Prospect Info: 2013 Subway Super Series

jetkarma*

This game he appeared to obviously be a pass first PP QB from what I saw. He didn't shoot a lot and seemed to be a bit reluctant to let it go from a distance and didn't penetrate as a first option.

Would you say this would be a fair assessment?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I thought all our prospects were fairly impressive as for the other prospects in the game:

I found Damon Severson to be really underwhelming in this series, which is strange as I've been a fan of his for years and anytime I've seen Kelowna he always looks quite good.

Griffin Reinhart impressed me a lot more than in my previous viewings. Same can be said about Pouliot, he made some very good reads.

Yea Severson was not good....neither was Bowie (got caught on the 1st breakaway goal)..... The worst was probably Heatherington though....I really like him as a prospect but he could not handle the speed of the Russians at all. He got bet clean 3 times for high quality chances.

Pulock looked really solid tonight and so did Morrissey (both nights) especially in their own end and in transition.

I agree G Reinhart was very good last night and Pouliot was the leader of the PP and has a nice offensive game but he let a guy walk around him on the 2nd goal and is not great (but not terrible) in his own zone.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
This game he appeared to obviously be a pass first PP QB from what I saw. He didn't shoot a lot and seemed to be a bit reluctant to let it go from a distance and didn't penetrate as a first option.

Would you say this would be a fair assessment?

Ya. He plays distributer role. I think he has 2 powerplay goals only. Usually he goes between Puoliot and Leispic for pass options and the have Bjorkstrand as a back door. Leier then plays the dirty man infront of the net role.

I found that power play unit hilarious because it was 4 out of 5 of the Winterhawks actual PP unit.

jetkarma*

Ya. He plays distributer role. I think he has 2 powerplay goals only. Usually he goes between Puoliot and Leispic for pass options and the have Bjorkstrand as a back door. Leier then plays the dirty man infront of the net role.

I found that power play unit hilarious because it was 4 out of 5 of the Winterhawks actual PP unit.

Noticed the 4 out of 5 as well. Will have to monitor the scoring a bit closer because of that. I mean at the club level that unit SHOULD be scoring , it is of course but that is a sold group.

Not sure if at the next level he plays the point as he did/does now , think he will be more effective down low . Will watch more and see if my impression changes , wondering if Sutter will use him this way if he makes the team. He got an awful lot of PP time and had long shifts there too.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
They interviewed Morrissey between the 1st and 2nd period. He came across as a very likeable guy and he seems to be quite comfortable in the spotlight. Pro level media relations already.They mentioned he was the WHL scholastic player of the year. I am glad he's Jets property and hope we get the chance to see him play for Canada at the WJHC.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Small sample size warniing on my post.......BUT here goes:

Petan is a really good player and might have a roll on the team but there is allot of talent and only so many small skill guy positions available. This might come down to what type of team Sutter constructs but I assume he will want to get back to playing Canadaian Junior hockey as in more size and grit to balance the skill.

Comrie will be in a dog fight between 5 guys for 3 spots but I wouldn't bet against him.

when it comes to Morrissey I am probably too close to this to be objective but Josh played two games against the Russians and was never on the ice for a goal against. He had two different D partners and they both seemed like like they were the best D men on the ice the night they played with him (Pulock and Reinhart). All the other young D men had there ups and downs but Morrissey made two or three minor mistakes over 2 games. He reminds me of a bigger stronger Enstrom with an edge. With his high IQ and skill set once the puck touches his stick he gets the play going the other way instantly. He also makes nice reads jumping into the play and in the O zone he is dangerous while remaining responsible (picks his spots).

Given the fact he wore a letter on his chest and was in the top pairing both nights I believe he will be on team Canada. He is just away to skilled, safe, smart, and reliable for a coach to not pick him to play anywhere let alone on a big ice surface.

Dumba and Reilly could end up being sent to team Canada and there may be pressures that push Josh out but right now its looking good (I would take him over Dumba for sure but that's just me).

Last point watching the subway series and seeing other 2013 drafted D men struggle that were taken above him like Nurse, Morin, and Bowie, Heatherington who were drafted after him it makes me think we have got ourselves a heck of a pick in Morrissey at number 13.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad