Olympics: 2014 — U.S. Roster Discussion (Part VIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
NHL Network is stupid. They spend so much time pumping Canada's tires that they downplay USA blowing out the Slovaks. Dan Rosen was saying yes they won by six but they weren't really that good

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
NHL Network is stupid. They spend so much time pumping Canada's tires that they downplay USA blowing out the Slovaks. Dan Rosen was saying yes they won by six but they weren't really that good

We will always be seen as the underdogs, better to just accept it.

Teemu Salami

Empty Ketchup Bottle
May 9, 2013
Orange County, CA

The team got some praise from the NBC guys though. I don't really care what NHL network says. I thought they played great today and I don't really see how you can downplay them.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
To Ranger Fans: It's almost a shame that Kirk and McD aren't on the same team all the time, because I really think Ryan is the perfect fit to be paired with Kirk. Just wanted to say your guy is my pick for breakout star of this tournament.

To Blackhawk fans: So.... your team really should NOT knock the tires of acquiring Ryan Kesler. Do the opposite of that. Please.

To Avalanche fans: You guys really need to lock up Paul before the off-season imo. If he hits free agency, be warned I'd be stunned if my Blues don't put a big offer up. The idea of him centering Oshie all the time has my heart all a flutter.

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
Thought the two extra players were used reasonably well, though I'd have probably made some different choices when working Wheeler in. I'd like to see Parise-Backes-Wheeler get some shifts, for example. All in all though the lines showed good-to-great chemistry and the defensive pairings did well together.
I agree Wheeler is good defensively and brings more on offense than Cally. He's super fast too and is a huge body at 6'5

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
I'd switch Wheeler and Callahan and use Callahan mostly for penalty killing and a spot shift. I hope Stepan gets to play against Slovenia.

KittysGotClaws

We See Red
Dec 17, 2008
N of BB&T
Very impressed and excited. Team looked very good and dominated when they put the foot on the gas. I love every D-pairing. Suter and Martin is steady (Suter probably could have played better but it's early), McDonagh is perfect to unleash Shattenkirk's offensive instincts, Carlson and Fowler are beastly in their own right, and even Orpik played solid today.

Don't know what they're going to do with the goalie situation. Quick was good but largely untested. Either way, I'd probably split it up between Russia and Slovenia. Might go with Miller for the big one, honestly.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
If Quick is "their guy," then he starts against Russia. If he shows any weaknesses that game, then it should be Miller until he starts faltering.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Speaking as a Rangers fan, both Wheeler and Stepan should be in the lineup ahead of Callahan. Although Callahan wasn't awful, Wheeler should certainly be on the wing with Parise/Backes.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm so excited for the Russia game. That should be a real test for us. But my expectation is our forwards will abuse that thin blueline. As long as whoever is in net can hold off Russia's big guns I expect a win.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Best way to stop Ovechkin is to make his line play defense. With their weak defensive corps and the US's skilled possession players, we should be able to neutralize him for the most part by just grinding away in their zone like we did vs Slovakia.

All it takes is one **** up and it's in your net though.

Sounds weird talking about facing Ovechkin. :laugh:

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I'd expect Orpik to get a lot more ice time against Russia. When the Pens play WSH, Bylsma always puts him out against Ovechkin, and he usually does a good job even strength against him. Problem is, that would now allow Malkin to skate circles around him.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
I'd expect Orpik to get a lot more ice time against Russia. When the Pens play WSH, Bylsma always puts him out against Ovechkin, and he usually does a good job even strength against him. Problem is, that would now allow Malkin to skate circles around him.

If we're going on solely facing Ovechkin, McDonagh is far more effective than Orpik. McDonagh infuriates the hell out of me when he faces him. :rant:

He'd have to play RD though, as Ovechkin is back on the LW.

Teemu Salami

Empty Ketchup Bottle
May 9, 2013
Orange County, CA
I'm interested to see how Slovakia does in the other 2 games of the group games. I think we just overwhelmed them but who knows they could just not be very good this time around.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
If we're going on solely facing Ovechkin, McDonagh is far more effective than Orpik. McDonagh infuriates the hell out of me when he faces him. :rant:

He'd have to play RD though, as Ovechkin is back on the LW.

Was just going to say, wonder who faces him. Suter due to being #1 on the depth chart, or McDonagh who has had a lot of success vs Ovechkin.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
I'm interested to see how Slovakia does in the other 2 games of the group games. I think we just overwhelmed them but who knows they could just not be very good this time around.

Their roster is far from impressive, but I don't think they are as bad as they looked today. I think they'll hang close with Russia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad