Prospect Info: 2014-15 General Prospect Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
i thought bertschy waived goodbye just like gunnarson?

I feel like I remember reading that there isn't a formal transfer agreement with the NLA so Swiss players(like KHLers) rights are held indefinetly.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Am I the only one that thinks Haula should probably be graduated from this list? 60 NHL games, and zero chance he isn't in the NHL next year.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I'm also looking forward to seeing what Iowa does this year. There will be more experience in the group with the speed of the AHL game too, and adding a player like Dumba should definitely be a shot in the arm. I'd say Brady Brassert is another player to watch for during the season. He's got a prime chance to provide production from the center position and I really hope he takes advantage of it.

I feel like I remember reading that there isn't a formal transfer agreement with the NLA so Swiss players(like KHLers) rights are held indefinetly.

Yep, Russo reported this around the time the rights for Gunnarsson were set to expire.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Per the HF Prospect Guidelines, games played by 24th birthday are the key. 65 for skaters and 45 for goalies. They don't distinguish between playoff and regular games.

Haula = 46 regular + 13 playoff = 59 games
Kuemper = 32 regular + 8 playoff = 40 games
Zucker = 41 regular + 5 playoff = 46 games

Technically, all three are still prospects.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Is it me or does the Baby Wild look terrible as far as forward depth goes? I mean Zucker is our top line winger and uh Bussieres? Bulmer?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Is it me or does the Baby Wild look terrible as far as forward depth goes? I mean Zucker is our top line winger and uh Bussieres? Bulmer?

Keranen helps, plus we don't really know what the overagers (Brassart and Mitchell) are going to bring.

Zucker - Phillips - Keranen
Bussieries - Brassart - Mitchell
Whoever - Graovac - Bulmer

Not great, but I don't expect them to be a doormat again this year.

tomthestone*

Since the front office has been very forward about needing to revamp the entire Iowa roster, it's not just you. As far as how big of a deal it is to have few elite prospects on the minor league team, you seem to be in a class by yourself. Most others realize the big club isn't going to need help from the AHL roster for at least a few years.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

It looks like a question mark. I certainly wouldn't say terrible.

Phillips, Bulmer, Brussiers, Graovac are all still young and developing. Any of them could easily take a jump.

Brassart and Mitchell are coming in with track records of scoring in the CHL.

Keränen was PPG in SM-Liiga, which is a tougher league then the AHL. He should be PPG or near PPG if he plays in the AHL.

Fletch brought in some good young pieces to improve the squad, only time will tell if it does.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market

Phillips, Bulmer, Brussiers, Graovac are all still young and developing. Any of them could easily take a jump.

Keränen was PPG in SM-Liiga, which is a tougher league then the AHL. He should be PPG or near PPG if he plays in the AHL.

Fletch brought in some good young pieces to improve the squad, only time will tell if it does.

Not terrible? They finished last, by a wide margin, in goals scored last year. Adding some bruisers isn't going to help (other than Keranen).

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Since the front office has been very forward about needing to revamp the entire Iowa roster, it's not just you. As far as how big of a deal it is to have few elite prospects on the minor league team, you seem to be in a class by yourself. Most others realize the big club isn't going to need help from the AHL roster for at least a few years.

I think part of the reason is the number of college vs junior prospects the Wild have. The Wild have a much larger number of college prospects and since the team holds their rights for 4 years (2 years for junior), it generally takes longer for the college kids to make the jump. Plus when you factor in the large graduation of prospects like Granlund, Coyle, Nino, Brodin, et al, it's no surprise that the Baby Wild are going to struggle until the next influx of prospects arrive.

tomthestone*

And Kurtis Gabriel sounds like he might have the right stuff to become a great asset real soon. Not too many kids come up looking to score a "Gordie Howe Hat Trick" anymore these days, but he loves to play that kind of game.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Not terrible? They finished last, by a wide margin, in goals scored last year. Adding some bruisers isn't going to help (other than Keranen).

Those bruisers were multiple time 30 goal scorers in the CHL. Id wager on them becoming on close to 20 goal guys in the AHL.

They will still likely be decidely below average goal scoring team, but I think they be closer to 20 than 30 if the Big team can stay healthy and keep some talent down there.

Not terrible doesn't necassarly mean good.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Those bruisers were multiple time 30 goal scorers in the CHL. Id wager on them becoming on close to 20 goal guys in the AHL.

They will still likely be decidely below average goal scoring team, but I think they be closer to 20 than 30 if the Big team can stay healthy and keep some talent down there.

Not terrible doesn't necassarly mean good.

As overagers. And considering not one of those AHLers scored more than 13, 20 would be an eye-popping number.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Iowa will be much different this year. Dumba, Olofsson, Gelinas, Brassart, Mitchell, Keranen.

I thought that the idea with Keranen was NHL or Finland? AHL wasn't an option?

At least, that's what was said when he signed. I don't know if things have changed.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010

At least, that's what was said when he signed. I don't know if things have changed.

HIFK said so at first, but GMCF said Keränen will play in NA this season, I think.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

What about injuries? If Granlund and Koivu go down? If Pom's and Parise go down?

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOBvDa8ZQe0

Just remembered this fight. Its awesome for those who haven't seen it :laugh:

Good job but this is is messing with Zucker.

He is trying to do too much. Much like Granny last year, his AHL year. Yeo IMO is not a good coach and telling people what he wants. He has an idea and hopes you pick it up. I hope he is getting better.

Zucks you have to play better D, play physical, get back, don't just dump it in, don't get caught too deep, use your speed to create, be noticable, dont hurt the team. Do it in 20-30 second shifts while playing 11 minutes a game. If not for injuries Haula would not have been on the wild for the playoffs.

Ever have a a boss give you 3 hours of work with 2 hours left and say get it done but no OT! Either you work a miracle or you get a talking to the next day. Zucker is not a miracle.

Zucker has not found his game and he is being told what minor things to adjust to and is just not getting it.

I hope Zucker can bare down his game and play like Haula. 3rd liner with speed that can match other top lines and blow by 4th liners.

Jarick

Doing Nothing

Keranen will report to the AHL, but if he's not getting called up for the first few months, then he'll go back to Finland. Considering the inexperience in Iowa, if Keranen is any good at hockey and if the Wild get hit with injuries, he should be one of the first names. I also wouldn't be surprised if he gets a longer camp than he might deserve as well as a preseason game.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
You mean like last year? We seemed to get through it alright.

Except we called up Haula and had Heatley - My fear is that they are going to turn Coyle into a lesser version of Koivu and not develop him offensively. That they are going to move him permanently to center to focus on defense and not give him time to develop offensively because they want him to be defensively responsible. I hope they prove me wrong but Coyle should be a 25-30 goal scorer in his prime and that is only going to come if we are patient and let him develop and make sure he doesn't focus so damn much on dropping back and becoming a third defenseman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad