2013 FA Targets

trckrdr

Jan 31, 2013
What do you think of Michalek from PHX? Maybe something around him for Cammy could work for both teams. PHX gets their offensive player and Calgary gets a top 4 defenseman.

I'd prefer a younger defenseman, but would do this if it turned out to be the best option available.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I would definitely do that. Michalek would be a very solid acquisition for the top-four.

But odds are Cammalleri has Phoenix on his NTC list. And who knows what happens with them with regards to relocation/ownership. Oh and Cammalleri's real salary is 7M next season, so unless the Phoenix situation is resolved, they'd definitely ask the Flames to retain some salary and we know that won't happen.

I could see them going after someone like Volchenkov off of the Devils if they're looking to move him.

NO! He cannot skate anymore he is at best a #5 defenseman.

I wonder if (as a thought expirement) we kept half of Cammy's cap and salary PHX would do Michalek + Runblad.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I would definitely do that. Michalek would be a very solid acquisition for the top-four.

But odds are Cammalleri has Phoenix on his NTC list. And who knows what happens with them with regards to relocation/ownership. Oh and Cammalleri's real salary is 7M next season, so unless the Phoenix situation is resolved, they'd definitely ask the Flames to retain some salary and we know that won't happen.

I could see them going after someone like Volchenkov off of the Devils if they're looking to move him.

I think this is a very realistic possibility and one that I can see happening with the cap going down. Perhaps something around a Sarich for Volchenkov swap could work. Also, the Devils have Larsson who is going to have a prominent role on that team next year, they will need to clear room for him.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I think this is a very realistic possibility and one that I can see happening with the cap going down. Perhaps something around a Sarich for Volchenkov swap could work. Also, the Devils have Larsson who is going to have a prominent role on that team next year, they will need to clear room for him.

Good god I hope not. Have you guys seen the Devils at all this year or last year? Volychenkov is there #6/#7 defenseman and makes 4.25 for 3 more years. That contract is terrible.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
NO! He cannot skate anymore he is at best a #5 defenseman.

I wonder if (as a thought expirement) we kept half of Cammy's cap and salary PHX would do Michalek + Runblad.

Doubt it. Especially with Feaster or Weisbrod at the helm. Maloney's the guy that managed to get more than the expected return for a holdout in Turris. Even though Turris publicly asked out and then proceed to hold out for the first month of the regular season, and everyone knew Maloney had to trade him, he still managed to snag Rundblad+2nd rounder. Even though he had no leverage, he found a way to create some - the Flames would get worked over in any trade with Phoenix.

I'm not a fan of the current Volcenkov either, but he could be someone the Flames go after, as they mentioned they'd look into salary cap casualties in the off season.

Looking at the free agent list, there's Hainsey, Murray, Scuderi, OByrne, and Fistric who could be targets. None of them are particularly good, but they be serviceable at best. Scuderi, having already won a couple of cups, might be looking for one last big pay day - could be someone the Flames should look at.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Doubt it. Especially with Feaster or Weisbrod at the helm. Maloney's the guy that managed to get more than the expected return for a holdout in Turris. Even though Turris publicly asked out and then proceed to hold out for the first month of the regular season, and everyone knew Maloney had to trade him, he still managed to snag Rundblad+2nd rounder. Even though he had no leverage, he found a way to create some - the Flames would get worked over in any trade with Phoenix.

I'm not a fan of the current Volcenkov either, but he could be someone the Flames go after, as they mentioned they'd look into salary cap casualties in the off season.

Looking at the free agent list, there's Hainsey, Murray, Scuderi, OByrne, and Fistric who could be targets. None of them are particularly good, but they be serviceable at best. Scuderi, having already won a couple of cups, might be looking for one last big pay day - could be someone the Flames should look at.

I would rather move Cammy + Pitt first for Runblad + Michalek or play Breen over getting Volcenkov and that terrible contract.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I would rather move Cammy + Pitt first for Runblad + Michalek or play Breen over getting Volcenkov and that terrible contract.

I don't think contracts are a big concern anymore. With Kipper likely retiring at the end of this season, the Flames will have almost 30M in cap space.

Looking around, there's not many viable trade options either. The Flames should just throw a lot at Scuderi.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I don't think contracts are a big concern anymore. With Kipper likely retiring at the end of this season, the Flames will have almost 30M in cap space.

Looking around, there's not many viable trade options either. The Flames should just throw a lot at Scuderi.

I don't think he will be an nhl defenseman in another year and given ownership we will either have to play him for 2 years or trade him so another team buys him out and I want to do neither. I would trade for Ballard before I thought of Voly.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Yeah, like I said, I'm not particularly a fan of Volchenkov, but I could see the Flames looking at him. Sarich in a straight up swap would be acceptable. Nothing more than that though.

I don't think he will be an nhl defenseman in another year and given ownership we will either have to play him for 2 years or trade him so another team buys him out and I want to do neither. I would trade for Ballard before I thought of Voly.

Has Scuderi been that bad?

Ballard doesn't fit the mold of what the Flames should be looking for. He's a puck mover and the Flames have enough of those.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Yeah, like I said, I'm not particularly a fan of Volchenkov, but I could see the Flames looking at him. Sarich in a straight up swap would be acceptable. Nothing more than that though.

Has Scuderi been that bad?

Ballard doesn't fit the mold of what the Flames should be looking for. He's a puck mover and the Flames have enough of those.

Ballard has become more physical then he use to be, I would like to sign Scuderi, my point was I would rather help Van in there cap troubles then bring in Voly.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
I would like to get a guy like Bud Holloway. He will be a UFA this off season as his rights with LA expire. Things never worked out and he bolted to Sweden where he has played great. Complete player with great leadership qualities.

Also would love Fistric. I wanted him this season and was pissed the Oilers got him. Hopefully the Oilers keep scratching him as he will most likely leave to get more ice time else where.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I would like to get a guy like Bud Holloway. He will be a UFA this off season as his rights with LA expire. Things never worked out and he bolted to Sweden where he has played great. Complete player with great leadership qualities.

Also would love Fistric. I wanted him this season and was pissed the Oilers got him. Hopefully the Oilers keep scratching him as he will most likely leave to get more ice time else where.

Agreed I would love Holloway he is exactly what we need and could be a RW version of Gio.

Aug 3, 2010

I've never heard of him but I don't follow too many junior players/players outside the NHL. What's his scouting report like?

Aug 3, 2010
Thanks!

I'm... kind of sold on him. 25 years old, entering his prime, from Saskatchewan (local boy, maybe he can find some chemistry with the likes of Glencross) and is over PPG in the SEL is a pretty good player to offer a contract to me.

Too bad there's 28 (not including the Kings) other teams with eyes on him I bet but one can hope...

Also, have to like his name. Makes me thing Hollywood is a good nickname... wonder if that's why LA drafted him. :sarcasm:?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Thanks!

I'm... kind of sold on him. 25 years old, entering his prime, from Saskatchewan (local boy, maybe he can find some chemistry with the likes of Glencross) and is over PPG in the SEL is a pretty good player to offer a contract to me.

Too bad there's 28 (not including the Kings) other teams with eyes on him I bet but one can hope...

Unlike almost every other team we have a massive hole in the top 6 RW. I have wanted to get him for a while he would fit perfectly with GlenX.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
There are not really any kind of good D-Men out this year.
It sucks, but I think that's the nature of the NHL. You have to groom them at home.

Cammy + the Pittsburgh or Blue (whoever finishes better) might be enough to get pretty much any Dman out of the A+ tier (we know who we're talking about here, Ottawa, Nashville and St. Louis do) to Calgary.

If we're unwilling to part with that first, which I would support, have to at least get one high end prospect, there's a Russian and Fin in the top 10-15 that look like they're going to be mega high end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad