Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XV) (Released, Post 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Battle Hymns

Sep 6, 2013
Canada needs goal scorers and that is why they took Carter over Giroux. Darryl Sutter has turned Carter into an extremely good 2-way forward who is responsible in all three zones and his speed paired with his quick release will be a huge asset on the bigger ice surface. Carter is a natural goal scorer and knows how to win.

Team Canada's highest goal scorers since start of 2013:
Tavares - 48
Kunitz - 45
Stamkos - 43
Carter - 41
Crosby - 38
Perry - 38

not to mention he has 55% FO winning percentage. Carter is one of the most versatile forwards they have.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Although I disagree with some decisions, the good thing is that no matter how badly you screw up, you're still going to end up with a great team :yo:

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Hamuis, Bouwmeester and Vlassic over Yandle and Phaneuf is insane. Plus Nash over well anyone is nuts!!!!

Shoulda known Team Canada boys club. they pick their friends over the bpa. then leave off St Louis for whatever reason. However I fully expect some sort of "injury" and St Louis to be on the team

Yandle is american, and he didn't make team USA either.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Not sure why the hate for Carter. Guy has an amazing shot and can score many goals off the rush. I hope Canada uses Benn-Getzlaf-Perry together...would be a ridiculous line.
Great skater (large surface), can play center and wing, good defensively. Dont get it either.

St.Louis is better though.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Hamuis, Bouwmeester and Vlassic over Yandle and Phaneuf is insane. Plus Nash over well anyone is nuts!!!!

Shoulda known Team Canada boys club. they pick their friends over the bpa. then leave off St Louis for whatever reason. However I fully expect some sort of "injury" and St Louis to be on the team

Phaneuf on the big ice would certainly be interesting!
I'm not sure that my ticker could take it though.

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.

Yup, team canada won't medal! Fire Yzerman! Trade Babcock! Sell Crosby to Russia! :sarcasm:

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007

Yandle is American

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
It pisses me off to no end that St. Louis didn't make it. How in the world can you justify it? He is 4th in scoring since the beginning of the 05/06 season - after only Ovechkin, Thornton and Crosby - and is still one of the best offensive players in the league. His speed and shiftiness would be a huge asset on the big international ice.

Seriously, what gives?

Jul 7, 2009

Yandle is American. People need to stop complaining. I am sure they know more then some posters on HF

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

:help:

If there's an injury replacement it will probably be Giroux.

Sheik Yerbouti

Sep 12, 2008
Having trouble understanding how
Gp G A Pts
Jeff Carter 33 15 11 26
Rick Nash 27 9 9 18

Make the Team over
Gp G A Pts
Marty St. Louis 42 17 21 38
Taylor Hall 38 16 25 41

I guess Carter's PPG isn't that bad and his goals per game average are better but Nash???? Really! Marty St. Louis would have played his heart out for team Canada. Really the love affair over guys that are big is annoying, being big doesn't put the puck in the net.

crunchyblack*

Lol @ the guy above who said he would prefer Phaneuf over Vlasic. Try watching Vlasic play.

I'm happy with the Canadian team, I would not have picked any D-men differently. I may have taken Seabrook over Hamhuis (regardless of which side they shoot), but I'm not too concerned.

My biggest gripe is that Couture didn't make the team. Sure he is injured now, but according to Couture he was told he wouldn't have made it regardless which is completely absurd.

Carter was a bit shocking at first but I'm warming up to that choice now. Fast sniper who is pretty versatile.

Nash is Nash... Always shows up in international games and with his track record you can't leave him off regardless of his NHL play, plus Getz is on record saying he has good chemistry with Nash which is a plus.

Taking Kunitz was a good idea. Crosby takes a while to get used to new wingers and in this tourney we certainly don't have that luxury. Also, Kunitz has played (and won a cup) playing on a line with Getz and Perry, so worst case scenario he can play with them too. I see no negative taking him.

Joe Thornton... I'm one of his biggest fans, but this team is built around speed and Thornton's claim to fame is slowing down the game. Just doesn't make sense for this tourney.

Marleau... I know a lot of people are down on this pick, but just watch him play. He's fast as hell, is an AMAZING PKer, plays the PP and is a goal scorer. He's also had a great start to the season. Can't think of a reason you wouldn't want this guy on your team.

Over all I'd give Hockey Canada an A picking the team this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Well Canada decided to leave out 3/7 of their top 5x5/60EVS scorers (Thornton, Hall, Seguin). Decided to leave out both of their top 2 PPG LW's (Neal, Hall). Decided to leave out their third highest PPG D-Man (Giordano, a LD who is definitely more complete than Hamhuis). Etc. Etc.

Giroux should have been on this team he has elite level offensive skill. Nash has had a terrible year and has never ( Try ALWAYS ) been hugely effective on TC. If the reasoning for bringing Marleau is accurate, Hall is superior in the same facets of the game.

Again Nash was an integral part of our BEST LINE in 2010. He has Always, ALWAYS been stellar in a Team Canada Uni. Moreover, he's a proven performer on BIG ICE

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
What's your concern about the team, my friend?

Sure does look good on paper. :)

It was tongue in cheek in keeping with your earlier post.
I really like the selections.
The only player that I would have added was MSL. I just love his compete and the way he would play on the big ice.
All in all though it's a great team and has a great shot at gold!

1967th Heaven

Aug 31, 2012
It pisses me off to no end that St. Louis didn't make it. How in the world can you justify it? He is 4th in scoring since the beginning of the 05/06 season - after only Ovechkin, Thornton and Crosby - and is still one of the best offensive players in the league. His speed and shiftiness would be a huge asset on the big international ice.

Seriously, what gives?

This. Like seriously what does the guy have to do? He's the current holder of the Art Ross Trophy and is carrying Tampa on his back right now

Sheik Yerbouti

Sep 12, 2008
Again Nash was an integral part of our BEST LINE in 2010. He has Always, ALWAYS been stellar in a Team Canada Uni. Moreover, he's a proven performer on BIG ICE

It's too bad we don't get even get to see how steller MSL could be a team Canada jersey. While I do agree that Nash was a beast in 2010, this is 2014 and MSL deserves a chance to win a gold medal with Canada.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

It was tongue in cheek in keeping with your earlier post.
I really like the selections.
The only player that I would have added was MSL. I just love his compete and the way he would play on the big ice.
All in all though it's a great team and has a great shot at gold!

I agree, 100%.

drewstar

Jan 1, 2010
6ix
A lot of posters should actually take some time and read various breakdowns of why MSL and Giroux didn't make it.

TC wanted natural goal scorers on the wings moreso than playmakers so to speak. MSL and Giroux are both better set-up men than finishers believe it or not.

My only omission is Neal but otherwise, GO CANADA GO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad