Prospect Info: 2013 NHL Entry Draft [Part VII] Offense: "We Want More, We Want More." 11 Days Remain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
The more I think about it the more ludicrous picking Jones now becomes. Imagine on live TV. Jones would hear he's picked and literally would just sit there in stunned disbelief. It would make the Avs look like complete fools. There's no chance the Avs pick Jones at #1.

Trade down and pick Jones? Then Jones thinks that Avs never had him on top of their list and feels slighted. No chance of that either.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
Yeah Button provided some very good points and to me it screams Patrick Roy, I love that he made it interesting especially with Joe Sakic coming to the Denver Post, not Dater going to him. Even Noodles doesn't quite understand why the Avs would eliminate Jones already and make a public statement about him. And it's true that we are over analyzing the situation and Sakic doesn't want the fans to be disappointed.

I have no clue who we will draft, but I still think Jones is part of the discussions.

Nobody knows but I truly believe Jones has been eliminated. I get the whole game thing but can somebody help me understand how Jones being 4th on our list helps anything? ...Why wouldn't they just say Mac is our guy to scare Florida. Why turn it into a positional thing? Talk about screwing over Jones if you do take him 1st, just adding more pressure.

Seems like they aren't high on Jones. No other explanation makes sense.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

The more I think about it the more ludicrous picking Jones now becomes. Imagine on live TV. Jones would hear he's picked and literally would just sit there in stunned disbelief. It would make the Avs look like complete fools. There's no chance the Avs pick Jones at #1.

Trade down and pick Jones? Then Jones thinks that Avs never had him on top of their list and feels slighted. No chance of that either.

Yup. Assuming the Avs keep the first pick, it will not be Jones. :)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Everyone ignores the obvious. Seth Jones is a kid. Why get his hopes up if he has no chance to be #1? Why embarrass him?

That makes no sense, I have never heard a team tell a kid we don't plan on taking you. It's normally opposite like a couple years ago when Flyers told Siemens we would take you barring anybody dropping and that is what happen.

Did you not hear what Button said? If Avs do pick Jones and he sits there in disbelief then he shouldnt have been a top 5 prospect. Button said that Jones is a very mentally tough kid and what happens, happens. I am very sure that Jones also knows about these "games" played by teams with the first overall pick.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
That makes no sense, I have never heard a team tell a kid we don't plan on taking you. It's normally opposite like a couple years ago when Flyers told Siemens we would take you barring anybody dropping and that is what happen.

They didn't say they weren't picking Jones, they said they were leaning towards forwards with the pick. No mention of definitely not taking anyone. No name dropping of Jones.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
They didn't say they weren't picking Jones, they said they were leaning towards forwards with the pick. No mention of definitely not taking anyone. No name dropping of Jones.

So that means that Jones isn't and shouldn't be out of the conversation/debate.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

I think your wish is gonna come true when Avs pick Mac.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

For all we know the Avs already told Jones he's their pick but they want to try and get some additional assets from the Panthers.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006

It's difficult to assess this. Considering the effects of the comments, it's hard to imagine taking Jones anymore. But examining the comments themselves, the door is left open.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
For all we know the Avs already told Jones he's their pick but they want to try and get some additional assets from the Panthers.

So why not say Mac is your guy instead of all three forwards? Why add that extra pressure for the media?

Mighta been a ploy to get extra picks/players, but Jones is eliminated IMO. Done, like dinner. If we move down it'll be for Drouin or Barkov.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This would be incredibly hard to believe.

True but if you told me an executive would tell a reporter his draft plans a week before the draft, I would find that very hard to believe as well.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Nobody knows but I truly believe Jones has been eliminated. I get the whole game thing but can somebody help me understand how Jones being 4th on our list helps anything? ...Why wouldn't they just say Mac is our guy to scare Florida. Why turn it into a positional thing? Talk about screwing over Jones if you do take him 1st, just adding more pressure.

Seems like they aren't high on Jones. No other explanation makes sense.

I agree, and I don't think it should be all that shocking. This franchise has had a tradition of acquiring lots of talent at forward and trading pieces off for defensive help. The highest the franchise has ever taken a defensemen was Curtis Leschyshyn at #3 in 1988. Also, every year there is talk about a defensemen going #1, but it never happens. Hedman, Gudbranson, Larsson, Murray, ect.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

If there was only one player ahead of Jones, no, you don't eliminate him. But there are 3.

The kid has been told he will be #1 overall since Christmas. Why mislead him if he has no chance of that happening? I give the Avs credit for being honest.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Well, Dater is claiming Sakic told him they won't take Jones anywhere. It was posted by someone else here, he must have mentioned it on the radio or twitter. Take it for what it's worth, I guess.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Don Cherry said he hates having the kids at the draft because it is too hard on them if:

1) They don't get picked when they were suppose to - they fall;
2) They don't get picked at all.

All the Avs are doing is taking the high road and letting Jones prepare to get passed over. Good for them.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
The kid has been told he will be #1 overall since Christmas. Why mislead him if he has no chance of that happening? I give the Avs credit for being honest.

On the Studs and Duds segment of That's Hockey Tonight Sakic was called a Dud. :dunno:

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
True but if you told me an executive would tell a reporter his draft plans a week before the draft, I would find that very hard to believe as well.

They didn't say there plans, just said they were high on the 3 forwards. I bet if Jones was ranked 4th-5th and not who everybody assumed we were taking this wouldn't have been said or nobody would care when it was. OMG the Avs love the top 3 ranked forwards!! ... duh :laugh:

We know nothing still besides them preferring the top ranked forwards over what most thought the consensus pick was in Jones.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
It's difficult to assess this. Considering the effects of the comments, it's hard to imagine taking Jones anymore. But examining the comments themselves, the door is left open.

"If we do pick first, we're leaning more toward one of those three forwards," Sakic told the newspaper. "We feel those three forwards are just too good to pass up."

That's the exact comment from Joe which looks pretty definitive to me saying they won't pick Jones. He didn't say Jones is the player we are still considering but the 3 forwards will also be too good to pass up, or something along those lines, that would of been indefinite

Edit: But that comment also could mean they might trade down

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
They didn't say there plans, just said they were high on the 3 forwards. I bet if Jones was ranked 4th-5th and not who everybody assumed we were taking this wouldn't have been said or nobody would care when it was. OMG the Avs love the top 3 ranked forwards!! ... duh :laugh:

We know nothing still besides them preferring the top ranked forwards over what most thought the consensus pick was in Jones.

And we only know that if Sakic is telling the truth.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
On the Studs and Duds segment of That's Hockey Tonight Sakic was called a Dud. :dunno:

Every scout or analyst that had Seth at #1 or had a mock draft with him going to the Avs is gonna dump on Sakic now to defend their position. Just how it's gonna go.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Well, Dater is claiming Sakic told him they won't take Jones anywhere. It was posted by someone else here, he must have mentioned it on the radio or twitter. Take it for what it's worth, I guess.

What does (in Bold) that mean?

Oh well... they had Jones as # 1 and hate to be wrong as well.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Don Cherry said he hates having the kids at the draft because it is too hard on them if:

1) They don't get picked when they were suppose to - they fall;
2) They don't get picked at all.

All the Avs are doing is taking the high road and letting Jones prepare to get passed over. Good for them.

More likely they couldn't give a rats ass about how Jones feels but want to let their fans calm down on yhe home town kid hype.

Damien Cox got replaced right? However is in charge of that needs to shut his mouth.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

More likely they couldn't give a rats ass about how Jones feels but want to let their fans calm down on yhe home town kid hype.

Fair enough. Probably a big part of it.

I still think misleading Jones is part of it as well.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad