2013 FA Targets

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
That's what they said about Hudler. Reuniting them on the same line would be sexy.

The difference is Flip is used in better situation and isn't stuck in the dog house like Hudler was. Personally I don't think Flippula is anything more than an average 2nd line center at best mean while I think Roy is above average and Weiss could be more in a better situation.

Northern Neighbour

Feb 27, 2008
somewhere south of the equator
With Kipper announcing his retirement, the Flames will have $29M in cap space. Obviously, some of that cap space will be taken up by either Ramo or Berra plus likely another goaltender.

My FA targets are:
- Jarome Iginla - 2 years, $10M. Bring the captain home (assuming he wants to come back).

- David Clarkson - 5 years, $22.5M. He's 29 years old, plays a solid two-way, gritty game, and has some skill.

- Raffi Torres - 1 year, $2M. Can be a 4th-line agitator.

- David Steckel - 1 year, $1M. Faceoff man.

- Mike Ribeiro - 3 years, $16.5M. He's older than Bozak and Roy, but he's closer to being a #1 centre than either of those 2 players and he might get similar money on a shorter term.

- Ryan O'Byrne - 2 years, $3M. Bottom-pairing defenceman with size and plays with a bit of sandpaper.

- Ray Emery - 2 years, $6M. I think he and Ramo would be a great tandem next year.

Hopefully the Flames land the #1 pick and they take Seth Jones.

Deal Stempniak and Cammalleri for picks at the draft or to move up in the draft.

Tanguay - Ribeiro - Iginla
Baertschi - Backlund - Clarkson
Glencross - Stajan - Hudler
Torres - Steckel - Jackman

Giordano - Jones
Butler - Wideman
Brodie - O'Byrne

Ramo
Emery

Thumper17

Jun 27, 2011
With Kipper announcing his retirement, the Flames will have $29M in cap space. Obviously, some of that cap space will be taken up by either Ramo or Berra plus likely another goaltender.

My FA targets are:
- Jarome Iginla - 2 years, $10M. Bring the captain home (assuming he wants to come back).

- David Clarkson - 5 years, $22.5M. He's 29 years old, plays a solid two-way, gritty game, and has some skill.

- Mike Ribeiro - 3 years, $16.5M. He's older than Bozak and Roy, but he's closer to being a #1 centre than either of those 2 players and he might get similar money on a shorter term.

- Ryan O'Byrne - 2 years, $3M. Bottom-pairing defenceman with size and plays with a bit of sandpaper.

- Ray Emery - 2 years, $6M. I think he and Ramo would be a great tandem next year.

Deal Stempniak and Cammalleri for picks at the draft or to move up in the draft.

Giordano - Jones
Butler - Wideman
Brodie - O'Byrne

Ramo
Emery

You misspelled Nathan Mackinnon.

I don't want to see anyone north if 30 added to this team in the next 5 years apart from Iggy.

Ideally next year.

Tanguay - Backlund - Iginla
Baertschi - Mackinnon - 2013 1st Rounder/Horak
McGrattan - Begin - Jackman

Giordano - 1st round 2013
Butler - Wideman
Brodie - Hanowski

Ramo
Emery

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012
Tanguay Mackinnon Iginla
Baertschi Backlund Cammy
Glencross Hudler Clarkson*
BmaC Steckle* Jackman/Horak/Cooke*

Giordano Brodie
Wideman Ference*
Obyrne* Butler

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I just want to make sure we have the toughest line-up to protect Baertschi, Brodie, Backlund, and whoever else we draft (MacKinnon.. Jones can take care of himself). Re-up Gratz.. Sign Andrew Ference, Doug Murry, Raffi Torres.

If we're gonna lose/rebuild, I at least want to see us hit/beat the **** out of the opponent most nights. :)

Gio - Brodie
Wide - Ference
Murray - Smith

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door

My FA targets are:

Giordano - Jones
Butler - Wideman
Brodie - O'Byrne

Ramo
Emery
Really? You would be willing to pay a 4th liner $2M?

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Filpulla and Horton are who we have to target.

Roy or ribero we should try for one...

And we should do just about anything to target a good D-Man via trade cause we're so boned on the back end right now.

Then play mackinnon lots with baert.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
Not sure why filp would leave Detroit given his playing situation and come to Calgary...

Horton is overrated. If anything we need Weiss and clarkson, but he and Lou have a good relationship so he'll re-sign.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Not sure why filp would leave Detroit given his playing situation and come to Calgary...

Horton is overrated. If anything we need Weiss and clarkson, but he and Lou have a good relationship so he'll re-sign.

Depends on what you think he is, I see him as a 20+ goal scoring 2nd liner that can play physically and be intimidating. I wouldn't mind Clarkson he is basically a poor mans GlenX.

I would love to get Roy/Wiess and 2 of Horton/Clarkson/Clowe and Murray and move Cammy + Bryon/Nemisz for Michalek (D) + Runblad/Goncharov

Tangs - Weiss - Horton
Hudler - Backlund - Stempniak
GlenX - Stajan - Clarkson
Aliu - Bomua - McGrattan

Brodie - Michalek
Gio - Wideman
Murray - Butler

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
People do realize the only way we're gonna get any UFA's this summer is via overpayment right?

That being said, these are the guys I like. I don't want to rush any guys that aren't ready.

Ryder
Iggy
Bozak
Weiss (doubt he goes to another rebuilding team)
Riberio (wants 5 plus years, again doubtful going to a rebuild)
Roy
Raymond (local boy!)
MacArthur
Bickell
Stalberg
Filpula
Latendresse
Nystrom (never wanted him to leave)

In my opinion this years UFA defense crop under 34ish is atrocious. If we want to upgrade the D it's gonna have to be via trade.

Zoombie

Oct 28, 2011
NJ re-signs Clarkson for sure, otherwise I'd be glad to pay him.
I don't like Ribeiro but I agree we need a C, I'd rather take my chances with Bozak and hope he and Backlund can handle the top 6.
Stalberg and any other half decent UFA D-men because our D is incredibly thin.
Maybe Bickell, and Raymond.

Lifeline

Jan 31, 2013
Winnipeg
I'd love to see us get Torres, imagine a fourth line of Torres-Begin-Mcgrattan. The one thing I'd be worried about Weiss is our bad luck of taking Florida's top players and turning them into mediocre players, aka Bouwmeester, and Olli.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
NJ re-signs Clarkson for sure, otherwise I'd be glad to pay him.
I don't like Ribeiro but I agree we need a C, I'd rather take my chances with Bozak and hope he and Backlund can handle the top 6.
Stalberg and any other half decent UFA D-men because our D is incredibly thin.
Maybe Bickell, and Raymond.

According to Mckenzie, the Clarkson camp and the NJD have not even talked about an extension.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Filpula and Clarkson. I'd also take Nystrom back, he's a good character guy and would be a good bottom 6 addition during a rebuild.

Does anyone want Cervenka back? I do..

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
I'd love to see us get Torres, imagine a fourth line of Torres-Begin-Mcgrattan. The one thing I'd be worried about Weiss is our bad luck of taking Florida's top players and turning them into mediocre players, aka Bouwmeester, and Olli.

Olli was losing his touch before he came here, not to mention we got him (directly) from Phoenix.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Filpula and Clarkson. I'd also take Nystrom back, he's a good character guy and would be a good bottom 6 addition during a rebuild.

Does anyone want Cervenka back? I do..

Depends on who gets to UFA and who we draft, if get a big physical center that can play next year then yes and have Hudler and Cervenka play with him. (Ideally Barkov but he has military service) but
Hudler - Barkov - Cervenka could be a real good line.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The Flames should, above all else, target size and grit in free agency. That's why I'd go with Ribeiro over Weiss and throw everything at Clarkson (if he makes to FA) or Horton. For smaller acquisitions, someone like Petteri Nokelainen (27 year old centre who's good at faceoffs), Matt Hendricks or Eric Nystrom.

I don't have a problem with Cervenka, but I don't see a place for him at wing going forward. Not unless one of Tanguay or Cammalleri are moved. He's too much of a redundant piece with Hudler, Baertschi, Tanguay and Cammalleri already on the wings.

And if the Flames hope to be even remotely respectable next season, they'd be wise to trade for a top-four defensive defensemen.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
The Flames should, above all else, target size and grit in free agency. That's why I'd go with Ribeiro over Weiss and throw everything at Clarkson (if he makes to FA) or Horton. For smaller acquisitions, someone like Petteri Nokelainen (27 year old centre who's good at faceoffs), Matt Hendricks or Eric Nystrom.

And if the Flames hope to be even remotely respectable next season, they'd be wise to trade for a top-four defensive defensemen.

What do you think of Michalek from PHX? Maybe something around him for Cammy could work for both teams. PHX gets their offensive player and Calgary gets a top 4 defenseman.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
What do you think of Michalek from PHX? Maybe something around him for Cammy could work for both teams. PHX gets their offensive player and Calgary gets a top 4 defenseman.

I would definitely do that. Michalek would be a very solid acquisition for the top-four.

But odds are Cammalleri has Phoenix on his NTC list. And who knows what happens with them with regards to relocation/ownership. Oh and Cammalleri's real salary is 7M next season, so unless the Phoenix situation is resolved, they'd definitely ask the Flames to retain some salary and we know that won't happen.

I could see them going after someone like Volchenkov off of the Devils if they're looking to move him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad