2013 IIHF World Championships-thread

SaneQ

May 14, 2012
Finland
Thought it would be nice to have one of these where we can discuss the 2013 IIHF World Championships.

At the minute it's Finland vs. Germany and Ortio is in goal for Finland. Just wanted to let you know if you guys are interested.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So the Flames involved in the WC are

Reto Berra - Switzerland
TJ Brodie - Canada
Chris Butler - USA
Jiri Hudler - Czech Republic
Joni Ortio - Finland

I think I got them all.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm so pumped for Brodie. Not saying he's going to be a superstar, but after Iginla first played for the Olympic team that transformed him and that's when he took a step in becoming an upper echelon player. There's a lot of stars on Canada, and just seeing how they approach the game and how they compete, I think will be HUGE for Brodie's development.

SaneQ

May 14, 2012
Finland
Even though this doesn't concern us, but Niederreiter got the MVP prize in Switzerland huge 3-2 win over Sweden. I'm so pissed that Baertschi isnt there. :(

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Even though Finland won, Ortio sucked in yesterday's game. I don't know if we'll see him get another start anytime soon with an extremely hot goalie in Raanta also in the roster.

Denmark - Canada 1-0, unfortunately Brodie had a front row seat on that goal...

edit: Make it 1-1

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Canada won 3-1

also the Swiss beat Sweden yesterday 3-2, Gerber was in net instead of Berra but nice to see them pull off the upset.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Sweden won 2-1 over Czech Rebulic
Finland shut out Slovakia 2-0.
Were either of our goalies playing?

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
I don't really follow Team Canada, do any of you guys on the board know why CAN has such trouble in most tournaments nowadays? Currently being dominated by the Swiss, done poorly in most WC's and WJC's the past years. Their player material is so much better than their results show. What's wrong with Team Canada?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't really follow Team Canada, do any of you guys on the board know why CAN has such trouble in most tournaments nowadays? Currently being dominated by the Swiss, done poorly in most WC's and WJC's the past years. Their player material is so much better than their results show. What's wrong with Team Canada?
Done poorly in WJC? This year was the first year Canada didn't medal since 1998. And last year was the first year Canada didn't play in the Gold Medal game since 2001. I'm sorry but this notion that 14 medals in 15 years and 10 gold or silver in 12 years is struggling needs to stop.

When it comes to the World Championships Canada "does poorly" is because the top Canadian players are either playing in the playoffs or just don't want to go to the tournament because quite frankly most Canadians see the WC as an afterthought. It just doesn't matter to most of us.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Shootout

Shot 1 - Eberle stopped by Darth Gerber.
Shot 2 - Nino stopped by Smith

0-0

Shot 3 - Giroux stopped by Darth Gerber
Shot 4 - Souri scores on Smith

1-0 Switzerland

Shot 5 - Duchene scores on Gerber to keep Canada alive
Shot 6 - Gardiner stopped by Smith

1-1 - Extra shooters

Shot 7 - Martin Kluss stopped by Smith (in extra shooters they swap which team shoots first)
Shot 8 - Stamkos stopped by Gerber

still 1-1

Shot 9 - Smith stops Ambuhl
Shot 10 - Duchene shoots again and is stopped

Still 1-1

Shot 11 - Holinstein stopped by Smith
Shot 12 - Eberle shooting again - stopped again by Gerber

Shot 13 - Boterman stopped by Smith
Shot 14 - Matt Read stopped easily by Gerber

Shot 15 - Reto Souri scores again 2-1 Swiss
Shot 16 - Duchene again..... STOPPED

Switzerland upsets Canada 3-2

Only the 2nd win ever by the Swiss against Canada.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad