2013-2014 Providence Bruins All-Purpose Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I LOVED the pick at the time, looks even better now. Can't go wrong picking that much talent in the 5th round, you're unlikely to get anything, anyway.

He was boom or bust, looks like he's progressing very well... Very good stats for a rookie. Could be something special. :)

offensively gifted but will have to play on one of Boston's top two lines from what I see so far- his defensive game needs to catch up or he will be one of those guys who has 500 points in the AHL. Griffith should have a long professional career in NA or Europe- you cant teach his O game. Love watching him on the point on the PP.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
I LOVED the pick at the time, looks even better now. Can't go wrong picking that much talent in the 5th round, you're unlikely to get anything, anyway.

He was boom or bust, looks like he's progressing very well... Very good stats for a rookie. Could be something special. :)

Agreed, it was a good gamble in the 5th round, not even a gamble actually.

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock
GOAL BY KNIGHT :handclap::handclap:

Set up by Koko and Randell ...

Randell with the Gordie Howe hat trick ... Knight one fight away from the Gordie tonight :handclap:

The Special K

Hoss MOFO, Hoss.
Sep 26, 2008
Canal Winchester, OH
A hatty for Griffith so far and Koko with 4 assists.

EDIT: better make that 4+1 for Griffith and 1+4 for Khokhlachev....boys were like lightning today.

Last edited:

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock
Love to see Khokhlachev doing great. He should be on the Bruins by next season

He's an elite offensive talent ... No denying that. Very exciting player to watch and he's having a great season in Providence.

... But not a chance he makes the Bruins until he ups his defensive game.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Love to see Khokhlachev doing great. He should be on the Bruins by next season

always nice to see/hear prospects doing well at the AHL level, but in this organization, with this depth, unless they are playing well in all 3 zones and the Brass considers them an upgrade to the NHL roster, they aren`t playing anywhere but the farm

Absolutely no reason to push these kids through before they are 100% ready. Loved the elements Spooner brought when he was up with the big club, but the areas that Claude loves his players to have where Spoons struggled was the one on one battles for the pucks and being a touch slow in recognition/reacting to where he needed to be in the defensive zone

Not a criticism, you can see the kid is willing to learn to get better. B`s in a position of luxury, no need to rush anyone at this stage of the game, I`m a firm believer that you can ruin a kid by rushing them through to the NHL too soon, but I don`t believe extra time to develop your game in the AHL can ruin a kid unless they are being mishandled on the farm....having not seen a PB game, I can`t speak to the latter of the two

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Knight benched immediately after as Cassidy felt he should have shot the puck??:sarcasm:

Knight had a goal an assist and a penalty for goalie interference when the score was 3-1. He also had a great hit when the game was a game. He rung the post in the second and finished with a game high +4 and 5 shots. He's getting there- seemed to be I bit truculent this weekend.

Koko to me needs another 50 games in the AHL atleast getting reps and rounding out his game. Just my observation but I wish Providence had a wily old center to work specifically with Koko and Ryan on all the little things it takes to play center. Whitfield played in the NHL and was a top AHL player and has I bet a wealth of knowledge he could impart to make these guys

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I have seen a lot of Koko and I watch him pretty closely. My take is he is both skilled and competitive a recipe for success. His time to me is next year although if I am Chiarelli I would love to see him in Providence and working on the Boston Bruins way to start. Kessel, Wheeler, Seguin, and even Sobotka have flourished away from the Bruins style. Koko to me and probably Spooner look like they could follow suit. Spooner needs to start shooting- he has a very good shot; Koko will shoot. Big difference. Ryan is a better skater, Koko aint bad but he grinds his way around the ice. Koko looks like he is enjoying himself these days a far cry from where he appeared to be last April.

Assuming health and Soderberg resigns after next year Boston is loaded up top, I'd think one of these two stays and one is dealt. They are both top 6 skilled centers- or to 9 in the Bruins system which to me is the way to go.

I believe both would benefit greatly if they had someone like Doug Jarvis working with them. Just tossing it out there and maybe he's so occupied with Boston, but it would be great if he could impart some of his genius on these two highly skilled young centers. They both should play in the NHL and find success doing it. They have the hardest part to acquire- skill; they need commitment and education/reps/experience to round out the package. I dont think either will ever be anything more than average defensively although Spooner with that quickness could be very dangerous defensively if he puts his mind to it.

Koko like Griffith are killers in the AHL and getting better but they both need to round out their game- get stronger, get a little quicker, incorporate more three zone into their games.

You want to be Andrew Shaw not Chris Bourque. Bourque would be in the AHL HOF if he stuck around; Shaw probably would put up similar numbers in the AHL as the NHL if even that. AHL often doesnt translate to the NHL. The NHL is a league full of players who are fast, strong, and with high hockey smarts who make quick/ good decisions. You better be exceptioinal in the smarts/skills if you are lacking in either speed or strength

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
bad picture of Koko- not that thin folks....Boston is very deep at top 3 line centers; provincial of course, but wouldt take our 6 guys (adding Campbell) over any team in hockey

Krejci
Bergeron
Soderberg
Spooner
Koko

I hate to make comparisons, but when I saw Spooner the other night it looked like he had a touch of Krejci in his game, something I hadn't seen before his call-ups. Just the way he was moving and surveying the ice. I think he's learned a lot in those NHL stints.

Koko skates like Sobotka, with that forward-leaning raptor posture. Gave me quite a turn to watch him.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
They should try Koko on the right side again it's probably the only way he stays in the organization.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Knight had a goal an assist and a penalty for goalie interference when the score was 3-1. He also had a great hit when the game was a game. He rung the post in the second and finished with a game high +4 and 5 shots. He's getting there- seemed to be I bit truculent this weekend.

Koko to me needs another 50 games in the AHL atleast getting reps and rounding out his game. Just my observation but I wish Providence had a wily old center to work specifically with Koko and Ryan on all the little things it takes to play center. Whitfield played in the NHL and was a top AHL player and has I bet a wealth of knowledge he could impart to make these guys

Great point, I know little about the PB`s and their lack of experienced centermen/players who can help with the younger kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad