Speculation: 2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals: Version IV - Kings & Rangers are low..trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I like O'Reilly game but we're spending assets on a player that we would like to have but don't really need. He's not a 1st line center, he's never shown that offensive game in his career to show that he has that potential. The blueline is just as important as the forwards. Honestly, some of you guys are so clueless in addressing priorities.

His career really hasn't been long, he's only 20/21

He's already potted 50+ points in a season and has a great defensive game.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner

I mean his junior career (including his career). Heck, kid hasn't scored 20 goals in any level so far except the one year in GTHL. I am not sold on his offense at all.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Additionally if you think about the system and style the Leafs are playing, and will play going forward, ROR has greater potential value than Gardiner has ...

Gards had more value under the 'run and gun' with Wilson because it allowed him to wheel and freelance with the puck which is what he's awesome at .. ROR would probably be exposed more defensively in this style of system and probably doesn't have the offensive dynamic to be very impactful

On the other hand, in RC's system Gards isn't overly physical nor has he currently really filled out to be able to handle a tighter checking game .. Meanwhile ROR would excel in the cycle game and be a guy that can get to the net

I think it's a great fit personally

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I would think Gardiner would be the main piece going the other way.
Gardiner+ who though?

I would do it for that price, due to boatloads of cheap defensive depth we have, Gardiner is great but you have a similar player in Rielly who will soon make the team, so it won't hurt THAT badly.

We could also draft Josh Morrisey at our draft spot, and he's a very good puck moving defensman a la Rielly.

JMcLeaf

I'd rather move Grabo then Bozak...

I wouldn't mind seeing

Grabo (we eat 1.5mil)
Gardiner

for

O'Reilly
2nd

I think this would work for both teams, Colorado can shuffle between a 1-2-3 of Duchene - Grabo - Stastny, and we keep Bozak for our 3rd line...

JVR - O'Reilly - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Frattin
Komarov - Bozak - Kulemin
McClaren - McClement - Orr
Brown

Phaneuf - Holzer
Liles - Franson
Fraser - Gunnarsson
Kostka

Reims
Scrivens

I like this

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I have a bad feeling the Sens will grab O'Reilly. They had no problem overpaying for Turris (at the time it seemed like an overpayment), and Murray doesn't seem scared to make a risky deal.

buntek

Jun 2, 2011
Toronto
It's funny because had O'Reilly been drafted by the Leafs, all you experts probably would have called him a bust after his first 2 seasons. Now, after a good third season, we need to move heaven and earth to get him. You want to move a guy like Gardiner, who has the potential to be a very special defenceman IMO, instead of drafting and developing our own great players...

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
It's funny because had O'Reilly been drafted by the Leafs, all you experts probably would have called him a bust after his first 2 seasons. Now, after a good third season, we need to move heaven and earth to get him. You want to move a guy like Gardiner, who has the potential to be a very special defenceman IMO, instead of drafting and developing our own great players...

The only reason ROR wants the long term contract and big money is that "he isn't confident in himself that he can have a repeat year so he wants to cash in now in case of the real possibility that he goes back to being a 30-40 point player. Don't get me wrong - He looked like an amazing player, but this situation points to that - unless he truly hates playing in Colorado and wants to go else where." I saw that quoted on the main thread and fully agree with that.

leugangen

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto
I really hope Nonis is putting in a lot of effort trying to get ROR. This is the type of player you win with, and he is at an amazing age to add to our core.

Cool Hand Luke

May 27, 2008
I like O'Reilly game but we're spending assets on a player that we would like to have but don't really need. He's not a 1st line center, he's never shown that offensive game in his career to show that he has that potential. The blueline is just as important as the forwards. Honestly, some of you guys are so clueless in addressing priorities.

He's friggen 22!

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

We was loved beyond belief the first two years in Colorado.
He was an absolute fan favorite after stepping in as an 18 yr old 2nd rounder and immediately being one of the 3 best defensive forward on the Avs. He showed his offense in the first 20 games and than it kind of tailed off when he hit a wall (not surprising with his kind of linemates).
He started than to break out offensively at the end of his sophomore season.
So you are completely wrong in your assessment. I think that if ROR would have been drafted by the Leafs, you would value him at Kessel level right now ( he would have put a crapload of points next to him) ....

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Pulock might be around also, although the Leafs would have to miss the playoffs to be able to pick him.

Yeah, Pullock would be sweet too. He's a falling a little bit in the rankings cause of the injury, so who knows. Him and Reilly on the L and R points on the PP would be sweet, especially with his 103mph howitzer.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
I'd rather move Grabo then Bozak...

I wouldn't mind seeing

Grabo (we eat 1.5mil)
Gardiner

for

O'Reilly
2nd

I think this would work for both teams, Colorado can shuffle between a 1-2-3 of Duchene - Grabo - Stastny, and we keep Bozak for our 3rd line...

JVR - O'Reilly - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Frattin
Komarov - Bozak - Kulemin
McClaren - McClement - Orr
Brown

Phaneuf - Holzer
Liles - Franson
Fraser - Gunnarsson
Kostka

Reims
Scrivens

I would do that. A core of ROR, Kessel, JVR, Kadri, Rielly, Phaneuf, Lupul, Frattin and maybe Reimer is a nice group to build around.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Horrible assessment. He was absolutely loved by Avs fans. I doubt anyone from any fanbase would have called an 18 year old 2nd round pick making the NHL a bust. It is not like he was a top 10 pick and expected to do well. According to behindthenet.ca the linemates he played with most in his first 2 seasons were Yip, Mcleod, Tucker, and Winnik. How can you expect any offence from him playing with guys like that? Oh, and he lead the Avs in PK time as an 18 year old. Thinking he would have been called a bust is laughable.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
O'Reilly has scored 55 points as a 20-21 year old..

Kessel put up 60 points before he was traded...granted Kessel had much more offensive potential when he was traded, you can't just label ROR a 50 point player.

The guy is young and put up 55 points, good defensively, and plays a lot on the PK. Put him with Kessel and that line gets better defensively and he probably puts up ~60 points at least.

I'd trade Gardiner+ (as long as the + is reasonable) for ROR.

Trade from a position of strength to get a position of need..

ROR and Kadri as our top 2 centers? That's a hell of a lot better than what it was 2-3 years ago.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010

Kessel put up 60 points before he was traded...granted Kessel had much more offensive potential when he was traded, you can't just label ROR a 50 point player.

The guy is young and put up 55 points, good defensively, and plays a lot on the PK. Put him with Kessel and that line gets better defensively and he probably puts up ~60 points at least.

ROR and Kadri as our top 2 centers? That's a hell of a lot better than what it was 2-3 years ago.

Then slide Bozak in the #3 role and put him and Phil on the PP so they can still play with each other.

ROR
Kadri
Bozak
McClement

Is terrific center depth. 2 potential top line Cs, and 2 versatile bottom 6 Cs who can play anywhere. (Bozak can step into a top 6 role if needed too)

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008

LOL! some of you guys are freaking insane... Honestly just because ROR is young and had a good year doesn't mean this kid is #1 center potential. Remember the JFJ mistake trading Rask for Raycroft. Do you really want to repeat that mistake with Jake Gardiner?

If the price for ROR is a top prospect and a roster player if Nonis pays more than one of Bozak or Gunnarson + Colborne he should be fired on the spot.

If Gardiner is being traded to Colorado it's not freaking ROR Nonis should be getting never mind add a + to it to get ROR. It's Duchene that should be coming Toronto's way... LOL looks like ROR is the new king of hockeysfutures.com of being overrated. Didn't think it was possible for somebody to surpass B.Schenn yet ROR just did. LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad