Proposal: 2013 Offseason: UFAs, Trades, and Potential Buyouts | Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
even if Briere goes on waivers no one will grab him.

As I posted the article from CBA and bolded the specific sub-paragraph that would cover Briere.

Simply stated, any player that has a NMC can reject being placed on waiver and become a UFA.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Since Nashville will likely be shopping Blum hard what would you think that Ottawa would be willing to move in order to have exclusive rights to either qualifying him or negotiating a contract?

Maybe a similar player that either has basically hasn't progressed much but still has potential like Andre Petersson or the rights to Nikita Filatov? Or something like a 6th or 7th round pick? Or does Ottawa just wait for him not to be qualified and take a crack at signing him?

Da Costa for Blum.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
if someone wanted him at this current contract they would have traded a 7th rounder for him...

Philly can't move him without Briere waiving his NMC.

Philly also can't place him on unconditional waivers without Briere agreeing.

So Briere is effectively a UFA the moment Philly officially informs him of the buyout, and he then hands Philly the letter rejecting the waiver option.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Da Costa for Blum.

I kind of feel like Da Costa at least still holds a little bit more value than Blum does now that they've essentially declared he's going out of the organization one way or another.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
He has a NMC.

makes sense. I still dont see a lot teams in our situation where we are willing to take on cap for a vet cause we think we are getting close.

though i guess it doesnt matter like the above poster posted

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
blum's rights would probably just be a pick or something

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 1m

The Sens have qualified RFA's: Condra, Wiercioch, Da Costa, Borowiecki, Hoffman, Cowick and Dziurzynski. Didn't give a QO to Caporusso.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I kind of feel like Da Costa at least still holds a little bit more value than Blum does now that they've essentially declared he's going out of the organization one way or another.

Agreed but who knows what teams are offering for his rights. May need that bit of extra value for him.

Mercurial

#lalala
Oct 29, 2009
The over 35 contract is no longer in the new CBA.

No matter how old a player is, if he retires the cap hit stays with the team until the end of the contract.

Not the full cap I don't think, you just have to pay recapture penalties.

From capgeek

If Marian Hossa retires or defects in the 2017 off-season (age 38 as of July 1 that year), and was traded to the Ottawa Senators in the 2013 off-season, following is an estimated breakdown of the recapture penalties for the involved teams.

Chicago Blackhawks (2017-18 through 2020-21) $10,500,000 penalty $2,625,000/year
Ottawa Senators (2017-18 through 2020-21) $6,600,000 penalty $1,650,000/year

Berserker*

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 1m

The Sens have qualified RFA's: Condra, Wiercioch, Da Costa, Borowiecki, Hoffman, Cowick and Dziurzynski. Didn't give a QO to Caporusso.

As predicted, Caporusso is the only RFA to not get a qualifying offer. It makes sense to qualify the rest because they all have at least some trade value. There is still a good chance that a few of these players get shipped out as part of a package for a top six forward or top four d man.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
A couple Devils fans took kindly to the potential of 17th + Conacher for the 9th Overall Pick.

I've been a huge defender of Conacher thus far, but I think I'd do it, at the very least strongly consider it. Especially if Shinkaruk is available. He could be a first line offensive winger that this team needs!

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
A couple Devils fans took kindly to the potential of 17th + Conacher for the 9th Overall Pick.

I've been a huge defender of Conacher thus far, but I think I'd do it, at the very least strongly consider it. Especially if Shinkaruk is available. He could be a first line offensive winger that this team needs!

Not really sure how I feel about it. I mean, I think that Conacher still has upside and he put up a 50 point pace as a rookie. If he improves even a little bit on those numbers then he's already a first line offensive winger to play with Spezza. Giving up a 1st and that potential to maybe have an offensive player as good as Conacher a few years down the road would be tough.

It's good value though for someone like Nichuskin, Shinkaruk or maybe even one of the other big names if they dropped somehow.

Healfezza

Sep 9, 2008
Red Deer
What do you guys think about Zidlicky as a UFA pickup to play on our right side? Has he lost a step in his age or is he still someone who can play a reliable 20+ minutes a night? There are slim pickings out there and he seems to be one of the better RD available. Although he might want term more then dollars, not sure if BM feels he can afford term on a 36 year old defenseman.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Well he won't be getting that.

I don't even think the dumbest GM's will give him that. He might've got that, and I mean MIGHT HAVE, if he didn't have his extensive concussion history. With that history though, if he wants anything longer than 4 years he's going to have to settle for quite a bit less than 6.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
So here is a realistic scenario I could see Ottawa moving forward with.

1. Zibanejad + 17th for Bobby Ryan
2. Rights to Nikita Filatov for Jonathon Blum

Cory Conacher - Jason Spezza - Bobby Ryan
Milan Michalek - Kyle Turris - Daniel Alfredsson
Jakob Silfverberg - Jean-Gabriel Pageau - Erik Condra
Colin Greening - Zack Smith - Chris Neil

Jared Cowen - Erik Karlsson
Marc Methot - Jonathon Blum
Chris Phillips - Patrick Wiercioch

Craig Anderson
Robin Lehner

Then maybe move a few other prospects like Hoffman or Gryba for picks. Otherwise have guys like Hoffman, Prince, Noesen, Stone, Gryba, Borowiecki, Ceci, etc. as call-ups.

WhiteLight*

I'd easily give that to Horton if he didn't have injury issues

But because of that risk I'm not sure

Turris the Turret

Do it for Rundblad
Mar 22, 2012
Ottawa
So here is a realistic scenario I could see Ottawa moving forward with.

1. Zibanejad + 17th for Bobby Ryan
2. Rights to Nikita Filatov for Jonathon Blum

Cory Conacher - Jason Spezza - Bobby Ryan
Milan Michalek - Kyle Turris - Daniel Alfredsson
Jakob Silfverberg - Jean-Gabriel Pageau - Erik Condra
Colin Greening - Zack Smith - Chris Neil

Jared Cowen - Erik Karlsson
Marc Methot - Jonathon Blum
Chris Phillips - Patrick Wiercioch

Craig Anderson
Robin Lehner

Then maybe move a few other prospects like Hoffman or Gryba for picks. Otherwise have guys like Hoffman, Prince, Noesen, Stone, Gryba, Borowiecki, Ceci, etc. as call-ups.

I like everything. I don't think Nashville would do the Blum trade though

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Guys, Blum is UFA.........

He has zero, and I mean zero trade value.

Unless you mean trade right now so the Sens can qualify him, but I don't know if that's allowed.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Guys, Blum is UFA.........

He has zero, and I mean zero trade value.

Unless you mean trade right now so the Sens can qualify him, but I don't know if that's allowed.

Apparently he's allowed to be traded before free agency opens so that another team can qualify him. That's why I figured moving something like Filatov's rights or Andre Petersson would be prudent if Ottawa was interested in him so that they didn't have to compete with anyone to sign him (if they think there will be interest). Otherwise just get him for free.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Apparently he's allowed to be traded before free agency opens so that another team can qualify him. That's why I figured moving something like Filatov's rights or Andre Petersson would be prudent if Ottawa was interested in him so that they didn't have to compete with anyone to sign him (if they think there will be interest). Otherwise just get him for free.
I'd do that then...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad