Speculation: 2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings: Version V-Gardiner or O'Reilly

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebel111*

continue here

ovi is half the player phil is

kessel has developed that elite play making abillity, while ovi is still a selfish player

no thanks at all

morgan reilly for ovi

really guys?

leave ovi in washington, don't want him near our team

Last edited by a moderator:

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
This Ryan O'Rielly situation, sounds vaguely familiar, if you substitute Kessel for ROR, it's a very comparable thing, to when Burke traded for Kessel, it was almost the same.

The gamble is, will we regret what Gardiner and maybe our 1st will become, or take a chance that ROR, will be the next Kessel, I personally like Kessel but should we take the chance of Gardiner becoming the next Bobby Orr and who knows what the first may become?

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Perhaps it is just that I have not seen enough of ROR (only seen a couple of games) but I dont really see why we would want to give up a PMD, age 22 for him. And it is not just because Gardiner was a 1st rounder but since you brought it up. There is a reason highly skilled defenders go earlier in the draft then character 2-way centers.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Not sure what roster player they would want for O'Reilly, but I think the prospect that fits the bill would be Percy. He has had almost two years of development since being drafted, would help their blueline and is a good prospect, although not blue chip.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
I'd offer Grabovski just for the salary cap purposes. But ROR definitely fits our age category for a centre.

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
While it would pain me to do it, I would consider

Gardiner+MacA for ROR.

Liles is untradeable, at least for anything good. He is a PMD though admittedly nothing like Gardiner. Morgan is coming next year or the year after. ROR would be a great addition for many years.

Like ya said, you gotta give to get.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Why would the Avs want a 29 year old center in return for a 20 year old center? We can trade Grabo later on if ROR settles in nicely...

They want a roster player and a top prospect right?

Roster player...the only think they are getting is guys like Bozak, #4-#6D etc.

Gardiner has middle of the pack top pairing potential, ROR has a middle of the pack #1C potential.

Gardiner + 3rd line C (Bozak) for ROR.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Grabovski for Stastny?

He's cheaper, locked up long term, and the Avs don't have any cap issues anyway.

Stastny is UFA after next season, and is a flight risk.

If we got ROR, I wonder if a team like Anaheim would be interested in Grabo? Even if Getzlaf stays, Koivus getting older. And if Getzlaf leaves, then they definitely need a top 6 C. Columbus, Phoenix, Nashville, St. Louis, etc are all teams who could have legitimate interest.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Stastny is so overrated, it makes me want to throw up. Start watching some of the absolutely listless, gutless efforts he puts in, and people will stop hoping to trade good assets for him, just because he and Phil had some chemistry 3 years ago.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Stastny is so overrated, it makes me want to throw up. Start watching some of the absolutely listless, gutless efforts he puts in, and people will stop hoping to trade good assets for him, just because he and Phil had some chemistry 3 years ago.

Yeah, I don't want Stastny any more..

It is much better to go for guys that are 20-22 years old instead of guys like Stastny who are UFA and just looking for a pay day on their last money making contract

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Grabovski for Stastny?

He's cheaper, locked up long term, and the Avs don't have any cap issues anyway.

Stastny is UFA after next season, and is a flight risk.

I wouldn't mind doing that.. Stastny is a pure playmaker and would be amazing with Phil. It moves Bozak to his rightful spot at the #3 centre and Kadri up to the #2. Not only that but with him being a UFA after next season, it means we could likely sign him to less and he could hopefully develop chemistry with Kessel. I'm not sure why he wouldn't want to stay with the Leafs, but I'd rather get O'Reilly just because of the age, and stuff like that.

I think a change of scenery could help.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I wouldn't mind doing that.. Stastny is a pure playmaker and would be amazing with Phil. It moves Bozak to his rightful spot at the #3 centre and Kadri up to the #2. Not only that but with him being a UFA after next season, it means we could likely sign him to less and he could hopefully develop chemistry with Kessel. I'm not sure why he wouldn't want to stay with the Leafs, but I'd rather get O'Reilly just because of the age, and stuff like that.

His play this year, and quite a bit of last year, puts me right off. He just doesn't care. If you WANT out, you play so other teams want you. He might as well stay at home a lot of nights.

I'll pass. This team's new image is built on hard work, and team first. Stastny doesn't represent either.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
His play this year, and quite a bit of last year, puts me right off. He just doesn't care. If you WANT out, you play so other teams want you. He might as well stay at home a lot of nights.

I'll pass. This team's new image is built on hard work, and team first. Stastny doesn't represent either.

Same could've been said for Kessel but he's adjusted.. Stastny is an amazing passer who would come in and produce right away playing with Phil.. Any idea who he's been paired with so far this year?

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I think O'Reilly would be a great aquisition and I wonder if Joe Colborne might be of some interest to them, as part of a deal.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Sources: Avalanche exploring trading RFA O'Reilly

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415885

Restricted free agent forward Ryan O'Reilly might have played his last game with the Colorado Avalanche after so far failing to agree to a new contract with the team.

Speaking on Insider Trading on Tuesday night, TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger said that according to sources, the Avalanche have already started trade discussions with Eastern Conference teams.

Dreger added that the expected return that Colorado would want in a trade would be a roster player and a top prospect.

Dreger and fellow TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie further explored the 22-year-old's future with the club.

McKenzie asked both the Avalanche and O'Reilly's representatives about rumours that the forward asked to be moved, but both sides decided to neither reject nor confirm the reports.

The contract impasse stemmed from the fact that the Avs wanted O'Reilly to take the same deal that Matt Duchene took, a two year deal worth a total of $7 million. The club also offered O'Reilly a five-year deal worth $17 million. The forward and his camp reportedly want to be paid based on how he played last year.

O'Reilly played in 81 games with the Avs in 2011-12, and scored 18 goals and 37 assists.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton

Stastny is only 27, really not all that much older than O'Reilly.

I'd do an Grabovski for Stastny swap. Then trade for Stewart who also had great chemistry with Stastny. Stastny is good friends with Bozak too.

Gunnarsson + MacArthur for Stewart?

Kulemin to Pittburgh for a 1st and Simon Despres

Lupul-Stastny-Kessel
JVR-Bozak-Stewart
Komarov-Kadri-Frattin
McLaren/Brown-McClement-Orr/Brown
Steckel

Phaneuf-Holzer
Liles-Kostka
Fraser-Franson
Komisarek

Reimer
Scrivens

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Stastny is only 27, really not all that much older than O'Reilly.

I'd do an Grabovski for Stastny swap. Then trade for Stewart who also had great chemistry with Stastny. Stastny is good friends with Bozak too.

Gunnarsson + MacArthur for Stewart?

Kulemin to Pittburgh for a 1st and Simon Despres

Lupul-Stastny-Kessel
JVR-Bozak-Stewart
Komarov-Kadri-Frattin
McLaren/Brown-McClement-Orr/Brown
Steckel

Phaneuf-Holzer
Liles-Kostka
Fraser-Franson
Komisarek

Reimer
Scrivens

If Stastny and Stewart have chemistry together, you put them together. I'd keep the Kessel, Bozak, Lupul line together and then move Stastny with JVR and Stewart? Or switch Lupul and JVR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad