything all them will be itchin to empty their tanks today! And four good lines, not two and a couple of 20 second energy shifts....
Depth because they stick to their process of who they go after to reload as someone said!Stan the man from u of a should get a pat here as 4 years ago he had a bumper crop and had to turn it over to Herbers, then he goes and adds Foster and two new d last year to maintain the gap between the rest of CW, maybe he knew he needed to get a coach either way good job by the alberta GM. Who else has one of those ( a GM) Great foresite by that program...coaches coach and he recruits and plans! But this is the fourth year for almost that entire group, that is unreal!
UNB is no different, they already have their sites on guy who probably won't last in the AHL and they know will come to them not UQTR.... They were not even the least bit affected by the 22 man headlock their colleges attempted on them.IMO it made the separation between UNB and the rest of the AUS even larger! Maybe even put the rest of the AUS behind a lot of OUA and CW schools. I mean cmon Acadia, that wasn't stage fright again, average team and ST F of X has done nothing since the Penguin was behind the bench and they upset I believe UNB.
I can't wait to get there and see the game today. Don't care who wins!
Seriously....the CIS wins!
and if you guys can get the milk pails off your big heads ( good luck bob) you would agree.
These teams sell our product! Get onboard for the ride!
Cheers

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Ha, out here the tractors are built like a modern living room! Big screen HD TV, satellite and GPS to drive them!
No need to get off is what I am saying.
Have watched all the games with great interest! As a matter of fact, I have watched all the CIS Sportsnet weekend games. Have you guys?
I run and find a TV in between periods to see who is beating who in men's and women's basketball. wHOC not so much.
I was really against the 8 team formats and really didn't care that they were all on the same weekend but it might have a chance!
We still have that bronze medal tilt this am .....hate it.
And basketball play a consolation side to see who (cares) gets to be fifth! Please tell me we won't be doing that any time soon.
Fred Miami Adam Holly and every one I can't wait to see U of A and UNB this afternoon it should be a dandy.
You Vred sand baggers and stuffer,the king of the sand bag radio tough guy from the west.....you all just don't want to jinx your boys today.
These two teams have been the best two teams for at least the past decade or more.Sure some years there is an upset but the rest of the CiS is below Holly's A- grading.
Face it, these two program are the A standard and the rest for the most part are what ever Holly wants to call them. And I for one can't wait to read his rankings and comments every week, take it for what it is. Any stuff on the CIS is good stuff IMO.
The OUA all were big and slow here again this year,and uQTR was like they are every year, couple of good guys a decent goalie and then nothing else. However I was just about to get up and leave when that come back started vs the Axemen. Yikes didn't see that coming
Calgary got off to another slow start and then their goalie let in a softie that killed any momentum and territory advantage they were building....they wouldn't have beat UNB ...neither would have MRU, UbC or sask and or Man, no scoring depth
Depth is the key and U of A and UNB have it. They can play four lines and 6 d , and no Bob they won't be less rested. If anything all them will be itchin to empty their tanks today! And four good lines, not two and a couple of 20 second energy shifts....
Depth because they stick to their process of who they go after to reload as someone said!Stan the man from u of a should get a pat here as 4 years ago he had a bumper crop and had to turn it over to Herbers, then he goes and adds Foster and two new d last year to maintain the gap between the rest of CW, maybe he knew he needed to get a coach either way good job by the alberta GM. Who else has one of those ( a GM) Great foresite by that program...coaches coach and he recruits and plans! But this is the fourth year for almost that entire group, that is unreal!
UNB is no different, they already have their sites on guy who probably won't last in the AHL and they know will come to them not UQTR.... They were not even the least bit affected by the 22 man headlock their colleges attempted on them.IMO it made the separation between UNB and the rest of the AUS even larger! Maybe even put the rest of the AUS behind a lot of OUA and CW schools. I mean cmon Acadia, that wasn't stage fright again, average team and ST F of X has done nothing since the Penguin was behind the bench and they upset I believe UNB.
I can't wait to get there and see the game today. Don't care who wins!
Seriously....the CIS wins!
and if you guys can get the milk pails off your big heads ( good luck bob) you would agree.
These teams sell our product! Get onboard for the ride!
Cheers

Well Said Dale!!!

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Stan the man from u of a should get a pat here as 4 years ago he had a bumper crop and had to turn it over to Herbers, then he goes and adds Foster and two new d last year to maintain the gap between the rest of CW, maybe he knew he needed to get a coach either way good job by the alberta GM. Who else has one of those ( a GM) Great foresite by that program...coaches coach and he recruits and plans!

UNB also has a GM...Roger Shannon, who is the Director of Hockey Operations for the Moncton Wildcats.

mikeandI

Jun 30, 2010
Other programs lack the funds for a GM.

For sure they do, you can look deeper and say most have no money for assistant coaches or video people, they rely on volunteers and nice uniforms , or not so nice uniforms. What they heck was Guelph wearing. They shouldn't be laughing at our light brown we tried running with a few years ago. Wow those were horawful as shaq would say.

Was just watching sportsnet...Carleton has won 10 of the last 13 mens BBall championships. Wow is that really correct. What are they doing correctly? That is impressive or deflating for the rest of the CIS.

What is the common denominator?

alberta Mens Volleyball is another perennial participant at the top of MVBall.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
For sure they do, you can look deeper and say most have no money for assistant coaches or video people, they rely on volunteers and nice uniforms , or not so nice uniforms. What they heck was Guelph wearing. They shouldn't be laughing at our light brown we tried running with a few years ago. Wow those were horawful as shaq would say.

Was just watching sportsnet...Carleton has won 10 of the last 13 mens BBall championships. Wow is that really correct. What are they doing correctly? That is impressive or deflating for the rest of the CIS.

What is the common denominator?

alberta Mens Volleyball is another perennial participant at the top of MVBall.

A lot of sports have had a dominant program or two over the last number of years:

Carleton in Men's BBall
Windsor in Women's BBall
Laval in Football
Alberta/McGill in Women's hockey
Alberta/UNB in Men's hockey
UBC in Women's Volleyball
Trinity Western in Women's Soccer

mikeandI

Jun 30, 2010
A lot of sports have had a dominant program or two over the last number of years:

Carleton in Men's BBall
Windsor in Women's BBall
Laval in Football
Alberta/McGill in Women's hockey
Alberta/UNB in Men's hockey
UBC in Women's Volleyball
Trinity Western in Women's Soccer

I get it bruin boy so what is the reason? You have been riding the v red wave for along time, is there a common denominator. I don't see it happening often if barely at all in the NCAA model. yet it happens a lot in the CIS. Both basket ball perennials just won again. So it continues in BBall

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Mar 15: Monkeys win!

Guelph-square-50x50.jpg
UQTR-50x50.jpg

GUELPH GRYPHONS 3
UQTR PATRIOTES 2

(in overtime)

Links:
Boxscores: [CIS]
Game Stories: [CIS] : [OUA]

The return of the bronze medal match in U-Cup hockey! Can't say I watched. But I suppose this validates Guelph's Queen's Cup win over UQTR. I cannot imagine that UQTR had much left after their Saturday night massacre at the hands of the Monkeys.

unb-hockey-50x50-1.jpg
Alberta-50px.jpg

NEW BRUNSWICK VARSITY REDS 3
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 6

Links:
Boxscores: [CIS] : [UNB]
Game Stories: [CIS] : [UNB] : [U of A] : [CW]

In what could have been an epic battle between #1 and #2, the Evil Monkeys showed the Squirrels that there really was no debate. The shots were 24-9. The fact that UNB was able to score on every 3rd shot shows just what the potential achilles heel was for the Monkeys.

While I did enjoy the coverage that the tournament had, there was a lack of a really good game. The closest was Acadia's choke job against UQTR. Guelph rode the hot goaltender to a win, on the afternoon of the opening day. It would have been nice for more evenly matched games to have been televised. I would guess that many casual fans would have tuned out early. As usual, sports is always a crap-shoot.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Former Bisons Win Allan Cup

Another Allan Cup for Manitoba! The South East Prairie Thunder beat the Bentley Generals 2-0 in the Allan Cup final on April 18th in Jolly Newfoundland.

Three Manitoba Bisons assistant coaches (Riley Dudar, Steve Christie, and Tyler Dittmer) played and one more (Brad Purdie) coached the SEPT.

The line-up also featured many other ‪Bison grads, namely: Mark Friesen, Brandon Lockerby, Greg Beller, Blair MacAulay, Dustin Hughes, Nick Cowan, Del Cowan, and Rob Smith.

The game was quite good. All the teams were full of guys from university and/or professional teams. It was shown live on TSN and will likely be re-run.

Links:

Team Stats: http://www.pointstreak.com/prostatstext/AC/teamstats_534761_12605.txt?hc_location=ufi

Pre-game notes: http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/pregamenotes.html?gameid=2655897&hc_location=ufi

Tournament scoreboard (with links to all scores, summaries, stats, etc.): http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/scoreboard.html?leagueid=442&seasonid=12605&hc_location=ufi

11159554_424496467718086_6496294775542395312_n.jpg

Last edited:

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
I watched parts of the game and noticed several former Bisons on South East and Bently with Former Dino's Bears,V-Reds and X players. There were several AUS players on the 2 NFLD teams.
Also, does Warroad Minn still compete at this level? Didn't they play against Manitoba senior Allan Cup play downs?

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I watched parts of the game and noticed several former Bisons on South East and Bently with Former Dino's Bears,V-Reds and X players. There were several AUS players on the 2 NFLD teams.
Also, does Warroad Minn still compete at this level? Didn't they play against Manitoba senior Allan Cup play downs?

The Warroad Lakers folded. So, too, did the St. Boniface Mohawks and EK-Elmwood Millionaires. Those teams all played in the CASH League, along with various other teams like the Thunder Bay Twins. Warroad was mostly Manitoba players.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
From what I understand this year's Allan Cup was severely watered down, as many of the Senior AAA teams didn't participate this year due to the cost of going to the Rock.

I know that Saskatchewan had only the Rosetown Red Wings declare as Senior AAA, meaning they had a bye to the Rathergerber Cup (I believe that is Manitoba/Saskatchewan playoff). Typically, there is 3 or 4 AAA teams in Saskatchewan.

The Lloydminster Border Kings took this opportunity to switch from Saskatchewan to Alberta this year. The rule for new teams is that you have to play Senior AA for a season in Alberta before playing Senior AAA. So they jumped to the Battle River Hockey League from the poorly run Sask West Hockey League. I think they have an eye on still rejoining the Chinook Hockey League.

If I remember right there were no BC teams, so the Chinook Hockey League Champ qualified directly to the Allan Cup. Quebec still fails to participate and Ontario only has the Allan Cup Hockey league to qualify.

I'm not sure what the state of Senior hockey is in Manitoba, but there are tons of Senior A, B, C and D teams in Saskatchewan, but so few decide to take the plunge to Senior AAA. I often wonder why that is, I suppose it is due to the costs for the playdowns. But in Saskatchewan, you still end up in cross-provincial playdowns for the SHA title.

I guess it could also be the costs involved in bringing in quality players. I know when the Border Kings hosted in 2012, they spent mid-six figures on player "compensation." I know that they were able to pry away ECHL players that year.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
From what I understand this year's Allan Cup was severely watered down, as many of the Senior AAA teams didn't participate this year due to the cost of going to the Rock.

I know that Saskatchewan had only the Rosetown Red Wings declare as Senior AAA, meaning they had a bye to the Rathergerber Cup (I believe that is Manitoba/Saskatchewan playoff). Typically, there is 3 or 4 AAA teams in Saskatchewan.

The Lloydminster Border Kings took this opportunity to switch from Saskatchewan to Alberta this year. The rule for new teams is that you have to play Senior AA for a season in Alberta before playing Senior AAA. So they jumped to the Battle River Hockey League from the poorly run Sask West Hockey League. I think they have an eye on still rejoining the Chinook Hockey League.

If I remember right there were no BC teams, so the Chinook Hockey League Champ qualified directly to the Allan Cup. Quebec still fails to participate and Ontario only has the Allan Cup Hockey league to qualify.

I'm not sure what the state of Senior hockey is in Manitoba, but there are tons of Senior A, B, C and D teams in Saskatchewan, but so few decide to take the plunge to Senior AAA. I often wonder why that is, I suppose it is due to the costs for the playdowns. But in Saskatchewan, you still end up in cross-provincial playdowns for the SHA title.

I guess it could also be the costs involved in bringing in quality players. I know when the Border Kings hosted in 2012, they spent mid-six figures on player "compensation." I know that they were able to pry away ECHL players that year.

The Senior AAA has the same cast of characters from year to year. BC did not have a rep this year but Bentley and SEPT have been regulars, and Rosetown and Lloydminster have been frequent reps as well. There are really only 2 leagues, the Chinook in Alberta and the one in Ontario. Otherwise the teams are put together for the Allan Cup playdowns.

This year's teams were:
Grand Falls-Windsor*
Cornerbrook*
Clarenville Caribous
Lameque*
Kenora Thistles
Dundas Real McCoys
Brantford Blast
Whitby Dunlops
Stoney Creek Generals
Norwood Vipers
Welland Whalers - withdrew