2013 Draft

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
First round was spot on; I wouldn't change a thing.

Nick Baptiste over Keegan Kanzig. I understand Kanzig is a project, but even defensive defensemen put up points at the junior level. The odds are big time stacked against Kanzig. Nick Baptiste is a right shot, right winger and has seen his offensive production skyrocket. I would rather have drafted him at the draft last year and that feeling hasn't changed.

I can't speak too much for the other picks but... Tim Harrison but up 5 points in 34 games with Union College as a nineteen year old freshman. Yikes! The scout that supposedly fought like hell to get him on the list probably has a lot to answer for.

TheClassicK*

First round was spot on; I wouldn't change a thing.

Nick Baptiste over Keegan Kanzig. I understand Kanzig is a project, but even defensive defensemen put up points at the junior level. The odds are big time stacked against Kanzig. Nick Baptiste is a right shot, right winger and has seen his offensive production skyrocket. I would rather have drafted him at the draft last year and that feeling hasn't changed.

I can't speak too much for the other picks but... Tim Harrison but up 5 points in 34 games with Union College as a nineteen year old freshman. Yikes! The scout that supposedly fought like hell to get him on the list probably has a lot to answer for.
I think Kanzig was too high of a pick at 67. I think we could've spent it on an offensive defenseman but it looks like there weren't many available by then. There still was Anthony Duclair available, and he tore up the Q this season. Edmonton's 3rd round pick Bogdan Yakimov was just signed on an ELC today, he looks like a really good center for their future, a towering pivot with a great two-way style of play.

I agree with Harrison too. Watching some of the scrimmages in development camp, he looked to really lack skill. Hoping we risked it on CHL players like Greg Chase, a Hitmen drafted by the Oilers again, and he led them in points this season.

Can't complain about Eric Roy though, I think he's a pretty good pick at round 5.

May 27, 2012
Earth
If anything switching Roy(with the 3rd) and Kanzig(with the 5th)would have been ideal, but I got over it. Whats done is done. Only time will tell.

Mar 1, 2013
Toronto
Wouldn't touch Kanzig with a 12 foot poll. Shinkaruks year was pretty much a write off because of injuries, and I still believe he's the better prospect. That being said I don't know the guy, and wasn't present in the interviews. So I'll trust that the rumours about his attitude problems are true, so I'd still probably do the Poirier pick. I'd consider a few players over Klimchuk still, but nothing glaringly obvious. Was always a big Zykov, Hagg, and Compher fan who were all drafted after Klimchik.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Trading the Klimchuk pick for Montreals 2 2nds, drafting Zykov and Santini might not have been a bad move...that being said, time will tell. I probably would have smashed the TV if we made that deal at the draft. In the end I think we made solid picks. Maybe Theodore over Poirier but still too early to tell.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
I'm a big Klimchuk fan, since about a year before he was drafted when I saw a televised Regina game. I didn't think we'd end up with 3 1sts, so I always thought it was a bummer that we probably wouldn't be able to get him.

I also really like the Kanzig pick. He has two things you can't teach; size and work ethic. His game has improved by leaps and bounds (skating especially), and it will continue to with the way that he's dedicated. It's possible that he does improve on his scoring touch, and even if not, he's a top shutdown guy in the WHL. If he can clear creases on the 3rd pair, while beating the crap outta anyone that messes with our smaller guys, that's not bad at all for a 3rd round pick.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
I met Morgan at Rampage a few times. I knew he played hockey, but I thought he played bush league LOL.

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
would you do the Seguin for Monahan + Gaudreau?

It's a toss up, some days i'd rather Monny and Johnny lead the charge for a few years... but there is something very interesting about bringing the Taylor vs Tyler argument back full time during the BoA which would be extremely heated in the next few years. Plus he'd be the best center we've had since Niewendyk.

TheClassicK*

Imagine if we did trade that 6th overall for Seguin as rumoured before the draft though.

Seguin's a fantastic fit beside Benn and the main influence for each others' ~80 pts seasons so I wouldn't do that trade.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I would probably go with Seguin. Not that I wouldn't want Monahan and Gaudreau the team would have been a lot more successful this season. Who knows? Maybe Cammy could have it 30+ goals. There is also video of both of them working out with each other. The would have been comfortable with another.

The factor really would have been Gaudreau, he still is actually. Until we see a full season from and in 4+ years than we can determine if it was the good/bad decision. Happy with both outcomes really.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I will look back at the 2013 draft.

6th overall - Sean Monahan
I loved the pick then, still love it now. I think when it's all said and done that Monahan will be a top 3 player in the 2013 draft.

22nd overall - Emile Poirier
I was unsure of the pick at the time and as time has passed I have learned to like it a lot. Poirier has some good upside I think he could end up a solid pest like performer in the mold of a Marchand.

28th overall - Morgan Klimchuk
I liked the pick then and I still do now. Especially after seeing Morgan play live. Watching him in the offensive zone reminded me of Iginla in how he was always moving to find the open areas with ease. His 2-way game was also incredible.

67th overall - Keegan Kanzig
I wasn't a fan of the pick initially. I couldn't help but wonder why we picked a goon in the 3rd round. But the more I have learned, the more I like the pick. He plays top defensive minutes with little to no PP time, he defends his teammates and is said to have a good hockey IQ by people that see him often.

135th overall - Eric Roy
I was initially excited about drafting Roy since he was ranked so much higher a year before, but as time has passed I don't think he will ever be an NHL player. He's a trainwreck defensively and I think his only chance is to be converted to a winger.

157th overall - Tim Harrison
This was the big "what the f……" pick, no one knew who he was, many still don't. The story goes that Flames scout Frank Anzalone was so insistent than Harrison would be a player that Button, Weisbrod and Feaster gave him the pick in the 6th round to pick his guy. Since he was a late round pick, I will give him time to prove himself.

187th overall - Rushan Rafikov
Didn't like the pick then. Still do not like it. I just have no faith in Russian players and when I watched him play with the Russian Selects in the Subway Super Series. I would have much rather risked a pick on Axel Blomqvist a 6'6 Swedish RW that was playing for the Lethbridge Hurricanes last season.

198th overall - John Gilmour
I wasn't a fan of picking a 19 year old undersized defenseman. But he was one of the best players on a young Providence team this year. He led all defensemen on the team in points. He's looking better than I thought he would.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I will look back at the 2013 draft.

Forgive me for stealing your format but I think you have the best way of going through each pick and looking at it.

6th overall - Sean Monahan

Loved the pick, my hope was for Lindholm because of the offensive potential but with him off the board Monahan was the exact pick we needed and has shown nothing but great character and incredible NHL vision&skill since the draft and now has me convinced he's the better pick of the 2 centres.

22nd overall - Emile Poirier

My hope was Josh Morissey but the Jets seem to always reach for the guys I like.
This will always be a Hunter vs Emile pick which luckily with Hunter injured all season we haven't had to deal with too much crap. Right now I'm very happy with the pick I think Calgary has an NHL player and his ceiling might be complimenting other players on a top line.

28th overall - Morgan Klimchuk

My hope was Klimchuk he's smart offensively, he's smart defensively, he can shoot the puck, he can pass the puck, and he skates well.
If he was over 6' he would have been a top 20 pick instead he's going to be a bit of a project where he'll need to get very strong on his skates and be ready to go after guys that are bigger than he is (like Sven - which is one thing I love about his progress) I think he can do it and that we'll have a great pick on our hands.

67th overall - Keegan Kanzig

I don't like this pick. I did at the time cause taking a chance on smart players with tremendous physical attributes is not bad after the top 60 picks but watching how he is used in Victoria all they let him do is shove scrums away from his goalie. No offensive time, no ice time in the last 2 minutes of a game. Would have rather'ed to try and trade up for Heatherington or grabbing Cassels

135th overall - Eric Roy

Here's where I really wanted Greg Chase. Really really wanted Greg Chase and with Roy falling he wasn't a bad gamble after your first 3-4 picks I love going for 1st round talents with a hole that sees them drop as sometimes you get a Saad but other times you may get an Eric Roy. Hopefully he turns it around but right now I'm not seeing an NHL player.

157th overall - Tim Harrison

Greg Chase is still on the board some team is going to get a great pick...
That said Harrison was a very solid pick in the 6th round and I have nothing against it other than who it was not.

187th overall - Rushan Rafikov

Greg Chase is still on the board lets pick a Russian who will never stay over in North America. Rafikov has Stralman potential that he will likely never reach and even less likely as he will never see an Flames/Heat coach. 188th Edmonton - Chase best forward in their prospect camp by far

198th overall - John Gilmour

7th Round and we got a decent prospect I had no idea who I wanted at this point but in the most rando part of the crapshoot landing a guy like Gilmour is a win

Last edited:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Our 3 1st rounders and 3rd rounderwere great picks.

Monahan - already NHL ready, can't say enough about him, already has captain potential. Wouldn't be surprised if he's the captain once Gio retires (which isn't in a short while).

Poirier - Can't believe he was projected to be drafted 45, 46th in the draft. Was quite the steal, because I remembered a rumor Montreal was going to take him

Klimchuk - We won't regret this pick in a few years, he has so much upside. Seems like that sniper that we could use on Monny's/our 4th OA's line in the future

Kanzig - Could see him in the bottom 5/6 in a few years, has a lot more upside than Breen does, which is a good thing considering our defensive depth isn't that great.

The other picks still need time.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
No. I think Monahan is going to be more valuable than Seguin on his own.

I agree. Seguin has flourished this year in the presence of Jamie Benn, and that makes him look good. But Monahan had a tremendous rookie season and by the time he's Seguin's age and has other great players around him, it looks likely that he'll be able to achieve the same kind of success.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I agree. Seguin has flourished this year in the presence of Jamie Benn, and that makes him look good. But Monahan had a tremendous rookie season and by the time he's Seguin's age and has other great players around him, it looks likely that he'll be able to achieve the same kind of success.
Even if he doesn't reach Seguin's offensive level, I think he will be better defensively, be a better penalty killer, be better physically and be a better leader.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad