2013-2014 Providence Bruins All-Purpose Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
If you don't want to discuss Knight bring something else to the table. There are others that do (Alan Ryan and Malt come to mind) and I read their posts with as much interest as the others. I, for one, would like to know WTF the deal is with Knight? Did they waste a very high 2nd round pick or are they not developing him properly? I don't think anybody wants him handed a spot in the Top 6, but it would have been nice to see what he looked like with some decent offensive players to work with.

That's the part that concerns me the most, the lack of opportunity. I have watched enough prospects that were taken in the Top 3 or 4 rounds to know that the normal procedure is to give those guys enough rope to hang themselves. Some guys that were drafted higher than others, got more rope than they should have, even after it was apparent they should not be on the top lines.

Did Knight get this opportunity, I blinked and missed it?

Unlike Artemis, who apparently works in a magical land of sugar plums and fairies, I have been in the work place long enough to know that there can be dysfunction in any setting, professional sports or other. Personality conflicts exist everywhere. Just because it's the Bruins, doesn't mean that there are no communication issues or areas of improvement. Until Knight either "figures it out" or gets dealt/cut this talk will continue. Personally, I would like to see how Knight looks playing in the Top 6 under a different coach. Whether that's with the B's or with another team, doesn't matter at this point.

ps Any time you quote Taylor Swift in regards to hockey, you lose credibility, lol.

Oh for God's sake.

Of course Knight could have a conflict with his coach. But that a prized draft pick would be screwed over with either the approval of or blind ignorance of the Bruins' front office is counterproductive and nonsensical. You want to talk about "magical lands"? Why would the Bruins do this? What is their motive? How does it profit them? If Sweeney and Chiarelli are that corrupt (or blind), how has this franchise had any success?

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Unlike Artemis, who apparently works in a magical land of sugar plums and fairies, I have been in the work place long enough to know that there can be dysfunction in any setting, professional sports or other. Personality conflicts exist everywhere. Just because it's the Bruins, doesn't mean that there are no communication issues or areas of improvement. Until Knight either "figures it out" or gets dealt/cut this talk will continue. Personally, I would like to see how Knight looks playing in the Top 6 under a different coach. Whether that's with the B's or with another team, doesn't matter at this point.

I hardly ever agree with Artemis. But the logic thrown around on this one by the Knight lovers doesn't add up. I'm not gonna repeat the obvious stated above, it's enough to make one beat their head against the wall.

Let's move on then. Subban needs to be the number one goaltender over Svedberg. The numbers are fairly staggering as to how much better Malcolm has been. His positioning, his confidence, everything right now just looks better. If I have the time I might go and add up the goals for per game in front of each tender to see which guy the team plays better scoring wise in front of. Now this is a subject where I want to know what Cassidy, Chia and Sweeney are thinking. Unlike Svedberg, Subban has had the benefit of playing longer seasons before he arrived here, so I'm not concerned about him flaming out late in the year. Three game weekends....I'm all for Malcolm getting the bulk of the Friday/Sunday starts from here on out.

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock
I hardly ever agree with Artemis. But the logic thrown around on this one by the Knight lovers doesn't add up. I'm not gonna repeat the obvious stated above, it's enough to make one beat their head against the wall.

Let's move on then. Subban needs to be the number one goaltender over Svedberg. The numbers are fairly staggering as to how much better Malcolm has been. His positioning, his confidence, everything right now just looks better. If I have the time I might go and add up the goals for per game in front of each tender to see which guy the team plays better scoring wise in front of. Now this is a subject where I want to know what Cassidy, Chia and Sweeney are thinking. Unlike Svedberg, Subban has had the benefit of playing longer seasons before he arrived here, so I'm not concerned about him flaming out late in the year. Three game weekends....I'm all for Malcolm getting the bulk of the Friday/Sunday starts from here on out.

Agree on Subban ... He's playing worlds ahead of Svedberg right now, which is a hell of a turnaround from the very beginning of the season. Right now, he's playing like a #1 while Svedberg continues to flounder. I'm all for Subban getting the bulk from here on out as well, at least until something changes ... He's earned it. Svedberg hasn't at this point.

Who is Artemis?

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Who is Artemis?

I'm grateful for what Artemis brings to the Bruins board.
She does saves me from getting infractions... Wen she questions posters that dont think before posting, makes them accountable for what they post and brings deep knowledge about sports.
In general she is well versed in pretty much everything, and that's why a lot of people dont appreciate it. I don't always agree with her... but i do respect her knowledge, integrity and sincerity.

More Artemis and less... Let's fire Cassidy, Clode, Chia.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
She does saves me from getting infractions... Wen she questions posters that dont think before posting, makes them accountable for what they post and brings deep knowledge about sports.
In general she is well versed in pretty much everything, and that's why a lot of people dont appreciate it. I don't always agree with her... but i do respect her knowledge, integrity and sincerity.

More me makes the most sense - good read on Cassidy on the Caps board when he got fired - wow, worse than I thought

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Oh for God's sake.

Of course Knight could have a conflict with his coach. But that a prized draft pick would be screwed over with either the approval of or blind ignorance of the Bruins' front office is counterproductive and nonsensical. You want to talk about "magical lands"? Why would the Bruins do this? What is their motive? How does it profit them? If Sweeney and Chiarelli are that corrupt (or blind), how has this franchise had any success?

Your typical canned response pretty much.

Oh, for God's sake, of course I meant this, not that :laugh:

In most sports franchises, the GM's make the acquisitions and the coaches are in charge of utilizing the personnel as they see fit. Obviously, if it is overly dysfunctional the coach or GM will cease to be there. I have pointed this out before and you must have missed it, but as much as I do believe that Cassidy is mishandling Knight (and others), I also don't think it would be good for the organization to allow the players to go around the coach or the GM to publicly question him during the season. Stuff like that will do even more damage to an organization than an incompetent coach.

Please explain to me how Zach Hamill was just bad for the years that he was here, yet continued to get every chance to succeed with the top line and big minutes? Maybe Knight is a bust, but I would like to see him to get the opportunity to show that he isn't like some other B's prospects have.

You look at the situation and say, there can't be anything to this because the B's management wouldn't allow it. I look at the situation and what HAS happened (lack of TOI, lack of play with skilled linemates, being benched for ECHL call ups, and on and on) and say that there is something to this.

I love the B's, but they can be wrong. Just look at what happened with Sobotka and Clode. Do I think Clode is an excellent coach? Absolutely. I also think he missed the boat on Sobotka and handled him incorrectly with the benchings and micro-managing. He killed his confidence and had him questioning his play. I see Cassidy doing the same thing with Knight.

My personal opinion about coaching on any level is that the X's and O's are relatively easy. It's knowing your players and getting the most out of different personalities that is the challenge. Some kids need a kick in the ass, some need a pat on the back. It isn't one size fits all, and maybe that's the issue? Not close enough to the situation to say that's it, but it wouldn't shock me if it was. And before anybody says, well he has coached on a pro level, so he should know that, I would counter with the fact that some coaches who have success with their methods tend to get more rigid in their ways, not less as time goes on.

I am happy to see Subban progressing. People need to remember that he started in the net later than most kids and has likely relied on his athleticism to make up for his lack of experience. That works up until a certain level, but once you get to the pros, everybody is pretty athletic, so the technique needs to be honed.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Your typical canned response pretty much.

Oh, for God's sake, of course I meant this, not that :laugh:

In most sports franchises, the GM's make the acquisitions and the coaches are in charge of utilizing the personnel as they see fit. Obviously, if it is overly dysfunctional the coach or GM will cease to be there. I have pointed this out before and you must have missed it, but as much as I do believe that Cassidy is mishandling Knight (and others), I also don't think it would be good for the organization to allow the players to go around the coach or the GM to publicly question him during the season. Stuff like that will do even more damage to an organization than an incompetent coach.

Please explain to me how Zach Hamill was just bad for the years that he was here, yet continued to get every chance to succeed with the top line and big minutes? Maybe Knight is a bust, but I would like to see him to get the opportunity to show that he isn't like some other B's prospects have.

You look at the situation and say, there can't be anything to this because the B's management wouldn't allow it. I look at the situation and what HAS happened (lack of TOI, lack of play with skilled linemates, being benched for ECHL call ups, and on and on) and say that there is something to this.

I love the B's, but they can be wrong. Just look at what happened with Sobotka and Clode. Do I think Clode is an excellent coach? Absolutely. I also think he missed the boat on Sobotka and handled him incorrectly with the benchings and micro-managing. He killed his confidence and had him questioning his play. I see Cassidy doing the same thing with Knight.

My personal opinion about coaching on any level is that the X's and O's are relatively easy. It's knowing your players and getting the most out of different personalities that is the challenge. Some kids need a kick in the ass, some need a pat on the back. It isn't one size fits all, and maybe that's the issue? Not close enough to the situation to say that's it, but it wouldn't shock me if it was. And before anybody says, well he has coached on a pro level, so he should know that, I would counter with the fact that some coaches who have success with their methods tend to get more rigid in their ways, not less as time goes on.

I am happy to see Subban progressing. People need to remember that he started in the net later than most kids and has likely relied on his athleticism to make up for his lack of experience. That works up until a certain level, but once you get to the pros, everybody is pretty athletic, so the technique needs to be honed.

You tell her Joe!!! You more than even Chiarelli believed in Soderberg and Sobotka and I would suggest she would be wise to try to learn from you and not disagree. People wouldn't have such a problem with her views if they were really yours and mine

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
You tell her Joe!!! You more than even Chiarelli believed in Soderberg and Sobotka and I would suggest she would be wise to try to learn from you and not disagree. People wouldn't have such a problem with her views if they were really yours and mine

Even a broken clock is right twice a day, and I don't claim to be any special judge of talent. I could be completely wrong and often am.

All of this just doesn't smell right.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

Thank you so much for such extremely kind words. They're greatly appreciated.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya

I'll bite. Look at the forwards on Providence during Hamill's time as a top line guy.

Lehtonen, Whitfield, Knackstedt, Arniel, Kirk MacDonald, etc. I hate to say that Forwards on the farm are better now than then, but I get the feeling that's the case.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I'll bite. Look at the forwards on Providence during Hamill's time as a top line guy.

Lehtonen, Whitfield, Knackstedt, Arniel, Kirk MacDonald, etc. I hate to say that Forwards on the farm are better now than then, but I get the feeling that's the case.

I know DHK doesn't believe you..............:)

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock
Even muffy, who is typically stone-cold when it comes commenting on Jared Knight, has been impressed:

Mark Divver ‏@MarkDivver 2h
Liking Jared Knight's game tonight, building off strong effort on Sunday. He's been a bear along the boards.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Even muffy, who is typically stone-cold when it comes commenting on Jared Knight, has been impressed:

Mark Divver ‏@MarkDivver 2h
Liking Jared Knight's game tonight, building off strong effort on Sunday. He's been a bear along the boards.

Then he gets 45 seconds in the third- but Camara got benched and I don't think played a shift and when I went Sunday I thought Camara played great,

Whatever- don't get this coach and hopefully its all over soon;-) going tonight in Manchester

The Special K

Hoss MOFO, Hoss.
Sep 26, 2008
Canal Winchester, OH
I don't like the way Cassidy handles the players personally. I don't think he has a good grasp on how to develop talent. He seems far too quick to resort to the benching/scratching of his guys as recompense for bad play. These guys are learning and this is what the minors are for....if they can't make the mistakes to learn from there, where can they?

That said....great game by Griffith and another solid game by Koko...so happy that he was not traded....and hoping that he won't be either.

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Griffith will be good in Boston in a couple of years. He was damn good in the OHL, and has started to progress with Providence.

I'll watch him close today since Knight will only get 7 minutes. Seth has innate offensive ability and NHL quality hockey sense, he can manuver well around offensive zone; he needs to get stronger and keep improving his skating- NHL has two things : speed and strength. To me SG has the rest he needs to be able to jump a level in those two areas and he has a shot at doing what you say.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'll watch him close today since Knight will only get 7 minutes. Seth has innate offensive ability and NHL quality hockey sense, he can manuver well around offensive zone; he needs to get stronger and keep improving his skating- NHL has two things : speed and strength. To me SG has the rest he needs to be able to jump a level in those two areas and he has a shot at doing what you say.

All i read about this kid is whatever level he plays at, in spite of that skating, he scores. Honestly have seen about 2 games in Junior with him, don`t notice him a bit then Boom, pucks in the net

Hope he improves on the areas you mention, never a bad thing when a prospect develops, whether it`s to be promoted onto the big club or being a nice piece in a deal for someone else needed

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock
Griffith has progressed nicely ... From what I've seen, he's got great hands and a sniper's touch. He will get right in the mix and battle for the puck. He does lack the coveted "thickness" that Chiarelli covets and his skating is not elite by any means. Kid can score, but I see Boston being much more excited about a guy like Florek than a guy like Griffith at this point.

Honestly, Knight has all of the traits that the Bruins covet ... Size, "thickness", jam, "compete level", hands, elite skating ... Makes it all the more puzzling.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Griffith has progressed nicely ... From what I've seen, he's got great hands and a sniper's touch. He will get right in the mix and battle for the puck. He does lack the coveted "thickness" that Chiarelli covets and his skating is not elite by any means. Kid can score, but I see Boston being much more excited about a guy like Florek than a guy like Griffith at this point.

Honestly, Knight has all of the traits that the Bruins covet ... Size, "thickness", jam, "compete level", hands, elite skating ... Makes it all the more puzzling.

Agree on Florek vs SG- bottom six grinder skillet very safe guy- coaches don't lose hair or take Tums because of this guy

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Went to the game today and watched Knight get in his 8 minutes or so....so without further ado (forget drum roll cue up Karn Evil #9 by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer)

The Good- Knight got his pound of flesh early and often. I counted three fallen Monarchs after he slammed them; a fourth tumbled over in the second trying to side step, and my friend was pissed at him for hitting her guy Linden Vey hard along the boards when he didn't have to:shakehead (well, she was wearing his shirt, but its hockey honey). To me, he looked pretty fast and his physical game was there. Robins had a bunch of hits but Bobby seemed to me to not get a lot of bulls eyes like Knight did in his rationed minutes. He also made a couple of nice breakout passes, took out the goalie/net in the third ending in the net and stopping the game (he should have gotten goalie interference but because Griffith was called earlier in the period the refs let it go); He drew a holding interference take down penalty in the second as well. For 8 minutes he sure looked NHL fast and physical to me. But what do I know, I just post on this stupid goofy childish message board for those with no life, friends, and a bunch of disorders and phobias (spiders freak me out).

The BAD- had trouble (again) getting the puck out of his zone; Cassidy for some reason has him playing left wing and Knight can be an adventure at times when pressured getting the puck out. Me, I'd put Knight at RW, he certainly looks more comfortable there to me and if the game plan is to make him more valuable as a guy that can play both wings- sounds great, but why doesn't Cassidy play him there to get experience at it- learn in the minors? I'd like to see him on the right side but beggars cant be choosers.

The UGLY- his TOI: Knight looked pretty damn good overall to me especially in what I look for which is NHL skills mostly skating, decisions, and physical play- but I knew that because they were behind going into the third, Coach Panic would likely go with the 'Catch your breath format' and he did....

he went with Cunningham-Spooner-Florek the first shift; then came out with his second line of Lindblad-Koko-Griffith; went right back to Spooner line for the third shift; back to Koko for the fourth; then back to Spooner again. I realize he was trying to get back in it- but I kinda noticed some of the boys not playing much defense mid way thru the third and it led to an odd man rush and a goal by Livingstone of the Monarchs. They reminded me of my Men's League days when I shortened the ice by eliminating my defensive zone. :thumbu: Eventually, he put the third line out with Flick centering Robins and Camara but even they got maybe 2 minutes. Knight's line got maybe a minute over 2 shifts but Knight took out the net so that was it for him. I personally kind of liked it;) but maybe Coach Panic didn't.

Ok, I've hijacked the board again:) but I will never take it personally if you put me on ignore and avoid me and my Knight reviews. I do think this guy is a horrible coach- one of the worst I have ever seen but I only go back to Harry Sinden for a frame of reference

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
Went to the game today and watched Knight get in his 8 minutes or so....so without further ado (forget drum roll cue up Karn Evil #9 by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer)

The Good- Knight got his pound of flesh early and often. I counted three fallen Monarchs after he slammed them; a fourth tumbled over in the second trying to side step, and my friend was pissed at him for hitting her guy Linden Vey hard along the boards when he didn't have to:shakehead (well, she was wearing his shirt, but its hockey honey). To me, he looked pretty fast and his physical game was there. Robins had a bunch of hits but Bobby seemed to me to not get a lot of bulls eyes like Knight did in his rationed minutes. He also made a couple of nice breakout passes, took out the goalie/net in the third ending in the net and stopping the game (he should have gotten goalie interference but because Griffith was called earlier in the period the refs let it go); He drew a holding interference take down penalty in the second as well. For 8 minutes he sure looked NHL fast and physical to me. But what do I know, I just post on this stupid goofy childish message board for those with no life, friends, and a bunch of disorders and phobias (spiders freak me out).

The BAD- had trouble (again) getting the puck out of his zone; Cassidy for some reason has him playing left wing and Knight can be an adventure at times when pressured getting the puck out. Me, I'd put Knight at RW, he certainly looks more comfortable there to me and if the game plan is to make him more valuable as a guy that can play both wings- sounds great, but why doesn't Cassidy play him there to get experience at it- learn in the minors? I'd like to see him on the right side but beggars cant be choosers.

The UGLY- his TOI: Knight looked pretty damn good overall to me especially in what I look for which is NHL skills mostly skating, decisions, and physical play- but I knew that because they were behind going into the third, Coach Panic would likely go with the 'Catch your breath format' and he did....

he went with Cunningham-Spooner-Florek the first shift; then came out with his second line of Lindblad-Koko-Griffith; went right back to Spooner line for the third shift; back to Koko for the fourth; then back to Spooner again. I realize he was trying to get back in it- but I kinda noticed some of the boys not playing much defense mid way thru the third and it led to an odd man rush and a goal by Livingstone of the Monarchs. They reminded me of my Men's League days when I shortened the ice by eliminating my defensive zone. :thumbu: Eventually, he put the third line out with Flick centering Robins and Camara but even they got maybe 2 minutes. Knight's line got maybe a minute over 2 shifts but Knight took out the net so that was it for him. I personally kind of liked it;) but maybe Coach Panic didn't.

Ok, I've hijacked the board again:) but I will never take it personally if you put me on ignore and avoid me and my Knight reviews. I do think this guy is a horrible coach- one of the worst I have ever seen but I only go back to Harry Sinden for a frame of reference

Thanks for the detailed insight. There is no question Cassidy is making questionable roster decisions. I guess we have to play out the year and hope for a change. In my opinion, Knight's too valuable of a prospect to lose.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Griffith will be good in Boston in a couple of years. He was damn good in the OHL, and has started to progress with Providence.

I LOVED the pick at the time, looks even better now. Can't go wrong picking that much talent in the 5th round, you're unlikely to get anything, anyway.

He was boom or bust, looks like he's progressing very well... Very good stats for a rookie. Could be something special. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad