2013 FA Targets

Northern Neighbour

Feb 27, 2008
somewhere south of the equator
The club right now has nearly $24M in cap space and could have more if they deal Kiprusoff and others. Who are some likely FA targets for the club?

I think Feaster will target FAs with size and skill. He'll also likely be in the market for a defenceman, although this year's FA crop is really poor. Feaster could also dabble for a goaltender if both Ramo and Berra don't come over and Kiprusoff is moved.

If Feaster is retained, I think his top FA targets will be:

David Clarkson - Tough, skilled winger who is also a US collegiate.

Nathan Horton - A bit of an enigma, but he's only 27 and has a good mix of size, speed, skill, and toughness.

Eric Fehr - Could be a good, affordable 3rd-line winger.

Mike Ribeiro - The search for the #1 centre continues. Now if the Flames draft Mackinnon, then I don't think the club goes after Ribeiro.

Tyler Bozak - If the Flames don't sign Ribeiro and given Feaster attempted to sign O'Reilly, Bozak seems to be a likely target.

Derek Roy - Another possible centre candidate.

Jimmy Howard - The best available goaltender in FA and he could cost a ton. I think he re-ups with the Wings, but if he hits FA I think the Flames will make an aggressive pitch to sign the American-born goalie.

Ray Emery - If Ramo comes over, I think Emery becomes the top goaltender target, as he'll be cheaper to sign ($3M annually IMO) than Howard. An Emery-Ramo duel could be really intriguing.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
There's no way Feaster should still be employed once the season ends.

In addition, expect to overpay significantly for any free agents. When it comes down to a team that has the chance to win and one that's about the enter a longterm rebuild, the only thing that can a decision is a whole lot of money and/or term.

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012
I think we target Clarkson , Bozak, Flip but there a chance that none of these guys become UFA but this is what we need

Top 6 grit/skilled player
top 4 D
top 6 D
Bottom 6 Grit
C

flamer4life

Feb 22, 2012
Cowtown
The club right now has nearly $24M in cap space and could have more if they deal Kiprusoff and others. Who are some likely FA targets for the club?

I think Feaster will target FAs with size and skill. He'll also likely be in the market for a defenceman, although this year's FA crop is really poor. Feaster could also dabble for a goaltender if both Ramo and Berra don't come over and Kiprusoff is moved.

Nathan Horton - A bit of an enigma, but he's only 27 and has a good mix of size, speed, skill, and toughness.

Mike Ribeiro - The search for the #1 centre continues. Now if the Flames draft Mackinnon, then I don't think the club goes after Ribeiro.

Tyler Bozak - If the Flames don't sign Ribeiro and given Feaster attempted to sign O'Reilly, Bozak seems to be a likely target.

Jimmy Howard - The best available goaltender in FA and he could cost a ton. I think he re-ups with the Wings, but if he hits FA I think the Flames will make an aggressive pitch to sign the American-born goalie.

Ray Emery - If Ramo comes over, I think Emery becomes the top goaltender target, as he'll be cheaper to sign ($3M annually IMO) than Howard. An Emery-Ramo duel could be really intriguing.

You forgot Iggy

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
I think Bozak will be targeted. But its tough to say what we can attract here with the position this team will be in. I guess well see how the draft goes. I would love Clarkson but can't see him ending up here.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Clarkson, Bozak, and Weiss would all be very nice targets. I also would mind letting Jackman and Begin going, and bringing in one more bruiser. If we are gonna have Baertschi, MacKinnon(I hope) playing top 6, I want them protected.

I just really hope King, Feaster, and Hartley are relieved of their duties, and leadership changes from top to bottom.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Clarkson, Bozak, and Weiss would all be very nice targets. I also would mind letting Jackman and Begin going, and bringing in one more bruiser. If we are gonna have Baertschi, MacKinnon(I hope) playing top 6, I want them protected.

I just really hope King, Feaster, and Hartley are relieved of their duties, and leadership changes from top to bottom.

I agree with King and Feaster but I think we should give Hartley more time. Not like he could do much with the team he was handed this year.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

Don't hold your breath. Ownership isn't going to let them dismantle the team just to fire them.

Besides, isn't a rebuild what everyone's been clamoring for? This is it. It's just that Feaster's going to try and do it in one year, instead of three or four.

TylerSVT*

Whoever we get, please for the love of god, dont sign long term, dont overpay, and DONT GIVE THAT PLAYER A NMC/NTC

The Hendog

Apr 20, 2012
Calgary
According to Sportsnet Roy will be seeking $6M/year on his UFA contract this summer
This is why the Flames shouldn't go after him
That is a lot of money for a 2nd line center in my opion

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
According to Sportsnet Roy will be seeking $6M/year on his UFA contract this summer
This is why the Flames shouldn't go after him
That is a lot of money for a 2nd line center in my opion

Who cares we it will most likely be on a 3 year deal so when it ends we will have prospects to take over until then we don't rush anyone. Flip will be looking for a big pay day as well but Roy is a much more consistent player.

AfricanHerbsman

May 4, 2010

Ray Emery
- If Ramo comes over, I think Emery becomes the top goaltender target, as he'll be cheaper to sign ($3M annually IMO) than Howard. An Emery-Ramo duel could be really intriguing.

these guys I think are guys the flames should go after and probably get. clarkson for toughness cuz the fumes are soft. emery to push ramo bozak cuz we blow at centre. and horton is young and a RW if memory serves. all things the flames could use next year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Stephen Weiss
Agreed.

Weiss plays both ends of the ice very well, he will kill penalties and win faceoffs for you.

The Flames also need to get some guys that are harder to play against. Guys like (in varying roles) Ryan Clowe, David Clarkson, Guillaume Latendresse, Ryan Jones & Eric Nystrom.

I would also go after some underachievers that are free agents and sign them to short term deals hoping to find someone who just needs the right situation. Guys like Ty Wishart, Kyle Chipchura, Eric Fehr and Anthony Stewart.

A physical defenseman would be nice too, but maybe that could be Cundari by the sounds of it.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Iggy, Riberio and Roy. Im ****ing sick of this clubs lack of center depth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad