2013 Draft

TheClassicK*

The same kind of offensive success? I don't know, Monahan is one of my favourites but it's hard to say he'll be as dynamic offensively as Seguin and put up the same number of points.

The number of +80-point producers are significantly lower than there were 4-5 years ago. Seguin did finish 4th in the league, and that's still amazing even considering he had Jamie Benn on his line.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
The same kind of offensive success? I don't know, Monahan is one of my favourites but it's hard to say he'll be as dynamic offensively as Seguin and put up the same number of points.

The number of +80-point producers are significantly lower than there were 4-5 years ago. Seguin did finish 4th in the league, and that's still amazing even considering he had Jamie Benn on his line.

Yeah but assuming he has some 60 point seasons in him, which isn't a huge stretch per say, then the difference between 60 points with good defense and leadership vs 80 points, less defense etc. I'm tempted to still lean towards Monahan.

Then throw in Gaudreau who could become a first liner in his own right...

TheClassicK*

Yeah but assuming he has some 60 point seasons in him, which isn't a huge stretch per say, then the difference between 60 points with good defense and leadership vs 80 points, less defense etc. I'm tempted to still lean towards Monahan.

Then throw in Gaudreau who could become a first liner in his own right...

I know, I'd still keep Monahan over Seguin.

Abbotsford Heat said Monahan will be more valuable than Seguin alone, but I guess the difference in opinion would lie in the question - Who do you value more, a secondary producer who offers defence and leadership or an elite first-line producer.

It's hard to say because we haven't had an elite first-line producer for a decade other than Iggy or Cammy (for a season), but I think an elite first-liner who logs up +75 points every season is more valuable.

That being said, I still wouldn't want to start the rebuild with a player like Seguin because that's exactly what the Oilers did with Hall and RNH, and they lacked a secondary producer who offered solid defensive play and leadership. So I think the rebuild is taking a different step from the Oilers by starting with a player like Monahan, but we would still need to add those high-calibre 1st line talent to be a playoff team.

DoubleJ96

Aug 23, 2006
Winnipeg
I'm happy with all 3 first rounders. Kanzig as a third was a bad pick then and it's still a bad pick. I was happy with Eric Roy as a 5th but from reading the other posts here it seems that it might not have been so great. John Gilmour as a 7th could still be an okay pick. Hard to screw up a 7th in my opinion, lots of times you are taking a chance at that point.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Unsure as to why there's so much Kanzig hate on our forum?
Third rounders are rarely sure-fire NHLers. In Kanzig you already have someone that should be solid in the AHL in the next couple seasons, and has a ceiling high enough to be a high end shutdown Dman.

Anything outside of the first round, is still so far up in the air. I make the same picks; because I think they're all smart picks outside of maybe Harrison; because I don't think he's even an AHL type player at this time... or ever.

The first round was dynamite. Kanzig, Roy, Rushan and Gilmour are all absolutely strong picks at that range of the draft.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Third rounders are rarely sure-fire NHLers. In Kanzig you already have someone that should be solid in the AHL in the next couple seasons, and has a ceiling high enough to be a high end shutdown Dman.

Anything outside of the first round, is still so far up in the air. I make the same picks; because I think they're all smart picks outside of maybe Harrison; because I don't think he's even an AHL type player at this time... or ever.

The first round was dynamite. Kanzig, Roy, Rushan and Gilmour are all absolutely strong picks at that range of the draft.

I'm not so sure about the Tim Harrison pick being that bad, either. If I was impressed by the play of any one particular player during dev. camp last year, it was Tim Harrison. I see him ending up as a better version of Tim Jackman (back when he was good).

We've only seen him in that one instance. We don't really have any idea what kind of role he was given at Colgate or what kind of style they wanted him to play. That one time we've seen him play, I think he showed a lot of good things, so in my opinion he absolutely deserves our patience.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

I agree with you 100% on Kanzig. People are so obsessed with offensive numbers and his size that they assume he is poor skating and make poor decisions with the puck. Neither of which are true if you listen to comments from coaches or scouts.

I'm not so sure about the Tim Harrison pick being that bad, either. If I was impressed by the play of any one particular player during dev. camp last year, it was Tim Harrison. I see him ending up as a better version of Tim Jackman (back when he was good).

We've only seen him in that one instance. We don't really have any idea what kind of role he was given at Colgate or what kind of style they wanted him to play. That one time we've seen him play, I think he showed a lot of good things, so in my opinion he absolutely deserves our patience.
I agree with all of this. I'm guilty of stats watching with Harrison to be honest, I look at his 5 points and forget that
(A) He was a freshman on a fairly strong team and still managed to be in the line-up for the vast majority of his teams games.
(B) He likely played 4th line role with limited ice-time, so his 5 points in 34 games is not nearly as bad as it sounds.
And (C) being a bit down on the Harrison pick makes me a hypocrite since I spend so much time defending Jankowski.​

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad