2013 Development Camp

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Theo Fleury 2.0 skills on Petan?

Funny you should mention that because I was going to post on that exact guy.....I use to live in PA when this little baby faced kid played in Moose Jaw and I remember watching him come into our building and thinking too bad that kid is so small because he is the best player on the ice but he will never be able to make the NHL at his size. :laugh::help:... Petan seems to have some of Theo's mental toughness and never give a inch attitude that a small guy needs.....you can hit them but you can't intimidate them and their body type allows them to play much bigger than their size.

Here is a fun fact....Petan is 2" taller than Fluery and you know how many points Theo got in his draft year.....129! theo played one more year in juniors where he put up 160 points then off to the flames and he produced right away. Now don't get me wrong.....points were AWAY easier to get in the late 80's but even as the trap era came into being Theo always produced at the NHL level at a PPG + pace.

Last edited:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
So what is really the difference between Drouin picked 3rd, Domi at picked 12th and Petan by the Jets?
is it just the two inches in height and the weight? or how is the level of Petan's skill compare to those two? how far is Petan. i am really curious.

i also want to add, will Petan be the next Kyle Wellwood or Tim Stapleton? or he projects better at the same age?

bazaaa*

Imagine if we got both both Petan and Domi. Would be crazy to see them on the same line one day.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Domi and Drouin both played on very good teams with very good line mates, I don't think that is really a valid argument. Drouin is on another level in terms of skill from those two.
Domi on the other hand I feel is pretty similar in terms of skill to Petan but is thick and heavy while Petan is pretty thin. Perhaps Domi's more projectable frame weight wise was enough for him to go higher and Petan's less projectable frame weight wise was what caused him to drop.

Last edited:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Petan benefited? Leipsic had 58 in 65 in his draft year. Petan had more point than Rattie who is 2 years older. Petan played the harder position is younger and much smaller yet was the best one. Anyone who plays on the top line of a good team benefits from their linemates. I really don't understand sports media.

I am pretty sure Drouin got some benefit from Frk and MacKinnon :) Petan scored at an identical pace to MacKinnon. The only thing Petan has against him is size. The knock on DOmi was his size, he weighs almost 200lbs.
Petan benefiting isn't a laughable idea. He scored 31 points the year prior. Nic was also the 3rd highest scorer on his line this year (not by a lot, but he was in Pts/G).

There have been many kids who were part of a big line in jr and never carried it forward. I am not saying that is the case here, but it isn't a laughable idea by any stretch.

The one year wonder thing also likely played a role. I do think he would have been a top 10ish pick if he was bigger, but a few things likely contributed to his fall.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Who was on the winning 3 vs. 3 squad? The only ones I recognized in the picture were Lowry, Lipon, Kosmachuk, Melchiori, and Olkinuora.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I would like to see some video-footage, but so far i've only found this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECo0fJoxv6s

Yeah that was the only one I could find too. If anybody else knows where to find any I'd love to see it.

Also thanks to all who have been giving updates throughout camp, I would have liked to attend the camp myself but I'm currently out of province. It's greatly appreciated!

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Petan benefiting isn't a laughable idea. He scored 31 points the year prior. Nic was also the 3rd highest scorer on his line this year (not by a lot, but he was in Pts/G).

There have been many kids who were part of a big line in jr and never carried it forward. I am not saying that is the case here, but it isn't a laughable idea by any stretch.

The one year wonder thing also likely played a role. I do think he would have been a top 10ish pick if he was bigger, but a few things likely contributed to his fall.

You are leaving out some huge factors. Style of play. Rattie is a finisher, he needs guys like Petan. Leipsic only produced when he was 19 and playing with Petan. Petan scored .5ppg as a 16 year old. How big was he at 16? Not sure why you'd overlook such obvious things.

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada
Imagine if we got both both Petan and Domi. Would be crazy to see them on the same line one day.

That's interesting that you mention that. Hypothetically if we took Domi in the 1st round, we would have still taken Petan in the 2nd?

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
If you guys want to see some footage of Nick Petan got to the Jets website.

On Jets TV they have posted a video called "Mic'd up; Adam Lowry"

10 seconds into the video you can see Petan #38, stickhandle around Lowrey and score.

As Petan skates away Lowry says to his teammate "That ain't fair!"

http://video.jets.nhl.com/videocenter/

Last edited:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Two things about that video:

A) Even though they are all prospects, man does Lowry look like a man among boys.

B) Yikes was that move by Petan dirty.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
I saw that video but wasn't sure if that was Petan or not.

Lowry was right, though. Moves that slick just aren't fair :laugh: Don't think Petan could get away with that much in an actual game, though.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Two things about that video:

A) Even though they are all prospects, man does Lowry look like a man among boys.

B) Yikes was that move by Petan dirty.

That move was slick, by Petan.

I really like Lowry's game. I hope he can transition from AHL to the NHL in a year's time. Still not sure if his future is as a C or LW'er, but it would be good for him to gain experience playing both at the AHL and NHL level at some point.

I also like the fact former Jets (Gilhen)or Moose (Keane) guys, who live in Winnipeg, are out helping at the development camp, giving the prospects some pointers. Nice touch by TNSE.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
i also want to add, will Petan be the next Kyle Wellwood or Tim Stapleton? or he projects better at the same age?

Waaaaaay better.

Wellwood scored at about the same pace as Petan in his draft year, leading the OHL.
I was delighted when we picked Petan and share the high hopes that he will be great, but he really has not proved much more than Wellwood at the same stage. The fact remains that Fleury and St Louis are notable because they are exceptions to the rule....the rule itself being that the majority of really small players struggle mightily to achieve success in the NHL.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
One advantage Petan has over Wellwood - his skating. Wellwood carved out a pretty good career on his hockey IQ and hands alone. Petan might not have the IQ of Welly, but his skating is much, much better. That gives me some hope that he can move his game to the next level, as good skating small guys have a better chance of sticking.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Hopefully he gets on the WJ team. He might not make it if he can't lock down a top 6 role though.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Wellwood scored at about the same pace as Petan in his draft year, leading the OHL.
I was delighted when we picked Petan and share the high hopes that he will be great, but he really has not proved much more than Wellwood at the same stage. The fact remains that Fleury and St Louis are notable because they are exceptions to the rule....the rule itself being that the majority of really small players struggle mightily to achieve success in the NHL.

One advantage Petan has over Wellwood - his skating. Wellwood carved out a pretty good career on his hockey IQ and hands alone. Petan might not have the IQ of Welly, but his skating is much, much better. That gives me some hope that he can move his game to the next level, as good skating small guys have a better chance of sticking.

This.

Kyle Wellwood was never a dominant player based on what his physical abilities were, he had just a much higher hockey IQ then his competition.

I would argue that from what I've seen from Nick he likewise has an high hockey IQ. But Nick also brings considerably more skill and determination than Welly has.
I think Nick has the physical abilities to allow him to do the things Kyle can't. Many people who have watched Kyle play have lamented that if he had the physical abilities of an average NHL 2 liner, with his hockey IQ he'd be great.
I think Nick is more of a St. Louis style player or a Conacher player than a Wellwood.

Obviously a ten year career is nothing to scoff at, but I think Nick' ceiling is higher than Wellwoods ever was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad