2013 Player Development Camp

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Day 3 Development Camp

- different setup today, they separated the players into two groups black shirts & white shirts & went to two different rinks within the Sensplex.

- it was all drills today & some were kind of interesting. One where there were two nets, no sticks, two on two trying to score on hockey nets with a soccer ball on skates, there was a lot of spillage as guys were falling all over themselves.

- here is some good news on a glum day, Jarrod Maidens was on the ice today with the other players participating in all the same drills as everybody else. And he did not look out of place at all. He has good size, is a good skater, handles the puck well & has a terrific shot. If he can stay healthy he could be a dark horse for this team.

- Mark Stone also joined everyone else after not working out with all the other players for the first two days. BTW he is huge, he doesn't look that fluid working on drills with all the stopping & starting. He kind of lumbers out there, his game is going to be in front of the net.

- Pageau is slowly becoming a very popular player in this town, there were plenty of Quebec license plates in the parking lot. I assume they could be building the new church soon & developing his new congregation, Praise Pageau. Pageau fisted a small kid as he was passing him in the hallway, the kid lit right up.

- because we were going back & forth from one rink to the other we missed a lot but I tried to watch some guys I didn't know a lot about today. I wonder why the goalies didn't have there names on the back of their jerseys today, they did yesterday?

- Quentin Shore - good size, is a good skater, handles the puck well & has a good shot.

- Tobias Lindberg - has good size, decent skater, good shot, still didn't stand out in any way to me but they were only running drills so who knows.

- Chris Leblanc - same as Lindberg, really didn't show much.

- this was a surprise, Robinson (6'5") Sdao (6'4"), Ceci (6'3") & Claesson (6') were standing right in front of me on the ice while I was standing right at the glass. Claesson looked to me to be exactly the same height as Ceci ... humm ... he either grew a few inches or maybe these measurements we see everywhere may not always be correct.

- Darren Kramer - seems to be a real character, he was the one guy that was joking around with the guys & having a good time.

- met Luke Richarson & Shawn Donovan at the rink, good guys, both were also surprised as to what happened today with Alfredsson like everybody else.

- Matt Puempel - still waiting to see something from this guy but again it was just drills. He did try to take me out with a hard slap shot that carried over the net, hit the glass, bounced up over the glass ... in mid-air mind you ... bounced off the wall behind me, hit the seat & roll down along the boards to the waiting hands of young guy with a big smile with his new puck.

Enjoy your weekend everyone.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
How does the scrimmage work tonight, is it a full 60 minutes?

Also, how early should I get there for a decent view of the action?

The only year I went getting a good view was not a problem. Things may have changed though, that was a while ago and I don't remember if it was a scrimmage for development camp or training camp.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
I for one am extremely excited to see if Maidens can rebound from his injuries... if he can, we're going to have a helluva player on our hands.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Best thing about this thread is no one really was ever amazed at Noesen. Nice to think we maybe replaced him as a prospect from withing with later picks.

And that first Anaheim is getting will basically be a second rd pick after we win the cup so whatever. ;)

Jhero

Jun 29, 2007
Looks like it will be live streamed tonight

“@NHL_Sens: Can't make it to tonight's #SensDevCamp scrimmage? We'll pass along the live stream link later today.”

Berserker*

Lazar has really stood out in all of the battle drills. He protects the puck well and even if he loses the puck, he is able to battle for inside position to regain it. He is also very strong along the boards and in the corners. He also has an absolute rocket of a shot; it is impressive to see how hard he can shoot at only 18 years old.

IMO Sdao has been by far the best d man defensively. He really excels at breaking out passes and stealing pucks upon zone entry.

Ceci and Wideman have been the best d men offensively, with an honorable mention to Rutkowski. All three skate well, handle the puck well, pass well and have good shots.

Stone practised with the team for the first time yesterday and he was very impressive. Both Stone and Zibanejad were just killing it in the shooting drills.

Speaking of Zibanejad, he has easily been the best player is this camp. The guy has all the makings to be an elite player.

Conacher and Pageau have also been very impressive. Although, I was pretty shocked to see just how tiny Conacher is. He will need to get stronger to be more effective at the NHL level.

The best dark horse of the camp has got to be Buddy Robinson. It looks like the Murray's have found a real gem in this one. At 6'5 and 225 lbs he looks huge out there and at 21 years old, he probably hasn't finished growing. For a player that size, what really stands out is his speed, it is pretty rare to find a big player that can really skate. Aside from that, he actually has a decent set of hands and has a pretty accurate shot. He is certainly a player to keep an eye on both in training camp and over the following seasons.

I have also noticed that the invitee Jack Berger has gotten better as the camp has gone on. On the first day, I didn't think he has anything special, but on the second day he started to show a bit of skill and was pretty effective in the battle drills. He seems to have a bit of a chippy side to his game and got into a few heated puck battles with Kramer. He could be a good depth forward at some point in his career.

Speaking of Kramer, he looks like he has improved a fair amount from the last few development camps. He looks a lot stronger out there and he is moving a little quicker. He is not really the type to wow anyone with his puck skills, but overall he has made some progress in that department.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad