2013 Development Camp

FlyingW

Jun 9, 2013
Winnipeg
Petan is the real deal. Scheifele as well. Czarnik has skills but is even smaller than Petan and not near good in traffic. Chiarot was good. Olsen was solid. Comrie was impressive. Our goalies are huge. Sutter tries hard, but I have my doubts he can excel at the next level.

I was watching Sutter a lot, and really pulling for him, but was not impressed at all. Not sure if you saw Czarnik get riden along the bench by Sol. He came back hard after that. I was pretty impressed with his skill and determination.

I found mystelf noticing Brassard quite often as well. I was pretty impressed with his skill level

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
I was there today - was near the blue line on the side with Trouba and Lowry so most of the time I watched that group.

However, I tried to keep track of Petan on the other side of the ice. That guy will turn out to be the 2nd round steal of the century. What great quickness and puck sense that kid has. His size will absolutely not stop him from being successful in the NHL. I think he may only be a year away. He looked that good.

Interestingly, most of the guys were taking a knee when they had a break as the practice wore on. Petan was always on his feet ready for his next turn - and he always looked fresh.

Trouba really impressed me. Even with the minimal body contact that was involved - just a few hits along the boards - you could tell he wasn't trying to lay anyone out - he really stood out with his puck handling skills. I didn't know he was that good with the puck. I think he is going to bring tons of offence from the blue line to the Jets. I cannot see him being sent down to the Ice Caps this fall and I can't wait to see him turned loose when he has the green light to steamroll the opposition. That will be worth the price of admission :handclap:

Lowry was also very impressive. Cody Sol is a freaking giant. He was grouped with Trouba and Morrissey in the 3 on 3's. When he was standing beside Trouba, at first I though - who is that little guy beside Sol...

I thought Morrissey looked a bit tired today - but you could definitely see his quickness and puck sense. I'd say that he is at least two years away with our depth at the blue line.

Another d-man that surprised me was Julian Melchiori - really didn't know much about the guy but he is a big guy who was surprisingly good with the puck.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I was there today - was near the blue line on the side with Trouba and Lowry so most of the time I watched that group.

However, I tried to keep track of Petan on the other side of the ice. That guy will turn out to be the 2nd round steal of the century. What great quickness and puck sense that kid has. His size will absolutely not stop him from being successful in the NHL. I think he may only be a year away. He looked that good.

Interestingly, most of the guys were taking a knee when they had a break as the practice wore on. Petan was always on his feet ready for his next turn - and he always looked fresh.

Trouba really impressed me. Even with the minimal body contact that was involved - just a few hits along the boards - you could tell he wasn't trying to lay anyone out - he really stood out with his puck handling skills. I didn't know he was that good with the puck. I think he is going to bring tons of offence from the blue line to the Jets. I cannot see him being sent down to the Ice Caps this fall and I can't wait to see him turned loose when he has the green light to steamroll the opposition. That will be worth the price of admission :handclap:

Lowry was also very impressive. Cody Sol is a freaking giant. He was grouped with Trouba and Morrissey in the 3 on 3's. When he was standing beside Trouba, at first I though - who is that little guy beside Sol...

I thought Morrissey looked a bit tired today - but you could definitely see his quickness and puck sense. I'd say that he is at least two years away with our depth at the blue line.

Another d-man that surprised me was Julian Melchiori - really didn't know much about the guy but he is a big guy who was surprisingly good with the puck.

It was apparent who has played pro. They were much calm with the puck: Chiarot, Melchiori, Sol.

FlyingW

Jun 9, 2013
Winnipeg
I mentioned Petan was very good, but I will put an asterisk beside it due to his size. I'm not a big believer that smaller guys can't do well, but he was basically going against other junior kids, and we've seen what he can do against them in Portland. I was at the end of the ice that the white group was in for the whole time and didn't see him against Trouba, etc. very much, but he was very good.

Comrie was pretty good but he got beat the most out of the goalies I saw. Some good shots, but he still wasn't "impressive". He made a nice save off of Scheifele right on the goal line though. Olkinoura was pretty aggressive too, challenging shooters.

I was on the other end. He did just fine against the Trouba / Sol line. I think he had 4 or 5 goals on our end. A few times he was battling on the boards against big D men and held his own. The question will be can he handle the 82 game (+ playoffs :handclap:) grind after he bulks up a bit.

Last edited:

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
I was on the other end. He did just fine against the Trouba / Sol line. I think he had 4 or 5 goals on our end. A few times his was battling on the boards against big D men and held his own. The question will be can he handle the 82 game (+ playoffs :handclap:) grind after he bulks up a bit.
From what I saw today I am convinced that Petan is the real deal. I realize he was playing against the "young guys" - and keep in mind the he was one of the youngest having just being drafted this year.

Still, to watch him with the puck and his puck sense which I believe is something that cannot be taught - it was just amazing. I just can't say enough about Petan and I can't wait to see him at MTS Center in the pre-season. (fingers crossed that he will play at least a few pre-season games this fall)

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada
Some brief observations from an inexperienced scout:
Hellebuyck - Good technique, good positioning.
Kasdorf - As tall as Hellebuyck, doesn't seem like in it in goal IMO.
Lindgren - Poor technique, positioning especially compared to Hellebuyck.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Love the reports guys.

You have me super excited to see Petan in the Penticton games.

I remember watching him in the top prospects game and it will be interesting to see how he looks again.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Some brief observations from an inexperienced scout:
Hellebuyck - Good technique, good positioning.
Kasdorf - As tall as Hellebuyck, doesn't seem like in it in goal IMO.
Lindgren - Poor technique, positioning especially compared to Hellebuyck.

I really liked the big four goalies. Kasdorf and Hellebuyck are monsters, very big an technically sound. If they keep developing and enhance their athleticism and quickness either of them could be impact goalies down the road. Comrie and Olkinoura are very athletic. Olkinoura is obviously more mature and it shows, but Comrie has some great skills to build on.

Lindgren (the camp invite) was out of his league both times I saw him this week. He was visably frustrated a couple of times when he was getting lit up consistently on Tuesday. Not an NHL prospect by any means.

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada
Yeah, those were the only 3 goalies on my side but Lindgren was noticeably worse than the other 2. Also, despite Hellebuyck and Kasdorf being the same height Hellebuyck appears to use his height much more than Kasdorf.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Love the reports guys.

You have me super excited to see Petan in the Penticton games.

I remember watching him in the top prospects game and it will be interesting to see how he looks again.

You can see why many had him as a 1st rounder. If he is 5'11 and 175 he goes top 10. Watch him closely if you get the chance. It's the slick little plays he makes, chips the puck up an inch, pokes it sideways etc. I hope he has the speed, because he could be awesome.

Edit:
I can't believe he went so low. Led the CHL in scoring as a 17year old. He goes 43rd overall.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I really liked the big four goalies. Kasdorf and Hellebuyck are monsters, very big an technically sound. If they keep developing and enhance their athleticism and quickness either of them could be impact goalies down the road. Comrie and Olkinoura are very athletic. Olkinoura is obviously more mature and it shows, but Comrie has some great skills to build on.

Lindgren (the camp invite) was out of his league both times I saw him this week. He was visably frustrated a couple of times when he was getting lit up consistently on Tuesday. Not an NHL prospect by any means.

The guys sitting behind Howie and I were mentioning how crazy illegal the pads were on one of the taller goalies. That should be an interesting rule adjustment?

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
So what is really the difference between Drouin picked 3rd, Domi at picked 12th and Petan by the Jets?
is it just the two inches in height and the weight? or how is the level of Petan's skill compare to those two? how far is Petan. i am really curious.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So what is really the difference between Drouin picked 3rd, Domi at picked 12th and Petan by the Jets?
is it just the two inches in height and the weight? or how is the kevel of Petan's skill compare to those two? how far is Petan. i am really curious.

I think that Drouin is in a higher skill tier than either Domi or Petan.

Both Domi and Drouin have better size / strength than Petan. I also think that some might wonder how much Petan benefited from his high scoring teammates.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
You can see why many had him as a 1st rounder. If he is 5'11 and 175 he goes top 10. Watch him closely if you get the chance. It's the slick little plays he makes, chips the puck up an inch, pokes it sideways etc. I hope he has the speed, because he could be awesome.

Edit:
I can't believe he went so low. Led the CHL in scoring as a 17year old. He goes 43rd overall.

I agree.

I am really looking forward to seeing play in the Rookie Tournament.

He still needs to mature physically, like Scheifele two years ago.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

Both Domi and Drouin have better size / strength than Petan. I also think that some might wonder how much Petan benefited from his high scoring teammates.

For sure: Drouin was partnered with some sloths, after all. :sarcasm:

I get what you're saying though. It'll be interesting to see what Petan does next year without Rattle. If he still produces at a prodigious rate, then we'll really know the Jets have a great prospect on their hands.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
For sure: Drouin was partnered with some sloths, after all. :sarcasm:

I get what you're saying though. It'll be interesting to see what Petan does next year without Rattle. If he still produces at a prodigious rate, then we'll really know the Jets have a great prospect on their hands.

Rattle can finish, no doubt, but Petan makes players around him better. I wouldnt say the same for Rattie.

I watched the Winterhawks live twice this year and in both games Rattie didnt do much, except sneak back door waiting for Petan to get him the puck. I think Rattie will have to change his game at the pro level, and there's a better chance that Rattie does not become the goal scorer he was in jr, than Petan struggles to put up points in the NHL. My money would be on Petan being an NHL regular, over Rattie or Leipsec.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Rattle can finish, no doubt, but Petan makes players around him better. I wouldnt say the same for Rattie.

I watched the Winterhawks live twice this year and in both games Rattie didnt do much, except sneak back door waiting for Petan to get him the puck. I think Rattie will have to change his game at the pro level, and there's a better chance that Rattie does not become the goal scorer he was in jr, than Petan struggles to put up points in the NHL. My money would be on Petan being an NHL regular, over Rattie or Leipsec.

Thats good to hear.
I wasn't sure who stirred the drink on that line.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa

Petan benefited? Leipsic had 58 in 65 in his draft year. Petan had more point than Rattie who is 2 years older. Petan played the harder position is younger and much smaller yet was the best one. Anyone who plays on the top line of a good team benefits from their linemates. I really don't understand sports media.

I am pretty sure Drouin got some benefit from Frk and MacKinnon :) Petan scored at an identical pace to MacKinnon. The only thing Petan has against him is size. The knock on DOmi was his size, he weighs almost 200lbs.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It's funny with most draft picks you need to see them get better after their draft year......Scheif had obvious room to grow in size and production......Trouba was pretty good but he looked like he needed seasoning......same for Morrissey really like his raw skills but he needs at least two seasons to develope his game and fill out....then we have Petan who busted out 130 points as a 17 year old and I find myself hoping he can repeat and not fall off :laugh:

Realistically he can prove he can do it again with new line mates.....maybe make the world juniors.....add some weight and it would be nice if he added a couple of inches in height but that is probably not going to happen which is ok because that why we got his talent on deep discount at pick 43. Interesting to be in this position with someone who has done so much at as a 17 year old.

Looking forward to seeing him at the prospect games......WJ camp....then finally at our main camp with men those are all very big next steps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad