2013 Development Camp

FlyingW

Jun 9, 2013
Winnipeg
Was really impressed today by Petan and Trouba. I was on the far end of the ice and never got to see Scheifele.

I was on the same end as you I guess. Trouba's first instinct is to take a shot at everyone. Can't wait to see that aggression pointed towards another team!

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
only other thing I'll mention is that if Gryffindor had a hockey team Petan would be the captain - dude is a WIZARD

I told good guy ps that I'll leave the heavy lifting up to him - in-depth analysis ain't my thing (my typing skills are non-existent)

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
Well, my kid is happy cause Trouba signed his puck after the skate! Lowry has quite the personality, joking with the fans, this guy will be our future captain. Talked with bailey and feedback he is getting is positive but he is still finishing school next year.
As for on the ice: Lowry will be my favorite player in two years, he is very good! Petan has world class skill and if you try to hit him his lateral movement will burn you, he is the steal of the draft. Comrie has great raw ability and will be our starter in 6 years, he looked good today. A few other notes, kitchon has skill, scheif looked tired, Trouba will be a regular next year and morissey will take time. Not much new to report but our depth is looking great!

I read that Matt's team had coaching issues, can you elaborate at all?

djc

Jul 12, 2011
I hope it's not just the shiny-new-toy syndrome, but I look at our list of top prospects that we're working on and giggle with glee. I feel like it's soooooo much deeper than previous years.

This is how you build a team. Like a pyramid - from the base up. First the prospect pool, then the farm, then the big club. If you rush and focus too quickly on the big club, it topples in a couple years when you lose any key player(s) and you're back to square one.

I completely agree but I would change one word ... 'This is how you build a franchise.'

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Petan is the real deal. Scheifele as well. Czarnik has skills but is even smaller than Petan and not near good in traffic. Chiarot was good. Olsen was solid. Comrie was impressive. Our goalies are huge. Sutter tries hard, but I have my doubts he can excel at the next level.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I should also mention Lowry, Trouba and Scheifele signed autographs and took pics forever, and this was after a tough skate, great to see!

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
I was a little disappointed they didn't do some full scrimmage to let the guys really use there speed, maybe keeping the pace down is part of injury and concussion prevention would have at least liked to have seen a shootout the practice was definitely not catered to the fans at all, considering the non importance of the camp it would have been nice if they would have done a little extra stuff for all of the people who show up most of the other teams do.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
Petan is the real deal. Scheifele as well. Czarnik has skills but is even smaller than Petan and not near good in traffic. Chiarot was good. Olsen was solid. Comrie was impressive. Our goalies are huge. Sutter tries hard, but I have my doubts he can excel at the next level.

Comrie was awesome early then seemed to tire out by the end - and Connor is especially huge in net - played really well : angles, movement, rebound control all solid

bah said I'd shut up so I will now

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
I was a little disappointed they didn't do some full scrimmage to let the guys really use there speed, maybe keeping the pace down is part of injury and concussion prevention would have at least liked to have seen a shootout the practice was definitely not catered to the fans at all, considering the non importance of the camp it would have been nice if they would have done a little extra stuff for all of the people who show up most of the other teams do.

eh I liked the way they did it, especially with so many players in camp - would have been too long otherwise imo

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Comrie was awesome early then seemed to tire out by the end - and Connor is especially huge in net - played really well : angles, movement, rebound control all solid

bah said I'd shut up so I will now

I didn't get to see Hellebuyck; he was at the other end. Olkinuora looked a little more stable in net.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Kevin-Cheveldayoff1-300x170.jpg

Kevin Cheveldayoff – Initial thoughts on the Development Camp. More about off ice development than on ice? Jets depth at goalie. What did he see from Josh Morrissey? Getting Postma signed. Opportunity for Postma. Blake Wheeler tweet. Concern about the Arbitration process. Salary cap concerns. What does Adam Pardy bring to the organization? How has Zach Redmond’s summer been going? Burmistrov question. What does Matt Halischuk bring? Thoughts on the schedule. Filling the AHL cupboard.

To listen click here.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
First off I had a chance to sit with Maximus Tacitus and it was great to break things down together!

Once everyone was on the same sheet of ice all drills were 3 on 3 and all were single zone drills (If my memory serves me correctly).

It was really fast moving and intense so I didn't get a chance to take notes but a few things off the top of my head.

We added allot of skill in the 2013 draft.

As tbcwpg mentioned Petan, Czarnik, and Kitchon did very well together. That much space with skill guys is pretty attractive.

Morrissey and Trouba were paired together a fair amount and worked pretty well together. I would have preferred to see them on the full ice surface because I think that is where Morrissey would shine even more. Morrissey made some nice highlight reel plays but will need to work on his D zone coverage. I am a big fan of the draft pick though.

Once again I was impressed with Ryan Olsen.....big guy with speed and skill.

Scheif and Trouba are impressive but I didn't focus too much on them and tried to watch other players I haven't seen as much.

Lodge looked solid again.....creative.

Busy day at work now catching up so I will finish with what I felt was the most lasting impression from today.

Nic Freaking Petan. I know it’s the summer, and I know its 3 on 3 drills, but for me at least he was such a pleasure to watch and stood out the most (by a long shot). Hard to describe all the nuances of his game that are so appealing but the surprising elements are things like how good a board battler he is, he has a low centre of gravity which allows him to match up physically with much bigger players and he has a really quick stick which is used to win the puck or get it back when he loses it. Even when guys are trying to pin him on the boards or dominate him physically he always has a move to counter it. His creativity, vision, and ability to make instant decisions with the puck and execute sweet passes under duress are at a level that we don't have on the Jets right now (I don't think I am exaggerating).

I admit I was skeptical when we drafted a guy who is 5'8"-5'9" but I now believe it was a very smart risk to take. I hope he gets an invite to the main camp and plays in some NHL exhibition games because I would like to see him on a bigger stage.

Last edited:

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Nic Freaking Petan. I know it’s the summer, and I know its 3 on 3 drills, but for me at least he was such a pleasure to watch and stood out the most (by a long shot). Hard to describe all the nuances of his game that are so appealing but the surprising elements are things like how good a board battler he is, he has a low centre of gravity which allows him to match up physically with much bibber players and he has a really quick stick which is used to win the puck or get it back when he loses it. Even when guys are trying to pin him on the boards or dominate him physically he always has a move to counter it. His creativity, vision, and ability to make instant decisions with the puck and execute sweet passes under duress are at a level that we don't have on the Jets right now (I don't think I am exaggerating).

I admit I was skeptical when we drafted a guy who is 5'8"-5'9" but I now believe it was a very smart risk to take. I hope he gets an invite to the main camp and plays in some NHL exhibition games because I would like to see him on a bigger stage.

You can tell elite skill by the little things. He out smarts guys so he doesn't need to use strength. It's not just by using leverage and speed. He knows what defenders are expecting to do when the puck is loose and makes a quick unexpected play. He could be really good. I want to see him in camp at full speed. He had triple the scoring opportunities of anyone in the 3 on 3's.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
He tweeted something to the effect of that it's been a long, hard week for him and he was glad it's over. Guess some thought he was alluding to contract discussions.

yeah caught supah's post - just looked in my feed for most recent

seems like he was alluding to the workouts

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
You can tell elite skill by the little things. He out smarts guys so he doesn't need to use strength. It's not just by using leverage and speed. He knows what defenders are expecting to do when the puck is loose and makes a quick unexpected play. He could be really good. I want to see him in camp at full speed. He had triple the scoring opportunities of anyone in the 3 on 3's.

I know what you mean with respect to Petan.

On Monday, he received a pass, from behind, between his legs.

He directed the puck up to his stick without breaking his stride.

Pure skill.

Can't wait to see him play against NHL players.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I mentioned Petan was very good, but I will put an asterisk beside it due to his size. I'm not a big believer that smaller guys can't do well, but he was basically going against other junior kids, and we've seen what he can do against them in Portland. I was at the end of the ice that the white group was in for the whole time and didn't see him against Trouba, etc. very much, but he was very good.

Comrie was pretty good but he got beat the most out of the goalies I saw. Some good shots, but he still wasn't "impressive". He made a nice save off of Scheifele right on the goal line though. Olkinoura was pretty aggressive too, challenging shooters.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I mentioned Petan was very good, but I will put an asterisk beside it due to his size. I'm not a big believer that smaller guys can't do well, but he was basically going against other junior kids, and we've seen what he can do against them in Portland. I was at the end of the ice that the white group was in for the whole time and didn't see him against Trouba, etc. very much, but he was very good.

Comrie was pretty good but he got beat the most out of the goalies I saw. Some good shots, but he still wasn't "impressive". He made a nice save off of Scheifele right on the goal line though. Olkinoura was pretty aggressive too, challenging shooters.

What I noticed about Petan is that he does things so his size doesn't even factor in.

Getting scored on in an unstructured drill isn't the best to evaluate goalies. Comrie made some slick skill saves. Olkinoura was definitely more stable. Goalies are really hard to evaluate at the top end in non-game situations. None of them have glaring fundamental flaws that show up in drills at this level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad