Speculation: 2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals: Version IV - Kings & Rangers are low..trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockinz

Leafs 4 the cup
Feb 25, 2010
Leaf Land
Then slide Bozak in the #3 role and put him and Phil on the PP so they can still play with each other.

ROR
Kadri
Bozak
McClement

Is terrific center depth. 2 potential top line Cs, and 2 versatile bottom 6 Cs who can play anywhere. (Bozak can step into a top 6 role if needed too)

From everything that i have heard he will sign with the Avs BUT for fun IF a trade were to happen between the Leafs and Avs this is what i think the deal would look like.

Bozak + Percy for O'Reilly

If the Avs wont pony up for ROR a guy like Bozak is perfect for them. He has a history playing in Colorado and would provide solid depth down the middle for the Avs at roughly $2 million less per than ROR(Bozak can be signed for $3M over 4 years). Duchene, Statsny, Bozak is a solid group down the middle for them. Percy is a smart PMD that they desperately need in their system. i think Percy could make that team next year considering how little they have when it comes to PMD (the only reason Toronto gives him up is because they have Gardiner and Rielly).

Toronto gets a Kesler type 2 way center that has grit, skill and heart. He would make us a tougher team to play against and can play against the other teams top line every night. ROR is simalar to Kesler in the way that he is a true #2A C and i think Kadri would benefit from that the way Duchene did.

Kadri
O'Reilly
Grabo
McClement

not a bad dream but u never know...

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
LOL! some of you guys are freaking insane... Honestly just because ROR is young and had a good year doesn't mean this kid is #1 center potential. Remember the JFJ mistake trading Rask for Raycroft. Do you really want to repeat that mistake with Jake Gardiner?

If the price for ROR is a top prospect and a roster player if Nonis pays more than one of Bozak or Gunnarson + Colborne he should be fired on the spot.

If Gardiner is being traded to Colorado it's not freaking ROR Nonis should be getting never mind add a + to it to get ROR. It's Duchene that should be coming Toronto's way... LOL looks like ROR is the new king of hockeysfutures.com of being overrated. Didn't think it was possible for somebody to surpass B.Schenn yet ROR just did. LOL!

ROR is more proven than Gardiner and a much safer bet.... and younger...
And the Avs are not trading Duchene for anything on the Leafs. Only guys they would listen are Stamkos, Crosby, Malkin, maybe Tavares....
You get the picture. Dude is a huge Avs fan and wants to be here (kind of important) If we trade him, we go from 3 #1 (b) Centers to possibly none in a few months. That will never happen.

Oh and Percy + Bozak is an insulting offer. An UFA + a prospect that does nothing for the Avs (Percy is not better than Barrie/Elliott/Siemens).

The "top prospect" in the asking price would most certainly be one of Rielly/Gardiner/Kadri or maybe Frattin....

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
From everything that i have heard he will sign with the Avs BUT for fun IF a trade were to happen between the Leafs and Avs this is what i think the deal would look like.

Bozak + Percy for O'Reilly

If the Avs wont pony up for ROR a guy like Bozak is perfect for them. He has a history playing in Colorado and would provide solid depth down the middle for the Avs at roughly $2 million less per than ROR(Bozak can be signed for $3M over 4 years). Duchene, Statsny, Bozak is a solid group down the middle for them. Percy is a smart PMD that they desperately need in their system. i think Percy could make that team next year considering how little they have when it comes to PMD (the only reason Toronto gives him up is because they have Gardiner and Rielly).

Toronto gets a Kesler type 2 way center that has grit, skill and heart. He would make us a tougher team to play against and can play against the other teams top line every night. ROR is simalar to Kesler in the way that he is a true #2A C and i think Kadri would benefit from that the way Duchene did.

Kadri
O'Reilly
Grabo
McClement

not a bad dream but u never know...

You know what's funny. Bozak is looking really good this year playing like Craig Janney but nobody seems to notice his growth on this forum;) Some times the best trade you make is the one you don't.;)

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
ROR is more proven than Gardiner and a much safer bet.... and younger...
And the Avs are not trading Duchene for anything on the Leafs. Only guys they would listen are Stamkos, Crosby, Malkin, maybe Tavares....
You get the picture. Dude is a huge Avs fan and wants to be here (kind of important) If we trade him, we go from 3 #1 (b) Centers to possibly none in a few months. That will never happen.

Oh and Percy + Bozak is an insulting offer. An UFA + a prospect that does nothing for the Avs (Percy is not better than Barrie/Elliott/Siemens).

The "top prospect" in the asking price would most certainly be one of Rielly/Gardiner/Kadri or maybe Frattin....

Then let somebody else overpay for ROR if that's the case... something tells me your over valuing ROR just as you overvalued Duchene by even mentioning his name to the likes of what you did there :help:

Fans need to learn when you try to make a trade assessment do it through the eyes of the other team to see if a trade could be made not looking to hit a homerun for your favorite team. :)

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Then let somebody else overpay for ROR if that's the case... something tells me your over valuing ROR just as you overvalued Duchene by even mentioning his name to the likes of what you did there :help:

Fans need to learn when you try to make a trade assessment do it through the eyes of the other team to see if a trade could be made not looking to hit a homerun for your favorite team. :)

Duchene is not even close to those guys in value. Never said that. Just does not make sense to move the guy who wants to be here (especially in the current situation with ROR and Stazz in limbo) for anything less..

And to be honest. Those proposals in here are brutal. Does nothing for the Avs. And I mean like really nothing. I would rather see ROR rot in the KHL than accept any of those last few offers that don't include Gardiner. So I simply don't want to trade ROR for pieces that do nothing for Avs. If you think that is me overvalueing him, that is fine to me...

Your second paragraph is beyond funny. That is exactly what you did not do with the Avs :D

Gardiner is kind of expendable with Reilly , Holzer, Liles, Blacker and the ton of other guys you have up here or down with the Marlies or in Junior.
And ROR would fill your biggest organisational need....
I know quite a lot about the Leafs. They are probably my second favorite team as long as the fans don't propose trades for Avs players.
That is beyond frustrating to read ;).

Last edited:

Dwight K Schrute

Nov 30, 2009
Scranton
Duchene is not even close to those guys in value. Never said that. Just does not make sense to move the guy who wants to be here (especially in the current situation with ROR and Stazz in limbo) for anything less..

And to be honest. Those proposals in here are brutal. Does nothing for the Avs. And I mean like really nothing. I would rather see ROR rot in the KHL than accept any of those last few offers that don't include Gardiner. So I simply don't want to trade ROR for pieces that do nothing for Avs. If you think that is me overvalueing him, that is fine to me...

Your second paragraph is beyond funny. That is exactly what you did not do with the Avs :D

Gardiner is kind of expendable with Reilly , Holzer, Liles, Blacker and the ton of other guys you have up here or down with the Marlies or in Junior.
And ROR would fill your biggest organisational need....
I know quite a lot about the Leafs. They are probably my second favorite team as long as the fans don't propose trades for Avs players.
That is beyond frustrating to read ;).

I think something like Gardiner and Grabo(if we eat half his salary). We would have a huge logjam at C if we traded for ROR. You would have a top prospect and a solid player at 2.75 million.

I love Gardiner but I can't see Carlyle wanting to dress 2 great offensive D-men when Morgan Rielly is ready. He is too defensive minded.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I think the sharks are beginning to circle with the caps.

As good as are team is doing, I'm not prepared to pay Kessel what he's going to command in free agency.

Any chance we can get Ovy for a Kessel + Frattin + prospect type deal? This is the time to strike, Ovy hasn't been playing great but the upside is too much to pass up. When on his game, Ovy is an elite talent.

Rockinz

Leafs 4 the cup
Feb 25, 2010
Leaf Land
You know what's funny. Bozak is looking really good this year playing like Craig Janney but nobody seems to notice his growth on this forum;) Some times the best trade you make is the one you don't.;)

Why because he is a good face off guy and banged in a few rebounds?

I like Bozak but his growth is still #2C/3A center quality.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
LOL! some of you guys are freaking insane... Honestly just because ROR is young and had a good year doesn't mean this kid is #1 center potential. Remember the JFJ mistake trading Rask for Raycroft. Do you really want to repeat that mistake with Jake Gardiner?

If the price for ROR is a top prospect and a roster player if Nonis pays more than one of Bozak or Gunnarson + Colborne he should be fired on the spot.

If Gardiner is being traded to Colorado it's not freaking ROR Nonis should be getting never mind add a + to it to get ROR. It's Duchene that should be coming Toronto's way... LOL looks like ROR is the new king of hockeysfutures.com of being overrated. Didn't think it was possible for somebody to surpass B.Schenn yet ROR just did. LOL!

Duchene is literally untouchable. If we traded him, lose O'Reilly, we are left with Stastny, and he is a UFA next year :help: He has easily been our best forward this year, he loves the Avs, is on a great contract, and has a ton of potential. He goes nowhere. I've seen a few people speculating about him now. Stop. It will never happen. ROR is the one who is going to be traded.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
He's in that same conversation though. Maybe a better comparison would be Mike Richards.

Um,....no.

I'd love him if he was, but he isn't. He's young with an established solid D game and some offensive potential. But it's his 'potential' that has everyone in a wet dream for him. If he had 3 more seasons at 50 pts, he'd be OK.

If COL wants a top prospect, I'd be out. Not Reilly or Gardiner. Colborne, Finn, Percy, etc, fine. They'd be at or near the top of most teams lists anyway.

We'd also have to find a home for Grabovski. Normally I'd say Bozak, but I wouldn't hedge my bets on RO'R gelling with Kessel. He's also not the answer we really need there.

The truth is, we don't need another 2nd line center. We have 3 and 1 in the minors.

We are winning without adding another player. Why risk that for a 2nd liner we don't really need. Let Bozak play with Kessel where he fits until a legit C comes up.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
I think something like Gardiner and Grabo(if we eat half his salary). We would have a huge logjam at C if we traded for ROR. You would have a top prospect and a solid player at 2.75 million.

I love Gardiner but I can't see Carlyle wanting to dress 2 great offensive D-men when Morgan Rielly is ready. He is too defensive minded.

its funny cause we had this predicament before. having 2 very good prospects at the same position (goaltending) and it came back to bite us in the ass because the guy we kept (pogge) crapped the bed and the better goaltender by advanced scouts, everyone whos watched him play (rask). i doubt nonis is going to make a big splash, hes big on this play the kids and be patient.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Typical "grass is greener" syndrome.

agreed. Bozak has played well, if he keeps this up we could become a serious threat in the playoffs imo (out of the back half of the teams in the playoffs)

that Bozak+Kadri+2nd for Luongo is looking pretty good for us right now.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario

As good as are team is doing, I'm not prepared to pay Kessel what he's going to command in free agency.

Any chance we can get Ovy for a Kessel + Frattin + prospect type deal? This is the time to strike, Ovy hasn't been playing great but the upside is too much to pass up. When on his game, Ovy is an elite talent.

u dont want to pay up for kessel but u will for ovie? get over the hype man, if nonis traded kessel for ovie straight up id be pissed.

Dwight K Schrute

Nov 30, 2009
Scranton
its funny cause we had this predicament before. having 2 very good prospects at the same position (goaltending) and it came back to bite us in the ass because the guy we kept (pogge) crapped the bed and the better goaltender by advanced scouts, everyone whos watched him play (rask). i doubt nonis is going to make a big splash, hes big on this play the kids and be patient.

I agree it is a bit of a risk but the chances of Rielly being a bust seem slim to none. The kid has an unbelievable stride and will be an offensive threat in the NHL. Say somehow he did not become a solid NHL player I still think we would be able to build a solid D with other prospects, UFAs and the current players. Trading a great goalie is harder to make up for because they are so hard to find.

O'reilly fills a bigger need than Gardiner IMO.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
I would do that. A core of ROR, Kessel, JVR, Kadri, Rielly, Phaneuf, Lupul, Frattin and maybe Reimer is a nice group to build around.

is ROR really that big of an upgrade over Grabo? Idk if people can see this but im looking at bostons roster (well there top couple lines, and i dont know boston that well so bare with me)

Bostons top centers when they won the cup were:
Bergeron
Krecji
Kelly
Campbell

well NOT that im saying that Bozak is anywhere close to as good as Bergeron but Bergeron is known for how good he is at faceoffs, well if Bozak keeps this up and keeps the puck on our stick we will have a way better time and could be that center who is more defensive minded and good hard worker, Bergeron lite lite lite (dont want to get flamed).

Krecji was the guy the bruins picked instead of kessel, but is Krecji really that much better than Grabo? (and im more asking and hopefully ill get a non subjective reply). I see similar contracts, same position, similar numbers, now Grabo can shutdown teams but he can also score.....something that come playoff time could really help this team (but dont need him with kessel, so he can shutdown teams and kessel can get the easier lines) but now i dont know much about there bottom 6 so i dont want to act like i do, but imo we have more offensive flash on our 3rd line then they did. They have Seguin, Lucic, Horton,Marchand as there top wingers (Rechi and Ryder were in there top 9 too) now i dont want to start an argument but it seems like we have a similar team but were missing that big fighter in the top 6 imo we have kessel=seguin, horton=lupul, marchand>komarov (at this point and time), but we also have more offensive weapons in jvr kadri and frattin. Now im not saying that we can have anywhere close to a cup winning team but ive always liked the Boston Bruins team because its gritty, tough and i like to call them a "playoff team" who kind of coasts through the regular season and when the playoffs come around there always in the hunt. Similar to the New York Giants in football who will go 8-8 then they actually play unreal...idk

Obviously our D isn't too different if Phaneuf can play half as well as Chara we can have a very good D, and we have more prospects coming up. We have a bright future should we trade Grabo who plays hard minutes and gardiner who has potential to be a very good Defender for years to come worth an upgrade at #1 C with ROR? I agree we need to find someone better than Bozak but if he can keep winning draws and be defensively responsible i dont see how that trade would benefit our current team or in the future.

(i also want to go on the record that i think Grabo will get traded sooner or later, i just dont think ROR is the answer)

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
I agree it is a bit of a risk but the chances of Rielly being a bust seem slim to none. The kid has an unbelievable stride and will be an offensive threat in the NHL. Say somehow he did not become a solid NHL player I still think we would be able to build a solid D with other prospects, UFAs and the current players. Trading a great goalie is harder to make up for because they are so hard to find.

O'reilly fills a bigger need than Gardiner IMO.

imo if you have 2 elite level Dmen moving the puck and 1 rock on D who hits hard and has a bomb from the point has the potential to be an identity, why would you even make that risk of losing one? this team as is is very good, and imo need a #1 center but were not close enough to being a serious contender to make assumptions on prospects, like what we did with a sure fire prospect in pogge.

edit: and sorry for all the posts in a row

Dwight K Schrute

Nov 30, 2009
Scranton
imo if you have 2 elite level Dmen moving the puck and 1 rock on D who hits hard and has a bomb from the point has the potential to be an identity, why would you even make that risk of losing one? this team as is is very good, and imo need a #1 center but were not close enough to being a serious contender to make assumptions on prospects, like what we did with a sure fire prospect in pogge.

edit: and sorry for all the posts in a row

It's not like ROR is old. He is younger than Gardiner and has proven more. We would be dealing a young player from a position of organizational strength for a young player who plays a position we lack. Seems like a no brainer to me.

If you want to keep gardiner then we should offer sheet ROR. Give up a 1st 2nd and 3rd. Outside of Mackinnon noone projects to be a better C than ROR.

What is more valuable our first this year or Gardiner?

Defense

Oct 27, 2009

I would say Ovy is not untouchable anymore. So if nobody else is going to rip this apart. Kessel was 2 1sts and a 2nd. Swapping Kessel for Ovy, sniper for sniper is a sideways move and makes no sense. For what it is, Kessel is the leading scorer on the Leafs, and Ovy isn't on his team, although he has been heating up lately. Frattin=1st round pick... I think we all wouldn't trade Frattin for a 1st right now, we need him more than his trade value anyways. So to sum that trade up it is equivalent to 3 1st round picks, a 2nd and a prospect.

So Id hang onto Kessel. Im keen on getting Ovy, but this is the package I proposed a while back.

Rielly
Biggs
Percy
1st round pick

Flame away but its Ovechkin, and Washington(last place right now) is set to select one of Set Jones, Nathan MacKinnon or Jonathan Drouin.

For the Leafs we don't loose a roster player right now, a player that has no impact on our playoff run, and Ovechkin makes an immediate impact. He joins the Europeans in Grabovski, Kulemin, and Komarov.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
It's not like ROR is old. He is younger than Gardiner and has proven more. We would be dealing a young player from a position of organizational strength for a young player who plays a position we lack. Seems like a no brainer to me.

If you want to keep gardiner then we should offer sheet ROR. Give up a 1st 2nd and 3rd. Outside of Mackinnon noone projects to be a better C than ROR.

I agree, well except for the offer sheet. Gardiner is a great talent and can/is top 4 D as I don't think he has #1 D potential. Same goes for O'Reilly, his not a #1 but being a GREAT #2 along with being one of the best defensive centres.

I think Gardiner+mac/bozak for O'Reilly+2nd/3rd would be fair. If that were to happen, we could then trade Grabo and promote Kadri to 2nd line C.

I would try hard to keep Bozak for our 3rd line and ship Mac instead if we could.

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer, as I can understand and respect those who wouldn't trade Gardiner. However the possibility of having one of the best defensive centres who can put up 55+ is very enticing.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
I would say Ovy is not untouchable anymore. So if nobody else is going to rip this apart. Kessel was 2 1sts and a 2nd. Swapping Kessel for Ovy, sniper for sniper is a sideways move and makes no sense. For what it is, Kessel is the leading scorer on the Leafs, and Ovy isn't on his team, although he has been heating up lately. Frattin=1st round pick... I think we all wouldn't trade Frattin for a 1st right now, we need him more than his trade value anyways. So to sum that trade up it is equivalent to 3 1st round picks, a 2nd and a prospect.

So Id hang onto Kessel. Im keen on getting Ovy, but this is the package I proposed a while back.

Rielly
Biggs
Percy
1st round pick

Flame away but its Ovechkin, and Washington(last place right now) is set to select one of Set Jones, Nathan MacKinnon or Jonathan Drouin.

For the Leafs we don't loose a roster player right now, a player that has no impact on our playoff run, and Ovechkin makes an immediate impact. He joins the Europeans in Grabovski, Kulemin, and Komarov.

would be cool, but trading morgan rielly might be one of those "lets hate on the new gm cause this kid is special"

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/02/1...s-mild-knee-injury-will-be-out-minimum-a-week

TORONTO - David Nonis figures Ben Scrivens can be the guy in James Reimer’s absence.

“Ben has played very well for us this season and we expect that to continue until James is ready to return,†Nonis, the Maple Leafs general manager, said in an e-mail on Tuesday afternoon.

“(We’re) thankful that it’s not a serious or long-term injury (for Reimer).â€

The word from the Leafs is that Reimer is expected to be out a minimum of one week after he suffered a mild medial collateral ligament (MCL) strain in his left knee during Monday’s 5-2 victory against the Philadelphia Flyers.

The situation could become dire if Scrivens falters and Reimer is out of the lineup longer than the Leafs expect. Rynnas is not ready to be a No. 1 goalie in the NHL, let alone a guy who can back up on a regular basis.

If Nonis decides to go shopping, Jonathan Bernier of the Los Angeles Kings, Jonas Hiller of the Anaheim Ducks and Nikolai Khabibulin of the Edmonton Oilers are names that have been part of scuttlebutt. Free agents include Brent Johnson and Ty Conklin.

Roberto Luongo? Highly unlikely, unless the Vancouver Canucks’ asking price drops. Would you include Nazem Kadri, or even Tyler Bozak, in a trade to get Luongo? Didn’t think so.

Given a choice, Nonis would prefer to sit tight.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Good to hear Nonis rather sit tight then waste assets to get a new goalie in.

And to the posters above who wants to waste our future to get Ovechin, are you really serious? :laugh:

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario

these moves all seem really good, however, there are many players in the top 10 who could become better than ROR, i wouldn't be against offer sheeting him, 1+2+3rd is okay but if people want to promote kadri so fast then trade grabo instead grabo+finn/percy/blacker sounds fair to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad