Speculation: 2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings Version III

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
How else would you find the #1 C?

Which position do we have more quality in... Defense or centre? Sometimes you have to trade from an area of strength to fill a hole in the team

The same way everyone else does; smart drafting.

You don't have to trade an elite prospect.

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Trade: Kessel for Schneider

Sign:
Fantasy
Perry $7.5M per yr
Getzlaf $6M per yr

or

Realistic
Weiss $5M
Horton $4.8M
Clowe $4M
Fistric $1.5M
Murray $3M

FORWARDS
Joffrey Lupul ($5.250m) / Mikhail Grabovski ($5.500m) / Nathan Horton ($4.500m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Stephen Weiss ($5.000m) / Nikolai Kulemin ($2.800m)
Ryane Clowe ($4.000m) / Nazem Kadri ($0.851m) / Matt Frattin ($0.925m)
Leo Komarov ($0.803m) / Jay McClement ($1.500m) / Mike Brown ($0.737m)
DEFENSEMEN
Jake Gardiner ($1.117m) / Carl Gunnarsson ($1.250m)
John-Michael Liles ($3.875m) / Dion Phaneuf ($6.500m)
Cody Franson ($1.200m) / Douglas Murray ($3.00m)
Morgan Rielly ($1.775m)/

GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Ben Scrivens ($0.613m)
BUYOUTS
Darcy Tucker ($1.000m) / Colby Armstrong ($1.000m)

Apr 1, 2010

:banghead: :punk::cf:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:banghead:

Rockinz

Leafs 4 the cup
Feb 25, 2010
Leaf Land
wow watching the game tonight, who don't you trade? Reimer.....couldn't stop a beachball, Dion has a cannon of a shot, but won't shoot?????, Grabbo, looks like Blake 2.0 skates around like a NASCAR race, going in circles, Kadri....invisible, Kulemin?????, Franson?????, Lilies???????, Fraser????? blah blah blah............

good bye :shakehead

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
That would go down as the worst trade in Leaf history...

Assuming we're talking about the Schneider, Kassian, 1st Round Pick that was talked about last night, we could do a lot worse. Any less than that, it's an absolute no-go.

I hate to give credit to Vancouver, but Schneider would be the best goaltender we've had since the '04 lockout. And unlike Raycroft and Toskala before him or Bernier in LA, this guy actually beat out the superstar goaltender playing in front of him.

thepatient

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
hypothetical situation.

Let's say the Leafs fail to make the playoffs this year (but get close). Kessel is on the last year of his contract and we go into the season thinking we can sign him. Fast forward to the deadline, the leafs are in 7th place and Kessel isn't extended, and you know he likely won't stay. Do you keep him and hope for a run or trade him for futures?

Apr 1, 2010
Couture for Toskala hurts so much worse. Couture - Grabovski - Kadri down the middle would be beyond incredible right now.

Just giving up a 1st for garbage is a killer. Even though everyone likes to trot out hte kessel deal, At least Kessel is an elite player.

JMcLeaf

Couture for Toskala hurts so much worse. Couture - Grabovski - Kadri down the middle would be beyond incredible right now.

Our pick was used on Lars Eller. We would have had to trade up like the Sharks did to grab Couture.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site

It wasn't Couture for Toskala.

Traded 2007 first round pick (#13-Lars Eller), 2007 second round pick (#44-Aaron Palushaj), 2008 third round pick (#87-Ian Schultz) to Blues for 2007 first round pick (#9-Logan Couture) on 2007-06-22

I think we can safely say it's highly unlikely we would have picked Couture.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Wow... considering even Nuck fans are practically doubling that. Did... you want to be generous? While it's debatable if Schneider and Kessel are even on the market in any way. I'd offer what I posted elsewhere for Kessel: Schneider + Gaunce/Jensen + 1st. Another pick if Scrivens was added.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
hypothetical situation.

Let's say the Leafs fail to make the playoffs this year (but get close). Kessel is on the last year of his contract and we go into the season thinking we can sign him. Fast forward to the deadline, the leafs are in 7th place and Kessel isn't extended, and you know he likely won't stay. Do you keep him and hope for a run or trade him for futures?

Futures depending in the amount.

Keep him if we aren't getting offered enough.

Apr 1, 2010
hypothetical situation.

Guaranteed he won't stay?

Sit his ass in the press box. See how he likes that on his next contract.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Wow... considering even Nuck fans are practically doubling that. Did... you want to be generous? While it's debatable if Schneider and Kessel are even on the market in any way. I'd offer what I posted elsewhere for Kessel: Schneider + Gaunce/Jensen + 1st. Another pick if Scrivens was added.

I like Jensen as a prospect and I'd do that.

I'd toss in Scrivens for a 2nd if possible. Doesn't have to be this years

Apr 1, 2010

PLease go back to the Canucks boards and tell them Kessel is not going anywhere.

For better or worse we hung our future on him being a big part of it. And sink or swim he will be here for his next contract.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Our pick was used on Lars Eller. We would have had to trade up like the Sharks did to grab Couture.

It wasn't Couture for Toskala.

I think we can safely say it's highly unlikely we would have picked Couture.

Couture was bubbling around 10th in the pre-rankings IIRC, and although it technically was Eller that was picked with ours, the trade netted Couture in the end so it can be looked either way.

Defense

Oct 27, 2009
Is Ovechkin still untouchable?

Just speculation and a proposal guys, after watching Ovechkin tonight, although he got 1 goal on the PP he was pretty awful. It got me thinking if this guy is still untouchable. Then on the main board I read the Ovechkin trade value thread. Like I posted on the main board, he's still the face of that franchise and puts Caps fans in the rink. Basically untouchable. A coaching change or some major trades would happen before Ovy is moved. A lot of fans are proposing garbage for Ovechkin even though its true he's slumping and has an expensive lengthy contract. It got me thinking... He still is one of the most talented players in the world 27 years of age, and a change of scenery may get him going again.

Why does Washington do this? Simply because they are in last place right now 1-5-1 and have a shot to bomb for 1st OVERALL Seth Jones or Nathan MacKinnon. Ovechkin has the priciest contract in the league and his work ethic has been questionable when he is on cold streaks. This allows Washington to rebuild and have a scary future.

Why do the Leafs do this? This is Alexander Ovechkin folks. Alexander the Gr8. Won the Calder Trophy, 2 Hart Trophys, 2 Rocket Richard Trophys, and an Art Ross. In the highlight reels and the games we've seen him play, especially how he kills his slumps against us, we all know how dynamic he is! This guy has scored 50 goals or more 5 times. He would help put us in the playoffs and indeed make us a playoff team. Ovy has a nice resume, even with 59 points in 51 playoff games. Goaltending and D is still questionable but Ovy would make our forward crew set.

And don't forget folks Phil Kessel has play making skills with 45 assists last season which doesn't necessarily scream the usual sniper to me. He can make plays and Ovy can finish. If Kessel had amazing chemistry with Lupul, well why wouldn't Kessel have insane chemistry with Ovechkin? With this acquisition maybe a hot ticket item free agent of Getzlafs class may become interested in playing for the upcoming powerhouse. This move would help us get one step closer to a cup as contenders in 2-3 years if we find our number 1. Can Ovy handle the pressure in Toronto? Well if Kessel can handle Leaf fans under the scrutiny of the media, Ovechkin would do marvellous. He has seemed to strive under pressure and has shown up for big games. Even his career stats against Toronto are just solid, 42 points in 27 games including 23 goals. Ovechkin just strives under the spotlight. He would also make MLSE tonnes of money and would just kill jersey selling records.

This is my proposal for a major move. We are ready imo, to let go of some futures. With emerging Gardiner on the back end as our potential puck mover, we can afford to move 18 year old Rielly an intriguing top prospect who won't be ready for another year or 2. How many young offensive defenseman are in the top pairing around the age of 20 in the NHL right now? Gardiner when he was playing 20+ minutes last season as a rookie has shown his high hockey IQ with the brilliance of smooth skating.

This is quality and quantity together that helps solidify Washingtons prospect pool and puts their rebuild mode in full stride. Plus we take on Ovechkins cap hit of 9.5 million that Washington can save for investment. Biggs I believe would be a good piece with Tom Wilson also coming up for the Caps as tough power forwards. And Percy and our 1st round pick are other quality pieces. Don't forget Washington do have some pretty looking prospects in Filip Forsberg and Yevgeni Kuznetsov to add the equivalent of 4 1st rounders.

This is my proposal nonetheless, what do you guys think?

:caps
Morgan Rielly (5th overall 2012)
Tyler Biggs (22nd overall 2011)
Stuart Percy (25th overall 2011)
2013 1st round draft pick

:leafs
Alex Ovechkin (1st overall 2004)

FORWARDS
Joffrey Lupul ($5.250m) / Tyler Bozak ($1.500m) / Phil Kessel ($5.400m)
Alex Ovechkin ($9.538m) / Mikail Grabovski ($5.500m) / Nikolai Kulemin ($2.800m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Nazem Kadri ($0.851m) / Matt Frattin ($0.925m)
Leo Komarov ($1.200m) / Jay McClement ($1.500m) / Mike Brown ($0.737m)
Clarke MacArthur ($3.205m)

DEFENSEMEN
Mike Kostka ($0.600m) / Dion Phaneuf ($6.500m)
John-Michael Liles ($3.875m) / Carl Gunnarsson ($1.250m)
Cody Franson ($1.200m) / Jake Gardiner ($1.117m)

GOALTENDERS
James Riemer ($1.800m)
Ben Scrivens ($0.613m)

BUYOUTS
Darcy Tucker ($1.000m) / Colby Armstrong ($1.000m)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad