2013 Sens Board Mock Draft - 3 ROUND DRAFT DONE

Emery

Jul 18, 2011
Ottawa
:coyotes

The Phoenix Coyotes select defenceman Linus Arnesson.

Phoenix Coyotes 2013 Draft
12th overall: Kerby Rychel, LW
42nd overall: Artturi Lehkonen, RW
62nd overall: Viktor Crus-Rydberg, C
73rd overall: Linus Arnesson, D​

dmarc

SENS!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2009
:jets

74th Overall

Run on goalies goes on, Winnipeg Jets select from Rimouski Oceanic G Philippe Desrosiers

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
:isles are proud to select with 75th overall pick, from USHL's fighting saint's...

Michael Downing!

We see Downing as a defender with good size who can rush the puck up ice with solid physical and offensive potential. We saw him a late 2nd round pick capable prospect, more than happy to have him where we did.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
The :pens snatch up F Connor Hurley out of Edina H.S. and on his way to Notre Dame.

Connor-Hurley.jpg

Midas0

Only the best Scouts
Dec 12, 2009
Peterborough, ON
The Detroit Red Wings select, from HPK in Finland, Juuse Saros.

Other than Mrazek, the Wings lack high end depth at the goaltending position. Saros could be a great goaltender one day, and he will help push the other prospects in the system. This kid has posted good numbers in his native league in Finland, and he played well in the U18 tournament.

juuse_saros_hpk.jpg

TheOriginalSilf*

:leafs

With the 81st overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, the Toronto Maple Leafs are proud to select Nick Baptiste from the Sudbury Wolves of the Ontario Hockey League!

Baptiste_AB30844.jpg

McKenzie: Dave Nonis and his staff just picked up one of the better skaters in this entire draft here with the 81st pick. Baptiste is coming off of a very promising season with the Sudbury Wolves, a team that the Leafs are quite familiar with as Josh Leivo had played there for nearly 3 full seasons and bench boss, Randy Carlyle, played his OHA days there in the 1970's. As stated previously, the Leafs needed to stock up on some big, scoring forwards and Baptiste fits the bill tremendously. A fantastic skater that possesses a quick release and great hands. Aside from his skating, Baptiste's most noticeable quality is the energy that he brings on the ice. The kid isn't afraid to throw around his 6'1, 200 pound frame and get dirty in the corners. Baptiste will return to play with the Wolves next season and might have a chance at cracking Team Canada's World Junior roster in December.

Toronto Maple Leafs - 2013 NHL Entry Draft
Round 1 (21st overall): Morgan Klimchuk (C)
Round 2 (51st overall): John Hayden (C)
Round 3 (81st overall): Nick Baptiste (RW)​

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
:wild force-select Andrei Mironov (D) Dynamo Moscow

18 year old dman played 40 games in the khl last season. Pretty damn impressive. Solid defensively, no offensive game to speak of. Was passed over in the draft last year.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
:habs

are proud to finish off our draft by selecting, C Matt Buckles from St. Michael's (OJHL)

68852_raw.jpg

Montreal Canadiens 2013 Draft
1st: 25th overall - RW, Anthony Mantha (Val d'Or, QMJHL)
2nd: 34th overall - D, Ian McCoshen (Waterloo, USHL)
2nd: 36th overall - RW, Michael McCarron (USNTDP, USHL)
2nd: 55th overall - D, Brett Pesce (U of New Hampshire, NCAA)
3rd: 71st overall - G, Eric Comrie (Tri-City, WHL)
3rd: 86th overall - C, Matt Buckles (St. Michael's, OJHL)​

dmarc

SENS!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2009
:jets

With the 90th selection Winnipeg selects

Remi Elie of the London Knights

2013 NHL Entry Draft

13th Overall- C/W Alex Wennberg
43rd Overall- LW Emile Poirier
59th Overall- LW Peter Cehlarik
60th Overall- C/RW Marko Dano
73rd Overall- G Philippe Desrosiers
90th Overall- LW Remi Elie

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
:stars draft recap

hf preview: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/92483/dallas-stars-2013-draft-preview/

needs: centers, goalie depth
draft tendencies: avoid qmjhl (sorry stars - i obviously completely ignored this. And not intentionally, i usually avoid the Q as well, but this truly is the year of the Q.)

Round 1:
10th overall: Darnell Nurse, a big well-rounded dman who can skate, distribute the puck, score, and has a ton of nastiness to his game. Projection: 1st pairing Dman. ETA: 2 years to NHL.
stats: 68gp, 12g, 29a, 41pts, 116pims, +15
Would have considered: Max Domi, a center out of london. Yes, he fits the stars needs to a T as an offensive center, but BPA won out here. Nurse is simply a better prospect IMO, and the stars would've been kicking themselves for letting him go.

30th overall: Frederik Gauthier, a huge centerman. Amazing defensive game. Some scouts question his offensive upside. I disagree - think he has 2nd line ability and possibly even 1st line. This was his rookie season in the Q after all. Projection: 2nd line C, selke candidate. ETA: 3 years to NHL
stats: 62gp, 22g, 38a, 60pts, 26pim, +22
would have considered: I almost picked lucas wallmark here, who has considerably more offensive flair but skating questions. I ended up getting him with the next pick anyways.

Round 2:
40th overall: Lucas Wallmark - a highly skilled swedish forward (C/RW). One of the youngest kids in the draft, and played on 3 different teams as well as significant international time. Should be with lulea all year next season so hopefully that will stabilize his development. Projection: boom/bust top six forward. ETA: 3-4 years to NHL
stats: 14gp, 5g, 11a, 16pts, 18pim, +5 (junior), 16gp, 5g, 5a, 10pts, 4pim, -6 (sel-2)
would have considered: Artturi Lekhonen, a highly skilled finnish winger.

54th overall: Jan Kostalek, an all-round czech defenseman playing for rimouski. Named to the Q-league's all-rookie team. Has a good frame but needs to bulk up to play against men. Projection: 2nd pairing 2-way dman. ETA: 3 years to NHL.
stats: 48gp, 5g, 13a, 18pts, 53pims, +17
Would have considered: Almost went goalie here, but figured dallas could pick someone up in the mid rounds instead. Hudson Fasching intrigued me, as a big skilled forward who was considered a surefire first rounder a few years ago but struggled moving away from home. He'll be back home in minnesota for the next few years playing college hockey though.

Round 3:
68th overall: Vincent Dunn. Skilled center, undersized, had a great first half, then got moved to wing in val-dor and struggled. Has a brad-marchand type edge to him, could turn out an effective agitator if his offensive game doenst translate in the NHL. He'll be in gatineau next season and likely the #1 center playing with emile poirier. Look for him to flourish. Projection: top-6 center. ETA: 4 years to NHL
stats: 53gp, 25g, 27a, 52pts, 98pim, +21
would have considered: oliver bjorkstrand, who is basically dunn on RW and in the WHL instead of the Q (and without dunn's edge).

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
:flames

6th overall: Sean Monahan- Picked him because he was the BPA and filled a long time need for Calgary.
22nd overall: Ryan Pulock- Picked him because he was considered the best offensive dman in the draft. Cant pass up that quality.
28th Overall: Nic Petan- Picked him purely because of offensive potential. Boom or bust. Size doesn't bother me, I draft based on offensive upside.
67th Overall: Jesse Lees- I picked him purely off of Mathletic's Draft Rankings, which is based on data.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
:avs RECAP

1. Seth Jones (D) Portland Winterhawks

I still think this is the better course but it's obviously not going to happen now unless the Avs declaration for Mac is just an elaborate subterfuge (which I doubt it is).

In any case, I thought the stars were lining up for Jones in Colorado all season long. The local angle was a plus but I still believe Jones is that rare convergence of BPA* and team need that is almost too good to be true. Then the Memorial Cup happened and everyone forgot how good Jones was in the haze of MacKinnon hat-tricks.

Really can't go wrong with either though...or Drouin...or Barkov. Whatever.

*I look at trends here and elsewhere and the pissing match over who is the true BPA in this years draft has to be one of the most contentious things among NHL fans. Far from a sure thing.

32. Marc-Olivier Roy (F) B-B Armada

Major reach according to convention but I really love what I hear about the guy. Fearless for a lanky fella (still growing), soft hands and great wheels. Could max out as a 2nd line winger if he continues his progress. Probably a couple years away from turning pro. Did not consider anyone else then I found out Hagg was still kicking around.

63. Zach Sanford (F) Boston College

I was one click away from picking Hudson Fasching but went instead for a similar type of player who maybe has more upside. I don't have much to add. Seems like a good hardworking kid, with size, that knows how to score. Going to a nice program. See where he ends up in 3-4 years.

:pens RECAP

77. Connor Hurley (F) US-HIGH

Was surprised he was still on the board as by all indications he's the major talent coming from the Minnesota High Schools and the youngest player in the draft. Had a busy year bouncing around from Edina, to the USHL, the USNTDP. Good brains, a playmaker, skates well, showed a competent two-way game, a leader. Plenty to like. Projects as a tweener after he's done playing for the Fighting Irish.

89. Marcus Högberg (G) Linkoping Jr.

There was a run on goalies early and I wanted one. So there.:p: Hogberg reportedly has great athleticism and a nice economical game for a 6'3 keeper. Caught some games with the big club and did well. Has promise. I passed on Jensen who's rated significantly higher but reminds me of Elliott.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
:edmonton

Edmonton Oilers 2013 entry draft:

1st round (7th overall: ) LW Valeri Nichushkin
The obvious choice, in my opinion. Edmonton is beyond frustrated that all the big centers are gone by the time its pick rolls around, but their consolation prize could turn into one of the best players in the draft. Nichushkin has a reputation for banging and crashing along the boards, digging the puck out and playing a hard north-south game. Edmonton severely lacks toughness beyond the fourth line, and adding a player like Nichushkin will help keep opposing defences honest. It helps, too, that the dude can daaaangle.

2nd round (37th overall: ) D Robert Hägg
Defence wasn't a high priority in the draft for Edmonton. Since Marincin, Klefbom and Musil are all developping fine, there's no immediate urge to replenish the pipeline. With Hagg falling so low, though, the Oilers jump on him without thinking twice. He's a safe pick who very seldom looks out of place, and is a rising entity in the draft. Scouts are still surprised he fell so low.

2nd round (56th overall: ) G Tristan Jarry
With their last pick in the first three rounds, Edmonton aimed to address another organizational weakness: goaltending. They don't have that top-end prospect, but hope to change that by drafting Jarry out of their own backyard. The athletic goalie will be getting the lion's share of the starts with the Oil Kings next season, and you can bet Edmonton will be keeping a very close eye on him so that they never have to hire Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers ever again.

Overall: This was a very solid draft for the Oilers. It would have been perfect if Lindholm, Monahan or Barkov had dropped to seventh, but given the circumstances this is something Edmonton fans would love to see come draft day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad