OT: 2013 Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Charlie Manuel has been fired (Aug. 16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
The Phillies need to construct a whole new line up. That does not mean they need all new players, but for the past few years they have been going into the season stubbornly sticking to the Rollins-XXXX-Utley-Howard-XXXXX formula, and it just doesnt work anymore. Amaro basically just tries to mix and match in those holes and hope for the best...but those holes arent the problem.

I always was a supporter of Rollins in the lead off spot...just because I thought he brought an X-factor to it with his power. His power and speed are dropping off...so he really doesnt make sense at the top of the line up anymore. Howard cant stay healthy, and just really has become non threat...which is really degrading to have in your 4 hole. With the emergence of Brown, he doesnt make sense in the line up anymore either. Utley is still a top of the line up hitter, but they still have the lefty problem.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
I'm not saying they couldn't do a better job, but I mean the Phillies aren't the only team who goes through this. There are tons of guys every year who have really good stuff and for one reason or another just never figure it out.

Yeah sure, but you see a team like the Braves who almost always have prime pitching and you think what are they do differently. And I don't know that much about other organizations but I still think the Phillies are really bad at this. Looking through our system, I can't see one pitcher that doesn't have control issues. In fact, just look at the entire pitching staff of the lehigh ironpigs over the past year. You can go down to Reading, too.

Biddle, Martin, Friend, DeFratus, Diekman, Aumont, Ramirez, Colvin, etc., these are all goes with great stuff but bad to decent command. Out of all those young guys in that bullpen, none of them can consistently throw strikes. The bullpen averages 4.22 walks per nine innings, worst in the majors. This seems like a big issue for me, that no matter who you bring up, they will walk guys. Someone needs to figure out what's going on.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yeah sure, but you see a team like the Braves who almost always have prime pitching and you think what are they do differently. And I don't know that much about other organizations but I still think the Phillies are really bad at this. Looking through our system, I can't see one pitcher that doesn't have control issues. In fact, just look at the entire pitching staff of the lehigh ironpigs over the past year. You can go down to Reading, too.

Biddle, Martin, Friend, DeFratus, Diekman, Aumont, Ramirez, Colvin, etc., these are all goes with great stuff but bad to decent command. Out of all those young guys in that bullpen, none of them can consistently throw strikes. The bullpen averages 4.22 walks per nine innings, worst in the majors. This seems like a big issue for me, that no matter who you bring up, they will walk guys. Someone needs to figure out what's going on.

Adam Morgan has plus command. Will be interesting to see if they give him a look in Sept, although he's still on an innings limit since returning from missing most of the season. But it's a big issue overall as it hasn't been a very good year for the phils minor league pitchers either. I know there's talk that Biddle has had some problems with staying healthy and things haven't been going as well as they were. Plus with last years 1st round pick RHP Shane Watson being shutdown for the rest of the season makes it worse.

I am interested to see if some of the other young arms in the pen can step up. Mike Nesseth, Austin Wright, Seth Rosin (Reading), Severino Gonzalez, Ryan O'Sullivan, Ken Giles, Nic Hanson (Clearwater), Yoel Mecias, Delvi Francisco (Lakewood)

FYI.... Phils 3B prospect Zack Green won the Home Run Derby at the NY Penn league all star game beating out teammate Gabriel Lino (C).

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Lannan is hurt again. This saddens me deeply.

So Adam Morgan, how about bringing him up to take Lannan's spot and move Martin to the bullpen? What? That would make too much sense? Alright, just continue to ignore me then.

Hey check out this Zach Minor guy. Obviously has a bright future ahead of him.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
^ They have an off day before the Dodgers series, so they probably could skip lannan spot next time and possibly have Doc start next Sunday which would be his day to start since he is making his 1st rehab appearance tomorrow and he is only supposed to make 2.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
^ They have an off day before the Dodgers series, so they probably could skip lannan spot next time and possibly have Doc start next Sunday which would be his day to start since he is making his 1st rehab appearance tomorrow and he is only supposed to make 2.

Whatever, I shouldn't even care anymore but I keep watching these stupid games like a damn fool.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Charlie Manuel is gone. Announcement @ 2:30

--------------------

When it was time for Ruben Amaro Jr. to announce that manager Charlie Manuel had been fired by the Phillies, the general manager became emotional as he delivered the official goodbye.

"I just want to say this," Amaro said as his voice grew thick and halting. "You people may not know the relationship I've had with Charlie. He's a special person. This is difficult for me. I hope he stays in our organization."

Amaro had good reason to regret the way the change went down, because the team's front office had a lot to do with Manuel not being able to finish out his contract with more dignity than can be mustered in a hastily-called August afternoon press conference.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...for_Amaro_s_mistakes.html#ofsQSBVsiOmw86Tc.99

Last edited by a moderator:

flyersguy33*

Charlie Manuel is gone. Announcement @ 2:30

Wow. Shocking that theyd do it

any source to this besides them just calling a press conference. Why would they do it today and not an off day like yesterday?

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
Sad day in Phillies history. But a totally necessary move that needed to be done. Thanks for everything Charlie.

flyersguy33*

Sad day in Phillies history. But a totally necessary move that needed to be done. Thanks for everything Charlie.

Glad he reached his milestone the other night and was able to get us what the city hadent seen in almost 30 years

Hopefully he lives up to to it and beats Howards ass on his way out

Thanks Chawlie

flybynite77

Mar 1, 2003
Visit site
When Amaro is gone the Phillies will just replace him with another company guy or someone who buys into their belief in not being creative to bend talent aquisition rules, not tick off the commish and ignore analytic/sabermetric data completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad