Prospect Info: 2013 NHL Entry Draft [Part VII] Offense: "We Want More, We Want More." 11 Days Remain

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Previous Thread

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1438711

Interesting Developments

-To some, Jones=EJ 2.0, but not so fast Freudian says:

Seth Jones hasn't anything to do with EJ. There is no cautionary tale here. Just a monster under the bed you are scared of.

-Roy, Sakic and Co. have publicly stated that they will "Study the possibility of moving out of the #1 Overall"

-Roy will be the one talking trades w/ other GM's, leaving many wonder what Greg Sherman will actually do

-Rumors abounded today (6/12/13) that the Buffalo Sabres have talked with the Avs about the #1 pick, and expect to continue to talk up to the Draft.

Jeremy White ‏@JeremyWGR 6h
#Sabres Director of Amateur Scouting says they have talked with Colorado about the 1st pick...expect to continue conversations up to draft.

http://www.trendingbuffalo.com/sports/buffalo-sabres/sabres-talking-trade-with-avalanche-for-top-pick/#

-YES, Renegade Stylings STILL believes that Seth Jones is the pick for Colorado *He does get this question a lot, even from me, so I expect that if his opinion changes that he'd let us know*

-Stevie Y says that he's not trading up to #1

Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance 1h
Yzerman said he doesn't expect to move up from No. 3. Said he doesn't have ammunition to pry No. 1 pick from Avs.

Interesting Articles

"Why The Avs Will Take Seth Jones"

http://www.aspechockey.com/article2.php

"Why The Avs Will Take Nathan MacKinnon"

http://www.aspechockey.com/article1.php

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The Buffalo head scout who talked about trading up made it sound like it probably would have to be in several steps since Avs would not be receptive to drop down to 8.

So, if it did happen, it would be #3/#4 + something for #1 rather than #8, #16 + something for #1.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
The Buffalo head scout who talked about trading up made it sound like it probably would have to be in several steps since Avs would not be receptive to drop down to 8.

So, if it did happen, it would be #3/#4 + something for #1 rather than #8, #16 + something for #1.

I agree, I don't think the Avs drop down past 3 this draft.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
unless we get a sick package i don't see us moving down.
most of the teams that want the pick badly are lower than 4 or 5.

i think that one way or another we'll end up taking Jones.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I just want the pick to be over... once the decision has been made there is no more who the Avs should pick debates.

Just who the Avs should have picked debates will remain.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Any package we get from the Sabres for our pick better have every fan on the Buffalo board cursing Regier's name or it won't be worth it.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

Is there a link I could reference so that I may update the first post?

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
I'll give my opinion without mentioning position at all then. I prefer MacKinnon because I think he is ready to step in right away and be a star rookie much like Duchene and Landeskog were. With Jones, there is more development needed before he approaches his peak, and therefore more things that can go wrong along the way.

Jones may have a higher ceiling, but it's not by much IMO, and my opinion is that Mac is further along in his development. If ceilings are fairly similar, I generally prefer the player that is further along in development.

Fair enough. I disagree that length of development should be a determining factor. What is the upside of a rookie center coming in an contributing right away like Duchene and Landeskog? We had Duchene and Landeskog come in and contribute, and today we are talking about what the Avs are going to do with the number #1 overall pick. I'm sure we'd all prefer to talk about who coach is going to scratch for the Stanley Cup Finals. It's going to take some time to get there, whether there's a rookie forward contributing or not. And it's not happening until the defense is rebuilt to caliber. It's no more a guarantee (in fact it's possibly less likely) that the pieces needed to build a Stanley Cup caliber defensive corps can be acquired via trade, FA than drafting and developing the players.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Pretty ironic Buffalo want the first pick to draft Jones(I'm assuming) when they already have a bigger version of Jones but they decided they want him to play with an edge and have derailed him for the past 2 years.

If I were them I'd stay far away from SJ.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Pretty ironic Buffalo want the first pick to draft Jones(I'm assuming) when they already have a bigger version of Jones but they decided they want him to play with an edge and have derailed him for the past 2 years.

I am positive that Buffalo want MacKinnon.

I would be very disapointed moving Myers++ for Jones, doesn't make much sence.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Kevin Devine wouldn't say who they want, but they don't view Drouin to be in the conversation for #1 or #2. It's Jones or Mackinnon specifically.

Now as far as fans, bloggers, and everyone. It's assumed it's Mackinnon Buffalo would be after.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
Fair enough. I disagree that length of development should be a determining factor. What is the upside of a rookie center coming in an contributing right away like Duchene and Landeskog? We had Duchene and Landeskog come in and contribute, and today we are talking about what the Avs are going to do with the number #1 overall pick. I'm sure we'd all prefer to talk about who coach is going to scratch for the Stanley Cup Finals. It's going to take some time to get there, whether there's a rookie forward contributing or not. And it's not happening until the defense is rebuilt to caliber. It's no more a guarantee (in fact it's possibly less likely) that the pieces needed to build a Stanley Cup caliber defensive corps can be acquired via trade, FA than drafting and developing the players.

I definitely agree with the bolded part. And I agree with everything that you said, except for the point about development time if we are talking about similar ceilings. If I believe that one player has a much higher ceiling than the other, though, then I don't mind a longer development time either.

The fact is, either player we draft isn't going to turn us into a championship contender by himself. There is still a lot of work to do and moves to be made for us to get better, and we will need some more time too. But I don't doubt that management will spend the money to get us the right FAs when we are close to contending. And I don't doubt that Colorado will be a more attractive destination for FAs when we are closer to contending.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I am positive that Buffalo want MacKinnon.

I would be very disapointed moving Myers++ for Jones, doesn't make much sence.

With Grigs,Hodgson,Girgensons(sp) and Ennis who has been better as a centre than winger why, would Buffalo go out of their way and over pay for another centre. Yes, Mack should be better than all of them but Buffalo doesn't have the depth in other positions sell the farm for a luxury. But who am I to question you Darcy.:)

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
With Grigs,Hodgson,Girgensons(sp) and Ennis who has been better as a centre than winger why, would Buffalo go out of their way and over pay for another centre. Yes, Mack should be better than all of them but Buffalo doesn't have the depth in other positions sell the farm for a luxury. But who am I to question you Darcy.:)

They have 'good' centers, but they don't have a "Duchene/Tavares", and Grigs has a hell of a lot of question marks as a high risk, high reward guy.

He is going to probably be a strong #2 center, but hes going to have to overcome some serious hurdles to become a lock stock #1 center. Notice that Buffalo fans all still seem to want a young #1 center.

Even with Hodgy, Grigs, Girgensons, and Ennis. They are all #2 centers with Grigorenko being the one with #1 upside, and that's questionable.

It's a issue of quantity vs top end quality. If they can turn some of those assets into a true sure fire star #1 center, they are going to do it.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO

Like the guy above me said, it doesn't look like any of those players will turn out to be #1 Centers, which is for sure an important piece in building a team. And it never hurts to have good center depth.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
They have 'good' centers, but they don't have a "Duchene/Tavares", and Grigs has a hell of a lot of question marks as a high risk, high reward guy.

He is going to probably be a strong #2 center, but hes going to have to overcome some serious hurdles to become a lock stock #1 center. Notice that Buffalo fans all still seem to want a young #1 center.

Even with Hodgy, Grigs, Girgensons, and Ennis. They are all #2 centers with Grigorenko being the one with #1 upside, and that's questionable.

It's a issue of quantity vs top end quality. If they can turn some of those assets into a true sure fire star #1 center, they are going to do it.

I personally think Hodgson has 1 line talent, remember his development was almost ruined by Vancouver since living that hell hole he's played well and before the back injury he looked like a blue chipper. I rate him pretty high but the sabres might not.

Even if they believe all those players are just 2nd liners(not a bad thing look at the Bruins) wouldn't it make more sense to trade with the Panthers for the 2nd pick? It will cost less than go for the prestige that comes with the 1st pick. Hell if you believe the rumor Frediaun posted that they'll trade down with either the preds or tampa then why not stick at #3 or 4 and draft Barkov everyone seems to be going gaga over him( I personally don't see first line talent).

It just doesn't make sense completely overpay for the 1st pick when there's other cheaper ways to get what you want. Especially, considering what you want isn't vital.

Color me surprised if Buffalo actually makes a a bid for the first pick with the intention of drafting Mac.

@Calzner Of course it hurts to have that much depth considering you have to pay a premium price to get it.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
@Calzner Of course it hurts to have that much depth considering you have to pay a premium price to get it.

Well if their scouting department sees MacKinnon as a franchise center it isn't. They then could trade Ennis for help elsewhere, include Grigorenko in the proposal for the #1 pick, etc. They also have Johan Larsson who is a good center prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad