2013 D-Core Overhaul

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Yes, it's almost a virtual certainty that Murphy and his ELC will be part of next season's D corps. To me that means Jay "the Mentor" Harrison and Murphy on the 3rd pair.

Though a Scuderi or Hainsey might be good adds to the top 4, they aren't the kind of physical players the D needs. I don't see how an upgrade can work for the right kind of guy without moving Pitkanen's salary. Otherwise, it's hello again Andrew Alberts or something along those lines.

Murphy's cap hit is $1.35 million, which means he won't be on the active roster unless he really shows he can run the PP. Bergeron only made $1m last year and would likely take a deal in that range, and he's more of a known commodity. I expect they will sign Bergeron and put Murphy in Charlotte to start the year with the expectation of calling him up at some point mid-season.

Corvo made $2m last year and was halfway decent. He's burned some bridges around the league, but he won't be signing for the minimum either.

I think we go after Scuderi big-time, if not him then somebody like Lydman or Leopold, then somebody like Alberts for the 3rd pair (personally I like Tyson Strachan, whatever the case it will be around a $1m signing.)

Last edited:

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Nobody in Canada even knows who the Staals are, guys! We are in so much trouble!

Just saw the numbers on Hurricanes STH living in Alberta, and the numbers are not good. Not good at all.
But wasn't Dorton Arena based on the design of the Saddle Dome? ;)

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Murphy's cap hit is $1.35 million, which means he won't be on the active roster unless he really shows he can run the PP. Bergeron only made $1m last year and would likely take a deal in that range, and he's more of a known commodity. I expect they will sign Bergeron and put Murphy in Charlotte to start the year with the expectation of calling him up at some point mid-season.

Corvo made $2m last year and was halfway decent. He's burned some bridges around the league, but he won't be signing for the minimum either.
Unless he gets hurt, Murphy will be on the roster. Also, they won't spend to the cap so his hit won't be as important as his salary which is <$1M. With McBain and Corvo likely out of the picture, they'll need another RHD too.

Jussijuice

Jun 28, 2012
Unless he gets hurt, Murphy will be on the roster. Also, they won't spend to the cap so his hit won't be as important as his salary which is <$1M. With McBain and Corvo likely out of the picture, they'll need another RHD too.

Yes, Murphy will be on the roster. They aren't burning a year of his ELC to sit in the AHL nor will they let $1 million in Cap stop them from developing a game changer.

The org is extremely high on Murphy, nothing had changed since they praised him as a top-5 pick that luckily dropped to them or Brindi calling him the best D in training camp.

Consider it is extremely rare for an NHL team to call up a junior on emergency basis. They wanted to see what he could do and he didn't disappoint.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
I saw something along those lines as well but I sense it was reading between the lines. It's very unusual and highly unlikely that he'd mention a player by name.

That was probably me. JR didn't mention Komisarek during his presser. He just said that they would most likely be targeting a defenseman that will be bought out this summer and while they won't be "top tier" (aka good) they will fit the mold of d-men they are looking for and be cheap or something to that extent. Komisarek and or Liles are likely to be bought out this summer by Toronto and we have been rumored to have interest in both of them for a while now. Connect the dots... We will end up with one of Komisarek or Liles this summer. I will almost guarantee it.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
But JR did pay the kings random for Jordan. Just as he would and maybe will for Marc. If you don't believe that fact then you don't know JR and the Canes org very well.

If Marc was on the open market, I'm very confident JR would say "I'm willing to pay you more than your highest offer, you name it". Marc's last name is worth a premium to JR that it isn't worth to other GMs. The ability to market "Come one and all to Carolina to see the 3 Staal brothers play" is worth overpaying Eric, Jordan, and Marc to JR, he had made that clear in the J. Staal acquisition and in comments to the media.

If Marc wouldn't accept a highest offer from the Canes, then the Canes don't want him.

Agree with your assessment completely. It would be interesting to be able to figure out somehow the value of the Staal name to the franchise not only from ticket sales, but all of it.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Yotes fan coming in peace (again). In the event you draft Monahan, would you be interested at all in a Stone for Rask trade?

Jussijuice

Jun 28, 2012
Yotes fan coming in peace (again). In the event you draft Monahan, would you be interested at all in a Stone for Rask trade?

Would be more interested in Connor Murphy, but even then the Canes need Rask more than project D.

Now McBain + Rask + 2nd or 3rd Round pick for Brandon Gormley. That is something I could get behind.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Would be more interested in Connor Murphy, but even then the Canes need Rask more than project D.

Stone isn't a project D by any means. His development has exceeded his initial projections as just a bottom-pairing defender. Physical RHD, solid on both ends, with a booming shot. He definitely can step into a Top 4 role by next season.

I wouldn't say Stone is a "project." Pretty solid now. But Rask would be too steep a price.

Again, just offered in the case you guys drafted Monahan, which would result in Rask/Monahan/Dalpe ultimately fighting for 3rd line centering duties (as you do have the Staals in the Top 6). Of course, you could just merely convert two of them into wingers, but you guys are in need of D too.

Last edited:

Jussijuice

Jun 28, 2012
Stone isn't a project D by any means. His development has exceeded his initial projections as just a bottom-pairing defender. Physical RHD, solid on both ends, with a booming shot. He definitely can step into a Top 4 role by next season.

I was referring to Connor Murphy when saying project D, honestly I've never heard of Stone (other than Mark Stone), which is surprising to me as a big fan of prospects... But that also makes me wary of him as a top-4 D.

Of the scouting reports I can find, nothing really mentions him being overly physical. Has decent hits (over 2 per game) and blocked shots (about 1.5 per game) this year though. Not overly impressive offensive stats.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Of the scouting reports I can find, nothing really mentions him being overly physical. Has decent hits (over 2 per game) and blocked shots (about 1.5 per game) this year though. Not overly impressive offensive stats.

He was 2nd only to Yandle this season in goals by team d-men (yes that includes OEL) - he would've been second behind only Corvo for you guys. Only saw about 14:00 minutes of ice time on the bottom pairing, and didn't really see any PP time (although he can play in that role, esp. with his point shot). With actual second-pairing time I'm sure he'd turn in better numbers. But as it stands, being on pace for a 10 goal/20 point/160 hit season from the bottom pairing is pretty darn good for someone having their first season with significant NHL time.

He's not a flashy player, but Stone is very solid on both ends, while still being young and having some upside (he can stand to improve his skating even more, though it's a lot better than what it used to be). I'd rather see the Yotes keep him as he's a RHD who'd replace Morris as Yandle's future partner, but unless someone actually bites on one of our older d-men, Stone is the likeliest of our young d-prospects to be moved for forward talent.

Last edited:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I get to watch a few Phoenix games via the Blues. They have a very good group of defensemen. Stone cracking that lineup at his age is no small accomplishment.

My impression of him is a better/smarter/faster/second-pair version of Jay Harrison. Very similar all-around game but just better in almost every way.

Again I think Rask would be too high a price to pay, but if they wanted Dalpe or Nash, go for it.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
just a thought - barrett jackman. right up jr's alley in terms of style.

he's told us he wants one or two bryan allen types. jackman fits the description well, and st louis needs to sign some guys.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012

he's told us he wants one or two bryan allen types. jackman fits the description well, and st louis needs to sign some guys.

I love Jackman and he'd be a great fit. But I get the impression they would never want to let go of him if they have a choice. A true heart-and-soul kinda guy, that one.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

If St. Louis lets Jackman go he's my #1 target, but (being completely detached from the situation) I can't imagine they'd ever let Jackman walk.

He would've been my pick for captain over Backes, the man is incredible. We sign him without any serious subtractions and we're a Cup contender. I love the man (can you tell? :sarcasm:).

Dream lineup:

Tlusty - Staal - Semin
Kid/acquired for McBain+ - Staal - Ruutu
Skinner - Monahan - Dwyer
Blanchard - Welsh - Torres

Faulk - Gleason
Jackman - Murphy
Harrison - Pitkanen (Bellemore to start the year if Pitkanen isn't ready)

Ward
Ellis

Our D goes from Charmin soft to pretty difficult to play against with Gleason, Harrison, Jackman, and potentially Bellemore.

Another thing JR should seriously consider is trading McBain for as many picks as he can as a sort of cap dump and making a hard push for Clarkson out of NJ. He is literally exactly what our forward group needs, awesome physical play especially on the boards, can play anywhere in the top 9, and can improve our PP tremendously as well (almost the new Holmstrom as far as the tip-in is concerned). Find a way to cut as much dead weight as possible, see if you can get a couple more conditional picks for our random 4th liners. If we can trade Anthony Stewart, a 4th rounder, and a 6th rounder for Kevin Westgarth, certainly we can get a 6th rounder to flip him to someone else...

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
JR says he wants a Bryan Allen type, well he had Bryan Allen himself and let him go for nothing. He had Dennis Seidenberg and let him go for nothing too.

I don't think JR has any effing clue what he wants in one single defenseman, much less a concept of how to put six or seven of them together at once.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
3.5 for the next 2 years for a decent 3rd pairing defenseman? This was the guy that made Gleason look fast. It's too much, and I think we can do better.

Seidenberg's was in such high demand, he signed a 1 year deal 2 weeks before training camp started with the Florida Panthers. He didn't look remotely competent until he arrived in Boston and they put him with Chara.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
3.5 for the next 2 years for a decent 3rd pairing defenseman? This was the guy that made Gleason look fast. It's too much, and I think we can do better.

Seidenberg's was in such high demand, he signed a 1 year deal 2 weeks before training camp started with the Florida Panthers. He didn't look remotely competent until he arrived in Boston and they put him with Chara.

I would be careful with the slight revisionist history about Dennis. I didn't want him for how much he wanted either, and he was a player dead set on extracting every thin dime he could from his status as an NHL regular, but he was certainly a guy that people wanted. He ended up signing with Florida for $2.25 million, which was an even bigger number back then than it is now obviously. I believe his demands were somewhere in the 3 year range at $2 million or $2.5 and he ran out of time to find a buyer at that number. It stings that we lost him because he's exactly what we need, but that contract could have just as easily blown up in our face. He didn't really put it all together until his last season with us.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
JR says he wants a Bryan Allen type, well he had Bryan Allen himself and let him go for nothing. He had Dennis Seidenberg and let him go for nothing too.

I don't think JR has any effing clue what he wants in one single defenseman, much less a concept of how to put six or seven of them together at once.
In fairness though there were good reasons at the time to let them both walk and there wasn't exactly an uproar among the fans. Seidenberg wasn't worth the asking price and certainly not the term.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Personally, I remember watching the last 20 or so games of that season, and then the playoffs and thinking man this Seidenberg is looking really good. I was pretty shocked when they just let him walk.

He wasn't even asking for that much, considering he was essentially the #2 during those playoffs. Nic Wallin was making 1.8, Corvo 2.8, Kaberle 2.2 on the same team.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Personally, I remember watching the last 20 or so games of that season, and then the playoffs and thinking man this Seidenberg is looking really good. I was pretty shocked when they just let him walk.

He wasn't even asking for that much, considering he was essentially the #2 during those playoffs. Nic Wallin was making 1.8, Corvo 2.8, Kaberle 2.2 on the same team.

Plus, Forslund immediately thought that Gleason making the diving save at the blue line against New Jersey to pass it to Joni for the eventual goal by Jussi was Seidenberg, so there's that.:laugh:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Wasn't that the same year JR lowballed Babchuk after he had scored like 18 goals or something? And then signed trash like Andrew Alberts and AWard. Grrr.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad