Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XVIII) (St. Louis in for Stamkos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Will Sharp really get #1 PP minutes on the point? Especially given all the talented QBs on the backend?

That's what has been reported, but it was also reported that the Canadian PK unit was causing alot of trouble for the PP in practice, so Babcock might change it very early on if he's not satisfied against real opponents.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
What evidence? Pierre LeBrun is not the voice of God, dude. Norway is not going to cause Canada trouble unless Canada wants trouble. Luongo shut them out 4 years ago 8-0. They're not a tougher team by any means. Playing Norway over Austria does not symbolize Price as Canada's starter, lol.

Why can't you just learn to live with the fact that Price is the guy team Canada wants to be the starter.

Kamal007

FEEL LIKE PABLO
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto
Will Sharp really get #1 PP minutes on the point? Especially given all the talented QBs on the backend?

It does seem like an odd move, taking the chance with a forward when the talent level is just insane on the backend. Maybe Babcock knows something about Sharp/Keith from his years of playing against them in the central?

How much do you guys think Canada wins by tomorrow? I'm thinking 6 but I'm not sure. The spread on bodog is -4.5.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Very happy indeed they only have to block Weber's. :help:

I don't understand what PK brings that Weber, Doughty and AP don't already bring as RH shots, big minutes and superior 200ft games. (The 'seniority' factor is a myth, as AP is Subban's age.)

It's the left side that needs a bit more depth, so that's why the extra should be a lefty. Keith can play 30mins a game, but he shouldn't have to.

I think the only way Subban draws in is if Weber looks outmatched speed-wise on the bigger ice, which might not be the case because of his enourmous reach, or if AP somehow falters here in the spotlight. Doubtful.

Despite all this, Norway and Austria are games in which Babcock will see what the extras have to offer.

edit: One major factor in Subban's likely scratching is fairly simple: He takes more penalties than any other Team Canada defenseman. In this tournament, penalties, or rather, not taking them, will be key. Only Doughty comes close, but I doubt Subban replaces him. We'll see.

A-Subban's skating skills and offensive game is better than all of the other right shot defenseman.

B-You can make the same argument about Hamhuis, what does he bring that Vlasic, Bouwmeester don't already bring?

TOML

Oct 4, 2006
Walnut Grove
That's what has been reported, but it was also reported that the Canadian PK unit was causing alot of trouble for the PP in practice, so Babcock might change it very early on if he's not satisfied against real opponents.
Maybe they're just seeing how well the PK can do against, for example, Russia's PP, which will likely feature a forward back there.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
A-Subban's skating skills and offensive game is better than all of the other right shot defenseman.

B-You can make the same argument about Hamhuis, what does he bring that Vlasic, Bouwmeester don't already bring?

Stop it, stop using logic.

Also, PK probably has the most experience on the big ice.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Subban should play the second game if he isn't dressed the first one. No matter what Babcock will be making changes.

TOML

Oct 4, 2006
Walnut Grove

A-Even if you want to make that case, it's been determined that he's not fast or skilled enough offensively to beat them out solid jobs. That's why he's not currently 100% in. The competition on the right side was far stiffer. Which leads to answering...

B-Hamhuis and Vlasic will split 3rd pairing/pk time so that Keith doesn't have to play too much, too early and that J-Bo doesn't get exposed/hammered. Looking at who came, it is obvious there is more of a need to bring an extra lefty than a righty. Add in PK's unsteady play and penalty-taking, and it's an open and shut case, imho. But things could happen to change the situation.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
A little surprised that Keith is on the 1st PP unit. A large majority of Chicago fans prefer Nick Leddy over Keith quarterbacking the #1 PP.

Surprised you guys don't have Weber, Pietrangelo, Subban, etc on that first unit.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
What evidence? Pierre LeBrun is not the voice of God, dude. Norway is not going to cause Canada trouble unless Canada wants trouble. Luongo shut them out 4 years ago 8-0. They're not a tougher team by any means. Playing Norway over Austria does not symbolize Price as Canada's starter, lol.

Exactly until the words actually come out of Babcocks mouth who he's going with I'd wait to jump to conclusions.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
I'm hoping Carter is the 14th F and Duchene gets into the lineup. Carter shoots way much and I don't think he can play the cycle game that Kunitz and Crosby do.

You do know that L.A. plays a forechecking cycle game right? Learn about what systems teams play before making such silly statements.

DyerMaker66*

It will be easy if people stop trying to make it a vs.

eg:

Not the sequence I was talking about....

Because it demonstrates exactly why it's Luongo's fault, no doubt.

This was tweeted yesterday:

Though I'm sure this is an "excuse" & nothing more. :rolleyes:

So other goalies can adapt to the different rules and Luongo couldn't? Cry me a river, you're playing under the same rules as everyone else.

Hey Weber clears the puck right up the middle at 1:59:18! Yet gets no flack from you. Hmm?

No I'm talking more about 1:59:29 when Neids & Weber are both just out the circle while 2 Americans are left alone inches in front of the blue paint.
That play doesn't happen if Luongo catches the puck because Team Canada makes a change. Again, you're putting the cart before the horse.

97178804_10.jpg

I guess Luongo didn't get credited for the Win... oh wait he did! ....by everyone in the World except for you. :laugh:

Yes, everyone in these 18 threads has been giving credit to Luongo for the win; that's why people are picking Price as their starter.

Be honest with me: You can't see how absolutely stupid it is to spend time on something that as you described "nearly happened" aka something that ultimately DID NOT HAPPEN!??!?
:shakehead You can't honestly be so stupid that you can't see how much of a detriment he was to the team. The game went to OT because of him, no matter who you want to try to shift the blame on to.

Can you not see how that is a waste of time? How it really only makes you come off as petty or have some weird grudge/obsession against Luongo?
Can you not see how much of a Luongo-loving homer this makes you look like? How this makes you come off as nothing more than a Canucks fanboi who has some sort of weird obsession with a "top 5 goalie" who some how lost his starting position, but what still in the top 5?

Because in the end of the day the record books still show Luongo as a Gold Medal Winning goalie & no matter how many hours you spend on this message board trying to rewrite history or discredit Luongo that will NEVER change. I'm in NO way saying he was the reason we won... cause he wasn't but you have been trying for YEARS to discredit him for a single play.
Yes, you are, because you're sitting here shouting "he won, you just hate the canucks and are a homer" over and over again. The single play is merely the best representation of the lack of objectivity that Canucks fans have on Luongo's play over the last 4 years and in that tournament.

Brodeur won that year too and yet are you going to argue how great he played? It would make about the same amount of sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlvintheChoster

Nov 23, 2010
VanCity
Let's watch this together:

Pavelski fires it from the point: There is NO ONE within the hashmarks on the Americans and Luongo boots the save.

1:59:17 and Luongo for some inexplicable reason drops the puck. That is in no way Neidermayer or Weber's fault.

No, he didn't. Crosby, Iginla, and Toews won it. Luongo did his best to change that.

Seriously, the amount of time people put into giving Luongo undeserved credit for nearly costing the game is mind boggling.

No one gives Luongo extensive credit for Canada's success in 2010. If no one criticised Luongo's play in 2010 such as you did, there would be no one praising Luongo's play. He was not their MVP, he did not hold them back. Canada won gold, and he was good enough to backstop them to gold, even if you think it was barely enough. It says a lot that you reach for individual (botched) saves to attempt to critique Luongo's overall performance.

I love how Luongo fans keep bringing up 2010 but completely dismiss Price's recent performances. Hard to take them seriously. Are we in 2014 or did I miss the time machine roll call? Also, to the poster that said that it's "clear as day" Luongo will get the start: Babcock himself probably doesn't even know yet, so credibility isn't a factor re: that post. If the coaching staff base their choice on 2010 (which I doubt), I'll be deeply disapointed. Also I can't wait until Subban gets a chance to show all the pseudo PK experts what he brings to the game.

edit to add: the main goal is still a gold medal, GO CANADA!

Oh by Luongo fans you mean Zanon? Generalization gets you no where. I've seen several Luongo fans assume/agree that Price is/should start. I'm a Canucks/Luongo fan myself, and while I want Luongo to start, I have no problem with Price starting due to his regular season play, and it seems like he is the go-to guy. Other people are simply defending Luongo's play in 2010.

DyerMaker66*

i've never, ever, had any confidence in luongo in any game that mattered. gold or not, he looked shaky as hell and was always fighting the puck.

Shhh: how can you be so stupid to talk about something that never happened? We won; ergo he didn't look shaky.

SquishtheBoudreau

Nov 7, 2013
Tannhäuser Gate
It does seem like an odd move, taking the chance with a forward when the talent level is just insane on the backend. Maybe Babcock knows something about Sharp/Keith from his years of playing against them in the central?

How much do you guys think Canada wins by tomorrow? I'm thinking 6 but I'm not sure. The spread on bodog is -4.5.

I got in early and got Canada at -3.5. All (or many) of the players on the team should be looking to prove their worth to the coaching staff, so I don't think there's going to be any letting up on the part of team Canada.

I also had Sweden -155 today. That line moved a lot too, I'm not sure what it ended up settling on. But if you get in early you can find some soft lines.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
No one gives Luongo extensive credit for Canada's success in 2010. If no one criticised Luongo's play in 2010 such as you did, there would be no one praising Luongo's play. He was not their MVP, he did not hold them back. Canada won gold, and he was good enough to backstop them to gold, even if you think it was barely enough. It says a lot that you reach for individual (botched) saves to attempt to critique Luongo's overall performance.

Oh by Luongo fans you mean Zanon? Generalization gets you no where. I've seen several Luongo fans assume/agree that Price is/should start. I'm a Canucks/Luongo fan myself, and while I want Luongo to start, I have no problem with Price starting due to his regular season play, and it seems like he is the go-to guy. Other people are simply defending Luongo's play in 2010.

First I'd like to compliment you for making such a level headed post.

I think why a lot of posters are criticizing Luongo's performance in 2010 is because that very performance is being used as the only advantage that Luongo has over Price right now.

It's not just Zanon who says stuff like "he got us there 4 years ago", or "5 straight wins", or "Price hasn't proven anything"...and frankly those comments are a load of garbage.

The answer is very clear to those with an objective view: The better goalie should start. We've had close to 60 NHL games to see who the better goalie is, and while Price hasn't been the better of the two for 100% of the season, he's been the better of the two for the majority of the season, including the most important part, the 2 weeks before the actual tournament.

The posters who want Luongo to start are unable to look past their own wishes to see whats best for the team.

Barring an epic meltdown, Price will be the starter for this tournament. It shouldn't even be a discussion.

I should add: In hindsight, it was the incorrect decision to start Brodeur in 2010. Fortunately his poor play was exposed in essentially a nothing game. What if he played OK against the states then played like that against Slovakia???

We can't afford to make that same incorrect decision again. Every game counts.

MotorMaster

Jan 7, 2009
Earth/cybertron/Char
Team Canada should be able to carry any average goaltender to the gold.

Actually I think our goaltending is what is going to cost us a gold medal. I've got this strange feeling team USA will win gold this Olympics....It will be their goaltending what will steal it for them.

Mark my words!

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
First I'd like to compliment you for making such a level headed post.

I think why a lot of posters are criticizing Luongo's performance in 2010 is because that very performance is being used as the only advantage that Luongo has over Price right now.

It's not just Zanon who says stuff like "he got us there 4 years ago", or "5 straight wins", or "Price hasn't proven anything"...and frankly those comments are a load of garbage.

The answer is very clear to those with an objective view: The better goalie should start. We've had close to 60 NHL games to see who the better goalie is, and while Price hasn't been the better of the two for 100% of the season, he's been the better of the two for the majority of the season, including the most important part, the 2 weeks before the actual tournament.

The posters who want Luongo to start are unable to look past their own wishes to see whats best for the team.

Barring an epic meltdown, Price will be the starter for this tournament. It shouldn't even be a discussion.

I should add: In hindsight, it was the incorrect decision to start Brodeur in 2010. Fortunately his poor play was exposed in essentially a nothing game. What if he played OK against the states then played like that against Slovakia???

We can't afford to make that same incorrect decision again. Every game counts.

Why wouldn't it be a discussion? It's been a discussion since the offseason, even for management and the coaches. It's only becoming more clear now that Price may be the man, but if it was so clear cut there wouldn't have been a discussion at all.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Yea... I think Price should be the starter because it seems to me personally that he is playing better at the moment which is really what should matter.

HOWEVER, people saying on either side of the debate that it's so obvious, there should be no discussion, that they know for sure that based on this guy starting this game and so and so starting another that one is gonna be the starter, etc. etc. is crap. No one on these boards knows this and it could go either way. Continue to debate your opinions all you like, but to act like anyone's is more valid or correct than another's is delusional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad