Speculation: 2013 Leafs Trades, Proposals, and Free Agent Talk XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
That clause is to be used in conjunction with the following:

The problem is that this year because the season is lasting longer than usual, the dates are all messed up between end of season, arbitration period, and free agency. But the gist of it is, teams have a limited time between the end of season and the start of free agency to affect compliance buyouts. To qualify, the player must have been on the Reserve List of said club as of the most-recent trade deadline.

The compliance period normally begins the latter of either June 15th or 48 hours after the playoffs end, and goes until June 30th. But this year, it starts 48 hours after the playoffs end and concludes on July 4 at 5 p.m. On July 5th, Free agency opens.

Hope this helps. Here's the link to the summary of terms if you want it:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CB...ummary_of_Terms_FINAL_-_Jan._12,_2013 (1).pdf

The bold part in the last quote, says the second buy-out period.... this would be the first no?

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Edmonton blogger:

Terry Jones posted something on Twitter yesterday indicating that Oilers GM Craig MacTavish has a stack of announcements to make...As soon as the playoffs end. Hmmm...Jones has been right about stuff like this before.

Allow me to take a few stabs at it.

1. Shawn Horcoff will be bought out. If there was a deal to be made, it would have happened already.

2. The Leafs and Oilers were talking about Ben Scrivens. Sorry to disappoint all of you hoping for Jake Gardiner. This is a "domino" of sorts. The Leafs have interest in Jonathan Bernier, and Roberto Luongo could still end up there. They'd be dumb to move Reimer, so Scrivens is the odd man out. He'd be better than anyone the Oilers have now to play backup to Dubnyk. I'm guessing a 2nd round draft pick gets him.

Any objections to Edmonton's 2nd this year for Scrivens? I'd be very much ok with this.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
The bold part in the last quote, says the second buy-out period.... this would be the first no?

Yes, but I believe that version I quoted was amended once dates were finalized on the season. That version was just the basics, I believe, but it does illustrate the limit on player buyouts not on the Reserve List of the previous TDL. That's how it works, anyway. Bit convoluted, yes... it's going to be a bloody mad rush once the playoffs end.

What's interesting is that teams won't be able to wait to see who they sign before buying players out. The player being compliance'd gets to enter FA just like all the other contract-less players.

nidnus13

Oct 29, 2010
Calgary
I asked before with no response, so I'll ask again, if we were to acquire Rick Dipietro and lets say he played lights out and became #1, do you still buy him out the next year or suffer with his contract??

NigelTufnel

Dec 3, 2010
Ottawa
I'd like to see us pick up DiPietro (along with the assets mentioned in that rumour, 15th overall and/or Reinhart) and give him the year to back up Reimer and try to prove himself then buy him out next summer. Or even keep him if he magically rebounds from his injuries and whatnot. Unlikely, but you never know.

Then trade Scrivens to Edmonton for 37th overall.

We'd still have two young goalies for next year, but we'd add picks 15 and 37. I think that gives us some real shots at stocking our cupboards up or packaging some together to move up.

Khobahi

Feb 13, 2013
Canada
Yes, but I believe that version I quoted was amended once dates were finalized on the season. That version was just the basics, I believe, but it does illustrate the limit on player buyouts not on the Reserve List of the previous TDL. That's how it works, anyway. Bit convoluted, yes... it's going to be a bloody mad rush once the playoffs end.

What's interesting is that teams won't be able to wait to see who they sign before buying players out. The player being compliance'd gets to enter FA just like all the other contract-less players.

The "Second" Buy out part is what people have been referring to wondering if people can trade and use the "First", but as you said times are all screwed up at the moment and who knows what can happen (im sure leafs management knows what they can do)

I asked before with no response, so I'll ask again, if we were to acquire Rick Dipietro and lets say he played lights out and became #1, do you still buy him out the next year or suffer with his contract??

I'd like to see us pick up DiPietro (along with the assets mentioned in that rumour, 15th overall and/or Reinhart) and give him the year to back up Reimer and try to prove himself then buy him out next summer. Or even keep him if he magically rebounds from his injuries and whatnot. Unlikely, but you never know.

Problem with this, if he gets fully injured and is still in that state at the end of the season we can't buy him out.

Asif16*

Scrivens for 2nd is all assuming we get bernier though right??? Which would then mean Reimer as our backup??

Would remier really like that?? After leading us to our first playoff appearance after how many ******* years. We are not really doing the guy justice.

Dont get me wrong though. I would love to have bernier and trading scrivens for 2nd round pick would be greatt. But reimer wouldnt like that so much would he

peety16

Apr 12, 2011
Scrivens for 2nd is all assuming we get bernier though right??? Which would then mean Reimer as our backup??

Would remier really like that?? After leading us to our first playoff appearance after how many ******* years. We are not really doing the guy justice.

Dont get me wrong though. I would love to have bernier and trading scrivens for 2nd round pick would be greatt. But reimer wouldnt like that so much would he

Why would Reimer be the back up? Right now, the starting position is his job to lose...plain and simple

NigelTufnel

Dec 3, 2010
Ottawa
The "Second" Buy out part is what people have been referring to wondering if people can trade and use the "First", but as you said times are all screwed up at the moment and who knows what can happen (im sure leafs management knows what they can do)

Problem with this, if he gets fully injured and is still in that state at the end of the season we can't buy him out.

Ah. I see. I hadn't realised that, it might not be so great a plan then after all. I guess D. Mcyntire could back up Reimer. But yeah, if you can't buy them out when injured it might be a risk to keep DiPietro for the year. Oh well.

Asif16*

Why would Reimer be the back up? Right now, the starting position is his job to lose...plain and simple

So your saying if we get bernier....he's gonna be the backup to reimer??

He wants to be the starting goalie from what ive heard. Thats the reason he wants to be traded am i right?? He would decline a trade to T.O if he is backup again

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

He wants to be the starting goalie from what ive heard. Thats the reason he wants to be traded am i right?? He would decline a trade to T.O if he is backup again

how?

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
Bernier can't decline a trade but it's not like he'd be backing up quick. Behind reimer he would still get 25-35 games. But if I was bernier I wouldn't be too thrilled about 25-35.

Asif16*

I dont know how. Im just going off of reports and articles that says he wants to be a starter. He has the numbers to prove he can be a starter i guess.

So if we made him a backup to reimer....would he really want to come here??

peety16

Apr 12, 2011

Well correct me if I'm wrong but Bernier doesn't have a no trade clause so it really doesn't matter what he thinks about the team he's getting traded too. There is no way Bernier would walk right in and take over the starting spot, he hasn't earned it in LA or anywhere else for that matter. Obviously the job would be his if he were to outplay Reimer which is more of an opportunity than LA would have offered him having re-signed Quick long term.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I dont know how. Im just going off of reports and articles that says he wants to be a starter. He has the numbers to prove he can be a starter i guess.

What he means is that he wants a chance to play for the starter's role. If he goes to a team like Montreal for example, he won't be the starter. He wants the opportunity to be the starter.

Frankly, I don't see us being in the real hunt for him - more likely just conjecture based on the previous rumours of Frattin/Brown and Tim Leiweke. Would be very surprised if we pony'd up the assets rumoured for him with Reimer in the ranks.

Maybe we flip the 2nd Edmonton gives us and someone tolerable for Bernier, but if the rumours are true that the asking price starts with a 1st round pick, then that's a big pass from us (or should be).

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
CBA rules - can't amnesty players you recently acquire. Need to wait 1 year before doing so.

This means anyone we pick up (Lecavelier, DiPietro, etc) would need to be on our roster for minimum 1 year before we amnestied them. Which could be why Nonis is rumoured to be clearing cap space with Komisarek's buyout.

Not true. Can amnesty them immediately during the regular buyout period.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I'm sure he's confident enough in his abilities to feel he could earn the job. No Team will hand him anything and even if they did he would still have to preform.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.

I'm no lawyer but here is what i understand

There are two types of "buyouts"

the regular buyout where you retain a cap hit
the amnesty buyout where this doesnt count against the cap.

there are two buyout periods. one before FA. You can trade and amnesty someone during this buyout period or you can buy them out with the regular buyout.

After that there is a second buyout period built around arbitration.
This is the period where you can trade but not amnesty that player because he was not on your trade deadline roster .

So for example Rick Dipietro

If we trade for him before July 5th we can amnesty him and buy him out. Does
not count against cap.

If we trade for him at the second buyout period we cannot anmesty him or buy him out as he was not on our trade deadline roster so he would count against the cap.

I may be wrong but this is how I think it works,

clear as mud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: