Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XV) (Released, Post 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I'd put my life savings on this lineup winning Canada the gold

Kunitz - Crosby - Stamkos
Tavares - Toews - Sharp
Nash - Getzlaf - Perry
Benn - Bergeron - Duchene

Keith - Weber
Pietrangelo - Bouwmeester
Doughty - Subban

Price
Luongo

Carter, Marleau, Vlasic, Hamhuis

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
St. Louis was left off because is not a large, sniping winger. TC needed more of the tall, shooting variety to go with their 5 playmaking centers.
Same goes for Giroux I spose/

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Indeed. All the people saying that Giroux or Couture or St Louis should have made it ahead of Nash are missing the point.

In reality, the Nash selection should be questioned because Eric Staal would have brought almost exactly the same qualities as Nash while being more consistent over his career offensively and putting up better numbers at the moment in the NHL. He would also have been a centre who could shift to the wing, a quality Babcock likes (note that there's 10 players who are primarily centres: Nash, Perry, Benn and Kunitz are the only full-time wingers).

We dont need more centers who can play wing. Eric accomplished next to nothing in 2010, simply put Nash, a natural winger. who can snipe was better, plus he's just as good on either wing, plus he showed good chemistry with Toews, plus he's good on Big Ice...yadda, yadda. If it was a choice btwn Staal and Nash, ( which I seriously doubt ) then TC's braintrust certainly made the RIGHT Choice!

drewstar

Jan 1, 2010
6ix
I think MSL didnt make it since the players who played poorly in Turin (except for Nash who was only 21 then) were essentialy blacklisted for future teams for Canada. There is no other plausible explanation to how he missed not only here, but the Vancouver team too, but this time even more.

MSL and Giroux are playmakers first and TC chose to take scoring wingers first who also are reliable defensively.

I personally would have chosen Neal over Benn but otherwise probably would have taken the same lineup.

I get why those who'd rather have Hall over Kunitz but Kunitz is a 'portable' player who doesnt need the puck a lot, and for Hall if he was going to be playing with Crosby or another playmaking center in Tavares/Getzlaf, TC probably viewed him as not being as good a contributor in other aspects of the game.

That's your answer guys.

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
Ok... but he's not on the team unless an injury happens.

Well let's hope for one than shall we...hate to say that but I'm miffed they took guys like Kuntz, Nash and Carter? over a great 2way player like Giroux. Not happy that Marty got passed on again, he's not getting any younger.
Stammer might not make Sochi, the rosters can be changed up to Feb12th as well.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Since the beginning of the 2012 season only seven players have averaged a point a game.

Crosby: 1.53 (514 career games)
Stamkos: 1.20 (390 career games)
Giroux: 1.07 (375 career games)
Neal: 1.05 (378 career games)
St. Louis: 1.03 (1,021 career games)
Tavares: 1.01 (334 career games)
Hall: 1.00 (209 career games)

Given that Stamkos may be injured and thus may not play, we will have brought 2 of our top 7 scorers.

Why would you discount Stamkos as one of the PPG, and therefore reduce the number to 2... but then include him in the list of everyone, the 7? It's either 3 of 7 or 2 of 6.

What?

drewstar

Jan 1, 2010
6ix
St. Louis was left off because is not a large, sniping winger. TC needed more of the tall, shooting variety to go with their 5 playmaking centers.
Same goes for Giroux I spose/

Pretty much. The only pure sniper I would have included is Neal but TC probably left him off as Stamkos will be on the RW with Crosby instead of Neal.

That's why you see playmakers being left off left and right otherwise..

Giroux
St. Louis
Hall
Thornton
Seguin

This will happen when you have Crosby, Tavares, Toews, Getzlaf as your playmaking centers.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
There was absolutely no mistake in taking Carter. He's a big, fast goalscorer with a great release that will have even more room to skate in Sochi.

He's also defensively responsible and should be on the PK.

Alan

Jan 5, 2014
Funny how one of the biggest firestorm debates prior to TC being named was whether Subban should be on the squad, but since he was named...crickets.

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013
Well let's hope for one than shall we...hate to say that but I'm miffed they took guys like Kuntz, Nash and Carter? over a great 2way player like Giroux. Not happy that Marty got passed on again, he's not getting any younger.
Stammer might not make Sochi, the rosters can be changed up to Feb12th as well.

Very true, but hoping for an injury just so Giroux can make the roster?

Also, Carter is a great 2-way player as well and I don't see your reasoning for MSL. The fact that he's older is reason that I'd say this was worse that he was left of. He won't get a chance (most likely). Giroux will (most likely).

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Can we have more homers with quivering lower lips talk about Hall and Seabrook being snubbed

crunchyblack*

Tavares - Toews - Sharp
Nash - Getzlaf - Perry

Keith - Weber
Doughty - Subban

Price
Luongo

I think you need Vlasic with doughty. If that's the case doughty can be a huge factor offensively and vlasic can be the wall defensively if doughty makes a bad pinch etc. I could see subban being used in certain situations like the PP.

Marleau's PKing and speed will definitely be needed, so in your scenario, Marleau would be on the bench rather than in a suit in the press box.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
It's easy to see who's tucked in bed by 7:30 PM Pacific Standard Time - all the people bashing Jeff Carter. You're lucky to have him, Team Canada.

Also, Jamie Benn is a beast, seriously. Be thankful he's your beast, Canada.

The difference between Canada's D-core and the U.S.'s D-core is night and day - I'm jealous.

hateseed

TentacleGrapeSoda
Aug 3, 2011
Coastal California
Definitely playing with fire, but can someone provide a cogent reason why Brent Burns wasn't in consideration, especially since Nash made the team?

If you are looking for size, skating ability, creativity, a huge shot and an all around devastating player - clearly Burns is the way to go.

He's been a completely unstoppable force since the conversion to forward.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Overall, I think this is about as good a team as could be reasonably be chosen and substituting players who were snubbed for players who were chosen 21-25 won't materially affect the chances of a medal. I'm a little surprised by the absence of Giroux but he hasn't been lighting it up this year. (Though neither has Nash.)

Torino 2006 was a problem because the team had a shortage of pure scorers. It had solid offensive players but, as became apparent in the tournament, they were first and foremost set up men or corner diggers rather than snipers who could bury the puck at key moments. At least this Team Canada will have some top goal scorers, especially if Stamkos is healthy. It will be interesting to see if the forwards as a group are fast enough on the big ice. There are some very good skating blueliners.

I think some posters are underestimating how solid Hamhuis and Vlasic are.

If this were an 82 game season followed by four best of seven playoff series, I would be very confident that Team Canada would win the Cup. But it isn't. It's a short series with one game elimination in the medal round. A hot goalie, lucky bounces, penalties, or a simple failure to come together as a team quickly enough can change the results drastically. Any of the top teams have goalies good enough to get hot and steal a game or even the tournament.

Speaking of goalies, I presume Luongo will start. It is slightly discouraging to remember that over the last year, every team in the NHL turned down the opportunity to get Luongo. I know, I know, it wasn't really about his game. "The contract sucks," to quote strombone on Twitter. But still, nobody went for him. Luongo has been better this year than last, probably because of the absence of all that trade speculation and uncertainty. I hope he, or Price if he starts, is the goalie who gets hot at the right time. It's been a long time since a Team Canada has had the best goalie in a tournament.

I think that, as a matter of long term strategy, I would have taken a younger goalie as the third goalie, rather than Smith. I would want to expose a player who might be chosen in 2018 and 2022 (and neither Smith nor Luongo will be) to the Olympic experience.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014

Tavares - Toews - Sharp
Nash - Getzlaf - Perry

I think Nash will wind up with Toews again, though nothing's written in stone, and its far from certain Stamkos will be ready

Alan

Jan 5, 2014

Tavares - Toews - Sharp
Nash - Getzlaf - Perry

Keith - Weber
Doughty - Subban

Price
Luongo

Love this lineup. The only change I would make would be to have Marleau in place of Benn. Carter could move in for Duchene if they want an all-shutdown line, although Duchene is not exactly chopped liver defensively either ;)
in place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad